Tram Contractor Walks-out

Stuart Lyon

German contractor has walked out in the huff over TIE's refusal to agree a contract value increase of ?80m. The original contract was a fixed price!!!!

Despite this the traffic restrictions in Princes street will go ahead but may be withdrawn if the situation continues beyond next week.

Death to the tram.

Seems to me that the trams are being re-introduced due to nostalgia and enviromental issues,surely the horse and cart would have been cheaper,quicker and safer.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

He'd be quicker walking in the town these days anyway

I'd like to think he flounced though

I P Knightley

Was it a fixed price in Sterling or Euro?

Either way, it shouldn't now affect completion of the project but if the former, it would be funnier.

Its time to put this ludicrous idea to bed and just stick with the buses.

Afterall the people of Edinburgh do not want this!!!

Its time to put this ludicrous idea to bed and just stick with the buses.

Afterall the people of Edinburgh do not want this!!!

Source?

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to them.

Source?

As I'm I. However, I don't live or pay cooncil tax in Edinburgh. :)

Say What Again
Source?

I'd be interested to know that too.

I'm another who's looking forward to the trams.

Goodness knows what the good citizens of Edinburgh will find to moan about a year after the trams are completed, though I'm sure they'll find something!

The Mighty Thor
I'd be interested to know that too.

I'm another who's looking forward to the trams.

Goodness knows what the good citizens of Edinburgh will find to moan about a year after the trams are completed, though I'm sure they'll find something!

I think the majority of them will be dead by the time this ill judged and poorly executed project comes to fruition.

Another example of The City of Edinburgh Council's shambolic transport (anti-car) policy, just like Straiton park and ride.

Cost ?5.3 million

Number of spaces: 600

Number of empty spaces at 12.45pm today: 492

Your Council tax money at work folks!

Source?

are you in cahoots with my brother to annoy me???

:laugh:

he only says he wants them to annoy me!

waste of time, effort and money. its not going to finish on time, and shure as hobos stink, not finishing anywhere near in budget

The trams are a great example of british councils trying to help their citizens by creating something massive that devises people on its merits. The amount of money being poured on this vanity project is obscene.

They seem to serve the slum areas of Edinburgh (pilton,crewe toll, granton, leith, telford etc) quite well but seem to have missed out a large portion of the city that will have to keep on using the 26 (8 buses every 20 minutes). But dont worry about the residents of Corstorphine, Most of Murrayfield, Drumbrae, East Craigs, Carrick Knowe etc as im sure they wont mind walking to Murrayfield or the Gyle to board.

If these things are successful i'll eat my laptop.

The Brow - while I don't think you will have to eat your laptop just be thankful that by the time the Dam Tram is running a laptop will be much, much smaller!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
The trams are a great example of british councils trying to help their citizens by creating something massive that devises people on its merits. The amount of money being poured on this vanity project is obscene.

They seem to serve the slum areas of Edinburgh (pilton,crewe toll, granton, leith, telford etc) quite well but seem to have missed out a large portion of the city that will have to keep on using the 26 (8 buses every 20 minutes). But dont worry about the residents of Corstorphine, Most of Murrayfield, Drumbrae, East Craigs, Carrick Knowe etc as im sure they wont mind walking to Murrayfield or the Gyle to board.

If these things are successful i'll eat my laptop.

Maybe 20 years ago. These days most of Leith is very nice indeed. No chance you can compare it to Pilton or Drylaw these days.

Signed - born and bred Leither.

I cannae wait for the trams to be operational.

Saturday, Home Match jump on a tram at Annandale Street, Zoom, zoom, off at Murrayfield, through Sainsbury's and into the BMC club for a small libation before the game.

After the game, repeat (in reverse, obviously) Absolutely stress free...........

Well it'll work for me, anyway

jamboinglasgow
Source?

I'm also really looking forward for it, have been since they first announced the plan.

Say What Again

Overheard a squad of taxi drivers arguing the 'tram subject' against another boy in the pub earlier.

Apart from roads being dug up (boo feckin hoo) which probably benefits them when they have a fare sitting in it! Their parting shot was "...and where does it run from eh? Leith to the airport. If you want to get to the airport from here (porty roundabout), you'll need to get a bus to the FECKIN tram and then get on it!!"

Yes, that is correct. Exactly the same as we'd have to do now from that area (No.26 then airport bus) on public transport - and still probably 1/4 the price of getting a cab.

So. I see your point somehow............

Oh no wait, yes, I do see it. You would lose out on an extortionate fare if I did that (?20 easy)........ Oh, wait again, you don't really care about the cost of the trams or the traffic chaos, you're worried that your long-time "license to print money" empire may be under threat!

Rant over and my posts on this thread over as the inevitable "we have to pay fuel, rental, yadda yadda p.i.sh" will follow. (Last rise in fares? Cos, fuel is up. Fuel came down, did the fares? :mw_rolleyes:)

Best one of those I heard tonight was in answer to "how come the Glasgow taxi's are cheaper?" (yes, he knew the council set the tariffs).

A: Cos our taxi's are cleaner. :_wtf___by_Green_Ogr

Like I give a flying f about that when walking home in the rain at 3.30am.

Sorry Bud, your taxi just doesn't reach the standards I'd expect of my transportation home ........... :mw_rolleyes:

Another claimed an ?8 fare for 5 mins 'in the cab' wasn't expensive. Over ?1 a min seems pretty expensive too me.

The driver said to the guy questioning him, "it's not expensive if there's 5 of you". Granted, it certainly is not, but there weren't 5 of them. So where's the 'single occupancy' discount? Oh yeah, there isn't one.

portobellojambo1
Is it just the one line they've got planned, by the way? Totally pointless if so, IMO.

It is the one line Neave, but it is serving the airport, and will speed all those tourists into the city so much quicker (anyone who thinks this is being built to help Edinburgh people is fecking braindead). The regular users of Edinburgh Airport, businessmen, will continue to get to and from it in taxis, and those of us who pop out of Edinburgh maybe once a year will probably continue to use that method of transport, or the perfectly adequate, existing bus no 100 (which takes you from the airport to Waverley Bridge, which as far as I am concerned is pretty damn fecking central).

Based on the cost of this tram line, and the fact they cannot find the money to build a short spur the very idea of additional tram lines being built in the future is laughable.

This one line is an additional tier of transport in Edinburgh, which already has one of the best public transport systems anywhere, an additional tier that is most definitely not needed.

It is a complete and utter waste of fecking money, money that could have been spent on a multitude of things that would have served everybody in Edinburgh. An even bigger insult is that much of the money being spent on constructing it is going abroad, the tracks are being built in Germany, the trams in Spain and the cabling is coming from France. I thought councils were supposed to serve their own communities.

It is the one line Neave, but it is serving the airport, and will speed all those tourists into the city so much quicker (anyone who thinks this is being built to help Edinburgh people is fecking braindead). The regular users of Edinburgh Airport, businessmen, will continue to get to and from it in taxis, and those of us who pop out of Edinburgh maybe once a year will probably continue to use that method of transport, or the perfectly adequate, existing bus no 100 (which takes you from the airport to Waverley Bridge, which as far as I am concerned is pretty damn fecking central).

Based on the cost of this tram line, and the fact they cannot find the money to build a short spur the very idea of additional tram lines being built in the future is laughable.

This one line is an additional tier of transport in Edinburgh, which already has one of the best public transport systems anywhere, an additional tier that is most definitely not needed.

It is a complete and utter waste of fecking money, money that could have been spent on a multitude of things that would have served everybody in Edinburgh. An even bigger insult is that much of the money being spent on constructing it is going abroad, the tracks are being built in Germany, the trams in Spain and the cabling is coming from France. I thought councils were supposed to serve their own communities.

Surely it's democracy at work. If people didn't want it that badly they would have voted for parties that opposed it in the last local election. They clearly didn't.

Maybe 20 years ago. These days most of Leith is very nice indeed. No chance you can compare it to Pilton or Drylaw these days.

Signed - born and bred Leither.

Drylaw these days is something like 93% owner occupied by decent respectable working families

You clearly have no knowledge of the area.

Drylaw these days is something like 93% owner occupied by decent respectable working families

You clearly have no knowledge of the area.

I assume that's where you live? :)

Archived