Poor Atmosphere

ecjambo

Just thought Id post a different view of the game on Saturday. The ref, the linesman, the tactics, the team selction etc have all been brought into discussion since the game but Id like to post on the atmosphere, or lack of it.

Fair enough the game was not too exciting especially in the first half but we have to remember it was a Cup game and we really should have been up for it from the start. We should have given some of those young Falkirk players a taste of how intimidating we can be and made them think a bit. All we got was a bit of 1902 and the odd 'Bruno, Bruno' shout.

And when we went 1 nil down that is definitley when we should have kicked into gear, when the team needed us most and made the difference. But did we? No. Apart from giving the referee some deserved abuse and one rendition of the Hearts Song there was nothing.

Nearly every manager in the league goes on about how passionate the Hearts fans are and the atmosphere that can be created from us. But rarely in the last few season have we seen it. You may all have reasons for why we have seemed to lose this atmosphere and please feel free to respond.

However the way I see it is if we all still care for that badge so passionately and want to see us at the very least qualify for Europe lets start showing it on a Saturday. Lets bounce back from the dissapointing Cup exit, put all that behind us. Lets show everyone in Scotland that we are 'the Hearts' and together from Saturday we will be taken seriously for third place and will finish there at the end of the season.

Divide and conquer, apathy rules and all that. The atmosphere at tynecastle has been poor for a long time now and no one fears coming here any more.

However we are still at tynecastle so you should be eternally grateful. :rolleyes:

Jambof3tornado
The atmosphere became interesting when things got controversial.

Often the atmosphere is at its best when we feel hard done by,which is frequently of late.

The players must help to generate excitement which in turn generates an atmosphere.

Just thought Id post a different view of the game on Saturday. The ref, the linesman, the tactics, the team selction etc have all been brought into discussion since the game but Id like to post on the atmosphere, or lack of it.

Fair enough the game was not too exciting especially in the first half but we have to remember it was a Cup game and we really should have been up for it from the start. We should have given some of those young Falkirk players a taste of how intimidating we can be and made them think a bit. All we got was a bit of 1902 and the odd 'Bruno, Bruno' shout.

And when we went 1 nil down that is definitley when we should have kicked into gear, when the team needed us most and made the difference. But did we? No. Apart from giving the referee some deserved abuse and one rendition of the Hearts Song there was nothing.

Nearly every manager in the league goes on about how passionate the Hearts fans are and the atmosphere that can be created from us. But rarely in the last few season have we seen it. You may all have reasons for why we have seemed to lose this atmosphere and please feel free to respond.

However the way I see it is if we all still care for that badge so passionately and want to see us at the very least qualify for Europe lets start showing it on a Saturday. Lets bounce back from the dissapointing Cup exit, put all that behind us. Lets show everyone in Scotland that we are 'the Hearts' and together from Saturday we will be taken seriously for third place and will finish there at the end of the season.

Must agree,one of the worst cup atmospheres at Tynecastle ever in my many years of going.

Strangely enough,no one seemed up for it!

MaskedMagician

The main reason for the poor atmosphere is that the team is just not performing. No at all on Saturday did it look like a cup tie that the players were all up for and wanted to win.

The atmosphere at tynecastle has went down hill can't see it getting back to the way it was the season we won the cup.Most of that is down to that knob end Romanov.

Divide and conquer, apathy rules and all that. The atmosphere at tynecastle has been poor for a long time now and no one fears coming here any more.

However we are still at tynecastle so you should be eternally grateful. :rolleyes:

Mate, I am delighted to still be at Tynecastle. But why cant we produce the atmosphere we did have on a regular basis. Saturday is a huge game for us and the fans can be the so called 12th man. I just hope we turn up for it.

Its hard to generate a good atmosphere when there is nothing on the pitch to excite us. Lee Wallace and Andy Driver had us out of our seats a couple of times in the first half but apart from that, only the match officials got us making any noise.

I think we should try and turn our anger into singing songs backing the team rather than singing 'SFA **** **** ****' etc though. We got a good rendition of the Hearts' song going after the penalty decision I think, but that was about it.

Mate, I am delighted to still be at Tynecastle. But why cant we produce the atmosphere we did have on a regular basis. Saturday is a huge game for us and the fans can be the so called 12th man. I just hope we turn up for it.

I wouldn't hold your breath mate as I said tynecastle has been poor for a long time now. Even when we are winning the performances and quality of player is pretty dire.

good OP.

put it this way, the romancers of the cloven hoofed ruminant animals wont be quiet on saturday, let's not let them turn it into a home game for them.

The People's Chimp

The atmosphere has been basically non-existent for at least a year and a half.

scots civil war

hehe,hearts ironies in abundance...

re atmos, im looking over from section n and all i see are cramped up punters all over the ground.ive bin over at the wheatfield once and i ****ing hated the seating arrangements bigtime.....too tight to move even

totally thwarted on getting a proper party goin imo

stand up and watch the game,any game............if you do it on masse(anfield,liverpool anyone?) then they cant do a ****ing thing about it.........

they,being the feds of course

The main reason for the poor atmosphere is that the team is just not performing. No at all on Saturday did it look like a cup tie that the players were all up for and wanted to win.

i tend to disagree,should we just be making a atmosphere when the going is good??i think the 2 cup wins has gone to a lot of supporters heads and they have expectations that are to high,there was many times in the 80s and 90s when they team were performing a lot worse than now but a lack of atmosphere was never a issue

The atmosphere has been basically non-existent for at least a year and a half.

Hardly surprising, over the years various boards have killed the passion within our club, sometimes even making us into a laughing stock in the press, who just LOVE a dig at us! The reason there's no passion in the ground these days is pure and simply down to the quality of product in front of us. Too many players over the last while have no desire for the club. In days gone by, a move to Hearts was seen as a step up, only second to a move to the "bigott brothers". Nowadays, players coming in are only interested in waiting for their agents to get them a quick buck somewhere else, no Robbos, Leveins, Clarks, Colquhouns and Mackays nowadays. It's a vicious circle though, if players show passion and commitment, the fans would too and create an atmosphere, this is the main problem and nothing will get done to change this in the near future, until someone with passion, vision and commitment buys the dictator out.

MaskedMagician
i tend to disagree,should we just be making a atmosphere when the going is good??i think the 2 cup wins has gone to a lot of supporters heads and they have expectations that are to high,there was many times in the 80s and 90s when they team were performing a lot worse than now but a lack of atmosphere was never a issue

I agree, i think we should be making noise throughout the game winning or losing but fans do find it hard to urge on a team where most of them look like they aren't bothered.

I agree, i think we should be making noise throughout the game winning or losing but fans do find it hard to urge on a team where most of them look like they aren't bothered.

two wrongs dont make a right,i see your point but the support feed of the players efforts and attitude on the park and the players will feed off the backing and support from the crowd

The atmosphere at tynecastle has went down hill can't see it getting back to the way it was the season we won the cup.Most of that is down to that knob end Romanov.

we have a manager who is doing a good job but is always being undermined by romanov and his puppet director of football. the club web site says if you love hearts buy a ticket for the game against aberdeen.......what a joke.

fans do not trust the club and our team suffers. all we want is the club to give the manager 100% support and not undermine the man.

if the fans are to BELIEVE again, romanov and his puppets need to get the people who matter 'on side' maybe then the club will become united and the atmosphere will return for all the games hearts play instead of the odd old firm / hibs game.

Glamorgan Jambo

Agreed about the atmosphere as it was my first visit of the season to Tynie. Ignoring the refereeing whoppers we played poorly and the fans don't seem to get as up about the cup as in the bad old days.

john brownlee
Must agree,one of the worst cup atmospheres at Tynecastle ever in my many years of going.

Strangely enough,no one seemed up for it!

I think you must have been sitting in the wrong section Saturday was the first time that I seen any recaction from the guy that sits beside me. I sometimes almost apoligise to him for my antics, but on saturday he was out of his seat bawling and shouting like the rest of us. maybe you should move to the gorgie stand thats where its happin'

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

we have a manager who is doing a good job but is always being undermined by romanov and his puppet director of football. the club web site says if you love hearts but a ticket for the game against aberdeen.......what a joke.

fans do not trust the club and our team suffers. all we want is the club to give the manager 100% support and not undermine the man.

if the fans are to BELIEVE again romanov and his puppets need to get the people who matter 'on side' maybe then the club will become united and the atmosphere will return for all the games hearts play instead of the odd old firm / hibs game.

I understand your point on the whole Romanov factor.

However I feel the passion from the Hearts support is still there, we wouldnt be getting over 12,000+ fans every home game if it wasnt. We all still love the club and want to see success whoever is in charge or whoever is on the pitch. We just need to start showing that passion through whatever songs we can think of! The team does not ouze quality players but it should not have to for us to sing their names. Look at Saturday when Wallace nutmugged a Falkirk player and skipped past another. Yes there was a few 'Whays' but nothing substansial. It was a perfect opportuinty for us to start up a song to get Tynie rocking. But like most weeks nothing materialised.

We need to forget the Romanov factor and introduce the Tynie factor. One that is full of passion, singing your heart out, winding up the opposition fans/players/managers, going mad when we score, and losing your voice by the end of it all.

I think you must have been sitting in the wrong section Saturday was the first time that I seen any recaction from the guy that sits beside me. I sometimes almost apoligise to him for my antics, but on saturday he was out of his seat bawling and shouting like the rest of us. maybe you should move to the gorgie stand thats where its happin'

I'd agree with that actually john, i also saw a lot more folk get hot and bothered than I've seen for a long time from the usual quiet confounds of section B... in fact I think we were the first section to have stewards placed in front of us when things were getting heated.....

Its jsut a shame that it took those circumstances to get these folk interested

The Gorgie Stand:eek:??? Memo to self..must take up knitting;)

Jam Tarts 1874

Yup, we put together some excellent passages of play especially in the first half. However it was as if no-one cared. Expectations are far too high, some people need to remember that we have a fairly ordinary team right now (which is pretty much how it has been for most of the club's history) so we should just try and get behind the team warts and all.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I find it hard to motivate myself when I can hardly feel my hands and feet, there is few chances of goals and the standard of football is crap.

Well I for one hate the atmosphere at tyne atm but you know why.

We have had out team decimated. Every cult hero we have had has lasted 6 months or a year then sold to the highest bidder. There is no sense of Hearts any more for the fans to grab onto. Its hard to get inspired by Elliot Zal etc give me a Wilkie or a De Vries (sp maybe im tired) that will actually fight for us and at leas seem to care.

Four simple things will get us all going again:

1. Some new, original songs to be belted out. No more of the "who are ya", "easy easy", "you're not fit to referee" or the "der der der der" unoriginal brigade.

2. The idea that the players can rely on us to spur them on, just as much as we bank on them to give us something to sing and shout about. We aren't buying a product, it's different. If you want effortless entertainment go to the circus. If we lent some support we'd see a return. This also requires less booing. Hard, I know. There have been times when the performance merited a fantastic atmosphere but we, the fans, failed to deliver to the players. This should be fixed.

3. Sing these new songs and our originals for longer than five seconds. We have the best songbook in Scotland yet we never follow through. The Hearts song lasts a few lines on the rare occasion it does get sung, and the other verses of South Morocco are ignored.

4. Stand.

Voila: a good atmosphere.

I see your point Pringle. We do need some new songs, 'the Hearts are having party' and 'oh the Hibees are gay' were good at the time but now times have changed. We have new players, different ambitions and we need to try and come up with some bright ideas for songs. That season (winning the cup&finishing second), fair enough we were playing some brilliant football, but the songs and party atmosphere was up with the best Ive known.

We shouldnt have to wait for another season like that to produce some much needed atmosphere though. We should start it on Saturday. The team needs us, first and foremost, then the they might produce something extra special for the fans. (Here's hoping!)

We shouldnt have to play Rangers, Celtic or Hibs to get us off our seats and singing. We should be cranking up the volume every week. Certainly against who we are competing for third place for. So lets start against the sheep on Saturday and give them something to think about.

Libertonian_II

The atmosphere at Tynecastle is burdened by expectation, ie the expectation that s**t will happen, which it invariably does.

I'm 51, seen it (during the 70's), done it, bought the tee-shirt but having to watch a bunch of vastly over-paid, under-achieving players doesn't make me want to encourage them, rather I'd wait 'til they gave me something to cheer about which, they don't.

The current team IMHO is the worst I've seen for the last 15 to twenty years That's strange given that players such as Driver, Wallace, Aguair, Nade, Kingston & Cesnauskis are all capable or better players.

I'm not convinced about Lazslo yet. Next season will be his defining moment

Nelly Terraces
The atmosphere at Tynecastle is burdened by expectation, ie the expectation that s**t will happen, which it invariably does.

I'm 51, seen it (during the 70's), done it, bought the tee-shirt but having to watch a bunch of vastly over-paid, under-achieving players doesn't make me want to encourage them, rather I'd wait 'til they gave me something to cheer about which, they don't.

The current team IMHO is the worst I've seen for the last 15 to twenty years That's strange given that players such as Driver, Wallace, Aguair, Nade, Kingston & Cesnauskis are all capable or better players.

I'm not convinced about Lazslo yet. Next season will be his defining moment

Superb post, and basically sums up how I feel, I've been in the depths in Div1, or weeks to go in the Prem when we were already relegated, but then I still felt something for the players and the team. Now I could hardly care, I actually can't stand most of them, and if any of them left I couldn't give a toss, most of them will be gone soon anyway, who cares - they certainly don't look as if they do, that's for sure.

The problem is as Libertonian has said, you just expect something kerap will happen either on the pitch, or off it ,so there's no real point in getting worked up about any of it really.

NT.

I havent been to Tynecastle for a while recently for one reason or another but I was surprised by how flat the place was on Saturday. It is a long way from what it used to be like. I understand that the team need to give us something to cheer about but it works both ways. Lets get back to the times on Saturday where there were we as fans were constantly singing songs for the full 90 mins. We cant change the quality of the players on the park but we can certainly support them and give them a sense of passion!

the reality is we rarely create a good atmoshpere ourselves, only rising to the challenge of the hibs or old firm in the big games. tynecastle increasingly noticeable for being where the away fans create a better atmosphere amongst themselves, witness the Bairns fans last week. Daresay the Dons will bring a fair num,er of wallapers this week and create a decent noise, esp if things go their way on the park. Much more than we've done either at home or up there for a good while.

hear alot about tyne can provide a great atmosphere but from what i've seen its as much away fans enjoyin themselves as anything else this last wee while.

This is across Scottish football. The football on show is poorer, plus the influx of foreign players has diluted the passion on the field. Add to that the fact of how well paid they are is ****ing everyone off.

Poorer football + Less passion + overpaid players = poor atmosphere

What did Robbo, MacKay etc earn at the top? Probably, about ?2K. The money is ruining football, and it all stems from Sky etc and the EPL in my opinion.

And from the Hearts support point of view, I think you can add in being shafted by refs and being able to do nowt to chnage it.

I see it this way. It doesnt matter who is wearing the jersey, its the jersey itself that counts. The maroon strip means the World to all of us. You can blame the players, the manager, the formation, the owner, the quality of football on show etc. All of that should not matter though. What should matter is the support for the club, the badge, the history, the Jambos, Heart of Midlothian Football Club. We need to get a sense of pride back inside Tynecastle. Its up to us to show the world that we can create some atmosphere despite all the bad things that have happened to us recently.

Proud to be a Jambo til I die!

Alright mate, how's it going?

You definitely have a point when it comes to the fans needing to create an atmosphere but I think the atmosphere has been a result of the last couple of years.

Fans go to games to be entertained and to see the players giving everything for the cause. We still have far too many players on big wages that don't care and only play when they feel like it. The other main problem I see is the formation and for pretty much the last eighteen months we've played with one guy upfront which is just dull, boring and is more likely to take away the home advantage due to the fact that the crowd can't get into it as much. Instead of frustrating the opposition, we are handicapping ourselves by frustrating the fans. It's even worse when you consider we've not even had a striker in the past calendar year since Velicka left (I refuse to acknowledge that Nade is one because he doesn't want to be).

I think between now and the end of the season, hopefully the atmosphere will be better because we've really got something to aim for. Then in the summer we have a massive clearout, get players in that want to play for the jersey and then try and attack teams.

Since I've been going to matches since the early 90s, the best atmosphere inside Tynecastle was 97-98 and 05-06. Yes we had good players then but most of all we just went out and attacked teams. I'm just sick of the negative formations and that reflects the atmosphere.

I see it this way. It doesnt matter who is wearing the jersey, its the jersey itself that counts. The maroon strip means the World to all of us. You can blame the players, the manager, the formation, the owner, the quality of football on show etc. All of that should not matter though. What should matter is the support for the club, the badge, the history, the Jambos, Heart of Midlothian Football Club. We need to get a sense of pride back inside Tynecastle. Its up to us to show the world that we can create some atmosphere despite all the bad things that have happened to us recently.

Proud to be a Jambo til I die!

Epic post, mate. Exactly how I feel. Let's start a supporters group. :laugh::laugh:

I still don't buy this entertainment malarky. Go to the pictures or something instead then. We, as supporters, have a duty to cheer the shirts on, because like it or not, they are representing us.

How about this: if you don't want to sing about the current lads, sing the classics. Revive a few old chants, plus the existing ones about Drew Busby, Foster and Robbo and that still counts as an atmosphere. It will get the nostalgia going, that way you're creating an atmosphere and even if you're not happy with things on the park. Just sing!

Archived