1956 Players Before 1998 Final (featuring 1956 goals)

Fine Scottish Wine

Fantastic clip. I've got that on VHS up in the attic somewhere. Loved the bit at the end with Cumming.

Buffalo Bill

Quality clip, have never seen that before. Brilliant to see former players who still have the same enthusiasm and passion for the club as they did when they pulled on the famous. A generation with class.

Fantastic stuff.

However, if you ever see the 'extended' pathe film clip that exists of the '56 final (approx 4 mins long) you will notice that even back then things were blatantly biased towards the OF - we won the game 3-1, yet 90% of the 'action' from the film focuses clearly on celtic in attack! Our 3 goals seem just to be a distraction that wasn't meant to happen !!!

Haven't seen that before, watching it through cloudy eyes, it almost seems more exciting now than it was in that massed Hampden. What a team what an attitude, like Cummings says you play for the jersey. More passion in that old man than there is in many teams now. Did you see the power in those shots, that with a big heavy leather ball.

Johnny says he feels blessed to have been part of it, if he was still around I would assure him many of us feel the same about that team in particular.

ernie winchester

Cheers FSW, that's two of your clips I've watched with very fond memories today and consequently done very little work!

****** work, keep them coming! :)

What goes rather unnoticed, is tha fact that, we had never let a goal in until the final and what you don't see is the foul committed by Haughey on the old man, just before the ball goes over the line.

Passion was installed in that team, something which is sadly missing from todays game.

What goes rather unnoticed, is tha fact that, we had never let a goal in until the final and what you don't see is the foul committed by Haughey on the old man, just before the ball goes over the line.

Passion was installed in that team, something which is sadly missing from todays game.

Yes even in those days when goalkeepers got little protection it was a clear foul. The aggregate score against the old firm in the 1956 cup run should have been 7 -0 after the thrashing we gave Rangers at Tynecastle.

The commentary by Peter Thomson certainly evokes memories of yesteryear. I am sure some of the older kickbackers will remember him and George Davidson. Used to get home from the match with my uncle and listen to the radio sportsreel programme after buying the green despatch and the pink news I can still hear the signature tune, which I think, was called Old Comrades.

Brilliant that those guys got to see Hearts win another cup. It would have been tragic for John Cumming to have passed with the drought still in place.

Awesome, thanks for that.

That was my second game - aged 9 - the 1st was the 4-0 hammering of Rangers.

I thought it would always be like that!!!

It was a great day and, watching that clip, it all came back.

Archived