Two miles to Tynecastle - FTAO BB

Seats

Most of us have probably read this by now and I would be interested in hearing a few things from the man himself if Mr Buffalo Bill wouldn't mind conducting an online interview for KB'ers!

I have always fancied having a go at writing and would be interested to know -

What inspired you to start the book in the first place?

How did you find the writing experience?

was the publication process difficult?

Over to you, for more questions!

Most of us have probably read this by now and I would be interested in hearing a few things from the man himself if Mr Buffalo Bill wouldn't mind conducting an online interview for KB'ers!

Also curious about this point. I'm currently writing something very sporadically but would reckon I could push myself a little more if I knew more about this process.

Seats,

Thanks for asking.

I only actually learned how to use a computer in 2002. After that, I started writing short stories from my childhood just to forward to mates and the more I wrote: the more enjoyment I got from doing them. I also had a long-term desire to write a Hearts-themed book and the two genres just seem to blend in to one another, so after some encouragement from people close to me I just went for it. Certain other things happened to me around the start of it all so the timing was right. The real inspiration though was to try and make sense of the things that happened to me as a kid and I think I managed to do that. I wasn?t trying to impress anyone or be anything that I?m not. I just did it for me. It?s a story of growing up in a family, in Edinburgh, supporting Hearts.

Slagging off Towzer was the best bit: talking about the rest of my family, the worst. I hit a major brick wall after about three or four weeks of solid writing and I abandoned it for a month. The best bit of advice I got though was from the JKB guys in Toronto to go all the way through to the end of the first draft. Once I did that, I felt like it was ?game on?. Most of the hard work is done in the second and third drafts. The fourth is a ?final cut? and the fifth and sixth are a toothcomb (although I still found a couple of post-print spelling errors). It was a difficult journey though. Remembering dates, facts and events was easy for an anorak: but hanging out the laundry was very hard going. There?s more info on my website if anyone?s interested (no? didn't think so).

Was the publication process difficult?

Very difficult and hugely deflating but ultimately worth persevering with. I attended a workshop at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in 2007 and hooked up with the author, Ron Butlin. Both gave fantastic advice, although you can find out the ?tricks? (such as font/presentation etc) online or in any help guide. How to present a manuscript is a fairly straightforward process. Dealing with the rejections is the difficult bit, including refutation from Edinburgh publishers. Unless, you?re writing about bagpipes, Leith Docks or tablet then find someone else. Rejection from the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2008 was a sore one too. Authors of all varieties of books get invited to be part of the festival from holding discussions to just pitching up but I wasn?t required. I guess I?m not ?international? enough for them. WH Smith Books at The Gyle is main book store in the west of Edinburgh and a Hearts hot-bed. They wouldn?t stock my book, despite dozens and dozens of people asking for it. An assistant said that people were coming up to her all the time to buy it but they were all turned away. It?s a shame, as it would probably have been my best-selling store. Although it?s just a small market, the book got to number one in Waterstones Cameron Toll and number two in Princes Street (behind Katie Price!) WH Smith Books suck.

However, it was Dexter who tipped me off to my publisher in Oct 2007. It helps if you find the right kind of publisher to publish your book. The best trick is to go into Waterstones and see who publishes football books, or crime novels etc. Funnily enough, months later, I heard back from an Edinburgh publisher who was interested: but I?d already signed sign my contract.

Buffalo Bill

And youve met some really fantastic people since the book came out I believe:mw_rolleyes:

Aye, and some right b**tards too. :laugh:

Buffalo Bill

Miller Jambo 60

Buffalo Bill

Aye i bet you have mate.

Your familly must be proud of you bringing out the book.

I know a lot of Hearts fans are, me included.

Well done bud.

Dougstar.

Robbos Right Peg

Very difficult and hugely deflating but ultimately worth persevering with. I attended a workshop at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in 2007 and hooked up with the author, Ron Butlin. Both gave fantastic advice, although you can find out the ?tricks? (such as font/presentation etc) online or in any help guide. How to present a manuscript is a fairly straightforward process. Dealing with the rejections is the difficult bit, including refutation from Edinburgh publishers. Unless, you?re writing about bagpipes, Leith Docks or tablet then find someone else. Rejection from the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2008 was a sore one too. Authors of all varieties of books get invited to be part of the festival from holding discussions to just pitching up but I wasn?t required. I guess I?m not ?international? enough for them. WH Smith Books at The Gyle is main book store in the west of Edinburgh and a Hearts hot-bed. They wouldn?t stock my book, despite dozens and dozens of people asking for it. An assistant said that people were coming up to her all the time to buy it but they were all turned away. It?s a shame, as it would probably have been my best-selling store. Although it?s just a small market, the book got to number one in Waterstones Cameron Toll and number two in Princes Street (behind Katie Price!) WH Smith Books suck.

However, it was Dexter who tipped me off to my publisher in Oct 2007. It helps if you find the right kind of publisher to publish your book. The best trick is to go into Waterstones and see who publishes football books, or crime novels etc. Funnily enough, months later, I heard back from an Edinburgh publisher who was interested: but I?d already signed sign my contract.

Buffalo Bill

BB just to give the other side of the coin for Seats.

I found it pretty easy to get an Edinburgh publisher interested (I know you told me that they initially rejected your project) Although I would say there were/are a few things that they could have done better after publication. I guess it is just a case of being lucky unless you can afford an agent and I doubt either of us will ever be able to afford that !!! :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I was watching a programme on BBC3 last night about publishing and how hard it is for the big guys to actually make a profit nowadays with Amazon, having to pay for placement and huge advances for so called "celebrity authors" (Paul O'Grady got a 7 figure advance ffs)

Did you make any wedge?

Thanks guys, very interesting stuff. I suppose the hardest step must be showing someone your first piece of work and getting that out the way?

Come on, surely more people must have questions for a world famous (ahem) author?

I P Knightley
Thanks guys, very interesting stuff. I suppose the hardest step must be showing someone your first piece of work and getting that out the way?

Come on, surely more people must have questions for a world famous (ahem) author?

I'm afraid that I am questionless.

I've got the book but have not had the opportunity to make headway into it. Ski holiday coming up - I always get a lot of reading done then.

I refused to buy it due to the authors horrible fascination with the size of my wanger.

I heard you wanted Two miles to Tynecastle diagonally on it, but after Two there was no more room. :mw_rolleyes::D

BB, I work in WHSmith books and I've personally been asked more about your book last year than I did any other. I told my manager that it would sell well and that so many people had asked for it but he didn't say much on the subject.

I'm only a part timer there but another full time guy I worked with couldn't understand why we didn't stock it either. He's also Hearts daft and kept on asking why we wouldn't stock it. He seemed to think it was something due to the amount of local books that actually get stolen because of where they are placed in the shop.

I didn't understand it tbh, the week it came out I got asked a few times a day whether we had it in as they knew you and wanted to give it as a gift etc. I have no doubt that we would've been able to sell your book out easily. Also, I understand you work really near the Gyle? A few of your colleagues came in asking for it one day. It's still a mystery as to why our manager never got it in.

It's the same with all Hearts books in the shop though, we took an age to get Gary Mackay's book in and even gave people the wrong release date as it had the wrong date on our system. Even then we got about 5 copies in and it sold out withing a couple of days. The Greatest Ever Season book was the same, sold out within days and not seen it since.

Seats,

Thanks for asking.

I only actually learned how to use a computer in 2002. After that, I started writing short stories from my childhood just to forward to mates and the more I wrote: the more enjoyment I got from doing them. I also had a long-term desire to write a Hearts-themed book and the two genres just seem to blend in to one another, so after some encouragement from people close to me I just went for it. Certain other things happened to me around the start of it all so the timing was right. The real inspiration though was to try and make sense of the things that happened to me as a kid and I think I managed to do that. I wasn?t trying to impress anyone or be anything that I?m not. I just did it for me. It?s a story of growing up in a family, in Edinburgh, supporting Hearts.

Slagging off Towzer was the best bit: talking about the rest of my family, the worst. I hit a major brick wall after about three or four weeks of solid writing and I abandoned it for a month. The best bit of advice I got though was from the JKB guys in Toronto to go all the way through to the end of the first draft. Once I did that, I felt like it was ?game on?. Most of the hard work is done in the second and third drafts. The fourth is a ?final cut? and the fifth and sixth are a toothcomb (although I still found a couple of post-print spelling errors). It was a difficult journey though. Remembering dates, facts and events was easy for an anorak: but hanging out the laundry was very hard going. There?s more info on my website if anyone?s interested (no? didn't think so).

Buffalo Bill

Bugger. Was hoping you'd say it was a piece of **** :laugh:

Bothered, still going to write it anyway even if at the end of the day all I have is something I can look back at myself in years to come.

I hope I'm around in 30 years time to read the epilogue. Which will of course include a chapter about the celebrations in the Diggers when we won this.

[ATTACH]1877[/ATTACH]

Robbos Right Peg

It's the same with all Hearts books in the shop though, we took an age to get Gary Mackay's book in and even gave people the wrong release date as it had the wrong date on our system. Even then we got about 5 copies in and it sold out withing a couple of days. The Greatest Ever Season book was the same, sold out within days and not seen it since.

John the reason for that is that the publishers order for the first production run was allocated immediately they were received from the printers. This meant that it was instantly 'sold out' so there could be no re-orders. It took them a further 7 months to organise the book to be re-printed in paper back form. Perhaps the same thing happened to BB & Gary Macs books.

Seats,

Although it?s just a small market, the book got to number one in Waterstones Cameron Toll and number two in Princes Street (behind Katie Price!)

Buffalo Bill

Crikey .... (gulp) ... that got me thinking ...

Hi BB

I've very glad to finally realise who you are on KB. Though the Hannibal link had kinda got me wondering if it was you.

You signed a copy of your book for my Dad which I received for Christmas and loved reading of your life & times. Your honesty of your story has made me laugh and cry for you. It is a proper true life drama that I'm sure we can all relate to on so many levels - the trials of life and football!!

If you don't mind me asking, How did your family and friends feel about being exposed through out your book so graphically.

It is very rare to get the oppertunity to read a book set in real time where the "characters" based around the memories are still around and able to kick your ass if they're not too keen on your recollection's.

(I've just remembered your wee girl being born on kickback - and now I've read a book about the very history of her existance. Oh you are cool :mw_rolleyes:)

Chad Sexington
Hi BB

If you don't mind me asking, How did your family and friends feel about being exposed through out your book so graphically.

I'll field this one BB.

In a word....disgusted.

I come across as a bit of a ******.

:mad:

I'll field this one BB.

In a word....disgusted.

but at least now you are a famous ******! :)

BB just to give the other side of the coin for Seats.

I found it pretty easy to get an Edinburgh publisher interested (I know you told me that they initially rejected your project) Although I would say there were/are a few things that they could have done better after publication. I guess it is just a case of being lucky unless you can afford an agent and I doubt either of us will ever be able to afford that !!! :)

Mike, I think your book had a far greater appeal to local publishers than mine; and of course there?s the historic significance attached to it too.

Your publisher was in fact my ?great white hope?, but they rejected it on the grounds of having already done a quota of ?Hearts books? (probably yours included). I found the Edinburgh scene to be a bit less open-minded than the publisher I found. In my opinion, it?s very ?establishment?, for want of a better word; and that includes stockists etc.

Still, mustn?t grumble. Hope to see you for a pint soon.

Buffalo Bill

BB, I work in WHSmith books and I've personally been asked more about your book last year than I did any other. I told my manager that it would sell well and that so many people had asked for it but he didn't say much on the subject.

I'm only a part timer there but another full time guy I worked with couldn't understand why we didn't stock it either. He's also Hearts daft and kept on asking why we wouldn't stock it. He seemed to think it was something due to the amount of local books that actually get stolen because of where they are placed in the shop.

I didn't understand it tbh, the week it came out I got asked a few times a day whether we had it in as they knew you and wanted to give it as a gift etc. I have no doubt that we would've been able to sell your book out easily. Also, I understand you work really near the Gyle? A few of your colleagues came in asking for it one day. It's still a mystery as to why our manager never got it in.

Appreciate your post, mate.

Apparently WH Smith Books are notoriously difficult to deal with.

Buffalo Bill

chester copperpot
Appreciate your post, mate.

Apparently WH Smith Books are notoriously difficult to deal with.

Buffalo Bill

Is this a Q&A session now mate, as I have loadsa questions I want to ask on the book.

More specifically GF1. ;)

BB, have you thought of the possibility, now that you've seen one project through, of writing a work of fiction, possibly football-related?

Hi BB

I've very glad to finally realise who you are on KB. Though the Hannibal link had kinda got me wondering if it was you.

You signed a copy of your book for my Dad which I received for Christmas and loved reading of your life & times. Your honesty of your story has made me laugh and cry for you. It is a proper true life drama that I'm sure we can all relate to on so many levels - the trials of life and football!!

It is very rare to get the oppertunity to read a book set in real time where the "characters" based around the memories are still around and able to kick your ass if they're not too keen on your recollection's.

(I've just remembered your wee girl being born on kickback - and now I've read a book about the very history of her existance. Oh you are cool :mw_rolleyes:)

Thanks for your kind words, Barbarella. As for your question:

Er, mixed reaction!

Some people close to me were delighted. Other, much less so!

Some people thought I shouldn?t have written it.

....but I did.

Buffalo Bill

BB, have you thought of the possibility, now that you've seen one project through, of writing a work of fiction, possibly football-related?

Hopefully one day but I have another 'Hearts' book out in August and I'm working on another non-fiction book just now.

I'm also planning yet another non-fiction book after that in collaboration with someone who posts on here.

After all that, I'd like to do a novel. I've been studying the art of 'creative writing' at Uni so I'll be all set to have a go at it sometimes around 2067.

I've pitched a great idea recently to Chad Sexington. Maybe he can tell us about it.

My next immediate project is making home made pizza for the wife and me.

Buffalo Bill

Is this a Q&A session now mate, as I have loadsa questions I want to ask on the book.

More specifically GF1. ;)

She crushed my heart, mate.

Back in '92.

Just before we lost to Airdrie. :eek:

Buffalo Bill

chester copperpot
She crushed my heart, mate.

Back in '92.

Just before we lost to Airdrie. :eek:

Buffalo Bill

I never asked a question. :D:D

I have a question about the Weights bench she said she had so much fun on. Hardy har.

One of the boys in my work has just his his second book (i think) published, a crime thriller, and he says it is virtually impossible to get anything published without an Agent.

Did you have an agent or is that a position vacant? :laugh:

Regards the book. So good i read it twice. As a Sighthill/Broomhouse boy it was a pleasure to read about the places (and some of the people as well) that i've grown up with and known all my days. Some things i just don't think you would appreciate if you weren't a West Edinburgh boy. Or a girl. It's a bit like the Irvine Welsh* book Glue in that respect.

Well done old chap, my only regret is that i never made it to 'launch night'.

* I am in no way comparing you to Irvine Welsh by the way. Although it would interesting to know if he'd actually read TMTT, i know he takes an interest in Edinburgh literature. And it's been well documented he lurks on here.....

My favourite line in the book?

"Ah love you, but ah'm pure angsting and verbalising man. I need tae define masel first, at Film College likesay, or maybe Stevenson".

This is a mucho interesting thread,keep it going folks.

If anyone hasnt read the book,get it now,its good!

Page 55 is my favourite:mw_rolleyes:

One of the boys in my work has just his his second book (i think) published, a crime thriller, and he says it is virtually impossible to get anything published without an Agent.

Did you have an agent or is that a position vacant? :laugh:

Regards the book. So good i read it twice. As a Sighthill/Broomhouse boy it was a pleasure to read about the places (and some of the people as well) that i've grown up with and known all my days. Some things i just don't think you would appreciate if you weren't a West Edinburgh boy. Or a girl. It's a bit like the Irvine Welsh* book Glue in that respect.

Well done old chap, my only regret is that i never made it to 'launch night'.

* I am in no way comparing you to Irvine Welsh by the way. Although it would interesting to know if he'd actually read TMTT, i know he takes an interest in Edinburgh literature. And it's been well documented he lurks on here.....

My favourite line in the book?

"Ah love you, but ah'm pure angsting and verbalising man. I need tae define masel first, at Film College likesay, or maybe Stevenson".

Thanks man.

I don't have an agent. As a matter of course, I tried to get one.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed it.

Buffalo Bill

Danny my good man. Andrew has based his writing and looks on Irvine. He even let his hair fall out so he could look like him.

Only kidding mate. It's a cracking read and I am proud to count you as a friend Andrew.

Q1.WHERES MY ROYALTIES CHEQUE ?

I have a tent, a punch bag and a ghetto blaster to replace first.

Buffalo Bill

He even let his hair fall out so he could look like him.

Not anymore.

sarah-palin-drag-mjkmjk.jpg

Buffalo Bill

I'll field this one BB.

In a word....disgusted.

Nah your fine :rolleyes:. I felt for poor Lesley on many occasions she sounds like a saint

Thanks for your kind words, Barbarella. As for your question:

Er, mixed reaction!

Some people close to me were delighted. Other, much less so!

Some people thought I shouldn?t have written it.

....but I did.

Buffalo Bill

Cheers. And good for you for doing it. Can I order my copy of the next volume now?

One of the best lines; Hibs hadn't won the cup since Emmeline Pankhurst and Queen Victoria (ok, so Victoria was dead but her body was still warm!) :108years:

Buffalo Bill

Private Message

Bowie,

I very much enjoyed your book of which I bought two extra copies for Aussie pals. Some items required explanation for the "non-initiated"! Now as to the other matter, the window of opportunity for me in Dubai has temporarily closed due to the credit crunch. You alone know what I refer to. I NEVER give up however and when the window opens I will be there again! I can tell you Man City are about to get some real grief or so it is rumoured from AD. AD has all the oil (i.e revenue) and they subsidise Dubai emirate construction also, and, they are REALLY struggling to fund currently, and of course domestic issues take priority. Finally there is a one bedder property going cheap above Robbo's Bar on Gorgie Road which we are looking at with a view to purchase! JR

Private Message

Bowie,

I very much enjoyed your book of which I bought two extra copies for Aussie pals. Some items required explanation for the "non-initiated"! Now as to the other matter, the window of opportunity for me in Dubai has temporarily closed due to the credit crunch. You alone know what I refer to. I NEVER give up however and when the window opens I will be there again! I can tell you Man City are about to get some real grief or so it is rumoured from AD. AD has all the oil (i.e revenue) and they subsidise Dubai emirate construction also, and, they are REALLY struggling to fund currently, and of course domestic issues take priority. Finally there is a one bedder property going cheap above Robbo's Bar on Gorgie Road which we are looking at with a view to purchase! JR

Good to hear from you, J and thanks for the heads-up.

See you next time you're over, for a pint.

Buffalo Bill

Malcolm Tucker
Can I not be in your next book....Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaase

Who me?

Sorry I don't have a book.

Templeton Peck
Who me?

Sorry I don't have a book.

Not you genius tennis player. Mibby if you care to give us an insight into your life we may care

Archived