BBC Scotland: Sport

Independence

A few weeks ago I complained to BBC Scotland, by email. I complained because during their Reporting Scotland Sports section they once again featured a pathetic story about Chris Boyd and his possible transfer and offered no coverage of the M'well v Hearts game, that was being played that evening, or any mention of the sad loss of Alfie Conn!!!!

I complained that once again they had shown total ignorence towards fans of M'well and Hearts and had insulted many fans by not even mentioning the passing away of Alfie Conn.

I sent the complaint that evening.

Suddenly and out of the blue (pardon the pun) I received the following reply this evening from BBC Scotland.

It is good that they have replied but the time it has taken them is a disgrace!

I will leave you to make up your own minds about the reply but hope that you would take from the reply that WE must keep complaining about the obvious bias shown continually towards the OF from BBC Scotland. It states quite clearly that complaints will be taken further!

"Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'Reporting Scotland'.

Firstly, please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we are sorry you have had to wait on this occasion.

I understand that you were disappointed that the Motherwell v Hearts match didn't feature on 7 January but a report on Rangers did. I note your further disgrace that the news of the death of Alfie Conn was not featured.

All our coverage is driven by editorial decisions, which try and reflect the strength of the breaking sports news and the demand from our listeners and viewers.

We concede that Celtic and Rangers do get more coverage than other Scottish football clubs - as they do in every other media outlet. However, we consider this reasonable given the size of the followings of both clubs and their Scotland-wide nature and we do strive to cater for fans of all clubs.

The time allocated to sport in our programmes over the year is quite small in proportion of our total output and many sports enthusiasts also are disappointed. In reality, however, the sporting calendar and the success of Scottish teams determine what will inevitably be broadcast.

You may wish to read the following online news article from 7 January:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/7816483.stm

I appreciate you may continue to be disappointed with the coverage given to some Scottish clubs. Therefore, let me assure you I've registered your comments on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

All feedback we receive, whether positive or negative, is always appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your views.

Regards

Stefan Curran

BBC Complaints"

So a man who played a significant role in helping an east club club win trophies at the expense of the blessed Old Farce is not worthy of a mention upon his passing? Unbelievable.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your views.

Regards

Stefan Curran

BBC Complaints"

He's missing a 't' in his surname.

Hearts Heritage

There are many causes of the problem

A lack of historical knowledge of anything but the past 10 years

The era of the 'ex player' (i.e OF) pundit

True independent and knowledgeable football journalism wither Bob Crampsey now

a vicious circle of OF stories breeding other OF stories

So a man who played a significant role in helping an east club club win trophies at the expense of the blessed Old Farce is not worthy of a mention upon his passing? Unbelievable.

There's probably not a soul at BBC Glasgow who even knew who he was or what he achieved at Hearts.

portobellojambo1

At least they are honest and openly state their programme content is based on the fact that the OF fan base is the largest, therefore in some way they are entitled to see more about their teams than other viewers (even if those other viewers/ fans are probably more likely to pay the TV licence fee than said OF fans).

The BBC, as far as I was aware, was supposed to be totally impartial, and produce broadcasting to suit all, not target certain groupings, based on size (numbers wise) etc.

Its understandable really, and while Conn should've been mentioned Hearts do typically get reasonable coverage (in terms of column inches) in the media.

Teams like Hamilton, St Mirren and Inverness get very little and they could complain that Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen get greater coverage as well. I don't tend to read newspaper articles about Inverness as i'm not hugely interested so its easy to see why the media caters to the largest audience.

Similar to the argument about what games should be shown, but in reality a lot more people (inc neutrals) are likely to watch a Rangers or Celtic v St Mirren game than a Hamilton v St Mirren game. Good effort in making the complaint though.

At least they are honest and openly state their programme content is based on the fact that the OF fan base is the largest, therefore in some way they are entitled to see more about their teams than other viewers (even if those other viewers/ fans are probably more likely to pay the TV licence fee than said OF fans).

The BBC, as far as I was aware, was supposed to be totally impartial, and produce broadcasting to suit all, not target certain groupings, based on size (numbers wise) etc.

Yes I thought that too. The licence fee is paid for all, so it shouldn't matter who has the biggest support. Mentioning a game due to be played should take precidence over any chat on an individual player, or do the Beeb not care about their viewers in Edinburgh or Motherwell?

Sadly 'target audience' is pretty much the driver for all things these days, although that does not explain nor excuse why they have an arse like Murdo McLeod spouting sh*te on Sportscene :mad:

Guest GhostHunter
We concede that Celtic and Rangers do get more coverage than other Scottish football clubs - as they do in every other media outlet. However, we consider this reasonable given the size of the followings of both clubs and their Scotland-wide nature and we do strive to cater for fans of all clubs.

Forgive me, I thought my licence fee was paying for such programmes as BBC Reporting SCOTLAND, not, as they appear to say, BBC Reporting GLASGOW.

Fair and neutral reporting ?

Ersen Farkas to the lot of them.

do the half-wits at bbc scotland not realise that the majority of the population DO NOT support (or care one jot) about there precious old firm clubs.

its strange how bbc alba are more than capable of putting out a perfectly good sports programme that requires little to no influence from glasgows poison brothers.

Forgive me, I thought my licence fee was paying for such programmes as BBC Reporting SCOTLAND, not, as they appear to say, BBC Reporting GLASGOW.

Perhaps (as the OP suggests Dex) you're valid point should be raised via an email to BBC Weeg HQ ? ;)

Worth keeping up the sleeve as ammunition for a proper debate, if and when someone tries to claim the GBC are NOT AT ALL Glasgow centric :mad:

Archived