Scottish Cup chances

Victorian

all dependent on hearts managing to negotiate a way past a tricky tie...

if we get through, i think we're going to need some much overdue luck in the draw(s) or a marked improvement in our form away from home.

5th round ties:

aberdeen v east fife

airdrie v dunfermline

celtic v queens park

hamilton v dundee united

hearts v falkirk

inverness v kilmarnock

motherwell v st.mirren

forfar v rangers

can't see too many shocks to be honest (hamilton being the stand out) so we're looking at a last 8 including both OF, aberdeen, dundee united and two other SPL sides.

out of the 14 possible draws we can get in the last 8 (7 teams either home or away), the only 'good' draws would be 3 possible home ties versus the other 2 SPL teams or airdrie/dunfermline.... otherwise things are going to be very tricky.

as the old adage goes i suppose.... all you can hope for is a home tie.

Optimus Prime

All the big guns are still in. We could get one of the OF away in the next round and that could be that.........lets get Falkirk out the way first.

One of the OF at Tynie would do me. :)

there's maybe a lot of merit in that. if we're going to win it then we'll probably have to beat at least one of them along the way and our best chance would be at home and this is the last 8 would be the last home tie. by the same token it would be nice to have a hampden day oot, even if it's just for the semi final.

dunfermline at tynie along with an OF quarter final would be great but the odds are 83/1

One of the OF at Tynie would do me. :)

No chance. We WILL get one of the OF, and you can bet your boots that the " hot" ball is a home tie for them. But lets get passed Falkirk eh?

Nucky Thompson

If we get through, I would love the Last 8 to look like this.

Hearts v Dunfermline

Rangers v Celtic

Dundee Utd v Aberdeen

ICT v St Mirren

If we get through, I would love the Last 8 to look like this.

Hearts v Dunfermline

Rangers v Celtic

Dundee Utd v Aberdeen

ICT v St Mirren

Do you think the GFA would agree?

I suppose this would be too much to ask for...?

East Fife v Dunfermline

Queens park v Inverness

Hearts v Forfar

St.Mirren v Hamilton

we're due some luck anyhoo. here's our last 5 draws:

2006 - hibs in semi final (when the others were dundee and gretna)

2007 - away to stranraer

2007 - away to dunfermline

2008 - home to motherwell, then away at the first hurdle

2009 - away to hibs at the first hurdle

not much luck there, plenty of joy in 2 notable games!!!

No chance. We WILL get one of the OF, and you can bet your boots that the " hot" ball is a home tie for them. But lets get passed Falkirk eh?

I agree best not get ahead of ourselves, but if we make it passed falkirk, will defo be one of OF we get . I'd take Rangers at tynie saving smeltic for the final.

we're due some luck anyhoo. here's our last 5 draws:

2006 - hibs in semi final (when the others were dundee and gretna)

2007 - away to stranraer

2007 - away to dunfermline

2008 - home to motherwell, then away at the first hurdle

2009 - away to hibs at the first hurdle

not much luck there, plenty of joy in 2 notable games!!!

Its true we've not had much luck in recent draws but I'm very glad (in retrospect) that we got to put hibs out in the semi final. If it had us against them in the final i'm not sure my nerves would've held.

Hate to come across all doom and gloom, but I think Falkirk would be quite happy to take us to a replay and may come with that intention, and I don't fancy our chances away from home at all.

Airdrie - No thanks!

Airdrie are still in the competition.

Agreed.

I refuse to get optimistic about our chances in any competititon that those monsters are still involved in. When Airdrieonians finally died it seemed that we were safe but the newly reanimated Zombie "Airdrie United" pitched up at Tynecastle in the wee cup thios season like a bad horror movie sequel to reinhabit my nightmares.

They've now gone 10 games undefeated against us FFS!

Should we find ourselveves in the semi finals with Rangers playing the Zombie Diamonds in the other I will genuinely be wanting Rangers to win.

Scottish Cup chances?

I'm sure a bit of 'Bazza type basketball' or a 'Brines type red card' will put paid to our chances!

:rolleyes:

Airdrie are still in the competition.

Good. I always welcome the opportunity to bury old phantoms.

aberdeen v east fife

airdrie v dunfermline

celtic v queens park

hamilton v dundee united

hearts v falkirk

inverness v kilmarnock

motherwell v st.mirren

forfar v rangers

You'd probably expect the teams who I've highlighted to go through. However the Hamilton and Inverness games are tough to call.

Hopefully a home tie against Dunfermline in the next round ;)

really hope aberdeen get humiliated once again in the cup by getting put out by the fifers.

an OF QF would be ideal but chances are slim and none IMO.

IF we get past falkirk then i'd take anyone at home in the next round

To be honest the way we are at the moment, any of the teams would be tricky (like tomorrow will be). On our day we can beat anyone, but we can also lose to anyone. Would be nice to think we would take the "good" form into the cup ties, but I don't think we are capable of channeling when we play well.

lets get past falkirk first they are a good team we got beat by hamilton last week so nowts easy the fact its a home tie is only thing in our favour so if we are going all the way lets do it the hard way remember 2006 final not easy that day PHEW

lets get past falkirk first they are a good team we got beat by hamilton last week so nowts easy the fact its a home tie is only thing in our favour so if we are going all the way lets do it the hard way remember 2006 final not easy that day PHEW

The Hamilton game is a prime example. We had the chance to go clear in 3rd and bottled it. Hopefully we can get it together tomorrow and play at our best. Unfortunetly I can't decide on doing well in the cup and getting third. Both have high value but I can't see us doing both.

The Hamilton game is a prime example. We had the chance to go clear in 3rd and bottled it. Hopefully we can get it together tomorrow and play at our best. Unfortunetly I can't decide on doing well in the cup and getting third. Both have high value but I can't see us doing both.

I would go for 3rd rather than "doing well" in the cup.

I would however go for winning the cup rather than 3rd EVERYTIME!

5th round ties:

aberdeen v east fife

airdrie v dunfermline

celtic v queens park

hamilton v dundee united

hearts v falkirk

inverness v kilmarnock

motherwell v st.mirren

forfar v rangers

Aberdeen, Dunfermline, Celtic, Dundee United (after a replay), Hearts, ICT, Motherwell and Rangers to go through. In which case, my guess is we'll go out in the semis. Our chances are moderate, and similar to those of Aberdeen and United, with Motherwell lively outsiders. History tells us that only truly outstanding Hearts sides win this competition, and I can't see it being any different this year - with the caveat that we have a decent tie in this round, and should simply look to go as far as is feasible.

Aberdeen, Dunfermline, Celtic, Dundee United (after a replay), Hearts, ICT, Motherwell and Rangers to go through. In which case, my guess is we'll go out in the semis. Our chances are moderate, and similar to those of Aberdeen and United, with Motherwell lively outsiders. History tells us that only truly outstanding Hearts sides win this competition, and I can't see it being any different this year - with the caveat that we have a decent tie in this round, and should simply look to go as far as is feasible.

very good point shaun and when you think about it it's true enough.

with the possible exception of the 1976 runners-up side, all of the hearts teams which have either won the cup or come runners-up since the war have been some of our best sides.

1956 - winners, one of the all time best sides in the making.

1968 - runners-up, some of the players still there from the prolific league cup winning sides of the 60s.

1976 - runners-up, not one of hearts best eras.

1986 - runners-up, no explanation necessary.

1996 - runners-up, the prelude to the awesome 1998 side.

1998 - winners, best side since 1986.

2006 - winners, the vast majority of our best side since 1986.

Screw history. ;) Sometimes you've just got to win things on character alone. :tongue:

Archived