Tony Adams

peckhamjambo

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is an absolute imposter of a football manager?

I have family/friends connected to both Wycombe and Pompey, hence I keep an eye out for goings on at these clubs, and have to say that this guy is NEVER going to be a good manager. I know former colleagues of his such as Lee Dixon have stated he will one day become a great coach, but based on what? Just because he was a great centre half?

Looking at the results with Wycombe, he had 53 games and won only 22% of them, and was single handedly (or so I am reliably told) responsible of them going down that season, and this enabled him to qualify for the Portsmouth job?! Hardly a glowing CV to be fair, regardless of how good or not he performed as assistant to Harry. His current record with Pompey is, according to the ever reliable Wikipedia:

Played - 19

Won - 3 (15%)

Lost - 8

Drawn - 8

Adams, you can't cut it at that level, or even in League 2, bow out gracefully and look for something else to do pal.

In addition, think all the years of gambling and charlie have had a huge effect. Am I the only one who looks at him and thinks he is just that little bit weird?!

He's the EPL Mixu Paataleinen.

The guy has not got a scoob, the players apparently hate him, he sounds thick, and his own board contradict him.

Not a chance he will see out the season, probably not even February.

tommythejambo

In all fairness he if someone was paying me enough to manage an EPL club I'd do it, regardless of how gash I was.

Theres also a major difference between being a good coach and a good manager, it sounds like Adams is a good coach who has been unfairly thrown in at the deepend.

I'm startin to feel a bit sorry for him but am also a bit concerned that he's gonna explode and go on some kind of mental rampage. With the pishy results and apparent apathy from the team such calmness aint natural. He's storing it up, which is never good. Mark my words.

Good player tho. Even if he did play for the Arse.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
He's the EPL Mixu Paataleinen.

The guy has not got a scoob, the players apparently hate him, he sounds thick, and his own board contradict him.

Not a chance he will see out the season, probably not even February.

Word in the south is that he wont see out the rest of today.

He is a buffoon of the highest order.

Pompey are pesh as well.

In all fairness he if someone was paying me enough to manage an EPL club I'd do it, regardless of how gash I was.

Theres also a major difference between being a good coach and a good manager, it sounds like Adams is a good coach who has been unfairly thrown in at the deepend.

Substitute Frail for Adams in the above. Spooky innit?

Substitute Frail for Adams in the above. Spooky innit?

Haha, agreed!

Thing is though, if I remember rightly, didn't Wenger also state that Adams was going to be a top manager one day? Now I respect Wenger as much as the next guy but what does he see that 99% of the other football watching public can't?

he was a good player and i think redknapp, jordan and adams were a good coaching team but adams on his own cant cope with a big team like portsmouth. portsmouth need to get a good manager in, and keep adams as a coach maybe but he isnt taking them anywhere and a new boss is needed.

Does anyone else think that when he's wearing a suit it looks like he's heading to court as a defendant. It feels like an attempt to appear profesional, like that will some how make him a better manager.

I watch match of the day every week and have seen Adams giving interviews for a wee while now.

I have to say there is something deeply unlikeable about the man.

The only comparison I can make is Graham Rix *spit* in his time at Hearts.

He comes across as a dead man walking will be gone by the end of the month.

Grumpy.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I must be in the minority but I quite like Adams!

Very honest comments usually but he's definitely out of his depth.

I think he's still drunk.

and unlike Burley it hampers his performance rather than improving it!

Would be a good replacement for berra though no?

we could do worse!

Did Caprice really go out with him? What was that all about?

Sport fuc*ing? :laugh:

Does anyone else think that when he's wearing a suit it looks like he's heading to court as a defendant. It feels like an attempt to appear profesional, like that will some how make him a better manager.

The 'act professional, be professional' mantra! Horrendous tie he had on during the post match yesterday

?I don?t actually like people. I?m a loner and if I had my way I?d just walk my dogs every day, never talk to anyone and then die."

Quote from big Tone. Not really managerial material me thinks.

?I don?t actually like people. I?m a loner and if I had my way I?d just walk my dogs every day, never talk to anyone and then die."

Quote from big Tone. Not really managerial material me thinks.

I am going to stick my neck out and say he will get punted this week and will end up in the out of work managers wasteland for a good time to come

Some players are "destined to be good managers". Adams was spoken about as a future manager whilst he was still playing and this praise seems to continue despite failures.

I reckon he will end up being a number two (some people are better as a number two, Brian Kidd, Peter Houston and Billy Brown spring to mind) somewhere and being successful at it.

He may get another shot at management due to his friends in football, but I don't think he will make it.

Charlie-Brown

People always just assume that great captains like willie miller, richard gough, tony adams, stephen pressley etc will be great managers.

Any time I hear Adams I fail to understand how anyone could be motivated by him.

He is only a caretaker manager until the owner sells up. Adams was the cheap option!!

wheatfield to sheffield

I remember seeing him play at Hampden in 1989, and one of the advertising hoardings was for "ADAM SCRAP". I so wished a photographer could have caught a photo with him inbetween the S and the C.

Plently know-it-alls on this thread eh :D I'm sure none of us have ever made a mistake at work! He successfully captained Arsenal to many honours so i suspect he must know a thing or two more than us about organisation and leadership, thats in the real football world like, not football manager and Fifa :mw_rolleyes:

Plently know-it-alls on this thread eh :D I'm sure none of us have ever made a mistake at work! He successfully captained Arsenal to many honours so i suspect he must know a thing or two more than us about organisation and leadership, thats in the real football world like, not football manager and Fifa :mw_rolleyes:

With regards point 1, if I continued to make errors at work, I would be sacked.

As for point 2, his football credentials have nothing to do with whether he will make it as a manager or not, the proof of this is clearly in the pudding.

As for point 3, you are right, I am sure he is better and more knowledgable than me with regards to football management - and your point is?

Are you arguing that he is a good manager, or just disagreeing for the sake of it? :laugh:

I P Knightley

Not so much know-it-alls as observers with opinions.

Not every great player/captain (I think most on here agreed that Tony Adams falls in to both categories) makes a good transition to managership.

Adams hasn't made a good impression as a manager and, in interviews he comes across as a gormless fruit loop space cadet. In many people's opinions.

I'd bet that most of us have made mistakes at work. There are also some who are/were, no doubt, not cut out for a job they found themselves in. It's different. Adams isn't so much making mistakes as failing to convince people that he's in any way suited to doing the job in the first place.

Tony Adams is David Beckham's father-in-law.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Haha, agreed!

Thing is though, if I remember rightly, didn't Wenger also state that Adams was going to be a top manager one day? Now I respect Wenger as much as the next guy but what does he see that 99% of the other football watching public can't?

Probably the same things the other 99% of people miss and thus cant get a job as a football manager. He can only work with what he has, give him some time and money then judge him.

When I hear him being interviewed he sends me to sleep.

A team talk from him must be the equivalent of a cup of Horlicks.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I cant believe he got the Pompey job really. Do not follow Wycombe's results but I do remember he did not do well there. Sometimes ex players are better at staying coaches rather than taking the full managers position. I think Pompey were a bit quick in appointing him and didnt really look around to see if they could get a better man for the job.

Jeez, thought I would bump this thread again since did anyone see this joker on Sky Sports News a moment ago? What a bumbling, mumbling fool this man is - how can he expect his team to play for him when he is just so damn weird and incoherent??!! It's painful since he was such a great footballer

Adams is not waving, but drowning. He only got the job because he was a cheap option for a club who've run out of money and whose glory days are suddenly behind them. And while I'll always admire the way he believes in being so open about himself as part of his recovery from alcoholism, the trouble is, you just can't be so consumed with self-doubt and hope to succeed in management.

Tony is always trying to prove and justify himself it seems to me - probably because he feels guilt about his past mistakes. But one man's bravery is another's psychobabble: his approach just won't work.

Adams is not waving, but drowning. He only got the job because he was a cheap option for a club who've run out of money and whose glory days are suddenly behind them. And while I'll always admire the way he believes in being so open about himself as part of his recovery from alcoholism, the trouble is, you just can't be so consumed with self-doubt and hope to succeed in management.

Tony is always trying to prove and justify himself it seems to me - probably because he feels guilt about his past mistakes. But one man's bravery is another's psychobabble: his approach just won't work.

Or perhaps he's just a crap manager. It amazes me how football clubs can still believe that just because someone was a great player (and Adams was one) that he should automagically make a great manager. Ok, so an ex-player has something important to bring to the table, because he's been at the sharp end, but following instructions and being able to give them based on an ability to see the entire picture are two different things altogether.

Probably the same things the other 99% of people miss and thus cant get a job as a football manager. He can only work with what he has, give him some time and money then judge him.

Or Wenger could be being very diplomatic about a former captain and Arsenal legend? You know, and I know, that this is more likely. He tried at Wycombe, and failed. They were League 2. Surely given his vast knowledge, working under one of the great modern managers (Wenger), and playing at the highest level, he would be able to make some impact at that level? No, he took them down!

No amount of money and time will help you be successful if you are unable to interact with your staff, you are aloof, and are just a little bit strange! Check this quote from Steve Hayes, owner of Wycombe:

"Adams, who is considering a move for the Tottenham forward Giovani dos *Santos, has cited the financial difficulties of taking over a club that needed its annual budget slashed in half and tells a story about buying chairs for the players. "He's not quite telling the whole truth," Hayes claims. "He bought old sofas because he wanted the guys to sit on them. It wasn't like he asked for something and it was turned down. That was something he wanted to do so he did."

:laugh:

Bang on IMO

Or perhaps he's just a crap manager. It amazes me how football clubs can still believe that just because someone was a great player (and Adams was one) that he should automagically make a great manager. Ok, so an ex-player has something important to bring to the table, because he's been at the sharp end, but following instructions and being able to give them based on an ability to see the entire picture are two different things altogether.

Oh, I agree. I was deeply perplexed when he got the Pompey job in the first place. How many other industries hand the top job to someone with no prior experience (or in Adams' case, no prior achievement in the job) and expect them to succeed? It's bonkers. And plenty of footballers seemed like either natural leaders or tactically very knowledgeable, but bombed horribly in management: David Platt, John Barnes or arguably Stuart Pearce springing to mind.

The enormous majority of footballers don't make it to the top. The enormous majority of managers don't make it to the top either. So it surely stands to reason that only a very small fraction of very successful footballers become similarly successful managers.

Oh, I agree. I was deeply perplexed when he got the Pompey job in the first place. How many other industries hand the top job to someone with no prior experience (or in Adams' case, no prior achievement in the job) and expect them to succeed? It's bonkers. And plenty of footballers seemed like either natural leaders or tactically very knowledgeable, but bombed horribly in management: David Platt, John Barnes or arguably Stuart Pearce springing to mind.

The enormous majority of footballers don't make it to the top. The enormous majority of managers don't make it to the top either. So it surely stands to reason that only a very small fraction of very successful footballers become similarly successful managers.

Yup, there is so much to learn in order to be a good manager (if you have it in you in the first place) and you can only learn a small part of that as a player. You have to spend a few years (except in the very few cases where someone is a complete natural) as an assistant manager, learning all the ropes. Only then, and if you can demonstrate that you've sussed it, can you branch out as the main man. In my opinion of course.

Charlie-Brown

Why do people just assume and expect that Inspirational players like Tony Adams or Willie Miller or Richard Gough or Stuart Pearce etc will automatically become good managers - playing and managing are two entirely separate jobs - as captain you are team leader but still on the same side as the players - as manager you are their boss and no longer their friend necessarily......many people have these assumptions about Stephen Pressley being a natural future manager.....but as Shaun says it's never guaranteed to work out.

they should try out Tony and that other foney McLeish as the managerial dream team to break the cup hoodoo for the cabbage

Met Tony Adams a few years back, he was up for a show at festival, was a nice guy. His autobiography is a must read.

I like Tony Adams...Sheet Manager though, But Pompey are a Sheet Club!!

He looks like Jimmy Nail after a night on the Pash!!

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is an absolute imposter of a football manager?

I have family/friends connected to both Wycombe and Pompey, hence I keep an eye out for goings on at these clubs, and have to say that this guy is NEVER going to be a good manager. I know former colleagues of his such as Lee Dixon have stated he will one day become a great coach, but based on what? Just because he was a great centre half?

Looking at the results with Wycombe, he had 53 games and won only 22% of them, and was single handedly (or so I am reliably told) responsible of them going down that season, and this enabled him to qualify for the Portsmouth job?! Hardly a glowing CV to be fair, regardless of how good or not he performed as assistant to Harry. His current record with Pompey is, according to the ever reliable Wikipedia:

Played - 19

Won - 3 (15%)

Lost - 8

Drawn - 8

Adams, you can't cut it at that level, or even in League 2, bow out gracefully and look for something else to do pal.

In addition, think all the years of gambling and charlie have had a huge effect. Am I the only one who looks at him and thinks he is just that little bit weird?!

That was Merson mate.

It was just alcoholism with Adams. Feel sorry for him but he'll never cut it as a football manager IMO.

That was Merson mate.

It was just alcoholism with Adams. Feel sorry for him but he'll never cut it as a football manager IMO.

You are absolutely right mate. Didn't him and Merse go out together a lot? Bet he had a couple of cheeky lines?!! :eek:

Archived