Our U17s

We_are_the_Hearts

We_are_the_Hearts

Was speaking to someone at the game who said Rangers dominated the game and it was 3-0 going on 8-0. Anyone know why our U17s are so poor?

Charlie-Brown
Was speaking to someone at the game who said Rangers dominated the game and it was 3-0 going on 8-0. Anyone know why our U17s are so poor?

You are having a laugh aren't you?

Charlie-Brown

They also played & drew with Irish side Crumlin 21's team on friday evening and some of the kids were involved with the U19 squad on saturday morning before playing again on the sunday.....they've only lost a handful of games in the last 18 months - it was also the single biggest group of players they brought up a level in any year/age group when they stepped up from the U15 to U17 this season - virtually all of them are still only 15 or just about to turn 16 and still at School - only Sean Hill & Scott Robinson who now plays U19 are 16 and full time on the groundstaff.

Charlie-Brown

The U15 game scheduled for last weekend was also cancelled so Hearts mixed up the U15 & U17 squads for the games v Crumlin & Rangers and had some 14 year olds involved in both games just as they had the week before when Celtic could only raise 12 players & had to cancel the U17 & U15 games and play one U16 game instead.

We_are_the_Hearts
You are having a laugh aren't you?

No, this is what a friend was told by the ref. The ref is a Jambo. Can you comment on this game?

We_are_the_Hearts
They're not, they're actually very good generally.

But then young players are inconsistent.

That's refreshing to hear after what I was told.

Charlie-Brown
That's refreshing to hear after what I was told.

Another fairly simple explanation is that the same Hearts laddies put 5 past them last season winning 5-1 so maybe the Rangers kids had that wee bit extra motivation of their pride & revenge to play for .... Rangers have also got some very good kids themselves these days. :)

jamboinglasgow

thanks for the info Charlie, have to admit I dont know as much about the teams below the U19 level. Its good to hear that they have so many who have stood out that they have jumped up to the U17 level at a young (though ssaying that our U19s are quite young as well.)

Also I take it that the squad has Jamie Walker, David Smith and Shaun Thomson in their squad. And also what is Shaun Hill like as a player, not heard much about him but see he is on the U19 list on the website.

Charlie-Brown

I saw Hill & Robinson playing in the U17 last season JiG but it's mostly been the younger kids this season - last season U17's Balatoni, Deland, C.Thomson, D.Thomson, Woods, Love, Robinson & Hill all stepped up to the U19 age group although the last 2 are still eligible for U17........the 3 you mentioned are in the U17 squad as well as some other really promising kids in the 14,15 & 16 age group - after 15's they get 2 seasons at U17 level before they move the 17-19 age group although of course the best ones do sometimes step up at 16 or even 15.......every weekend there is some games up at the academy and the details on the that section of the Hearts website.

jamboinglasgow
I saw Hill & Robinson playing in the U17 last season JiG but it's mostly been the younger kids this season - last season U17's Balatoni, Deland, C.Thomson, D.Thomson, Woods, Love, Robinson & Hill all stepped up to the U19 age group although the last 2 are still eligible for U17........the 3 you mentioned are in the U17 squad as well as some other really promising kids in the 14,15 & 16 age group - after 15's they get 2 seasons at U17 level before they move the 17-19 age group although of course the best ones do sometimes step up at 16 or even 15.......every weekend there is some games up at the academy and the details on the that section of the Hearts website.

Sounds like Hearts are pushing through early the ones that show early development and promise (obviously the others in each age group are given time to develop later.)

I have always wanted to go watch an U17 game but never had the time this season, I take it they dont mind random people coming up and watching the game do they?

Also out of interest (as presumably you watched the hearts v rangers game, what is the standard of the Rangers u17s? My flatmate is a big rangers fan so went on followfollow at the weekend and they were raving about a few guys in the U19s.

Charlie-Brown

They play most of the games during winter on the astroturf & on the grass pitches earlier & later in the season. Anyone can watch.

Charlie-Brown

Still tiny! :) Only started playing again recently after a long spell out. Played 70+ mins for the U19 & making good recovery. Good skills & huge heart & hunger.

jamboinglasgow
How is Scott Robinson progressing guys?

He has been injured for most of this season, came back last month and played some closed door games, and played U19 game last saturday. From what I heard he has played well since coming back.

loveofthegame
How is Scott Robinson progressing guys?

I heard he's grown a bit, he's now 4 ft 4. With a bit of luck he'll progress from 'Hobbit' to 'stunted human' in no time!

Archived