McRae's Battalion

JamTarts1874

Hey guys, I need some feedback.

I am thinking about trying to make a short film about the Hearts players that fought in McRae's Battalion, as a tribute to them, the club and everyone that fought so bravely in World War One in general.

I have a few ideas in mind, and this is something I am really passionate about.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought and if you think that it would be a good idea and also any idea how I could get funding for it, as I am not a big-shot movie producer or anything haha.

Cheers in advance.

Sell one of your kidneys

Serious though, why not set up charity boxes or something on match day?

I am thinking about trying to make a short film about the Hearts players that fought in McRae's Battalion, as a tribute to them, the club and everyone that fought so bravely in World War One in general.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought and if you think that it would be a good idea and also any idea how I could get funding for it, as I am not a big-shot movie producer or anything haha.

Cheers in advance.

You could try Scottish Screen or whatever they are called these days.

Just make sure you tell them your name is Torquel Fairsworth 3rd and you need ?100,000 funding to create a 30 minute art noir piece depicting the struggles of the working class hedgehog in the Outer Hebrides.

i think you have to say your a one legged lesbian imagrint, then they start throwing money at you, good luck in your endevours, i always thought the story would make a hollywood blockbuster

Cheers in advance.

i will sponser you..

Nucky Thompson

Cheers in advance.

You should contact Hollywood with the story. That would be right up their street, a sporting team who gave up the Championship to give the ultimate sacrifice.

i think you have to say your a one legged lesbian imagrint, then they start throwing money at you, good luck in your endevours, i always thought the story would make a hollywood blockbuster

It probably will mate once the Hollywood producers have finished with their latest little clique of remaking original horror movies or combining two franchises together. Only instead of Hearts saving football it will be the Boston Red Soxs, or some team like it, saving the world and baseball from the Kaiser.

Ally Alexander

With the anniversary of the First World War only 5 years away now is the right time to plan such a film but I agree with others a short film would not do it justice. However, you would require someone to come up with a compelling screenplay. Could be worthwhile approaching Ken Stott for assistence in recommending a screenwriter, director and even sources of finance. Pretty sure that lots of Hearts fan would contribute to the funding.

Thank guys, I really appriciate your input. This is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I have some experience in the area. If I can pull this off, get a decent amount of funding, a compelling script etc then I will not let anybody down, and I will try my upmost to do the men who fought in World War One and the club I love so much justice in this production.

Keep your comments and advice coming :)

Thank guys, I really appriciate your input. This is something that I have wanted to do for a while and I have some experience in the area. If I can pull this off, get a decent amount of funding, a compelling script etc then I will not let anybody down, and I will try my upmost to do the men who fought in World War One and the club I love so much justice in this production.

Keep your comments and advice coming :)

For ideas and suggestions, I suggest that you get in touch with Jack Alexander, who's a member on JKB. You can also reach the McCrae's Battallion Trust by clicking on the logo at the top of the page.

I'd be interested in writing the script for this! It's a great subject. Do you have one already? Might be tough making a short film about this as the subject matter leans towards an epic. I'd recommend a feature tbh. Funding wise, the main thing is having a good script so you can back up your convictions. Then maybe approach the likes of Plum films in Edinburgh to pitch the project and find a producer. Scottish Screen are also an option, though money is tight at the moment! Are you a filmmaker yourself? In other words, do you harbour ambitions to film this? I would love to see this on the big screen. Is Ken Stott not also a big Hearts fan? Maybe he'd help.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Regarding donations, they will be very much appriciated but will only be required once he have a solid screenplay and everything else sorted out.

I will keep you posted on the development of this though.

Thanks again for your help and comments.

Ally Alexander

You could have a bit of competition as Leyton Orient volunteered en-mass as well however I don't think they were on top of their league!

Regarding donations, they will be very much appriciated but will only be required once he have a solid screenplay and everything else sorted out.

From my limited experience in this area I'd say this is exactly the right way to go about it. I'm going the same route at the moment (although completely different subject matter). Get a script written, do a lot of research about where you might film it, possible actors (or if you're lucky get somebody to attach themselves to it) then when you have something that could actually work, look for funding.

I read an interview with Robert Carlyle saying that he lives in Glasgow but he hardly ever gets scripts for independent, Scottish projects. He sounded like he'd be willing to do things if the script etc. was right and not worry too much about the paycheque. People like him, Ken Stott, Bill Paterson etc. would be worth a shout.

And I'm an excellent director so you should give me a shout too.

Prince Buaben

With the screeplay. Dont put a love story through the middle of it though

Cheers in advance.

To be serious the Director of Hallem Foe that was made in Edinburgh (Starring Jamie Bell) is from Corbridge but knows Edinburgh very well. His name is David Mackenzie. If you can find out contact details he might be worth a punt. Also Film4 they always show some of their new films at the Edinburgh Film Festival.

Just finished the book today and I was thinking it would make a good film.

richard jobson (skids singer from the eighties) is a film maker, a good scotsman, i saw one of his low budget films a couple of years ago it was quite good (set in edinburgh) just another name to throw in the ring

Wasnt there a story about 5 or 6 years ago about a woman who lived in Wimbledon of all places who was planning to do a film (or was it a book ?)

Dunno what happened to her, mind you.

GC

BlackhallJambo

Fantastic idea and I wish you every success. i too would be interested in making a donation once you have a clear proposal.

Good luck

Extras should donate ?25 to be fair.:D

**** that - I provided this laddie with about ?60 worth of chewing gum in Maths in sixth year; the **** should be paying me!

**** that - I provided this laddie with about ?60 worth of chewing gum in Maths in sixth year; the **** should be paying me!

:laugh:

scots civil war

so whats the script chief,literally ?

you got one going? pm me if you want....if you know what you doing and have got a bit wedge sorted for it,then there are a few bods around who can point you in the direction re presenting,visually and historically, a very accurate and detailed film

something that lacks in some ww1 screen stuff......it has to look authentic

Good one for a film. I have read the book several times and it never fails to move me. I have earmarked a big chunk of my potential Euro Lottery winnings to the cause but as this may take a while I would gladly make a smaller donation if such funds are not forthcoming. By the way, don't let Hollywood interfere as I, seriously, have it first hand from the crew making the re-make of 617 Sqn (Dambusters) that they are having trouble pacifying the PC brigade with the dogs name looks like it may end up being "Trigger! Christ knows what hidden crap they would want to entwine into our story. Remember, they started the film Pearl Harbour with 2 brave Americans winning the Battle of Britain for us.

WorldChampions1902

A poster in a previous incarnation of JKB had put a lot of work into a script for a film and he sent me a copy of the synopsis. He was seriously aggrieved as he had been in touch with the Pieman who was at that stage trying to negotiate something with at least one film company.

As I understand it, Jack Alexander has had some involvement with potential film production companies which are still ongoing. I'd be surprised if Jack doesn't comment on this thread when he reads it, so hopefully he will clarify all this.

Best of luck to the OP!

Wasnt there a story about 5 or 6 years ago about a woman who lived in Wimbledon of all places who was planning to do a film (or was it a book ?)

Dunno what happened to her, mind you.

GC

Jack Alexander
A poster in a previous incarnation of JKB had put a lot of work into a script for a film and he sent me a copy of the synopsis. He was seriously aggrieved as he had been in touch with the Pieman who was at that stage trying to negotiate something with at least one film company.

As I understand it, Jack Alexander has had some involvement with potential film production companies which are still ongoing. I'd be surprised if Jack doesn't comment on this thread when he reads it, so hopefully he will clarify all this.

Best of luck to the OP!

I can confirm that there are currently no film projects under discussion or underway. I tend to hear about them fairly early because most of the serious players have enquired about optioning the book - in order to link their version to my research. I don't think Mainstream/Random House would be hard to deal with, but for a whole host of reasons (Memphis Belle and the Lancaster saga among them), I am reluctant to become involved in any project of this sort. Some things, I think, shouldn't be turned into entertainment, and the first day of the Battle of the Somme is probably one of them.

i understand 100% where you're coming from jack, but i think it would make a wonderful film if handled correctly.

i think also the time is right to remind people of what happened almost 100 years ago.

i do agree wholeheartedly that this isn't the right subject material for entertainment.

it saddens me how the memories of those men and their colleagues is being forgotten, and not taught to the younger generation in a way they will become interested enough to carry the memory of those who fought for us. this story is unique though, and the football aspect will catch a lot of our youth

I think I agree with Jack. For every movie of a factual historical event that does it justice there are 999 that take too much licence with the truth in order to make money.

Hey guys.

Just to answer some of your questions. Please don't get the wrong idea and think that this will be some massive feature-length Hollywood blockbuster. The premise is to make a short 30-40 minute short which depicts the story of McRae's battalion as a tribute to the men who fought and died in World War One which we will hopefully enter into the Edinburgh International Film Festival.

This is going to be amatuer, but please do not think that it will be tacky or cheap. I am going to do my upmost to make this as good as I can and something that all us Hearts supporters can be proud of.

Thanks for your comments and advice and please keep them coming :)

Chris.

Pretty tough ask to film something historical on a low budget. A documentary maybe, but not a drama. All the best with it though.

while i completely understand Jack's sentiments on this i do feel that turning this story into a film(if handled correctly) could educate the masses that do not know the full story of McRae's battalion. it could also do the football club a lot of good and help spread the good name of Heart of Midlothian Football Club further.

Pretty tough ask to film something historical on a low budget. A documentary maybe, but not a drama. All the best with it though.

I'd agree with that. It would have to be along the lines of a documentary/drama that seems to be all the rage just now (tune into any Discovery Channel programme for ideaas) but probably more in depth than the BBC Scotland one, ie, maybe trying to look more in to the lifes of the men who fought for McCrae as we as the man himself.

Archived