Watchmen

djf

Zach Snyder's interpretation of possibly the most important comic book of all time comes out in less than a month and i'm wondering if anybody is looking forward to it as much as I am. From what's came out of the test screenings there is one massive change to the book which I wont spoil here but it sounds kinda bad so will have to see how it works.

Looking forward to the film, never read the graphic novel to be honest so that may make it easier to enjoy as I wouldn't be thinking about how much they've ruined the legacy of the comic

Snyder has said he wants to keep it close to the novel which is fair enough but really there is so much going on that unless it clocked in at well over 3 hours it's going to be need massively streamlined.

Apparently "The Black Freighter" will come out as an animated film on the eventual DVD release which is quite cool.

Important comic books?:rolleyes:

Graphic novel ;)

In fairness though though, it featured in Time magazines top 100 novels released since 1923 so it must have something going for it. :)

Looking forward to the film, never read the graphic novel to be honest so that may make it easier to enjoy as I wouldn't be thinking about how much they've ruined the legacy of the comic

I hear what you're saying but i'd probably make sure to read the book before seeing the film. It really is as good as the hype and I know i'd hate to have any elements of it spoiled before seeing what could be an average film.

I'm looking forward to it.

There's lots of genre movies out this year that could be groundbreaking, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 and of course Watchmen.

It's years since I read it, but it's on my to do list for the next few weeks. I've been trying to get my 11 year old son into it but he's not even reading DR & Quinch yet!

Alan Moore knows the score.

(I was joking about Transformers 2)

I'm down with you man. I was really pleased with V for Vendetta when it came out (a great film for plan journeys too) so I'm confident that they'll get this other milestone in graphic novels dead on.

Its encouraging too as I always felt V and W were timeless when I first read them. 2009 and they sure look that way now. Another title I want to bounce on this thread is "Shade the Changing Man" ...now that joint is the dogs! Unbeatable brilliance.

Deodato

Zach Snyder's interpretation of possibly the most important comic book of all time comes out in less than a month and i'm wondering if anybody is looking forward to it as much as I am. From what's came out of the test screenings there is one massive change to the book which I wont spoil here but it sounds kinda bad so will have to see how it works.

Darth Sidious

Can't wait. Wife can't understand why I am so keen to see this film. I think she will not get it and will be sitting for 2-3 hours and say, is that it.

Might have to sit through a '4 Christmases' and 'He Just Aint In To You' marathon to get to see this.

Gerard Butler is voicing the Black Freighter.

Silk Spectre I an II, Giggity!

Give us a shout when you're going bruv doubt my missus or yours will be into it :mw_rolleyes:

Really looking forward to it looks amazing, never read the novel and might just wait until after the film too many films have been ruined for me when i've already read the book and end up hating perfectly good films because they don't reach my unrealistically high expectations

there is a screener version of excellent quality on isuhunt to be downloaded if thats yer thing.

Konrad von Carstein

Off on a tangent slightly but I have never been so disappointed in a film as I was with the steaming pile o ***** that was Judge Dredd, how they could feck up a stellar opportunity to create a great film given the story line potential and the popularity of JD is beyond me.

Off on a tangent slightly but I have never been so disappointed in a film as I was with the steaming pile o ***** that was Judge Dredd, how they could feck up a stellar opportunity to create a great film given the story line potential and the popularity of JD is beyond me.

I read there was talk of a new Judge Dredd movie but can't remember where I saw it.

I read there was talk of a new Judge Dredd movie but can't remember where I saw it.

Mentioned in the atest edition of Total Film

apparently the folk that did 28 weeks/days later will be involved in doing it (not Danny Boyle but the effects folks) filming hopefully starting later this year

Hope they realise unlike the Stallone film, Dredd does not taking his effin helmet off

Konrad von Carstein

Hope they realise unlike the Stallone film, Dredd does not taking his effin helmet off

Hope they realise unlike the Stallone film that they have a wealth of material to make a fekkin brilliant film...and also Dredd doesn'y take his helmet off.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but who would you see as the perfect Dredd? Stallone was never in my list...Hope it not some poofy pretty boy...I think Gerard Butler would be OK for the role.

Word is Ron 'Hellboy' Perlman is in for the Dredd role.

I actually thought the Stallone movie had it's good points, I hated the the helmet coming off, but I thought the Angel Gang were well realised. It wasn't the worst comic adaptation, Daredevil? Superman Returns? (I hated Superman Returns)

Konrad von Carstein

I actually thought the Stallone movie had it's good points, I hated the the helmet coming off, but I thought the Angel Gang were well realised. It wasn't the worst comic adaptation, Daredevil? Superman Returns? (I hated Superman Returns)

Good shout he was the dude in one of the Blade films could see him in the role.

Superman Returns - Singer basically re-made the 1st Superman movie by Richard Donner, had so much potential to re-ignite the franchise but was a complete snorefest

I actual enjoyed Daredevil :laugh:. Wouldnt argue with anyone that its actually a good film tho...

Superman Returns was absolute dire, thought the first Hulk was terrible as well I thought, although to be fair it was quite a brave effort.

I actual enjoyed Daredevil :laugh:. Wouldnt argue with anyone that its actually a good film tho...

Superman Returns was absolute dire, thought the first Hulk was terrible as well I thought, although to be fair it was quite a brave effort.

Ang Lee trying to simulate the story board of a comic was pain in the tits.

Want to see the new Punisher to see if its cack or no, the Punisher is an amazing book but the movie's have been turds. Didnae like that Tom Jane at all in the most recent on. The best bit was the assasin playing the gee-tar.

A punisher film needs to be dark as ****

Graphic novel ;)

In fairness though though, it featured in Time magazines top 100 novels released since 1923 so it must have something going for it. :)

Someone got it for me as a present a few months ago, and at the time I thought I couldn't be bothered reading it. But I'm glad I did - to the extent that I am wary about the movie.

Want to see the new Punisher to see if its cack or no, the Punisher is an amazing book but the movie's have been turds. Didnae like that Tom Jane at all in the most recent on. The best bit was the assasin playing the gee-tar.

Apparently it's a lot closer to the MAX series. Frank is meant to be a complete **** in this one.

The reviewers in the states have given it a bit of a pasteing, although fans who have seen it reckon it's because the reviewers don't have a clue about the comics. They don't seem to get the fact that the Punisher isn't a hero as such. He's just a bad ass mutha*****a who likes to kill bad people.

I'm personally looking forward to it.

Ang Lee trying to simulate the story board of a comic was pain in the tits.

Aye, it was a decent idea but in practice it was terrible. Especially when the comic in question is the Hulk - HULK SMASH!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading this last night. Only just started getting into graphic novels and really wanted to read this before i saw the film. I'll be going through to the IMAX to watch it I think. Not too sure about what djf is saying, re a massive to change to the book, alarm bells ringing slightly for me. They'll have to change things slightly I suppose because, even at 3 hours long, there's no way they're getting all of it in.

If you plan on watching the film, I would suggest reading the book first. Glad I did, it's really ignited an interest in graphic novels for me. Only one I had read before this was Dark Knight Returns. Got Year One and Killing Joke to read too, then moving onto some other Batman titles, probably Hush and Arkham Asylum.

Going to have to check out V for Vendetta too, not seen the film but it looks interesting.

Incidentally, when reading Watchmen, anyone think Rorshach reminds them a bit of Doug? Throw in a few MAHA's here and there and it's bang on!

For reasons I'd rather not disclose I managed to obtain a couple of tickets to a screening of Watchmen for industry types over a week ago. I'll say right now that it's a great movie. I'd say that fans of the graphic novel will not be disappointed; Snyder's created basically a film version of the comic...the film clocks in at 163 minutes and leaves very very little out. In that respect, comic fanboys are going to love it.

However, I will say that there are minor alterations to the story to make it more of a 'movie' I guess. Particularly at the end, the specifics of the story are tweaked to tie the whole thing together that I can imagine graphic novel geeks being outraged at. There are also one or two occurences throughout the movie that are added in, but easily contribute to the movie. An example is a montage where the history of Dr. Manhatten is fleshed out; they have him at the first moon landing which in my recollection, wasn't in the comic.

Overall, the look of the film is excellent. It truly feels like a Watchmen movie should. For the record also, this is a violent film and doesn't use many camera techniques to disguise the violence; arms are chopped off, people are shot square in the face and the camera hides almost nothing. The rape scene is intact as well, and unquestionably Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian steals the show.

Don't know what else to say, the film opens up with an awesome sequence outlining the history of the Minutemen before it really gets going. It sets the scene brilliantly and really lets you know you're in for a class film. Rorscharch's voice was a little overdone for me, but he is coolness personified throughout and its a convincing performance.

In the focus group afterwards there were a couple of guys who clearly were huge fans of the graphic novel. Their comments were largely positive and had hardly a bad word to say about the film. They said that they were unsure about Snyder directing but were happy with the final result. There was a woman who admitted to knowing nothing about the story who said she felt it was a little too long but enjoyable. I'm trying not to ruin anything but just let me assure you that it's a great film and I'll definitely be going again!

Cheers for the review, I can't wait for this now.

The DVD release should be amazing as well, as the amount of detail they went into for the film should mean the DVD is piled with extras.

I cant wait to see it!

Its out on the 6th March in the UK aint it?

Just a thought, will it be better in an IMAX theatre or at an Odeon? Never seen a film on an IMAX screen but heard they are supposed to be better quality?

For reasons I'd rather not disclose I managed to obtain a couple of tickets to a screening of Watchmen for industry types over a week ago. I'll say right now that it's a great movie. I'd say that fans of the graphic novel will not be disappointed; Snyder's created basically a film version of the comic...the film clocks in at 163 minutes and leaves very very little out. In that respect, comic fanboys are going to love it.

However, I will say that there are minor alterations to the story to make it more of a 'movie' I guess. Particularly at the end, the specifics of the story are tweaked to tie the whole thing together that I can imagine graphic novel geeks being outraged at. There are also one or two occurences throughout the movie that are added in, but easily contribute to the movie. An example is a montage where the history of Dr. Manhatten is fleshed out; they have him at the first moon landing which in my recollection, wasn't in the comic.

Overall, the look of the film is excellent. It truly feels like a Watchmen movie should. For the record also, this is a violent film and doesn't use many camera techniques to disguise the violence; arms are chopped off, people are shot square in the face and the camera hides almost nothing. The rape scene is intact as well, and unquestionably Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian steals the show.

Don't know what else to say, the film opens up with an awesome sequence outlining the history of the Minutemen before it really gets going. It sets the scene brilliantly and really lets you know you're in for a class film. Rorscharch's voice was a little overdone for me, but he is coolness personified throughout and its a convincing performance.

In the focus group afterwards there were a couple of guys who clearly were huge fans of the graphic novel. Their comments were largely positive and had hardly a bad word to say about the film. They said that they were unsure about Snyder directing but were happy with the final result. There was a woman who admitted to knowing nothing about the story who said she felt it was a little too long but enjoyable. I'm trying not to ruin anything but just let me assure you that it's a great film and I'll definitely be going again!

mate can u give me a pm as to what they've changed of the ending? i think i know already but i just want to confirm.

Cheers for the review, I can't wait for this now.

The DVD release should be amazing as well, as the amount of detail they went into for the film should mean the DVD is piled with extras.

there's a cartoon being made of the pirate comic that features, and i think that will be released with the dvd....

there's a cartoon being made of the pirate comic that features, and i think that will be released with the dvd....

That is coming out on DVD around the time the film is out in the cinema. Not sure how well it will work without the parallels with the main storyline. Dunno if it will hold up on its own or not, but looking forward to seeing it as well.

I cant wait to see it!

Its out on the 6th March in the UK aint it?

Just a thought, will it be better in an IMAX theatre or at an Odeon? Never seen a film on an IMAX screen but heard they are supposed to be better quality?

Undoubtedly better at the IMAX. Saw Dark Knight there and it blew me away. That only had six scenes shot with an IMAX camera, I THINK (not certain) that all of Watchmen is shot with IMAX cameras. The screen is MASSIVE. Wiki says: A standard IMAX screen is 22 metres (72 ft) wide and 16.1 metres (53 ft) high, but can be larger.

If you do go to see it at the IMAX, try to sit as far back as possible.

Incidentally, if anyone has any other good graphic novels to suggest as a starting point, feel free to throw a PM my way. Read Batman Year One today, going to read Killing Joke and order Arkham Asylum. I'd quite like to build a wee collection but I'm not clued up enough to know where to start.

Anything by Alan Moore is worth a read, V for Vendetta is a favourite, but I also really like the stuff he did for 2000AD, Halo Jones and DR and Quinch are brilliant, if a lot less adult!

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is superb, The Dark Knight Strikes Again is not as good, but still better than most.

Marshall Law by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill is excellent, but the other shorter comics are not as good as the original.

My all time favourite comic was Stray Toasters, I'm not sure if it's available as a graphic novel, but Bill Sienkiewicz's art work is amazing. I have no idea how easy it would be to get hold of now though...

:edit: There's plenty on Ebay if you have a spare ?20

Anything by Alan Moore is worth a read, V for Vendetta is a favourite, but I also really like the stuff he did for 2000AD, Halo Jones and DR and Quinch are brilliant, if a lot less adult!

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is superb, The Dark Knight Strikes Again is not as good, but still better than most.

Marshall Law by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill is excellent, but the other shorter comics are not as good as the original.

My all time favourite comic was Stray Toasters, I'm not sure if it's available as a graphic novel, but Bill Sienkiewicz's art work is amazing. I have no idea how easy it would be to get hold of now though...

Cheers mate! Read Dark Knight Returns and enjoyed that. Will check out some of your other suggestions.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Do people actually still read comic books nowadays?

I'm not slagging - I genuinely had no idea that comic books were still popular.

Do people actually still read comic books nowadays?

I'm not slagging - I genuinely had no idea that comic books were still popular.

Yes, and they are extremely popular.

my mate tells me its not going to be on at the imax as its an 18....

can anyone confirm/deny this?!

It's not listed on the IMAX Glasgow website. I'll have a wee look about but it would be a bit stupid to not show it since its an 18 considering the amount of money they could make from it.

EDIT: Just found this....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/2009/02/24/exclusive-scottish-film-fans-to-be-denied-chance-of-seeing-watchmen-in-imax-86908-21149185/

Darth Sidious

For PS3 users....anyone know if the freebie clothes are available on PS HOME yet. Was looking for a smiley face t-shirt.

Why would it matter if its an 18? Is IMAX that detailed?

I saw the preview on the TV earlier and it said on in Imax cinemas?

Kearney i think its just GLasgow IMAX - i can only imagine that its because the glasgow one is part of the science centre and thus has to appeal to families? still showed The Dark Knight tho which was pretty violent.

W@nkers.

Archived