Portugese youngster?

JAMMY

Laszlo, for instance, is raving about a 17-year-old midfielder he has signed from Portugal, "really a very gifted player".

Anyone know anything about this?No mention of his name etc..

Charlie-Brown

It's not a Portuguese youngster it's 17 year old Lithuanian Arvydas Novikovas who'd been on trial in Portugal at Benfica.

Guest JamboRobbo

Lazlo also said he had a list of 25 players, and that we had a replacement lined up for Berra if he left.......as for the player, he's probably getting confused re nationalities.

Either that or there is a portuguese star at Riccarton who's not bothered to tell anyone he is there.

Lazlo also said he had a list of 25 players, and that we had a replacement lined up for Berra if he left.......as for the player, he's probably getting confused re nationalities.

Either that or there is a portuguese star at Riccarton who's not bothered to tell anyone he is there.

Its probably Marco Pelosi he's talking about :laugh:

Charlie-Brown

2 of the sunday interviews described it as arvydas the other paper abbreviated it to a 17 year old from portugal. That is where confusion arose.

I cant wait, after all the romanian and slovenian superstars really made their mark.

But magic - our youth is the best thing since sliced bread, well unless and until it 1. swans back off from whence it came, 2. you need to defend the arrival of more Kaunas loanees

At this point in the argument you cant ever guarantee the success of youth, and although the youth show promise they are not ready for the first team and this allows for further Kaunas loanees to delay....er I mean, supplement the learning curve of our youthful harlem globetrotters....

I cant wait, after all the romanian and slovenian superstars really made their mark.

He is Lithuanian. Seen him once for U19. Great left foot, a bit of pace, lacking a bit of confidence perhaps. Looks very promising to me. I think he returned home from Benfica because of a bad injury and then came here.

Charlie-Brown

I don't understand why some people try to disparage Hearts youth system when probably the 4 biggest transfer fees we ever received were for gordon, berra, naysmith & mclaren.

We_are_the_Hearts
I don't understand why some people try to disparage Hearts youth system when probably the 4 biggest transfer fees we ever received were for gordon, berra, naysmith & mclaren.

All who were recruited by a proper scouting system who worked closely with and were employed by their manager.

Charlie-Brown

And there is something wrong with the current youth system? Okay it didnt work out for young foreigners copil or rapnik but it did for eggert jonsson & mcgowans involved.

And there is something wrong with the current youth system? Okay it didnt work out for young foreigners copil or rapnik but it did for eggert jonsson & mcgowans involved.

It has not worked for McGowan yet.

In the last 3 years only Jonsson and Driver have come through. Glen has shown that he might make it. And McGowan had a great 15 minutes against Gretna.

We_are_the_Hearts
It has not worked for McGowan yet.

In the last 3 years only Jonsson and Driver have come through. Glen has shown that he might make it. And McGowan had a great 15 minutes against Gretna.

Levein recruited Driver and Robbo recruited Jonsson. The point is still valid, the manager needs a scouting team he trusts and thinks football the same as him. I am not convinced we have that in place.

Charlie-Brown

It is still early for mcgowan, glen, templeton etc but berra, driver, wallace, jonsson, elliot, mole, thomson & macdonald all developed enough to have a lot of 1st team involvement.

Charlie-Brown

Colin Sked might know better who found mclaren & naysmith but john murray is responsible for gordon, berra, driver basically all youth since 1996.

The reality is that a manager of a club should have an input into the youth system but he should not run it -- that should be left to a Youth director of football or however you want to describe it -- he needs to employ scouts ,arrange trials, meet parents re signing talks, -- in all he concentrates purely on the youth squad and his word should be as important at that level.

His success can be measured but only after some time -- a long term view is required and at present we are not doing too badly but could improve in a couple of areas.

Of course resources at that level are also important.

We_are_the_Hearts
The reality is that a manager of a club should have an input into the youth system but he should not run it -- that should be left to a Youth director of football or however you want to describe it -- he needs to employ scouts ,arrange trials, meet parents re signing talks, -- in all he concentrates purely on the youth squad and his word should be as important at that level.

His success can be measured but only after some time -- a long term view is required and at present we are not doing too badly but could improve in a couple of areas.

Of course resources at that level are also important.

But they need to have the same football philosophy. Take Arsenal for example, all their youths have pace and power and are comfy in posession and receiving the ball in tight areas. This is because the Youth director and Scouts know the type of player Wenger likes and the Academy is run with this in mind.

My problem with our Youths are they all tend to be similar with only Driver in recent years with that bit of pace and creativity that stands out, even though his final ball and decision making need worked on.

I hope the Academy goes on to flourish but I have my doubts.

[quote name=

My problem with our Youths are they all tend to be similar with only Driver in recent years with that bit of pace and creativity that stands out' date=' even though his final ball and decision making need worked on.

I hope the Academy goes on to flourish but I have my doubts.[/quote]

Have you seen Arvydas Novikovas? He certainly does not conform to the stereotype you outline above.

Have you seen Arvydas Novikovas? He certainly does not conform to the stereotype you outline above.

Neither do Scott Robinson, Craig Thomson, Conrad Balatoni, Steven Husband or Mikey Delands.

Some people never get bored of the sound of their own voice.

To try and diminish Hearts youth set-up is just reaching though. We've done as well as any team in Scotland in that regard over the past three seasons.

jamboinglasgow
But they need to have the same football philosophy. Take Arsenal for example, all their youths have pace and power and are comfy in posession and receiving the ball in tight areas. This is because the Youth director and Scouts know the type of player Wenger likes and the Academy is run with this in mind.

My problem with our Youths are they all tend to be similar with only Driver in recent years with that bit of pace and creativity that stands out, even though his final ball and decision making need worked on.

I hope the Academy goes on to flourish but I have my doubts.

I agree that the manager and the youth academy director need to have the same view on what to look for in a player but I have read interviews in the last 6 months that say they are in agreement and working together to get the same players.

As others have said there are plenty of creative players in the youth ranks, and from the sounds of things there are more below u19 level. We should hopefully have more skillful players who have developed all parts of their game.

I still hold out alot of hope about the youth academy and I feel that it has the nessecary investment, manager and youth director plus an enthusatic owner who will make it work.

We_are_the_Hearts
Neither do Scott Robinson, Craig Thomson, Conrad Balatoni, Steven Husband or Mikey Delands.

Three of them are defenders, Robinson is on the small side and the Husband lacks pace. We have never had problems bringing through defenders but have never brought through many creative players with an injection of pace. Yourself, Charlie and JIG seem fairly confident in the current system so I really hope yous are proved right. Would be great if we could be the pioneers of the Youth Academy in Scotland as no one has mastered it yet and created a system for players to progress year after year.

Three of them are defenders, Robinson is on the small side and the Husband lacks pace. We have never had problems bringing through defenders but have never brought through many creative players with an injection of pace. Yourself, Charlie and JIG seem fairly confident in the current system so I really hope yous are proved right. Would be great if we could be the pioneers of the Youth Academy in Scotland as no one has mastered it yet and created a system for players to progress year after year.

I would suggest, off the top of my head, David Templeton, Ryan Wallace and Rocky Visconte (once he gets back to full fitness). As I said in another thread, I watch the youngsters a lot and there are some excellent prospects. I get exasperated by some on here (and we know who they are) who continually disparage our academy and youth system without, I suspect, having seen any of the youngsters playing and without any knowledge of the academy setup.

Before anyone comments, I have no involvement with Hearts in any way and I am not involved with the academy. I'm just a Hearts fan who sees a lot of the young players and can see for myself the talent that is there and the work that's being done.

I would suggest to the snipers that you get along to see the youngsters in action and you might change your minds. Yesterday's reserve team for instance was a joy to watch and had only 2 players over the age of 21 (Kello and Mrowiec) and several 18 and 19 year olds.

We_are_the_Hearts
I would suggest, off the top of my head, David Templeton, Ryan Wallace and Rocky Visconte (once he gets back to full fitness). As I said in another thread, I watch the youngsters a lot and there are some excellent prospects. I get exasperated by some on here (and we know who they are) who continually disparage our academy and youth system without, I suspect, having seen any of the youngsters playing and without any knowledge of the academy setup.

Before anyone comments, I have no involvement with Hearts in any way and I am not involved with the academy. I'm just a Hearts fan who sees a lot of the young players and can see for myself the talent that is there and the work that's being done.

I would suggest to the snipers that you get along to see the youngsters in action and you might change your minds. Yesterday's reserve team for instance was a joy to watch and had only 2 players over the age of 21 (Kello and Mrowiec) and several 18 and 19 year olds.

The first 2 you mention need to work on their upper body strength and positional awareness but do have pace and skill.

I am not a sniper but still feel there are things we could be doing better. Certainly on the right road though.

jamboinglasgow
The first 2 you mention need to work on their upper body strength and positional awareness but do have pace and skill.

I am not a sniper but still feel there are things we could be doing better. Certainly on the right road though.

I have to agree with you on the second point. While I do think that the hearts youth academy is the best in scotland, I still think there will be quite a few things Hearts can do to make it even better, you need to be constantly evolving and looking to see what you can do to improve.

I think Csaba coming in will improve alot of things and make the youth system even better. He has fresh ideas and has experence running the youth academy of a top German side.

As you said we are in a posistion where we can pioneer to become masters of the youth system in Scotland. A few seasons ago people would of said hibs were this, they did bring through many hyped players but it was more a good group and the conveyor belt of talent was a myth. Rangers are only just really starting to see that they could use Murray Park to better use but needs to change alot. Celtic are only interested in foregin youngsters. Falkirk I would argue are like us, got a good academy system and a manager keen on developing youngsters. Hibs could do it as well but I feel it will be a long time before they have another time when they have so many youngsters coming through at once.

It should be welcomed that there is a much greater influnce on youth and development in Scotland. It will benefit the national team for so many clubs having academies and systems. Remember Ross County even have a youth acdemy. I think Aberdeen need ones and Dundee united or Dundee or even both sharing need a youth academy. It is a large expense but a youth academy/training facility can bring massive benefits for a club, even a smaller size one.

We_are_the_Hearts
I have to agree with you on the second point. While I do think that the hearts youth academy is the best in scotland, I still think there will be quite a few things Hearts can do to make it even better, you need to be constantly evolving and looking to see what you can do to improve.

I think Csaba coming in will improve alot of things and make the youth system even better. He has fresh ideas and has experence running the youth academy of a top German side.

As you said we are in a posistion where we can pioneer to become masters of the youth system in Scotland. A few seasons ago people would of said hibs were this, they did bring through many hyped players but it was more a good group and the conveyor belt of talent was a myth. Rangers are only just really starting to see that they could use Murray Park to better use but needs to change alot. Celtic are only interested in foregin youngsters. Falkirk I would argue are like us, got a good academy system and a manager keen on developing youngsters. Hibs could do it as well but I feel it will be a long time before they have another time when they have so many youngsters coming through at once.

It should be welcomed that there is a much greater influnce on youth and development in Scotland. It will benefit the national team for so many clubs having academies and systems. Remember Ross County even have a youth acdemy. I think Aberdeen need ones and Dundee united or Dundee or even both sharing need a youth academy. It is a large expense but a youth academy/training facility can bring massive benefits for a club, even a smaller size one.

You are right about Hibs, that was just a bunch. They have employed a manager who has transformed their style so no system can be in place. For the system to work then the style of football has to be consistent for years so that the players are bedded into it from a young age and then when they leave someone else slots in. This is why it is important that the manager of the first team and Youth Academys are on the same wavelngth as those in the scouting system. Csaba's time in Germany could be crucial in this as long as Vlad and co listen and take good ideas on board. From previous interviews Vlad is aware of the importance of a playing style.

Charlie-Brown

The school age teams at the academy play 4-4-2 but the pro age groups play variations of 4-5-1 as obviously they have much more time & capacity to work on tactical learning & development.

jamboinglasgow
You are right about Hibs, that was just a bunch. They have employed a manager who has transformed their style so no system can be in place. For the system to work then the style of football has to be consistent for years so that the players are bedded into it from a young age and then when they leave someone else slots in. This is why it is important that the manager of the first team and Youth Academys are on the same wavelngth as those in the scouting system. Csaba's time in Germany could be crucial in this as long as Vlad and co listen and take good ideas on board. From previous interviews Vlad is aware of the importance of a playing style.

I would agree with you there, and the U19s and the Reserves play the same formation and same style as the first team. By the way they have won and dominated some matches it is working much better for them. I would also imagine as part of this Murray will have instructed his scouts to find players that meet his and Csaba's requirements.

A quote I most remember about youth development was from the Head of the Sporting Lisborn youth system. This system has brought through players like Figo, C. Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma and Joao Moutinho (who I have been surprised hasn't been bought by a top club.) What he said was "it is simple to create the best youth possible, what you need is the best Scouts and the best coaches."

We_are_the_Hearts
I would agree with you there, and the U19s and the Reserves play the same formation and same style as the first team. By the way they have won and dominated some matches it is working much better for them. I would also imagine as part of this Murray will have instructed his scouts to find players that meet his and Csaba's requirements.

A quote I most remember about youth development was from the Head of the Sporting Lisborn youth system. This system has brought through players like Figo, C. Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma and Joao Moutinho (who I have been surprised hasn't been bought by a top club.) What he said was "it is simple to create the best youth possible, what you need is the best Scouts and the best coaches."

Here's hoping then. Style is the key though and not so much formation. As mentioned that can become more flexible as players gain more game and positional awareness.

Archived