Striker in scoring positions

Coco

Much to criticise in Saturday's display, particularly some players and the manager.

But let us look at the big positive - for me was the link up play of our full backs getting to the bye line and pulling the ball back for a striker who for the first time this season was getting into good scoring positions. Wallace, Driver and Neilson all did well in the first half - and I thought that Glen should have scored at least one of the chances created.

I think that it is time to persevere with Glen up front. I think he needs the games to get fully up to speed with the first team, but his positioning - getting into the positions where he could have scored - suggests to me that he is a real striker.

With the chance of prizes gone for the season, I think that getting the likes of Glen experience in the first team will be invaluable for next season.

Guest JamboRobbo
Much to criticise in Saturday's display, particularly some players and the manager.

But let us look at the big positive - for me was the link up play of our full backs getting to the bye line and pulling the ball back for a striker who for the first time this season was getting into good scoring positions. Wallace, Driver and Neilson all did well in the first half - and I thought that Glen should have scored at least one of the chances created.

I think that it is time to persevere with Glen up front. I think he needs the games to get fully up to speed with the first team, but his positioning - getting into the positions where he could have scored - suggests to me that he is a real striker.

With the chance of prizes gone for the season, I think that getting the likes of Glen experience in the first team will be invaluable for next season.

Agree Coco. It's clear every time he plays that Glen is a player. He has plenty to learn, but we need to give him the time and opportunity to do so, as he clearly has the natural ability.

It'll probably be tough for a while as he's nowhere near the finished article, but at least there'll be some hope for the future.

Wallace, Jonson, Driver and Glen are our stars of the future, and I think we'll reap the benefits of giving them gametime so young.

You are right Coco it was good to see Glen getting into the box, as for Nade he is strong and holds the ball up okay but its a big but he does not get into the box quick enough so I would play Templeton just of Glen then we would have more pace up front, I know some will say they are to lightweight but until Tullberg hopefully gets fit it will give us something different to try up front.

Grumpy.

Charlie-Brown

The only criticism of glen on saturday was that due to inexperience he got caught between play in the 2nd half & was thus hardly involved before being subbed

Nelly Terraces

I liked the way we looked and played 1st half Saturday. For the 1st time this season we started looking like a proper team, with attacking options and getting the ball forward quickly, on the deck.

I kept an eye on Glen, and you can tell the boy is a striker, he's always on the prowl looking for openings and likes to hang off the last defender waiting for through balls, and is always sniffing around for chances. He will get us goals - if he has a proper strike partner up with him (not Eggy!).

If Nads is fit this weekend then it has to be him up there wi Gary, I think the pair of them could give that git Diamond and his cohorts a hard time. You know it makes sense Csaba.

I seen more natural goal scoring instinct in 45mins from Glen on Saturday than i have from Nade in 2 seasons.Ok he missed the first chance but at least he had a go with it if it were Nade he would have turned dithered and waited till another few bodies where round him before trying to lay the ball off.In fact Nade would still be thinking about what to do with the chance now.The 2nd chance was a good save by the keeper but again he struck the ball first time.

I think Gary Glen is what we've been crying out for, a penalty box striker. His hold up play was poor on Saturday, I can't recall him linking with a teammate once, however, it was refreshing to see a forward getting into scoring positions, no-one else has managed to do that since Velicka left and for that reason alone Glen should be given a run in the team as an out and out striker.

Guest JamboRobbo

Also noticed that in his chance set up by Robbie where the keeper made a good save, Glen was involved in the build up (laying the ball off), before turning and getting himself into the box in time to have a shot.

Which makes the excuse often given for Nade not being there seem ridiculous(apparently he does work outside the box so not able to get into the box).

Nelly Terraces
I seen more natural goal scoring instinct in 45mins from Glen on Saturday than i have from Nade in 2 seasons.Ok he missed the first chance but at least he had a go with it if it were Nade he would have turned dithered and waiting till another few bodies where round him before trying to lay the ball off.In fact Nade would still be thinking about what to do with the chance now.The 2nd chance was a good save by the keeper but again he struck the ball first time.

Totally agree, Nads is no striker. Gotta say though mate, with the current personnel available to us just now though, I think a combo of Nads up top with Glen would do us OK, I think Nads can be enough of a nuisance to defenders to make space for Glen to take advantage of goal scoring opportunities.

Guest JamboRobbo
Totally agree, Nads is no striker. Gotta say though mate, with the current personnel available to us just now though, I think a combo of Nads up top with Glen would do us OK, I think Nads can be enough of a nuisance to defenders to make space for Glen to take advantage of goal scoring opportunities.

Agree Nelly. Big guy to hold the ball up, with a wee striker playing off him. Genius. I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere too.? :D

Nelly Terraces
Agree Nelly. Big guy to hold the ball up, with a wee striker playing off him. Genius. I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere too.? :D

Showing your age there chief!!:tongue:

Haven't you heard? Apparently Glen was 'mince' and 'proved he's not ready or good enough'.

His attitude stinks.

Haven't you heard? Apparently Glen was 'mince' and 'proved he's not ready or good enough'.

Who said that? Laszlo?:laugh:

Nelly Terraces

Actually, in an ideal world (full of fluffy kittens and war/hunger abolished etc:)), I think a front pair of Gaz G and Temps up top would be the nuts. But I highly doubt we'll see that in the near future, do you boys?

Who said that? Laszlo?:laugh:

You're not allowed to mention posters who haven't been on the thread yet.

I'm away for a boiled eggo.

Yes i think the two of them could be decent together.But another thing i noticed on Saturday as well and i know the lad looked lost but just how many headers and flick ons Jonsson won compared to Nade who hardly seems to win a header at all.I think Nade is just all about pure strength and holding players off great for little lay offs outside the box but nothing much else.I really think we need to see someone like Tullberg or a player like him in the team next season to play alongside Glen.Can you imagine a Chris Sutton type player playing alongside Glen.

Archived