Rangers in trouble again (merged threads)

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think you've obviously a point with your comments regarding the way Rangers fans treat us, and that's a whole lot more to do with the way Rangers fans see us, than it is to do with the way we see them. You are of course right when you say that Celtic and ourselves hate each other - however, ourselves & hibs don't exactly have much of a love affair going on either, yet I've never experienced anywhere near the same virulence from that lot towards us as I have from the supporters of Celtic!

Fair point mate. The rivalry with Hibs is just, well, different, and generally a lot more civilised somehow. I've no idea exactly why: it just is (albeit there'll no doubt be plenty on here who've had their fair share of run-ins with Hibees in any case).

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In any circumstances? What about Orange parades, band parades, orange evenings and such like? What about in my house?

BTW If one of them is your nephew as you claim, why don't you have a word with him asking him to tone it down?

So finally you admit you do sing the bile. Not that I needed convincing.

When will you realise that Hearts don't want or need that kind of support?

I have spoken to him and he is so embroiled in the bile he won't listen. He abuses shop keepers of an ethinc minority and visits N Ireland during the marching season. As for supporting Hearts he would rather go to a Rangers game, but follows the crowd, drinking in Robbos and waving the Union flag ( it's only the union jack when on a ship).

So finally you admit you do sing the bile. Not that I needed convincing.

When will you realise that Hearts don't want or need that kind of support?

I have spoken to him and he is so embroiled in the bile he won't listen. He abuses shop keepers of an ethinc minority and visits N Ireland during the marching season. As for supporting Hearts he would rather go to a Rangers game, but follows the crowd, drinking in Robbos and waving the Union flag ( it's only the union jack when on a ship).

Where did I say I sing these songs at Hearts games, jumped to another conclusion jimbo. I am fully aware it's a Union Flag, I have never used the term "Jack";);)

The interesting thing about that challenge (and not for a moment do I disagree with you) is there are tons of decent people on here who'll no doubt have sung some God-awful songs when they were teenagers. It was just the done thing I guess. Just as there are tons of decent people who grew up watching the club in the 70s and early 80s, and while not being violent per se, will have had to know how to handle themselves.

Hence, maybe, the reluctance to condemn the teenagers and early twenty-somethings who sing those songs now. Because if you did it yourself once, that'd make you a hypocrite, wouldn't it?

Yes, Shaun there maybe was a time when these songs were acceptable, There was also a time when Robinson golly woggs were all the rage. Times change and so do social responsablities.

Just because these songs were sung in the 70's and 80's doesn't make it right now. I did many things in my youth that I am not proud of now, but thought it was OK at the time. Age and maturity makes you wiser and hopefully a better person. So maybe in 20 years time those who are singing these songs will look back and say I was wrong. I wouldn't bank on it mind.

Yes, Shaun there maybe was a time when these songs were acceptable, There was also a time when Robinson golly woggs were all the rage. Times change and so do social responsablities.

Just because these songs were sung in the 70's and 80's doesn't make it right now. I did many things in my youth that I am not proud of now, but thought it was OK at the time. Age and maturity makes you wiser and hopefully a better person. So maybe in 20 years time those who are singing these songs will look back and say I was wrong. I wouldn't bank on it mind.

I agree with that. To draw a parallel (albeit a slightly odd one), in fifteen or twenty years time, I think people will look back in astonishment that it took us so long to ban smoking in public places despite having known for decades about the damage it was doing. Times do change, as you say.

Where did I say I sing these songs at Hearts games, jumped to another conclusion jimbo. I am fully aware it's a Union Flag, I have never used the term "Jack";);)

Do you honsetly think I am willing to beleive you sing these songs at Orange parades, band parades, orange evenings and such like, and in your house, but do not sing them at football games?

The challenge still stands.

You know Hearts condemn these songs.

You know the majority of Hearts fans condemn these songs.

You know that they are socially unaceptable.

But still you sing them, why?

Does it make you feel like a hard man? Does it make you feel like one of the " gang". Do you only sing them to fit in?

Time to grow up and accept society does not want your type and religious bigots are a thing of the past.

Me too, I used to sing songs that would make a Bar-L inmate blush. But I was wrong to do so and times have changed in that we are now, as a society, much more aware of what we are doing and how we are offending people by what we do. Ok, so sometimes over-zealous PC guys get it wrong and go too far, but in general we're making general headway in the struggle to get folk to respect our fellow human beings both in our actions and in our words. Times have changed for the better but it's not an easy struggle.

Many posters missing a key point on this. The trouble with leveling the charge of sectarian behavior based on a song, is that you open the debate regarding the sectarian nature of a specific song. eg. exactly where are the anti-catholic lyrics within "The Sash"? Even though, that particular ditty is a celebrated anthem within an organisation who is fundamentally opposed to roman catholicism. The issue here is that in debates over recent years, it has been pretty well accepted that "inviting" someone to "go home" because of race, colour or religion, whatever the context, is bigotry. Full stop. So when the famine song arrived, it was already pre-ordained that it was a bigoted chant. The subsequent public spat between the Irish and Scots governments pretty much supported this. So even although there were more robust sectarian chants on Sunday ("die a fenian *******" when Scott Brown was being treated for injury) pulling up the RFC support based on these could open the debate as to whether the chant was actually sectarian ("honest guv, I'd heard he was from a single parent family with irish republican sympathies") which deflects from the main point.

Over the past few months in a very public way, the authorities have spelled out "This is the law and this is what to do if you want to break it". Now you can debate whether the people who then went on to do so are stupid, arrogant or believe that they are above the law, but what they did was flaunt the law. And they have rightly been pulled up.

Now, what will happen - a fine lower than most that have been dished out to HMFC for much lesser offences IMO is most likely. Which will do nothing to deter the knuckle draggers from their cause.

Watch this space.

this_is_my_story
Shoe on the other foot, 1. have wee boy celtic fans never had the **** scared out them at tynie?! I know the point you are making im trying to make the point that we are just as bad as them which is why they do it to us " he did it first" syndrome!!

Neither flag has any reason to be at a football match. Both sets of the old firm have forgotten that we go to games to support our FOOTBALL teams not wars gone past or terrorists and in my opion 2. Rangers are far far worse than Celtic.

Dont get me wrong im not in anyway trying to defend Celtic, they have a massive problem aswell but its not as big as Rangers!

1. Not that I've witnessed, no. Have you?

2. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Do you honsetly think I am willing to beleive you sing these songs at Orange parades, band parades, orange evenings and such like, and in your house, but do not sing them at football games?

The challenge still stands.

You know Hearts condemn these songs.

You know the majority of Hearts fans condemn these songs.

You know that they are socially unaceptable.

But still you sing them, why?

Does it make you feel like a hard man? Does it make you feel like one of the " gang". Do you only sing them to fit in?

Time to grow up and accept society does not want your type and religious bigots are a thing of the past.

Believe what you will jimbo but everything has a time and a place. I do not accept your challenge cause it's not for me judge them, I am sue they will be judged by a higher power than little old me.

I sing certain songs because of family ties and organisational affiliations.

I don't need to feel like a hard man, I know I can handle myself and my lovely voice has nothing to do with ability to defend myself physically.

I don't need to fit in or be part of a gang, I have a varied/wide group of friends from many walks of life including celtic and hibs both catholic and protestant.

I do not accept that certain songs are unacceptable I am not a religious bigoted, I merely support and enjoy the culture surrounding certain aspects of my culture.

PresidentRomanov
The interesting thing about that challenge (and not for a moment do I disagree with you) is there are tons of decent people on here who'll no doubt have sung some God-awful songs when they were teenagers. It was just the done thing I guess. Just as there are tons of decent people who grew up watching the club in the 70s and early 80s, and while not being violent per se, will have had to know how to handle themselves.

Hence, maybe, the reluctance to condemn the teenagers and early twenty-somethings who sing those songs now. Because if you did it yourself once, that'd make you a hypocrite, wouldn't it?

Spot on Shaun, and the amount of hypocrites on here is staggering :mad:

I actually had a poster, who was a member of the Pivot and Manor buses in the seventies, taking the moral high ground with me the other day :laugh:

I actually had a poster, who was a member of the Pivot and Manor buses in the seventies, taking the moral high ground with me the other day :laugh:

A classic case of poacher turned gamekeeper:laugh:

Believe what you will jimbo but everything has a time and a place. I do not accept your challenge cause it's not for me judge them, I am sue they will be judged by a higher power than little old me.

I sing certain songs because of family ties and organisational affiliations.

I don't need to feel like a hard man, I know I can handle myself and my lovely voice has nothing to do with ability to defend myself physically.

I don't need to fit in or be part of a gang, I have a varied/wide group of friends from many walks of life including celtic and hibs both catholic and protestant.

I do not accept that certain songs are unacceptable I am not a religious bigoted, I merely support and enjoy the culture surrounding certain aspects of my culture.

You do not need to be part of a gang, but sing the songs due to family and affiliations.Same thing

You have catholic friends, have you ever sung these song in front of them?

You do not accept the song are unacceptable, but the law says they are, Hearts say they are, and the majority of fans say they are. Are we all wrong?

You do not accept they are biggoted, when society has outlawed them as bigoted. So you are above the law?

Sorry but this " debate" will never end until all who sing these songs grow old and die. There is no place in this world for any sort of bigotry and the sooner this ends the better. People should be free to live without fear and discrimination, and maybe, as I stated before, you may grow up to realise how wrong you are at this time.

PresidentRomanov
A classic case of poacher turned gamekeeper:laugh:

Ot alternatively, a classic case of a two faced ******* :laugh:

Jesus H Christ. I've given you my reasons yet you still continue to nibble away at me.

As for singing infront of my catholic friends, yes I have but not often. As I said there is a time and a place.

You keep bring up the context of Hearts but I keep telling you I don't sing these songs inside football grounds anymore, once again a time and a place for everything.

Society has outlawed them as bigotted, what a load of nonsense. Certain sections have taken offence at songs but have never bothered to listen to the words and just jump on the offended bus ala Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.

These songs are not bigoted in the eyes of law. Can you give me an example of someone singing The Sash or Derry's Walls and being arrested for that and that only? I'll give you a hint you can't because they are not illegal.

BTW I do not discriminate against anyone each to their own but you're obviously discriminating against me and my beliefs.

Serious question: How old are you?

Have you never done something in your youth, that you now know was wrong and will never do it again, because you are older and wiser?

You can only be two faced if you condemn something and continue to do it yourself. Being older and wiser and knowing you were once wrong is a natural occurance and that hopefully makes you a better person.

:laugh:

Now that is funny. But PickyBum, what's going on? That's the second time in a few weeks that you've written "spot on Shaun". I expect better from you. :mad::D

Have you never done something in your youth, that you now know was wrong and will never do it again, because you are older and wiser?

You can only be two faced if you condemn something and continue to do it yourself. Being older and wiser and knowing you were once wrong is a natural occurance and that hopefully makes you a better person.

Mmm... but what about understanding why others might do it (because you did it yourself) instead of judging and condemning them? I'm broadly in concurrence with your sympathies, JJ - but do feel you're coming on a bit strong TBH.

Fozzyonthefence

"In recent years Rangers have been intermittently blighted by a bigotry problem"

WTF - only in recent years?! More like for over a hundred years the problem was swept under the carpet (& may well continue to be swept under the carpet, because let's face it the SFA / SPL or whatever will never have the balls to deduct points from them).

Or, alternatively, someone who has actually come to realise how his actions affect others. Realising you've done wrong, and pointing that to others about to do so, is certainly not a case of being two faced, but I can see how that interpretation would fit in well with your agenda.

PresidentRomanov

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, the older men who did these things when they were younger, wouldn't have paid the slightest bit attention to these same older men back then, yet expect everyone to bow to their superior knowledge now it's then handing out the worldly advice.

These young people will develop into whatever they do themselves, they don't need some blaw telling them not to do the exact things they did.

And I'm 43, old enough not to get all excited at some wee laddie singing a silly song, I've more important things to concern myself with :)

PresidentRomanov
Mmm... but what about understanding why others might do it (because you did it yourself) instead of judging and condemning them? I'm broadly in concurrence with your sympthies, JJ - but do feel you're coming on a bit strong TBH.

Spot on Shaun :laugh:

Jesus H Christ. I've given you my reasons yet you still continue to nibble away at me.

As for singing infront of my catholic friends, yes I have but not often. As I said there is a time and a place.

You keep bring up the context of Hearts but I keep telling you I don't sing these songs inside football grounds anymore, once again a time and a place for everything.

Society has outlawed them as bigotted, what a load of nonsense. Certain sections have taken offence at songs but have never bothered to listen to the words and just jump on the offended bus ala Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.

These songs are not bigoted in the eyes of law. Can you give me an example of someone singing The Sash or Derry's Walls and being arrested for that and that only? I'll give you a hint you can't because they are not illegal.

BTW I do not discriminate against anyone each to their own but you're obviously discriminating against me and my beliefs.

I am not nibbling away at you, I am simply trying to understand why you think these songs are Ok to sing in public?

I am also not discriminating against you, mearly trying to get you to see it is not acceptable in this day and age to sing these songs in public.

I can only assume you are a member of an orange order ( Not that I think that is wrong) I am only asking as I used to stop work and watch the orange parade through Edinburgh, but now know this is only stirring up religious bigotry and is now banned. Age is a great thing and it's a pity we have to grow old to realise it.

Guest jambomickey

here's no doubt rangers have problems within there support but why does nothing ever get reported about sellicks backing of illegal terrorists? there support are an absolute disgrace.

I am not nibbling away at you, I am simply trying to understand why you think these songs are Ok to sing in public?

I am also not discriminating against you, mearly trying to get you to see it is not acceptable in this day and age to sing these songs in public.

I can only assume you are a member of an orange order ( Not that I think that is wrong) I am only asking as I used to stop work and watch the orange parade through Edinburgh, but now know this is only stirring up religious bigotry and is now banned. Age is a great thing and it's a pity we have to grow old to realise it.

Now banned! There has been a few parades in Edinburgh recently including the county parade, the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union and a Blacks preceptory that I can recall from the top of my head.

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, the older men who did these things when they were younger, wouldn't have paid the slightest bit attention to these same older men back then, yet expect everyone to bow to their superior knowledge now it's then handing out the worldly advice.

These young people will develop into whatever they do themselves, they don't need some blaw telling them not to do the exact things they did.

And I'm 43, old enough not to get all excited at some wee laddie singing a silly song, I've more important things to concern myself with :)

A very valid point. I know I didn't always listen, but when you are given sound advice, a wise person will take it at face value, and judge it on it's merits.

The reason for this " debate " stems from the fact that the GFA will have to do something before higher authorities take action for them. The OF will never be hit hard, because of the points raised before, and like it or not Hearts will be next in line.

I personally don't get all het up over these songs but when they impact on the club I support I will stand up and say enough is enough.

I have stated in an earlier post the Goly wogg was aceptable at one time and whilst I think it is over the top the PC brigade have had their way and will continue to do so for some time I'm afraid.

... surely anyone with ears can tell you that Celtic's problem is just as bad.

Evidently not. You'll be lucky to hear a song at Celtic Park under Strachan, never mind a bigotted one. The away support is often an embarrassment but whether you can class songs in support of a guerilla army who went on to form the Irish Republican government as "sectarian" would be very difficult to prove in a court of law, which is where this matter would eventually end up. Crass and offensive perhaps, sectarian (using the proper definition) certainly not.

Calling someone a dirty fenian/orange/black b*astard is another matter altogether, as is chanting for people to return to the land of their forefathers.

To be honest, on top of the abysmal football we are served up, the whole thing makes me weary and I actually don't give a rats ass what opposition fans sing. If it's offensive/racist/bigotted enough then it only shows them up for what they are and, as the other poster commented, most of us have more important things to concern ourselves with than naughty songs at the football.

thejollyjambo09
I was watching the game live on the net on sunday. You could hear bigoted song after bigoted song coming from the rangers fans throughout the whole match. At the time my thoughts were 'I wonder if they'll get in trouble'. As for the celtic fans or the so called 'greatest fans in the world'...we hardly heard a peep from them. I think they were all sheeting themselves that rangers were going to score. Celtic were dire!

We really are missing a great opportunity to win a league championship because both of the OF are murder! If we had our act together...

Lynn

tbh i could hear it allthe way through aswell, but yet again they'll recevie another warning and a slap on the wrists, BUT if Hearts sing about Dean Sheils we get told points are coming off!!!

*** THE GFA!!!

I don't really give a monkeys about what people sing and chant at football games - we are all a bunch of animals anyway.

But as the bbc says

===============

However, they were warned that they would be sanctioned with a fine, or even a points deduction, if the problem continued.

===============

We seem to be in a step by step process that will result in some action happening as the Hun**** dig themselves deeper into a hole.

I would not be surprised if a points deduction happens.

Points off them and we have a great race for second place.

I don't really give a monkeys about what people sing and chant at football games - we are all a bunch of animals anyway.

But as the bbc says

===============

However, they were warned that they would be sanctioned with a fine, or even a points deduction, if the problem continued.

===============

We seem to be in a step by step process that will result in some action happening as the Hun**** dig themselves deeper into a hole.

I would not be surprised if a points deduction happens.

Points off them and we have a great race for second place.

Sorry but with Rangers current financial troubles they desperately need a top two finnish. The GFA and the weegie media would simple not allow them to fall into our grasp and risk a third place slot. A statement that Rangers and Celtic are doing everything they can and perhaps a token fine is all that will happen. Then it's on to easier targets.

When Hearts were in trouble, the press had the punishment before the monday.

Now they are reporting, Quote:"This is all hearsay at the moment," said an SPL spokesman. "We have not seen the match delegate's report which we would expect to receive in the next 24 hours.

How is it the press know what will happen to us withing 12 hours but they play down what will happen to Rangers for singing the famine song ( which IMHO was the least offencive song they have)

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Rangers39-fate-over-39Famine-Song39.4990158.jp

When Hearts were in trouble, the press had the punishment before the monday.

Now they are reporting, Quote:"This is all hearsay at the moment," said an SPL spokesman. "We have not seen the match delegate's report which we would expect to receive in the next 24 hours.

How is it the press know what will happen to us withing 12 hours but they play down what will happen to Rangers for singing the famine song ( which IMHO was the least offencive song they have)

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Rangers39-fate-over-39Famine-Song39.4990158.jp

you can forget all about rangers being given any meaningful punishment for this or any other offence.

the football authorities in this country are petrified to tackle the subject because they (rightly) know that they would bring the full fury of rangers and their support upon themselves. they would be targeted for retribution by all sorts of knuckle draggers. they would also be opening a giant can of worms and setting a precedent that they would then need to adhere to when dealing with the other set of knuckle draggers.

the carpet is being lifted up by the corner and the broom is about to be deployed.

Guest Dipped Flake

Not read all the posts on this but here you state you don't sing these songs at the football anymore; that is all posters were asking you to say. You have realised these songs have no place at a football match but reserve the right to sing them at the appropriate time and place; that is your right and nobody would argue with you on that. I myself detest these songs (although happily admit to singing them in my youth at the games before realising what they were about) but, as long as you are not affecting my football club, I couldn't care less what you sing. Now if we could only get some others to do the same as you and take their religious/political beliefs away from Heart of Midlothian FOOTBALL Club,

Guest Dipped Flake
Noone has really offered much response to my earlier post, therefore I ask some more :

Dont you lot get bored discussing sectarianism on this every day?

Its always the exact same people saying the exact same things. Speedbump & Therapist - in my opinion - offer balanced & intelligent views; most - but not all - others merely whine about Loyal Hearts fans who follow the team everywhere. Well, either that or complain about rangers & blame the worlds problems on their fans!

Do you people attend every away game?

Because if not I feel you are ill advised to get involved.

By balanced and intelligent views you mean they agree with your viewpoint.

FWIW I have acknowledged Speedbumps post where he finally states he doesn't sing these songs at the football. And of course the problem with the Loyal Hearts fans is the capital L

Toxteth O'Grady

If they must punish anybody, punish the minority of individuals concerned, not the Club.

Football clubs (not even the OF) do not encourage supporters to sing sectarian or offensive songs.

By balanced and intelligent views you mean they agree with your viewpoint.

FWIW I have acknowledged Speedbumps post where he finally states he doesn't sing these songs at the football. And of course the problem with the Loyal Hearts fans is the capital L

What is the problem with the capital L? I have yet to see why being a Loyalist and Hearts fan is a problem that some want to pain it to be.

Guest Dipped Flake
What is the problem with the capital L? I have yet to see why being a Loyalist and Hearts fan is a problem that some want to pain it to be.

I think the issue is that the 2 have nothing to do with each other. People can be loyalist/republican/whatever they want, my only complaint is when their political views are forced on to us at the football. As I already said, you don't sing your political/religious songs at the football and so you being a Loyalist does not impact my football club in any way.

I think the issue is that the 2 have nothing to do with each other. People can be loyalist/republican/whatever they want, my only complaint is when their political views are forced on to us at the football. As I already said, you don't sing your political/religious songs at the football and so you being a Loyalist does not impact my football club in any way.

It does in some peoples eyes when I carry a Union Flag to away games and European games. I don't take it to Tynecastle cause I usually go straight out after home after home games.

It does in some peoples eyes when I carry a Union Flag to away games and European games. I don't take it to Tynecastle cause I usually go straight out after home after home games.

So you reserve adolescent behaviour for away games ?

So you reserve adolescent behaviour for away games ?

Adolescent behaviour? Can you please expand upon this.

King of the North

Can't you see why it would bother people?

Presumably you don't sing sectarian songs at the football because you realise it offends other Hearts fans, or represents the club in a negative way. Carrying a Union Flag is exactly the same.

It has nothing to do with Hearts FC.

Yes - it is our nations flag blah blah - but you would have to be niave or ignorant in the extreme not to understand what it means in the context of a Scottish football ground. Why force your views on others, and why represent Hearts to the wider footballing public as some kind of mini huns? You must understand that in carrying a UF that is exactly what you are doing?

As regards not carrying the flag about at night - why not ?

Is there any LESS reason to traipse about Edinburgh with it draped over your shoulders than there is to do so at a football match between say Inverness Caley Thistle and the HMFC ????

Adolescent behaviour? Can you please expand upon this.

I am a biker. I love bikes. But I have never thought - a Hearts - Falkirk game, I must remember to bring my Yamaha Fazer banner. mod delete

Can't you see why it would bother people?

Presumably you don't sing sectarian songs at the football because you realise it offends other Hearts fans, or represents the club in a negative way. Carrying a Union Flag is exactly the same.

It has nothing to do with Hearts FC.

Yes - it is our nations flag blah blah - but you would have to be niave or ignorant in the extreme not to understand what it means in the context of a Scottish football ground. Why force your views on others, and why represent Hearts to the wider footballing public as some kind of mini huns? You must understand that in carrying a UF that is exactly what you are doing?

I don't force my views on anyone, it's a flag with a pub name and Hearts on it. No views, no politics and no grooming either.

As regards not carrying the flag about at night - why not ?

Is there any LESS reason to traipse about Edinburgh with it draped over your shoulders than there is to do so at a football match between say Inverness Caley Thistle and the HMFC ????

Aye, you cannae really get into pubs and clubs up the town trapsing a 12*4.5 ft Union flag around with you in Edinburgh.

I am a biker. I love bikes. But I have never thought - a Hearts - Falkirk game, I must remember to bring my Yamaha Fazer banner.

Charge on fella, why not get a Yamaha Hearts flag made up thus marrying your 2 passions together. Ya kazoo!

Archived