U19s v Rangers

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

A poor 2nd half performance against 10 men ended up with the U19s losing 2-0 today.

Hearts put out a decent team (4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 to be more exact)

Ridgers

C Thomson D McGowan Balatoni Brown

Mackenzie Mulrooney Stewart Husband Novikovas

Cowan

Hearts played well in the first half with decent passing. There were a few hard challenges with Novikovas and Cowan being shown yellow cards before the Rangers left back was shown a straight red for a lunge at Thompson after 30 mins.

Hearts then proceeded to make some good chances with the Rangers keeper making good stops from Novikovas and Thomson while Stewart just missed the target with a sidefoot shot just before the break.

Mackenzie went off with an injury at HT with Visconte coming on in his place.

In the 1st min of the 2nd half Mulrooney missed a great chance when he was through one on one with the keeper but dragged his shot wide. After that it was all downhill.

Darren Murray appeared to change the formation to 4-4-1-1 for the 2nd half but didn't seem to help any. Hearts saw lots of possession but could not penetrate Rangers defence. Rangers were content to hit on the break particularly through the pace of their No 7 Archie Campbell (decent player with lots of pace who I remember from the Victory Shield games of a couple of years ago). Rangers scored through an o.g from Thomson and a good volley from Campbell.

The disappointing thing for me was that Hearts only uppped the tempo and pushed men forward after they had gone 2-0 down and bringing on Wallace and Wagner for Novikovas and Husband. Darren Murray was very quiet throughout the 2nd half and I thought that he could have done more to get the youngsters to push on much more particularly aginst 10 men.

Best for Hearts were McGowan and Mackenzie. Wallace looked sharp when he came on, but Visconte looks to have lost a lot of confidence and pace since his lay off.

Footballfirst
how fast is mckenzie btw

Mckenzie & Wallace are both exceptionally quick but I don't think either has much composure when it comes to finishing.

I was sorry to see him go off at HT. He looked in a bit of pain with an ice pack on his right knee.

Archived