IMA MAROON

Should we live within our means  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we live within our means

• Yes. That is the way forward
    • No, we should get help from UBIG

Hearts need money.

Do we? How much?

We can live within our means or ask UBIG for help. Which would you prefer?

Live within our means.

So, where to next for this thread IMA?

Guest JamboRobbo

I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as the Yes/No poll which the OP would like it to be.

For me, we should invest money where it gets us value (holding guys like Berra and Driver who don't cost too much, and can be sold for more later) , and cut costs where it hurts least (luxuries like Larry, or diddies like the Kaunus loanees).

Sterling Archer

a combination of both? we need to stop wasting money on players that are

1. guff

2. injured all the time

3. both

if we do that then that should help keep us within what we can afford, and then we can ask ubig for help in signing proven players or investing in youth development then i think that would be no bad thing.

thoughts

Haddington Jambo

No brainer, live within our means. That does not mean that ubig or ukio or anyone else for that matter cannot invest in our future. I cant think of any investor willing to put money in without seeing a return. Whether that means we pay them back next year or in ten years, who knows, but any investment now will surely need paid back. This i believe would add to living within our means.

Haddington Jambo
a combination of both? we need to stop wasting money on players that are

1. guff

2. injured all the time

3. both

if we do that then that should help keep us within what we can afford, and then we can ask ubig for help in signing proven players or investing in youth development then i think that would be no bad thing.

thoughts

I agree with most of what you say, however, its difficult to tell if a player will get injured, easy to tell if he is injured, (surely medical would show that up), as for being guff......well we've had a few individuals who can fit into that category :D and a few who can turn it on some days and others ......guff. But then look at any premier league team and pick their best player and tell me if they perform to there best every week? McGeady, B Ferguson, Fletcher, Driver.

I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as the Yes/No poll which the OP would like it to be.

For me, we should invest money where it gets us value (holding guys like Berra and Driver who don't cost too much, and can be sold for more later) , and cut costs where it hurts least (luxuries like Larry, or diddies like the Kaunus loanees).

That didn't take long, it is the Liths' fault again.

eh, live within our means. if the books have to be balanced by selling a player then so be it. if they decide not to sell on the cheap then of course it's right to expect further investment from UBIG until such time as the money can be returned.

hearts are a subsidiary of UBIG and therefore being underwritten by the parent group doesn't necessarily mean that we are living outwith our means. only if we were being given money which we didn't have to repay could that be classed as living outwith our means.

Guest JamboRobbo
That didn't take long, it is the Liths' fault again.

that didn't take long. I never mentioned nationality, but the race card is played once again. Congrats.

that didn't take long. I never mentioned nationality, but the race card is played once again. Congrats.

OK, if we are expaning it to not Lith Kaunas palyers as wekk, we would not have had Bruno, Zal (who is playing well at the moment in the main), Velicka, our best scorer recently, Janny (who I did think was overrated - others disagree).

My point is, crap players or not exclusive to Lithuania or Kaunas, there players from many clubs and of many nationalities that we have signed in the past, both pre and post Romanov that have been a waste of money.

For the record though, the actual point you made, other than the Kaunas dig, I actually agree with.

If UBIG have got spare money to chuck at hearts then obviously hearts should be ready to take it.

That however is a big 'if' in the current climate and it would be best not to be overly reliant onthe continued availability of outside funding or at least to have a plan B.

Of course we should live within our means. Most of us have known this for a long time - it's just a pity UBIG is realising it only now.

Having contributed so much towards getting us into the current mess, it seems only fair that they now help us get out of it.

It's a spend to save issue in some places. It's a catch 22, to make money the main stand needs done. If money is to be made he football team needs to be successful.

Question - How much would it cost to get a team to win the league. How much would Hearts make out of winning the league?

Live within our means but only over an agreed timeframe ( I would suggest a 5 year plan ) not on a year to year bais.

Haddington Jambo
It's a spend to save issue in some places. It's a catch 22, to make money the main stand needs done. If money is to be made he football team needs to be successful.

Question - How much would it cost to get a team to win the league. How much would Hearts make out of winning the league?

I think I understand your point. first things first. At the moment, having new stand would not make one bit of difference to our earnings. earnings potential yes. In order to make money from a new stand, the team needs to be succesful, arguably they are doing not too bad on that front sitting in fourth place but only selling 13k seats per home game, (roughly). So, I think, we need to see a bit of excitement in the team, the way they play or maybe a player or two banging in goals instead of us all wondering whats going wrong on nights like Motherwell. Csaba is doing a great job with the personnel he has, no question about that. If he could get a decent striker or two, play a more attack minded game, (4-4-2 maybe), then i can see the crowds growing again and the new stand generating some added income.

I dont want much eh?? :D :D :D

No we should go around paying over the odds on transfers, massive wages and go bust within 2 years!

Of course we should live within our means ya pleb.

loveofthegame
No we should go around paying over the odds on transfers, massive wages and go bust within 2 years!

Of course we should live within our means ya pleb.

Beat me too it! The question is ridiculous and deserves the mature, sensible answer of DUH!

Aren't we already living within our means? We are not spending ridiculous sums on players, no-one is getting Willie Wonka style contracts and the youth academy players are slowly being introduced to the first team.

Coupled with the fact there has been no fire-sale (yet!) it seems we do not desperately need cash as much as some in the media would have us believe.

Archived