Weighing it up

Robbo27_22

Berra out - ?2.5mill or so in.

Defence weakened slightly, loss of captain who rarely looked like a captain.

Possibility of bringing in much needed striker and poss another defender in i.e. Barr.

IMO better off for rest of the season and a good chance of securing Euro spot.

Defence weakened significantly.

Loss of ever more influential captain

Striker - I hope so

Barr - will cost a fait bit, way out of form, played right midfield last week rather than defence. Very dodgy buy imo.

Better off - financially yes, teamwise no chance.

Berra out - ?2.5mill or so in.

Defence weakened slightly, loss of captain who rarely looked like a captain.

Possibility of bringing in much needed striker and poss another defender in i.e. Barr.

IMO better off for rest of the season and a good chance of securing Euro spot.

If it was January 2008, I would have agreed with that, but this season Berra has been a rock at the back and has really grown into the captains role and to say we will be better of without him is frankly laughable.

It all depends on whether johnsson/new defender does well. If a new boy comes in and guides us to 3rd place I doubt we'll be that upset about losing Berra.

There is no doubt that he has improved greatly as a captain this season.

If it was January 2008, I would have agreed with that, but this season Berra has been a rock at the back and has really grown into the captains role and to say we will be better of without him is frankly laughable.

Where did I say we'd be better off without him?

The defence has looked strong in whatever combo we've went with. Yes, Berra has become a lot better this year under Csaba's guidance rather than the shambolic set up of the last two years. And yes, he's matured greatly. However, I don't think he measures up as a captain.

We need money in, he's one of our more sellable assets, his transfer may release funds to strengthen where we need it. Overall, slightly better of is my opinion.

The defence has looked strong in whatever combo we've went with. Yes, Berra has become a lot better this year under Csaba's guidance rather than the shambolic set up of the last two years. And yes, he's matured greatly. However, I don't think he measures up as a captain.

We need money in, he's one of our more sellable assets, his transfer may release funds to strengthen where we need it. Overall, slightly better of is my opinion.

This bit -

IMO better off for rest of the season

"IMO better off for rest of the season and a good chance of securing Euro spot."

Sorry I must have misinterpreted the above comment. :mw_rolleyes:

"IMO better off for rest of the season and a good chance of securing Euro spot."

Sorry I must have misinterpreted the above comment. :mw_rolleyes:

Better off without would mean he's gone, the teams automatically better off.

I said in the title, weigh the matter up. That's why I gave a summary as I saw it.

We need a striker or two - we aren't getting one in without selling Berra (and may still not get one!). If you weigh losing Berra against getting a striker in who can get us much needed goals then I think we will be better off.

Berra is doing a great job and has been a good servant but if (big one I know) his departure means we can get the ingrediant we really need (I think the defence will only be slightly weakened by his departure) then it's got to be good for us.

Of course, if he goes and we don't get a striker in then it's a bad situ.

Hope that is clearer.

For me, Berra has used his pace to tidy up behind the rest of our defense on a regular basis, and I think we'll miss that.

Zal has certainly cut down on the bombscares, but for me he still needs looking after a bit, not sure he is ready to be left in charge....

Having said that, Kari protects the heart of our defense as is, so hopefully we'll be ok.

Archived