Virgin broadband performance

Drew Busby !

Anyone else in Edinburgh had any major grief with Virgin broadband in the last 7 to 10 days ? We're subscribed to 10Mbs.. but mostly this last week its been crawling at 3Mbs 1.5mbs...last night 72K (unusable). PC is fine, modem is fine...

Telephone support is typically unhelpful in resolving. Anyone else suffering ? Can't believe its just me...

pupstersajambo

During the day, office hours it seems to slow down to 2.5Mbps and then up to 10Mbps in the evening. I've not noticed any real slow down in last week though, EH10 postcode.

Cant say ive seen a problem but im on the full whack package. I do know, after speaking to them, that they are increasing throttling at certain times of the day so it may be that. Though that still doesnt excuse the very slow speed. Ive noticed intermittent problems here and there but nothing major and that started once I got wireless in.

He Who Cannot Be Named

Im having these very same problems in Dundee, pretty sure its down to them throttling torrent traffic, anyone have any idea what times of the day they are doing this? Or any tips on how to bypass it?

I've been on the phone for the last 40mins to some call centre in India, spoken to 3 people, Ive now been informed by the 4th person that there's an issue with the pc guard services and I've to wait 2 hours and I should get my anti virus back.

Tossers!!

northfieldhearts
Im having these very same problems in Dundee, pretty sure its down to them throttling torrent traffic, anyone have any idea what times of the day they are doing this? Or any tips on how to bypass it?

it appears the throttling is from 4pm - 4pm 7 days a week!! the speeds are terrible.

He Who Cannot Be Named
it appears the throttling is from 4pm - 4pm 7 days a week!! the speeds are terrible.

im guessing there may be a typo here?

I live in the EH12 area and my VM internet connection has been very slow over the past week:mad:

portobellojambo1
I've been on the phone for the last 40mins to some call centre in India, spoken to 3 people, Ive now been informed by the 4th person that there's an issue with the pc guard services and I've to wait 2 hours and I should get my anti virus back.

Tossers!!

Could be wrong almair but I suspect person number 4 was talking through the hole in their erse. If there was a problem with PCGuard, and in particular the anti virus service I would think it would be a national problem rather than individual, and I certainly ain't having any problems on that front.

I haven't noticed any slowdown on the speed of my PC, in fact I downloaded a torrent a couple of days back that Melbourne Jambo had put on the site, and it was all done and dusted in around 1.25 hours, which I was rather impressed by.

Rudolf's Mate

I binned the anti virus and pc guard that came with Virgin within a week of getting it. My computer was bought with knobs on to maximise downloading stuff and I moved over to Virgin because of the speeds they offered. I tried all sorts to try and get my speed going quicker and ended up removing the pc guard stuff and it made a huge difference.

Horatio Caine

Tossers!!

I, too, spent 40 mins on the phone today to Be Broadband because their wireless router would only feed one additional laptop. Much mucking about with Asian person telling me to do this and that and reset the router and change channels and all that - then he says he thinks the problem is at their end, and they will phone back in 2 hours. Lo and behold, 5 mins later everything's working fine. Wonder how much the call cost me?

thejollyjambo09
Anyone else in Edinburgh had any major grief with Virgin broadband in the last 7 to 10 days ? We're subscribed to 10Mbs.. but mostly this last week its been crawling at 3Mbs 1.5mbs...last night 72K (unusable). PC is fine, modem is fine...

Telephone support is typically unhelpful in resolving. Anyone else suffering ? Can't believe its just me...

I recently upgraded from 2mbs to 10mbs and it was running better on 2mbs!

i've tried telephoning virgin to say but each time they tel me i need to phone an 090 number!

Also anybody else had any problems with on demand? mine ain't been working for a week now!

Sterling Archer

im in aberdeen and its quite slow at night. its ok for playing xbox on line but when i try and stream sky player its having none of it. just has to load every 4or5 seconds. fine in the morning though. im on 8mb but got as low as 200k during the evening.

Archived