Up North?

Legend Claws

Hello

Planning a wee trip to the Highlands in March for a long weekend can anyone advise on some cracking places to visit? Looking for nice scenery etc!

Cheers

Depends what you want. Everywhere in the highlands has amazing scenery especially Skye,Wester Ross and Sutherland.

John o groats to me is a waste of a journey, but thats only my opinion. I prefer the west at the top of Scotland, like Durness.

Depends what you want. Everywhere in the highlands has amazing scenery especially Skye,Wester Ross and Sutherland.

John o groats to me is a waste of a journey, but thats only my opinion. I prefer the west at the top of Scotland, like Durness.

Thanks Yvonne! Skye is looking like a possibilty. Any town that we should try and base ourselves in?

Doctor FinnBarr
Does anybody know if Newtonmore would be ok for an overnight stay on the way to Skye?

Go to the Brae Hotel and ask for Easy Kelly!

:D

Newtonmore or Aviemore are good places to stay on way to Skye. Not sure where best place to to on Skye is. I have only been over for work and stayed in the gaelic college over there. Lovely views from there. Depending on the length of your stay and money, you could get the ferry from Skye to Western isles stay there then get a ferry to Ullapool, a night in Ullapool then a drive up to Durness (smoo cave place). If not just get blootered on Skye and at this time of year you shoouldnt be eaten alive by midges!

Cheers Darth looks great!

The girlfriend's parents live in Polin (which consists of about 6 houses), not too far away from Durness. That area is filled with great beaches etc. Watch out on the single track roads as some of the locals and europeans drive on them like they are rally tracks - and most of the locals are peshed all day. The wee local pubs are usually pretty good, if you are not american or english

Sandwood is about a 45 min walk from the road but worth it. Smoo cave is just off the road. Unless you want a coffee on your travels in that area don't bother with Durness craft village if you see signs for it, its pants

Ullapool's a great shout, then take a drive down through Gairloch area. Even better on a high powered motorcycle. :)

As for my previous post, I was referring to the Tignabruaich establishment. Top seafood and great countryside.

Ullapool's a great shout, then take a drive down through Gairloch area. Even better on a high powered motorcycle. :)

As for my previous post, I was referring to the Tignabruaich establishment. Top seafood and great countryside.

You can always book into the B &B Tynecastle in Ullapool (not mine). loads of jambos here :)

Guest jambomickey
You can always book into the B &B Tynecastle in Ullapool (not mine). loads of jambos here :)

might visit ullapool in the summmer yvonne.:)

might visit ullapool in the summmer yvonne.:)

Cool will meet up for a drink if you do and if you need any info on stuff up here give us a shout :)

Guest jambomickey
Cool will meet up for a drink if you do and if you need any info on stuff up here give us a shout :)

nay probs yvonne! you down for game on saturday?

Was in Gairloch last May, fantastic place, got lucky with the weather, but stunning, stunning place.

Not stayed in Ullapool yet so could well be on the list this year.

I P Knightley
Does anybody know if Newtonmore would be ok for an overnight stay on the way to Skye?

I used to go up to Newtonmore on a golf tour, staying at a mate's family's holiday cottage. Couple of good hotels/bars at the south end of town but the better course for the scenery is Kingussie just up the road. Best course in the region is Boat of Garten. I know you've not said you're golfing but those are my adult landmarks of the region.

Go to the Brae Hotel and ask for Easy Kelly!

:D

One of the lads I went with ended up shagging a lassie called Kelly in a caravan somewhere up on the hillside. This would have been about 12 to 15 years ago. It couldn't possibly be the same one... could it?

Doctor FinnBarr
I used to go up to Newtonmore on a golf tour, staying at a mate's family's holiday cottage. Couple of good hotels/bars at the south end of town but the better course for the scenery is Kingussie just up the road. Best course in the region is Boat of Garten. I know you've not said you're golfing but those are my adult landmarks of the region.

One of the lads I went with ended up shagging a lassie called Kelly in a caravan somewhere up on the hillside. This would have been about 12 to 15 years ago. It couldn't possibly be the same one... could it?

Naw, this one looked about 20 a year or so back!

;)

Does anyone know what the snows is like up north at the moment?

Planning to go up to aviemore to try and get a bit of snowboarding in within the next two weeks but theres no point if the snow and everything as began to melt away by now or conditions are rubbish.

I P Knightley
Naw, this one looked about 20 a year or so back!

;)

Well that's encouraging. If you want your hole in Newtonmore, they seem to have a number of Kellies who will cater for different ages.

The Mighty Thor

Agreed. Did a highland tour last year including Wick, John O'Groats , Durness and into Ullapool and will be undertaking another this spring. The run from Fort William over Rannoch Moor into Tyndrum is awesome on said high powered motorcycle.

Does anyone know what the snows is like up north at the moment?

Planning to go up to aviemore to try and get a bit of snowboarding in within the next two weeks but theres no point if the snow and everything as began to melt away by now or conditions are rubbish.

In general white but if you see some yellow stuff dont eat it :mw_rolleyes:

been a big thaw in last few days. Not sure about Aviemore at the moment but I guess it doesnt have the same volume of snow as it did a week ago.

Doctor FinnBarr
Well that's encouraging. If you want your hole in Newtonmore, they seem to have a number of Kellies who will cater for different ages.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Romanov Stole My Pension

The train up on the west highland line up to Mallaig has some fantastic scenery. Voted worlds best train journey or something recently.

will say hiya after the game yvonne.:)

Not down for game as Im a lazy git :( Decided to have a day off from driving down but wish I was in the Ardmillan now.

Achultibuie is a nice wee town. Fishing trips and proper Atlantic grub.

I work there as its part of the Ullapool school catchment. Only problem with Achiltibuie is there is a few hibbies and no Jambos!

If you fancy going "offshore" I can highly recommend Nort Uist. Best place to stay by a long chalk is the Langass Lodge. Beautiful setting, and if you're fond of seafood, there are few to beat it anywhere. The beaches on the west side of the island are trully awesome. Waves roll straight in from Canada!!

:)

Posted on KB before but Culloden absolutely blew me away. One of the best tourist attractions I've been to anywhere in the world.

Glencoe and Loch Ness do it for me.

• 1 month later...
Nelly Terraces

Resurrected this thread as me and Mrs Terraces have decided to take a break and head Northwards for a few days in a coupla weeks. Some good tips here previously, anybody got any more? Apart from women called Kelly being a cert shag in Newtonmore!

Cheers folks.

Doctor FinnBarr
Resurrected this thread as me and Mrs Terraces have decided to take a break and head Northwards for a few days in a coupla weeks. Some good tips here previously, anybody got any more? Apart from women called Kelly being a cert shag in Newtonmore!

Cheers folks.

I was up Glen Clova a few weeks ago and its cracking there. Your search will get you to the GC hotel website. They have a hostel with en-suite rooms at ?11 per person. Easily the best hostel I've ever kipped in.

:sorcerer:

Cambo_Jambo

Dunno if you play golf but Grantown-on-Spey golf club has some of the greatest scenery of any golf course I have played on. Especially the 10th (I think) hole. The ground drops away beneath you and in the background are the mountains. Stunning!

Johanes de Silentio

Hard great things recently about a wee place in the North-West (?) cried Apple Cross?

Hard great things recently about a wee place in the North-West (?) cried Apple Cross?

Applecross is a great place. I used to live there. It's worth it for the most amazing drive in to it. The pub does amazing food and is amazingly friendly. If you want to book a room in the pub phone ahead as it is usually busy.

It's worth it for the most amazing drive in to it. The pub does amazing food and is amazingly friendly.

I get the impression that it's amazing, Tazio.

:party3:

Archived