Will Hearts ever win the League?

JamboMarc

Will Hearts Ever Win The League  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will Hearts Ever Win The League

you never know in the future there might be some kind of restructuring that will give every team a fairer chance of winning trophies.Say something like only being allowed one key signing a season and the rest must be promoted from your academy.

Rudolf's Mate

I agree with the other poster who says hope. We are the third force and have been for sometime and I don't see that changing. The major factor is going to be if Vlad dips into his pockets for some decent signings or if someone else with money comes in. A few years ago we did we under Jim Jeffries however I think the squad needed a couple of more decent players which would have seen us over the finish line. If we did start a challenge in the next year or 2 then I think we'd fall away again as we don't have the strength in depth.

Only money will solve this problem and I'm not talking about silly money either.

We need both the Old Firm to be as crap as they were in the early 80s.

Celtic were probably as good as the 'New Firm', winning Championships in 1981 and 1982 but Rangers were absolutely honking.

I doubt Roy Aiken and Murdo McLeod were on all that much more money that Willie Miller and Alex McLeish.

That's what we need. Some sort of downturn.

Buffalo Bill

Celtic were probably as good as the 'New Firm', winning Championships in 1981 and 1982 but Rangers were absolutely honking.

I doubt Roy Aiken and Murdo McLeod were on all that much more money that Willie Miller and Alex McLeish.

Buffalo Bill

Got to agree there, Rankgers are certainly on the downturn, Celtic will follow soon. But I still can't see Hearts doing it.

11 years ago you could have asked will we ever win the scottish cup

ive no doubt we will have chances to win the league,im not sure if we will in my lifetime but you just got to keep hoping

Rudolf's Mate

Buffalo Bill

Unfortunately that's even more unlikey now due to the revenue generated from things such as Satan TV!!! The ugly sisters may have money issues but there is always money out there for them.

Our big chance came a few years ago. We came close in 98 too which is more than any other side has done recently. To be honest the way things are I've put no. Obviously I live in hope but there are so many reasons why it will be so difficult.

We have a massive debt hanging over our shoulders.

It is hard to attract the calibre of players needed to regularly challenge at the top. Wages and transfer fees.

We have the media against us (as do all non OF clubs).

The officials are largely OF biased.

Any good players we do have or get will be attracted elsewhere because of money.

Our fan base although the 3rd best in Scotland is not comparable with the OF.

The OF regularly get more TV, league finishing, European money than us.

In short it will take a lot of work and a minor miracle and it is mostly down to cash. We're years away from it yet but nothing is impossible. It's just incredibly unlikely. We would have to have a strongish squad and sign very well with whatever money we have. We would also have to have a tremendous season and both of the OF to have a poor season.

Captain Lithuania

Yes, 5 - 15 years, and it will be Csaba assuming he stays.

Csaba Laszlo is the man to take us forward. He has done so much with very little financial backing, bringing a team that finished 8th last season to currently third, and we're well past the halfway mark. We will finish top six this season, maybe even European football, Csaba has been amazing this season.

For years I've said, Hearts will NOT be ALLOWED to win the league!!!

We may have a team good enough (Not just now though),BUT, the SFA will NEVER allow ANYONE outside of the ugly sisters to become League Champions...FACT End Of!! :mad:

Or am I Just being paranoid??

For years I've said, Hearts will NOT be ALLOWED to win the league!!!

We may have a team good enough (Not just now though),BUT, the SFA will NEVER allow ANYONE outside of the ugly sisters to become League Champions...FACT End Of!! :mad:

Or am I Just being paranoid??

I think if we ever had a team good enough. It would have to be good enough to take the traditional Old Firm bias out of the equation. If we were THAT good there is nothing else the SFA could do to stop us. They didnt stop Dundee Utd and Aberdeen doing it in the 80's but then again both teams had men working for them that commanded the respect, and possibly the fear, of the SFA and the referees. We dont have anyone who commands much more than ridicule and dismissal

We had the chance to change the boring duopoly that is Scottish football when Romanov first arrived, had we kept the same manager, players and added a couple of quality players each season, we could've been well on the way. As i see it now, it'll never happen, not because i think Rangers and Celtic are decent teams cos they're not,far from it, but because Romanov has no real ambition, other than to bring players in with a view to selling them on instead of trying to make Hearts a force, firstly in Scotland, then in Europe. In otherwords, nothing ever going to change until he fex off and sells to a more ambitious person.

No reason why not. Rangers and Celtic are garbage, not nearly as good as the weegia would have you believe. At the moment (in league position anyway) we are the best of the rest. We have to improve a lot and get a bit more cosistency but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Seymour M Hersh

So do those who voted no expect the league to be won ad-nauseam by the infirm? That is too depressing for words. We have to live in hope that we can do it one day. The sooner the better too.

So do those who voted no expect the league to be won ad-nauseam by the infirm? That is too depressing for words. We have to live in hope that we can do it one day. The sooner the better too.

Yes!! :mad:

Mac_fae_Gillie

I remember 85/86 we just went on a nice unbeaten run,didn't even think of winning league (even in the 80s)until last 5 games.

Oldfirm are beatable,rangers had poor season 3years ago and celtic are still very unsettled,just takes both teams to have a bad season at the same time and we have a chance.

At present we have a young team and good manager so next season with a small tweak we should do well,which is what I think everyone was looking at anyway pre-season this year.

Only huge black spot is the media/bad refs etc which are so crucial to getting those few extra points.

Still think if Takis had not been sent off during the 2-3 celtic game we had chance at winning league even with Rix as moral would have been lifted by beating them and the pressure on celtic far more,one decision which was later reversed was so darn huge.

:108years:

alwaysthereinspirit

Never. Not in Scotland.

The day of the "new firm" will never be allowed to see the light of day in our p!$$y little league again.

No. I can't see any one else winning the league outside Glasgow for the rest of my life. They're too rich and we're too poor.

Yes. I think we have a chance( I am a tad exited about the future with our new manager ) If we get a fare kick at the ball. That may take the weege gobbling pres, the gfa and all there minions to fall asleep, but you never know.:)

Buffalo Bill

I think it will be difficult - we have to get rid of the big debt which is like an anchor holding us back. We will always be a selling club until the debt is gone or at least manageable...

Difference between now and the early 80s is that contracts meant something at that time so Aberdeen and United were able to hold onto players even whilst they did well - even so Aberdeen still lost McGhee and Stark to Celtic. Nowadays teams get broken up after winning one Cup - Hearts 2006, Hibs 2007.

portobellojambo1

I really don't know, In theory, yes, in practice, it may be a little more difficult, until such time as we really can say 'we are no longer a selling club', and start building to win.

However I will forever live in hope that the 'yes' comes about (every season), because without a football fan having that hope the temptation would be to give in.

I reckon in the next 3-4 years, if we got a scottish manager who knew the league well and brought in good players, then maybe but i can't see us winning it in the next couple of years when VR says that we are a "selling club". and i also can't see either of the old firm losing a title with the money they have to buy good players.

But i live in Hope ;)

Not sure about this one. In order for anyone to have a chance it would help if there was strength throughout the league so that other teams were chipping points off the OF along the way... HOWEVER, the lure of Champs League football will probably mean that they will simply buy their way out of allowing the rest of the league to catch up a little on them. I'm not talking about them buying Champs League quality players but just enough quality to ensure that they always get there year in year out.

Only if (huge if) Vlad has enough monet to rebuild tynie and decrease the gulf in revenue or if (even more huge if ) someone else with money comes in. No-one has won the league since old firm restructured their wages and sadly it is hard to see anyone doing it. This is why we all bought in ( for varying times ) to the Vlad revolution.

Miller Jambo 60
I remember 85/86 we just went on a nice unbeaten run,didn't even think of winning league (even in the 80s)until last 5 games.

Oldfirm are beatable,rangers had poor season 3years ago and celtic are still very unsettled,just takes both teams to have a bad season at the same time and we have a chance.

At present we have a young team and good manager so next season with a small tweak we should do well,which is what I think everyone was looking at anyway pre-season this year.

Only huge black spot is the media/bad refs etc which are so crucial to getting those few extra points.

Still think if Takis had not been sent off during the 2-3 celtic game we had chance at winning league even with Rix as moral would have been lifted by beating them and the pressure on celtic far more,one decision which was later reversed was so darn huge.

:108years:

A brain well played

We all hope we will, Seymour: Hearts winning the title has to be the greatest dream of any Jambo. I've also often wondered if, because I started following the club after 1986, that's why I've rarely if ever believed it could be done. Those who saw us come so close have to believe it's possible.

Trouble is, so much has changed in European football since. It's at least possible the credit crunch will gradually make many leagues far more interesting; and given how pathetically bad both sides of the OF are now (about which, there'll surely be an inquest in the Scottish press over the next few days - my bet being they blame 'lack of competition' in Scotland and all those nasty, rich bullies in other countries :mw_rolleyes:), it's demoralising to think we could never get in ahead of the pillars of pish, even for just one solitary year.

But how do you go about competing with them given the gates they enjoy, in an age whereby Bosman ensures you can't keep hold of your best players, and CL cash exacerbates the problem in every league in Europe? A Celtic-supporting mate of mine keeps an eye on our fortunes because he says they all know if a challenge is ever to come from outside Glasgow, it'll be from us; but he also knows anyone who tries to do it more or less destroys themselves in the process. Chances are, it's only if we get ourselves a sugardaddy who didn't mind losing millions each year that we could emulate what Villa are doing in England, Hoffenheim in Germany, or Sivaspor in Turkey: none of them would be anywhere near contending if they all lived within their natural means.

Which brings us back to the time honoured question: what sugardaddy in their right mind would buy a mid-ranking club in a non-lucrative league? The bit about "their right mind" being key - because that surely explains Vlad. And even then, there'd be institutionalised bias to overcome, players being tempted away by bigger clubs, dodgy refereeing, twelve to sixteen points being necessary from the 8 games with the OF each season... it's a tough, tough ask. Back when the Williams sisters were in their pomp, any other tennis player had to beat both of them in order to win a Grand Slam, which invariably proved too much. And finishing above not one (which will surely happen again at some point) but both of the gruesomes is just as challenging.

We all hope we will, Seymour: Hearts winning the title has to be the greatest dream of any Jambo. I've also often wondered if, because I started following the club after 1986, that's why I've rarely if ever believed it could be done. Those who saw us come so close have to believe it's possible.

Trouble is, so much has changed in European football since. It's at least possible the credit crunch will gradually make many leagues far more interesting; and given how pathetically bad both sides of the OF are now (about which, there'll surely be an inquest in the Scottish press over the next few days - my bet being they blame 'lack of competition' in Scotland and all those nasty, rich bullies in other countries :mw_rolleyes:), it's demoralising to think we could never get in ahead of the pillars of pish, even for just one solitary year.

But how do you go about competing with them given the gates they enjoy, in an age whereby Bosman ensures you can't keep hold of your best players, and CL cash exacerbates the problem in every league in Europe? A Celtic-supporting mate of mine keeps an eye on our fortunes because he says they all know if a challenge is ever to come from outside Glasgow, it'll be from us; but he also knows anyone who tries to do it more or less destroys themselves in the process. Chances are, it's only if we get ourselves a sugardaddy who didn't mind losing millions each year that we could emulate what Villa are doing in England, Hoffenheim in Germany, or Sivaspor in Turkey: none of them would be anywhere near contending if they all lived within their natural means.

Which brings us back to the time honoured question: what sugardaddy in their right mind would buy a mid-ranking club in a non-lucrative league? The bit about "their right mind" being key - because that surely explains Vlad. And even then, there'd be institutionalised bias to overcome, players being tempted away by bigger clubs, dodgy refereeing, twelve to sixteen points being necessary from the 8 games with the OF each season... it's a tough, tough ask. Back when the Williams sisters were in their pomp, any other tennis player had to beat both of them in order to win a Grand Slam, which invariably proved too much. And finishing above not one (which will surely happen again at some point) but both of the gruesomes is just as challenging.

Not like you to over elaborate when a one word answer will suffice Shaun:rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

We had the evidence in 1986, 1998 & 2006 that puting in a very strong challenge is possible......to actually win the SPL though we'd probably need to be marginally stronger than we were in those seasons and require a favourable combination of circumstances and everything to be perfect (as much as possible) for us.

Once we'd won the league I'd expect our team & possibly also our manager would be plundered soon after as bigger clubs would see us as rich pickings......sadly.

We had the evidence in 1986, 1998 & 2006 that puting in a very strong challenge is possible......to actually win the SPL though we'd probably need to be marginally stronger than we were in those seasons and require a favourable combination of circumstances and everything to be perfect (as much as possible) for us.

Once we'd won the league I'd expect our team & possibly also our manager would be plundered soon after as bigger clubs would see us as rich pickings......sadly.

Yes we would be plundered but would you care?

Like many on here, I hope we win it but can't see it. But then I look at the league and see we are only 15 points behind at a time when we have an average side with no real strength.

I think what we could do if we hadn't wasted wages on Makela, Beslija, Gonclaves and Kingston and believe without spending a fortune and with a bit of luck injury and suspension wise it could be possible.

to do it requires a hard nosed stance - which is what we are going through now.

so years of plundering valuable players till Hearts have <10mill debt and Vlad has taken out 10-20mill (that money will then be used to build the new stand).

once that's done, we have new possible revenue streams, more gate money for the class A games and half a chance to keep decent players.

Charlie-Brown

The team would need to go on a great run - we didn't start out with a great team in 1986 but they had great team spirit and as they went on that incredible unbeaten run their self belief & self confidence grew so much that they became at least as equally strong as the other title contenders .... that kind of season could be replicated ..it also depends on what level of Old Firm competition we faced, we'd need them both to be closer to the pack than they sometimes have been in recent decades.

Just look at the old firm squads, make no mistake they are both on a downward spiral. Gone are the days of Laudraup(sp?) larsson, di canio, gazza etc etc.If we can put together a half decent team and consistently beat the pash teams in the league then it is definatly there for the taking.

The old firm are nothing now.

Charlie-Brown

Second place is also an 'achievement' worth striving for - not only would it gives us the potential of a champions league place although qualification to the groups would be extremely difficult and unlikely however there would be the consolation of Europa league placings as well as denying one of the Old Firm any chance of the much sought after Champions League money - Hearts & Kaunas denying Rangers the possibility of CL money in 2 seasons out of the last 3 has undoubtedly caused Rangers some financial pain.

Second place is also an 'achievement' worth striving for - not only would it gives us the potential of a champions league place although qualification to the groups would be extremely difficult and unlikely however there would be the consolation of Europa league placings as well as denying one of the Old Firm any chance of the much sought after Champions League money - Hearts & Kaunas denying Rangers the possibility of CL money in 2 seasons out of the last 3 has undoubtedly caused Rangers some financial pain.

2nd place is just as good as 1st place when it comes to financial gain, Assuming the team that finished 2nd also qualifies for the champions league.

If we had beaten Athens I wonder if things would be any different?

Family circumstances have stopped me from going to matches as much as I would love to these past few years.

I am of an age that I can just remember the time when Hearts were probably Scotland's top team- for a short while. These memories alone make me believe we can do it. Yes I believe Hearts can win the league. We have had incredibly bad luck a few times since those glory days. With a consistent team and a team which is not afraid of winning- the fear of winning is worse than the fear of losing- . For the last few decades in particular every team outwith the auld firm have not believed they can take the ultimate prize.

Hearts are my greatest football passion and I bleed maroon.

What I see just now is a team gradually rebuilding and gaining more confidence,

eking out results in the league. I have come to like the manager and if we hang on to crucial players (we know who they are, there are a few who are starting to really play for the shirt), sign a couple of new players- yes a striker, and a Berra replacement possibly, and have an atmosphere which only Tynecastle can provide - Hearts can definitely rise up from the lowly hope of being "the 3rd force" in Scottish football.

I have a good few years left in me and even one more league win would have me dancing for the rest of my life.

Cheers fellow Jambos

Yes, 5 - 15 years, and it will be Csaba assuming he stays.

Csaba Laszlo is the man to take us forward. He has done so much with very little financial backing, bringing a team that finished 8th last season to currently third, and we're well past the halfway mark. We will finish top six this season, maybe even European football, Csaba has been amazing this season.

...a team that finished 8 and has since been weakened further! Laszlo impresses me more with every week that passes.

In your lifetime do you expect Hearts to win the league? If so, how long?

Well in my lifetime - they have won it twice.

I voted no, because I don't expect to live to see the circumstances come together that will lead us to the title again in the years left to me (and I'm not that old, but I'm not young). We need to produce players the like of Bauld, Conn, Wardhaugh, Young and Mackay and keep them long enough (ie. a few seasons together) to knit as a team and win. As the sales of players and bumbling of the current regime shows, that won't be happening in the short term. In the medium term, who knows?

The old firm are looking like they may be vulnerable in the current circumstances -- they are dropping points even this season, but we aren't in a position to take advantage of it, financially or organizationally. I like the manager, but we can't conclude a loan deal. Doesn't bode well for us gaining in strength soon.

I voted no, because I don't expect to live to see the circumstances come together that will lead us to the title again in the years left to me (and I'm not that old, but I'm not young). We need to produce players the like of Bauld, Conn, Wardhaugh, Young and Mackay and keep them long enough (ie. a few seasons together) to knit as a team and win. As the sales of players and bumbling of the current regime shows, that won't be happening in the short term. In the medium term, who knows?

The old firm are looking like they may be vulnerable in the current circumstances -- they are dropping points even this season, but we aren't in a position to take advantage of it, financially or organizationally. I like the manager, but we can't conclude a loan deal. Doesn't bode well for us gaining in strength soon.

The 2005/06 team properly managed and left alone to get on with it under a proper manager and a level playing field, would have ABSOLUTELY P|SSED THIS LEAGUE and thats a fact.

We and several other teams in this league are NOT that far away. It depends on which one of us is prepared to take that little gamble and do a little extra to really challenge them.

I reckon 4 decent, but not world beating, signings would put us in a position to give them a fright for the league (provided we keep the decent players we have)

The 2005/06 team properly managed and left alone to get on with it under a proper manager and a level playing field, would have ABSOLUTELY P|SSED THIS LEAGUE and thats a fact.

We and several other teams in this league are NOT that far away. It depends on which one of us is prepared to take that little gamble and do a little extra to really challenge them.

I reckon 4 decent, but not world beating, signings would put us in a position to give them a fright for the league (provided we keep the decent players we have)

Oh, we would have won 05/06 going away without insane people pushing the destruct button, that's part of the reason I think we have no chance in the near future. I agree that we're probably about 4 good signings away from being a real threat, but at season's end, we're likely to lose at least a couple more to transfers and contracts not being renewed. It is possible that the players we get in will be shrewd enough signings to close the gap somewhat, but I'm not remotely convinced that will happen, whether it is available finances or the acumen to target the right players, or the ability to convince them that this is a good destination for them. The failure to successfully register the loan deal at window's close (for whatever reason) is only the most recent evidence.

Many European leagues have only a couple of 'big fish' in the pond - maybe even most of them. But almost all of them throw up 'surprise' champions every once in a while. It will happen one day, and statistically we have the best chance of being the club to do it when it does. But I'm not going to hold my breath!

Archived