Your take on the season so far?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

IMO we have a much poorer squad than we've had in a good few years.

We play much better against the bigger teams than we do against the so called smaller one's. (Except Dundee Utd and Aberdeen away).

Csaba has improved the worsened (I know its not a word) squad beyond belief.

Lee Wallace is playing the way we all thought he would as a youngster (Csaba's doing IMO).

Obua is finally playing in a manner suited to the Scottish game.

Aguiar is a breathe of fresh air.

Although tonight will be awash of the fact that we didn't beat St Laydown (Which we should have), I'm pretty happy with the way things are going this season.

Kingston has proved to be a selfish wee fecker who doesn't care for the shirt.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the season.

Pretty much agree with the opening post.

Basically Csaba has instilled some organisation and motivation into the players that has been lacking in the last 2 seasons.

We've been pretty solid at the back so far and the big challenge now is if Csaba can keep us solid for the remainder of the season in the absence of Berra. If he can manage it we could easily sneak third, which would be a tremendous improvement.

As you say, we do appear to have a weaker squad than last season but are still sitting in that 3rd place in spite of this. Is it because that rest of the league teams are poorer this time round?-I don't know, but still am quite positive that we can get that 3rd spot. And the hobos again oblige to give us hours of entertainment with their 'flair' football and clueless manager - it could be worse. :108years:

chester copperpot

Basically Csaba has instilled some organisation and motivation into the players that has been lacking in the last 2 seasons.

We've been pretty solid at the back so far and the big challenge now is if Csaba can keep us solid for the remainder of the season in the absence of Berra. If he can manage it we could easily sneak third, which would be a tremendous improvement.

Oh yeah, and Miko's been an absolute sensation. :laugh:;)

Gimme an H...
IMO we have a much poorer squad than we've had in a good few years.

We play much better against the bigger teams than we do against the so called smaller one's. (Except Dundee Utd and Aberdeen away).

Csaba has improved the worsened (I know its not a word) squad beyond belief.

Lee Wallace is playing the way we all thought he would as a youngster (Csaba's doing IMO).

Obua is finally playing in a manner suited to the Scottish game.

Aguiar is a breathe of fresh air.

Although tonight will be awash of the fact that we didn't beat St Laydown (Which we should have), I'm pretty happy with the way things are going this season.

Kingston has proved to be a selfish wee fecker who doesn't care for the shirt.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the season.

Agree with it all mate, also another couple of points to make.

Kara and Nade would have to be in the 'breath of fresh air' category. Csaba's spot of Kara playing the holding role was a stroke of genius and think he has the mentality, the leadership, the toughness and the ability to read the game to play very well in that position.

Nade, not much else needed to say other than last season he was a fat ******* not giving a ****, now he's a machine that does a **** load upfront (maybe a few less goals than we would like) and now plays for Hearts, the shirt and the fans. Shown by the way him and Bruno had their little spat after they scored, hate to see us scored against but like to see that the players actually care.

Anyway, would love to see us next season under Csaba in a team that he has built, like what he says about 70% scottish (I think?) and mix of young and old etc. If he gets the tools he wants (?) I think next season can be a good one. Still think we'll get 3rd this season aswell.

Mon the Hearts!

As I said on the Miko thread this season has been a proper season. A proper manager being left to manage his players and mould his teams.

Yes there have been some disappointments but there have been some brilliant matches. No longer are we turning up expecting to see the players throw in the towel. We are more resilient which has been shown by games like Aberdeen, ICT (3-2), Motherwell (3-2) and Falkrik (2-1). All of those games we would probably have lost the point(s) last season and the season before.

We are not going to win every game. Everyone has to accept that. But we are fighting, playing well (at times) and generally looking like a football team.

There will be more ups and downs between now and the end of the season but I say bring it on.

As I said on the Miko thread this season has been a proper season. A proper manager being left to manage his players and mould his teams.

Yes there have been some disappointments but there have been some brilliant matches. No longer are we turning up expecting to see the players throw in the towel. We are more resilient which has been shown by games like Aberdeen, ICT (3-2), Motherwell (3-2) and Falkrik (2-1). All of those games we would probably have lost the point(s) last season and the season before.

We are not going to win every game. Everyone has to accept that. But we are fighting, playing well (at times) and generally looking like a football team.

There will be more ups and downs between now and the end of the season but I say bring it on.

Completely agree. :thumb:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Doing alright. I'm just chuffed we are operating as a normal football club.

This time last season our season was long finished. Still much more excitement to come out of this one. :)

J.T.F.Robertson

Unless we can somehow come up with a scorer, there's no way we'll get third, imo. It's a real pity, because, as you say, we seem relatively steady at the back and the difference a real goal poacher would have made, can't be over emphasized.

Whatever, it's certainly a lot more encouraging than the past couple of demoralising seasons.

Csaba has organised this poor squad better than I ever thought any other manager could. Its great to return to normality, have a good fight for 3rd place with little disruption off the pitch.

I think this squad would finish bottom 6 under any other of Vlad's managers but Laszlo has got us in pole position for the 3rd place spot. Its definitely not going to be easy, and if we do get 3rd it will be an amazing achievement, especially with the squad that Csaba has at his disposal.

chester copperpot
Csaba has organised this poor squad better than I ever thought any other manager could. Its great to return to normality, have a good fight for 3rd place with little disruption off the pitch.

I think this squad would finish bottom 6 under any other of Vlad's managers but Laszlo has got us in pole position for the 3rd place spot. Its definitely not going to be easy, and if we do get 3rd it will be an amazing achievement, especially with the squad that Csaba has at his disposal.

Probably better put than anyone else ever could have.

Pretty much agree that it is a step up from last season, but we could and should be doing better imo.

Going out with the attitude to scrape by in games with the odd goal leaves us open to what happened today.

Csaba as well as he has done still irritates me with his reluctance to try something new, wetehr that be young players or formation. Moving right backs to centre half, midfielders to centre half, Jonsson to forward has more often than not, not worked, his only success in that has been Karipidis to midfield. McGowan, Rapnik(when here) and Balatoni are/were imo capable stand ins at centre half.

Overall still happy to be 3rd, but i think that says more about the state of SPL football than anything Csaba has done.

off the pitch.

I think this squad would finish bottom 6 under any other of Vlad's managers .

This squad/team/set-up would imo have us fighting relegation if you go back 8-10years.

chester copperpot
Pretty much agree that it is a step up from last season, but we could and should be doing better imo.

Going out with the attitude to scrape by in games with the odd goal leaves us open to what happened today.

Csaba as well as he has done still irritates me with his reluctance to try something new, wetehr that be young players or formation. Moving right backs to centre half, midfielders to centre half, Jonsson to forward has more often than not, not worked, his only success in that has been Karipidis to midfield. McGowan, Rapnik(when here) and Balatoni are/were imo capable stand ins at centre half.

Overall still happy to be 3rd, but i think that says more about the state of SPL football than anything Csaba has done.

The only part of the post I disagree with mate. Sorry.

This squad/team/set-up would imo have us fighting relegation if you go back 8-10years.

15 years, yes. 8-10 years ago, there were as many complaints about the standard of the SPL as now - albeit the OF spent big and had a number of quality players.

There have been plenty of times in the last few seasons when we should have been doing better - a lot better. Now isn't one of them. We are reduced to the bare bones - still no striker twelve months on and so short of cover that we had a right back and a utility player in central defence today. As has been said before, it's not far short of miraculous that we are currently in third. As for going out to scrape wins: that's really all we're capable of at the moment. Apart from the two-goal margins at ER and Rugby Park, all of our wins have come in games which could have gone either way.

chester copperpot
poor to watch, hard to beat, screwed by officialdom as usual, vast improvement on last year, but entertainment value nil

Thanks for that insightful look at HMFC. FFS.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Thanks for that insightful look at HMFC. FFS.

He has summed it up rather well though. :laugh:

Well you cannot say this season has not been a hit or miss, its good to finally

have a manager in place the only gripe I have got is that with a couple of astute signings we could be walking away with third place. As I have said before we will get more results like today.

Grumpy.

There have been plenty of times in the last few seasons when we should have been doing better - a lot better. Now isn't one of them. We are reduced to the bare bones - still no striker twelve months on and so short of cover that we had a right back and a utility player in central defence today. As has been said before, it's not far short of miraculous that we are currently in third. As for going out to scrape wins: that's really all we're capable of at the moment. Apart from the two-goal margins at ER and Rugby Park, all of our wins have come in games which could have gone either way.

Could all be covered by players who play in those positions in the reserves imo.

I don't think we could be doing any better position in the league wise, but performance wise we certainly could imo.

Csaba has simply stabilised things and got the team playing like a team. It may not be of the standards of yesteryear but it`s a start.

There`s potential in many players and there`s players who need to go. I really hope Csaba gets to gradually hone the team the way he wants to, by getting in who he wants and getting rid of who he wants.

We look at the team and know what`s wrong and what`s needed but i hope the players in possession of the jersey keep fighting for the cause and get us into europe. In the end out of a low standard division, we are still one of the better sides and so far we`ve got the results without being too flashy.

a vast improvement from last season, with a proper manager in place who is doing his own thing rather than the weird stuff from the last few seasons (which also shows with my attendance at games rather than staying in the pub). We have seen how players are improving with proper training and management, we are in a position i did not think we would be in this season, i hoped that we would be in a top 6 finish at best.

The entirely justified complaint of so many on here always used to be that hardly any of our players had demonstrably improved under the Romanov regime. Proper coaching and decent management have at last changed this. How many players have improved compared with last season or the year before? I'd argue Aguiar, Karipidis, Jonsson, Driver, Wallace, Nade and Neilson all have; ditto Berra before he was sold, Palazuelos and Cesnauskis probably; heck, even Zaliukas on occasion! A number of the younger players are still inconsistent, and boy oh boy do we need a goalscorer; the level of entertainment clearly isn't great.

But for a first season in charge, that's not half bad. Finally, we are playing as a team, able to come from behind as well as see games out (today being a rare exception) and with incomparable levels of morale to before Csaba took over. He seems inflexible, negative at times, and a lot better at preparing a team beforehand than making changes mid-stream - but these are constructive criticisms, and things that can be worked on. That's a world away from where we were as recently as last summer: this campaign should provide a solid platform from which to build.

Seven and a half out of ten for the season so far; eight if we finish 3rd.

Frustration.

Perfect term for this season. We may not have the best squad we have seen at Hearts, we may be losing good players and failing to replace them, but we are still (somehow) holding on to a respectable league position. On our day (when I say on our day, I mean the day that the opposition line up in such a way that means our 4-5-1 works) we can win and do okay, but that day does not dawn often.

Why is that? I dunno, some on here say Laszlo and some on here say the other teams are poorer. I would say it is probably a bit of both, however I do not feel that Laszlo is the messiah* others think he is. I feel the benefit has been the players have felt secure having a boss.

This season has been one of "work in progress" unfortunately of late the "work" has been weakening the team and the squad. We have big issues in defence and up front, how we cope with that is up in the air at the moment. If they are not sorted in the summer then IMO there are larger fears that surround our club.

Frustration.

Perfect term for this season. We may not have the best squad we have seen at Hearts, we may be losing good players and failing to replace them, but we are still (somehow) holding on to a respectable league position. On our day (when I say on our day, I mean the day that the opposition line up in such a way that means our 4-5-1 works) we can win and do okay, but that day does not dawn often.

Why is that? I dunno, some on here say Laszlo and some on here say the other teams are poorer. I would say it is probably a bit of both, however I do not feel that Laszlo is the messiah* others think he is. I feel the benefit has been the players have felt secure having a boss.

This season has been one of "work in progress" unfortunately of late the "work" has been weakening the team and the squad. We have big issues in defence and up front, how we cope with that is up in the air at the moment. If they are not sorted in the summer then IMO there are larger fears that surround our club.

Not disagreeing that strongly, BH - but your last sentence. Surely if players are sold and the wage bill slashed, that would actually help alleviate any remaining larger fears surrounding the club?

My take on the season so far is:

We have improved, but that is thanks to Csaba and his team providing a stable background.

We have done it with nearly the same squad of players.

We all know the obvious one about scoring goals.

The OP said about performances against the top 6 and bottom 6. Am I right in saying that we have only won 2 games v Top 6 opposition this season? (Rangers & Aberdeen) Would that not suggest the roles reversed as in we are doing better against teams we should be beating than recent years (apart from today)?

PresidentRomanov
Not disagreeing that strongly, BH - but your last sentence. Surely if players are sold and the wage bill slashed, that would actually help alleviate any remaining larger fears surrounding the club?

Coming from someone who hasn't seen the current team once, that's some statement :mw_rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth

Certainly better than last season, but then again that wouldn't be difficult!

Last season we had no manager, no one with any clue, and were like a rudderless ship drifting in the ocean, this season we have Csaba in charge and he has prised us into 3rd place with more or less the same bunch of dross from last season, so credit where it's due to Csaba for that.

I cant help feeling that Csaba is too negative though with his formations and selections, and at times we should be going for it more rather than thinking negatively (Ruben coming on instead of Miko today a prime example)

All in all though, I cant help feeling that when Csaba gets his own squad of players in there and builds his own team, that we are going to be much stronger and a bit more exciting than we are just now and I think he's making the best use of what he has at his disposal.

To be sitting in 3rd place at this stage in the season gets pass marks from me though :)

Coming from someone who hasn't seen the current team once, that's some statement :mw_rolleyes:

Oh? So you have larger fears then? That's all I was trying to get at: if players were sold, I imagine next season wouldn't be easy, but we'd still end up mid-table and in a much healthier long term position. Don't you want that yourself?

Paisley Jambo

Green shoots of recovery appear to be there. :)

Manager appears to be picking team at last, but unfortunately, it is out of players that Romanov's disasterous meddling has brought to the club. :mad:

If Laszlo sticks around, and is allowed to operate within a budget to bring in his players the future is optomistic. His players would mean his tactics, as surely he is playing the system he feels is most appropriate for the personnel VR has provided him with. This would also mean shipping some of the dross back to Lithuania.

I am far more optomistic than I was this time last year. Third place is a possibility and depending on Scottish Cup maybe even fourth.

I am pleased with CLs first season because almost all players are showing commitment.We are playing to our strengths ,allowing for squad weaknesses and we are 3rd.

On top of that Cl signings the Balough and Obua are looking good.Indeed the hopeless Obua could bring in a lot of money for the club.IMO he is on his way to the Premiership.

I wasn't pointing to anything like the "A" word that circulated in the past.

What I was suggesting was if we get to September 1st and have not signed a striker, then that will be three consecutive transfer windows that we would have desperately needed a striker and failed to get one. That would alarm me greatly about the direction of the club.

The guys on the pitch are pretty much the same as we had last season (apart from Obua and Balogh).

Last season we finished 8th....this season we are 2 points clear in 3rd....Reason to be happy :)

I wasn't pointing to anything like the "A" word that circulated in the past.

What I was suggesting was if we get to September 1st and have not signed a striker, then that will be three consecutive transfer windows that we would have desperately needed a striker and failed to get one. That would alarm me greatly about the direction of the club.

Ah, cool. You're dead right - and the kind of economies many clubs will be making over the next few months won't excuse neglect of the team.

Ah, cool. You're dead right - and the kind of economies many clubs will be making over the next few months won't excuse neglect of the team.

Of course, IIRC, Billy Mehmet and Andy Dorman have over half a dozen goals each. We do not need to spend fortunes to get goals in this league.

Archived