Ashes to Ashes

The Real Maroonblood

Not a fan of British dramas at all, the Americans do it so much better, but 'Life On Mars' was fantastic so I'm looking forward to this. My fear is that it will turn into The Gene Hunt Show. Then again, that may not be a bad thing. Dunno. One thing I do know is that, in the way that Sam Tyler was haunted by the girl from the test card, Keeley Hawes' character is haunted by the Pierrot from Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes' video. It can only be a let-down, if not, then it's a double bonus.

never got round to seeing life on mars but need to know, did he get back to modern day in the end?

He did, decided it wasn't for him, went back. Apologies to anyone reading this who didn't know! Then again some b#gger gave away the ending of 'I Am Legend' on here the other day. I haven't seen it yet!!! Thanks!

never got round to seeing life on mars but need to know, did he get back to modern day in the end?

Yes, but then I think he decided to go back to non-modern day again. I might be wrong.

He did, decided it wasn't for him, went back. Apologies to anyone reading this who didn't know! Then again some b#gger gave away the ending of 'I Am Legend' on here the other day. I haven't seen it yet!!! Thanks!

cheers, i guessed thats would have happened.

(dont worry about posting spoilers, lost count of the amount of films that have been ruined on here for me!)

Saw the advert by chance tonight

Absolutly amazed it hasnt been better hyped

It wouldnt be hard to miss it with the lack of publicity

Looking forward to it. Life on Mars was one of the few programmes I bent over backwards to catch. Brilliant stuff.

Just hope this doesn't turn out to be a poor sequel.

Although with Gene Hunt, I can't see it....

Skippy Doodle

im a tad wary due to the fact that we know for definate from the off that the copper is a time traveller so some of the suspense wont be there fi life on mars.

im a tad wary due to the fact that we know for definate from the off that the copper is a time traveller so some of the suspense wont be there fi life on mars.

Eh?

How do we know that

Since the last one basically concluded it was all a dream/fantasy :rolleyes:

I P Knightley

Since the last one basically concluded it was all a dream/fantasy :rolleyes:

But did it?

Did he die? Did he go back in time? Did he wake up from a trippy dream? It wasn't definite.

Life on Mars was the best telly I've seen in the last 5 years. Tonight will probably not match up to the high standards I've built in my mind but should knock spots off anything else currently on the box.

But did it?

Did he die? Did he go back in time? Did he wake up from a trippy dream? It wasn't definite.

Life on Mars was the best telly I've seen in the last 5 years. Tonight will probably not match up to the high standards I've built in my mind but should knock spots off anything else currently on the box.

The way I saw it was that it was all a dream whilst he was in the coma and when he realised he like it better he "killed" himself to go back

As for the new one, what utter dog poop

Completely over done and absolutly ruined the whole premise, I have found it pretty cringeworthy and unwatchable tbh

The woman cop is awful too and the 3 old ones have had the likable bits of the character competely ruined

ToadKiller Dog

I think its to do more with the idea of differing dimensions based on choices made rather than dreams or time travel.

I dont think the new series has started as bad as prancer thinks ,Keeley hawes played the role ok so far as an arrogant high achiever,modern woman stereotype,john sims boots are hard to fill.

It paid homage to the over blown/flashy tv show style of early 80s .The link with the A team all the shooting and no one being hit etc

It does have a hard job to live up to life on mars ,i will give it time.

I did not see the need to move it to london.

I was 6year old in 81 so will likely be pulled along a bit more by the cultural links than maybe a younger person.

I P Knightley

I thought it was pretty good. Yes, there was a lot of pastiche (Let's fire up the Quattro!) but it wasn't ever going to be the pinnacle of crime drama.

The fact that Alex knows all about Sam Tyler makes an interesting twist.

I'll definitely be setting the recorder for next week.

Life on Mars was always going to be a touch one to follow, and Ashes to Ashes needs time.

I think it was deliberately OTT - in the same way that most "action" telly shows of the time were. Gene Hunt branding a machine gun arriving in the nick of time on a speedboat. Very A-Team-esque!

One show in and we know Keeley Hawes character was shot in 'modern times' by a guy she nicked in 1981. Big gap to fill. Also knows all about Sam Tyler.

Keeping an open mind. I wasn't blown away by the first episode of Life on Mars, but it gradually drew me in as it became more subtle yet absurd at the same time. Hoping this is the same.

Not for me, I thought the first and second series' were original and amusing also thought provoking and utterly and completely enjoyable, but I really thought this was pretty poor fare tonight, however I'll give it a second chance next week.

Carl Fredrickson

Some good one liners....

"Its like Tomorrows World"

"If that skirt was any shorter, I could see what you had for breakfast"

"You take all the hoity toity poofters"

"The A-Team are cut off - even I cant walk on water"

Me and my sons watched and thought it was well good but then has prancer veen predestined to be negative about everything or was it his "life experience" I am sure there is a film in there somewhere anyone don ameche's phone number?

Imieesed it despite this thread.

I went out, Imissed it. I'm soo disapootinted in myself.

Bugger.

Catch it on BBC i Player.

Thoroughly enjoyed it last night and the sound track was pretty good too!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaah Vienna!!!!

Darth Sidious

Sam Tyler not dead......anyone?

How many times did you spot the David Bowie clown, in reflections (Interview table), hidden in the background (the warehouse, his head on a shelf).

The Mighty Thor

I thought it was pretty good Thursday night telly.

Big skeleton of a plot laid out in week 1 and some really big holes to fill but i reckonj it will grow.

the soundtrack was awesome. Roxy Music - Same old Scene to finish with. how good?

Say What Again

It had the added bonus of Keeley Hawes spending the first half of the programme in stockings.

That's good enough TV for me.

I P Knightley
Some good one liners....

"Its like Tomorrows World"

"If that skirt was any shorter, I could see what you had for breakfast"

"You take all the hoity toity poofters"

"The A-Team are cut off - even I cant walk on water"

diary entry: "I took a prozzie hostage and got shot by 3 bassstahds"

(but then, I love pantomime as well!)

Were the A-Team on the telly in '81? I thought so but thought it odd that the script didn't make specific reference to the telly show, just left "Gene Hunt" looking a bit of an overgrown schoolboy.

Here's pedantic for you: Despite getting the set, the costumes and the props all looking great; after 'firing up the Quattro', they were hammering through an underpass which was clearly marked out with a cycle lane which wouldn't have been introduced until the late '80s at earliest.

Say What Again
Here's pedantic for you: Despite getting the set, the costumes and the props all looking great; after 'firing up the Quattro', they were hammering through an underpass which was clearly marked out with a cycle lane which wouldn't have been introduced until the late '80s at earliest.

Have you written to the Beeb? ;)

I P Knightley
Have you written to the Beeb? ;)

Do they still do Points of View?

"Dear Points of View,

Whatever happened to standards at the BBC?

I'm considering cancelling my TV license as a result of a frightful lapse in the recently aired edition of...."

It had the added bonus of Keeley Hawes spending the first half of the programme in stockings.

That's good enough TV for me.

Certainly. I think I love her.

Say What Again
Certainly. I think I love her.

Whilst watching last night the missus commented on how D.I. Drake had 'great boobs'.

I had to pretend (probably very unconvincingly!) I hadn't noticed. :cool:

Cesnauskis+10

It was kind of scary when he's in the back of the car. Also her daugher is a blithering idiot. I thought it was very good myself...

Cesnauskis+10
Yes, but then I think he decided to go back to non-modern day again. I might be wrong.

Didn't he jump off a building to get back? From what we heard from Ashes to Ashes was that he died.

Life on Mars paid homage to the Sweeney.

Ashes to Ashes is paying homage to both the Professionals and Dempsey and Makepeace.

The jokes are there and very subtle and funny they are too.

John

Life on Mars paid homage to the Sweeney.

Ashes to Ashes is paying homage to both the Professionals and Dempsey and Makepeace.

The jokes are there and very subtle and funny they are too.

John

Hit the nail on the head for me John. I couldn't stop laughing. Roll on next week's episode.

Archived