The sad state of Scottish "fitbaw"

lewis2006

Scottish fitbaw is in a sad state right now with very few positives.

Motherwell's pitch resembles a tattie field.

Mixu's Hibs playing style resemble the Wimbledon Crazy gang

The Arabs fail to keep another top player to the tims...Floods a player who will find himself warming the bench and serving pies at the tattiedrome at half time.

St Mirren have sold their soles to the corporate machine that is Tesco and now find themselves in a stadium that looks like Lego land. They then publicly slate a fellow SPL club for refusing to bend over backwards for THEM to change fixtures so THEY can coin 80 grand from Sky.

Rangers are in such a bad way financially they openly whored themselves to the media in January to sell one of their top players. A player who has scored over 20 goals this season. For a mere ?3 million.....sweetie money on the grand scale of things.

Strachan's Celtic play the worst football I've seen them produce ever...and that includes under O'neill. Once again papped out of Europe by a diddy Norwegian mob and it now looks like they could possibly blow a 7 point lead to the worst Rangers team going.

The only 2 positives from this season are Billy Reid's Hamilton and Csaba Laszlo's Hearts. Who under difficult circumstances have both punched above their weight this season and brought out the best with young, scottish squads.

There are no positives in the gashness of Scottish fitbaw. The only time it became vaugley interesting is when it looked like it may become a 3 horse race for the title a few years ago, now it's like "Ooh I wonder who'll finish 3rd this year, play 1 game in Europe and get put out." Total pish, the SPL really is the laughing stock of Europe. That's why i don't go to many games, paying money to watch such standards of football offends me.

There are no positives in the gashness of Scottish fitbaw. The only time it became vaugley interesting is when it looked like it may become a 3 horse race for the title a few years ago, now it's like "Ooh I wonder who'll finish 3rd this year, play 1 game in Europe and get put out." Total pish, the SPL really is the laughing stock of Europe. That's why i don't go to many games, paying money to watch such standards of football offends me.

You should try watching the english conference for ?13 ( or ?16 if you need to sit) then you would have something to complain about!!!:laugh:

turnhouse_steve

Absolute gash.

Watch bits of well v saints last night. Summed up when saints player in acres of open space and a dropping ball coming to him headed it out. No skill, no confidence and not allowed to play anything like football.

remember watching as castle grayskull under jeffries and playing for a draw from the outset and losing to an albertz goal near the end, thought to myself I would rather have been beaten 5 -2 or something and tried to play than watch what was on offer.

Losing the will to watch any game in spl.:ahhhhhhh:

Moaning faced gits. Fact. End of.

Care to remind us when exactly Scottish Football was at the top of the European tree?

"Laughing stock" is a phrase that is banded about far too easily, whether it be in reference to our country, or our club. How the fuu do people on here know what other Europeans think of our league?

You sound like some neutral mate, not a Jambo!

Care to remind us when exactly Scottish Football was at the top of the European tree?

"Laughing stock" is a phrase that is banded about far too easily, whether it be in reference to our country, or our club. How the fuu do people on here know what other Europeans think of our league?

They think it's pish. It is the least competitive league in Europe where only 2 teams win things and on the odd occasion someone else manages to win a cup. The standard is appaling, most of the stadiums are an embarassment, TV coverage is a joke, performances in Europe are generally laughable. Like i said, a laughing stock. It's also the most overpriced league in Europe, asking someone to spend ?20+ on Hearts v St Mirren is completely unacceptable when compared with leagues such as the Bundesliga and La Liga which represent greater value for money.

It's also the most overpriced league in Europe, asking someone to spend ?20+ on Hearts v St Mirren is completely unacceptable when compared with leagues such as the Bundesliga and La Liga which represent greater value for money.

True.

SectionDJambo

Can anyone shed light on how the German League as an example, can have an admission charge of around ?10 when they pay their players far more than the Scottish League does. The cost to get into our games is ridiculously high.

Is it all TV money, advertising or what?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Ive been watching Hearts (and football in general) since 1984 and I have heard this kind of thing every year. So the SPL isnt great but its no where near as bad as some leagues. I think some of the football played up here is quite good to be honest. A lot of teams have good young (Scottish) talent where there used to be an over abbundance of foreign dross. Whether we like it or not we ARE a small country, smaller than Denmark or Belguim, but i dont see too many people getting a hard-on about how good their football is.

With all due respect to the OP, if you dont like it, dont watch it.

Scottish fitbaw is in a sad state right now with very few positives.

Motherwell's pitch resembles a tattie field.

Mixu's Hibs playing style resemble the Wimbledon Crazy gang

The Arabs fail to keep another top player to the tims...Floods a player who will find himself warming the bench and serving pies at the tattiedrome at half time.

St Mirren have sold their soles to the corporate machine that is Tesco and now find themselves in a stadium that looks like Lego land. They then publicly slate a fellow SPL club for refusing to bend over backwards for THEM to change fixtures so THEY can coin 80 grand from Sky.

Rangers are in such a bad way financially they openly whored themselves to the media in January to sell one of their top players. A player who has scored over 20 goals this season. For a mere ?3 million.....sweetie money on the grand scale of things.

Strachan's Celtic play the worst football I've seen them produce ever...and that includes under O'neill. Once again papped out of Europe by a diddy Norwegian mob and it now looks like they could possibly blow a 7 point lead to the worst Rangers team going.

The only 2 positives from this season are Billy Reid's Hamilton and Csaba Laszlo's Hearts. Who under difficult circumstances have both punched above their weight this season and brought out the best with young, scottish squads.

And, most damningly, referees are having more influence on the outcome of a game than players and coaches. :mad:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

One thing that's wrong with Scottish football is the complete and utter lack of collective spirit and encouragement. Despite St Mirren making a stadium move that will benefit themselves and Scottish football in the long run, fans of other teams describe it like this:

St Mirren have sold their soles to the corporate machine that is Tesco and now find themselves in a stadium that looks like Lego land.

One thing that's wrong with Scottish football is the complete and utter lack of collective spirit and encouragement. Despite St Mirren making a stadium move that will benefit themselves and Scottish football in the long run, fans of other teams describe it like this:

St Mirren have sold their soles to the corporate machine that is Tesco and now find themselves in a stadium that looks like Lego land.

And your point is?:laugh:

One thing that's wrong with Scottish football is the complete and utter lack of collective spirit and encouragement.

Well said mate.

Maybe if more Scots spent more time watching football in their own league instead of getting stiffies over whats going on south of the border then we wouldnt be so "humble".

Its a sad state of affairs when folk up here get more bothered about the EPL than they do about their "own" league.

If its a choice between sitting watching in the rain watching Hearts take on St Mirren in another dire SPL encounter or sitting at home watching a premiership match of your choice..... I know what wins for me every time.

Gimme the cold, harsh, wet, expensive day out at Tynie any day.

scots civil war

the game up here,as well as most of europe, looks pale in comparison to the english game nowadays.....totally reasonable thanks to that **** rupert murdoch and his ultra capitalist doctrines

however,hearts will probably have a great chance of doing some serious damage to the old firm if romanov listens and acts on csabas wishes,on obtaining new players,in the close season.i fancy another split next season

the weedgies are **** and theyre in financial trouble

that and the sfa ******s becoming more accountable as well,re post brines aberdeen fiasco

roll on next season

the game up here,as well as most of europe, looks pale in comparison to the english game nowadays.....totally reasonable thanks to that **** rupert murdoch and his ultra capitalist doctrines

Trendy lefty alert. :o

They all started from the same base. Nothing to do with capitalism, Mr Murdoch simply opted for the most attractive cost/benefit option. That's what busines is about.

Can anyone shed light on how the German League as an example, can have an admission charge of around ?10 when they pay their players far more than the Scottish League does. The cost to get into our games is ridiculously high.

Is it all TV money, advertising or what?

two differences -

massive average crowds allow lower ticket prices.

massive and i mean massive tv deals - The Sirius group, connected to the pay-television entrepreneur Leo Kirch, had offered the ?3 billion, or $4.72 billion, six-year deal to the Bundesliga, starting in 2009, guaranteeing the league about ?60 million a year more than it receives now.

Last season, I'd have been inclined to agree with you. There were threads on here bemoaning the quality of the league after a campaign in which Rangers had reached the UEFA Cup Final, Celtic the CL last 16, Aberdeen gone further than any other non-OF club in Europe in 19 years, and Scotland won away in France. Motherwell played some marvellous stuff, and were a breath of fresh air at times; and most SPL clubs seemed to be progressing and running themselves properly, with Hearts a depressing exception.

But now? A struggling national team. An SPL so greedy that it tried to undermine the national team's chances still further. Refereeing standards which have never been lower. The worst results in Europe in living memory. An uninspiring battle for third place between three average going on moderately competent sides; and a dire Old Firm who are still way ahead of the rest. Both have got worse, and whoever wins the title this season will be the weakest Champions I can ever remember. And trust me, I'm not usually given to such hyperbole.

Hearts' revival and Hamilton's remarkable results are two of the very few positives. I can hardly think of any others. It's been a dispiriting season overall (though not for us), and it's hard to see how things are likely to get any better.

Ive been watching Hearts (and football in general) since 1984 and I have heard this kind of thing every year. So the SPL isnt great but its no where near as bad as some leagues. I think some of the football played up here is quite good to be honest. A lot of teams have good young (Scottish) talent where there used to be an over abbundance of foreign dross. Whether we like it or not we ARE a small country, smaller than Denmark or Belguim, but i dont see too many people getting a hard-on about how good their football is.

With all due respect to the OP, if you dont like it, dont watch it.

Spot on! Ive been hearing the same thing since the 60's. Some people need a reality check. Scotland has a small population and as a result we have always had to fight above our weight. Our teams do their best with limited resorces and money, not to mention the stranglehold the ugly sisters have due to bigotry.

I agree if you go to Tynecastle to see Hearts playing like Real Madrid/Manchester Utd, then dont bother. If you dont like Scottish football dont go, but please stop spoiling it for others who fully understand the realism of the situation and still enjoy their Saturday afternoon out!!!

jack D and coke
They think it's pish. It is the least competitive league in Europe where only 2 teams win things and on the odd occasion someone else manages to win a cup. The standard is appaling, most of the stadiums are an embarassment, TV coverage is a joke, performances in Europe are generally laughable. Like i said, a laughing stock. It's also the most overpriced league in Europe, asking someone to spend ?20+ on Hearts v St Mirren is completely unacceptable when compared with leagues such as the Bundesliga and La Liga which represent greater value for money.

Thats exactly it for me. I dont think for any football match in the league you should be paying anymore than a tenner. It's a f***** liberty what you get screwed for for football up here considering there's virtually no chance of winning the league and a wee chance at a cup every 10 years. Our teams even get pumped in the intertoto or whatever the **** its called now.

Every league will eventually feel the pain when people get sick of being taken for mugs.

Thats exactly it for me. I dont think for any football match in the league you should be paying anymore than a tenner. It's a f***** liberty what you get screwed for for football up here considering there's virtually no chance of winning the league and a wee chance at a cup every 10 years. Our teams even get pumped in the intertoto or whatever the **** its called now.

Every league will eventually feel the pain when people get sick of being taken for mugs.

But you dont have to go!

Thousands obviously disagree with you.

There is not a lot of money in Scottish Football anyway and if prices were slashed to a tenner it would only get worse.

I think you must be on the wind up!!!!

jamboinglasgow
Well said mate.

Maybe if more Scots spent more time watching football in their own league instead of getting stiffies over whats going on south of the border then we wouldnt be so "humble".

Its a sad state of affairs when folk up here get more bothered about the EPL than they do about their "own" league.

If its a choice between sitting watching in the rain watching Hearts take on St Mirren in another dire SPL encounter or sitting at home watching a premiership match of your choice..... I know what wins for me every time.

Gimme the cold, harsh, wet, expensive day out at Tynie any day.

I agree with you, there is a horrible mentailty in Scotland and Britain that everything we do is ****. We then make it sound like having such a mentailty is great (such as the comedy) when in matter of fact it is damaging for the country. Britain and Scotland used to have the mentailty that we were great and we are great because we push ourselves to be the best in the world, climb huge moutains, explore remote areas, create world changing inventions. Now its the country is rubbish, we are the worst. We continuely go on what is bad about the country and not what is good. So we go on about obesity, child pregency, knife crime, poor railways etc like we are the only country that suffers this. Australia has a greater level of obesity but it continully improves its sports teams and celebrate victories. America has a huge teen pregency and worse violent crime but the american mentailty is to celebrate what is good about its country. Its not to say these problems are not dealt with and concern these countries, but they dont dwell on it.

Football can be the same here. People like to go on that the EPL is great and the SPl is rubbish, so they go on that ICT v St Mirren is an awful match to watch, but so is Wigan v Blackburn. To be honest in most leagues, the biggest teams are usually the games that excite most people. I watched AC Milian v Inter on Sunday and I thought it was a pretty poor match. I think people expect too much from games. To me the only exciting league is Spain, but even I would question a match between the middle teams or near bottom teams is that interesting.

I do think you can make the leagues much more interesting and Scotland needs to stop the old firm duoloply. It would feel more interesting if there was more than a two horse race and I think a progressive system where a team like Spartans could go up into the higher leagues as they have developed themselves better.

I agree with you, there is a horrible mentailty in Scotland and Britain that everything we do is ****. We then make it sound like having such a mentailty is great (such as the comedy) when in matter of fact it is damaging for the country. Britain and Scotland used to have the mentailty that we were great and we are great because we push ourselves to be the best in the world, climb huge moutains, explore remote areas, create world changing inventions. Now its the country is rubbish, we are the worst. We continuely go on what is bad about the country and not what is good. So we go on about obesity, child pregency, knife crime, poor railways etc like we are the only country that suffers this. Australia has a greater level of obesity but it continully improves its sports teams and celebrate victories. America has a huge teen pregency and worse violent crime but the american mentailty is to celebrate what is good about its country. Its not to say these problems are not dealt with and concern these countries, but they dont dwell on it.

Football can be the same here. People like to go on that the EPL is great and the SPl is rubbish, so they go on that ICT v St Mirren is an awful match to watch, but so is Wigan v Blackburn. To be honest in most leagues, the biggest teams are usually the games that excite most people. I watched AC Milian v Inter on Sunday and I thought it was a pretty poor match. I think people expect too much from games. To me the only exciting league is Spain, but even I would question a match between the middle teams or near bottom teams is that interesting.

I do think you can make the leagues much more interesting and Scotland needs to stop the old firm duoloply. It would feel more interesting if there was more than a two horse race and I think a progressive system where a team like Spartans could go up into the higher leagues as they have developed themselves better.

"The idiot who praises , with enthusiastic tone,

All centuries but this, and every country but his own."

W.S. Gilbert.

They all started from the same base. Nothing to do with capitalism, Mr Murdoch simply opted for the most attractive cost/benefit option. That's what busines is about.

I love the way you lot bow down to authority every time. I am sure Mr Murdoch really appreciates your deference.

Monopolies, cartels, protection rackets and nepotism. Is that what business is all about too?

J.T.F.Robertson

Add to that ..... or when people start losing their jobs and prioritizing kicks in.

And that will mean every league, EPL included.

J.T.F.Robertson
I love the way you lot bow down to authority every time. I am sure Mr Murdoch really appreciates your deference.

We're aw (Mr.)Adam Smith's bairns. :rolleyes:

Archived