Goncalves - Berra replacement?

garethjambo

Remember a couple of seasons back and Goncalves had a stint in center back?- seemed relatively good if I can remember right. Could he be a possible replacement for Berra? The loan spell may have done him good, thoughts?

Remember a couple of seasons back and Goncalves had a stint in center back?- seemed relatively good if I can remember right. Could he be a possible replacement for Berra? The loan spell may have done him good, thoughts?

PLEASE,...........NO !

Chad Sexington

071018_bomb_squad_470.jpg

Who knows what Jose would be like with a proper coach. Wallace was no better than Jose last season and look at him this year...

Jose wouldn?t be back until the summer though, unless Nuernburg let him return early.

To be honest, I would rather have the ?3 million

think a lot of people confuse goncalves playing centre halve with ibby tall partnering berra there.

ftr i thought tall was immense in the middle.

If we put the money we received for Berra in one of those really large Samsonite suitcases and placed it at the edge of the penalty box for 90 minutes, it would a more effective central defender than Goncalves. It would be able to jump higher as well.

(Falls Sie Mitarbeiter des 1.FCN sind und dieses Post lesen, darf ich Ihnen versichern, da? der obige Satz nat?rlich als Witz zu verstehen ist.)

Skivingatwork

I dont even think you'd need the samsonite suitcase, a paper bag blowing in the wind would be more effective.

pettigrewsstylist

you cannot be serious,,i totally cringed for the boy,,,absolutley the worst performance ive ever seen by any proffesional footballer in 40 yrs

pettigrewsstylist
think a lot of people confuse goncalves playing centre halve with ibby tall partnering berra there.

ftr i thought tall was immense in the middle.

totally agree,,i remember his finest hour IMHO being at the cesspit in Lanark on another dreary day

rudi must stay

don't think that's too bad an idea. He was a stand-out when he signed for us. the rest of the squad have improved alot under the new manager, Goncalves would as well IMO. That's if he doesn't sign for Nurnburg though, he might well do.

Cant head the ball, cant tackle.

Having a long throw and being a master at "shepherding" the ball out of play does not mean he'd be a good centre half!

The game where Jose & Tall played as centrebacks (think it was against Aberdeen) was an absolute SHAMBLES!!!

Pro(s) - Can shield the ball for hundreds of yards

Con(s) - Not a footballer.

Take the money.

Would be happy to see Jose back - but not as centre half ! He seems incapable of heading a ball.

I'm sure Csaba could coach him to be a very good defender but the timing, awareness and bravery required to compete for and head a ball correctly cannot be taught IMO.

Ibby was a good player.

Jose is a hero by default after playing in the semi, despite being pole-axed.

I disagree (Ibby was a hero).

In the last 5 years we have only had 3 good centre halves, Pressley, Webster and Berra.

The rest Tall (awful positional sense and timing); Zaliuskas (No concentration levels); Goncalves, (If for arguments sake we call him a CB - Can't head a ball) Karapidis (Not strong enough in the challenge); Jonnson (no good at defensive man marking), all have significant faults in that position.

I am really worried about our centre half pairing now that Berra has left. Personally I believe Berra was improving year on year and not the massive strides in the last 4/5 months as some have suggested. Some even based merely because he shouts more now. (Remember Tam Cowan once joking all you need to be a captain is a left arm for the band)

I hope I'm wrong but I think Berra may just be a bigger miss than any of us could ever have imagined. He was holding the rest together.

The defence that played against Hamilton will continue on until injuries or suspensions force a change, with Balogh back in goals.

BlackhallJambo
Would be happy to see Jose back - but not as centre half ! He seems incapable of heading a ball.

I'm sure Csaba could coach him to be a very good defender but the timing, awareness and bravery required to compete for and head a ball correctly cannot be taught IMO.

Please no. We have agreed a fee of 3 million euros, nearly 3 millionpounds with Nuremburg. That fee has increased by nearly a million due to currrency fluctuations Take the money and run.Then find a club that`s got a an excellent striker and swoop

Carl Spackler

Strong, Portuguese, young, playing in Germany? Tell me I was having a dream (nightmare quite possibly) and Csaba didn't say something like this a wee while back.

Seriously, am I talking p$%h?! I don't know!

Anyway, I always liked Goncalves before I completely changed my mind!

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I think its worth a shot FWIW. Lets be honest Messi would have looked hopeless under some of the imposters Jose had to deal with as a maanger. Not saying he's going to come back and be awesome (he did have certain ahem, defficiances) but he was good enough to play with a lot of good players in the Portugese under 21 team and several players in our squad have improved greatly under Csaba.

The answer to Berra's replacement may be right under our nose. If we try it and it doesnt work, at least we have tried it. That being said I would still like to see McGowan given a shot some time soon.

JOSE CAN'T HEAD THE BALL

Ah, but he can throw the ball 100 yards*

*even when the target recipient is standing only 5 yards away.

kingantti1874

i have to say, when he first signed and replaced fyssas against the dons i thought he was going to be immense, extremely quick, great athlete, great throw and decent on the ball....i dont know what happened to him...though never better than fyssas who was probably the best left back in my lifetime i thought he could have been excellent...

its a real pity...ive also got to say, he looked excellent for portugal u21s...

i would like to see what shabba could do with him but i suspect he will be sold

The game where Jose & Tall played as centrebacks (think it was against Aberdeen) was an absolute SHAMBLES!!!

Correct.

JOSE CAN'T HEAD THE BALL

Correct.

He'll be back, though. Don't think his stock has exactly risen while he has been in Bundesliga 2.

Archived