TV unit (possibly requiring joiner)

bighusref

I am not sure if I can explain this properly, so bear with me! :)

I have an LCD tv in the bedroom and it sits on the chest of drawers. The stand for the tv covers most of the top of the chest of drawers. I would like to put my DVD recorder through there but space is an issue.

I have looked for some sort of plinth or stand thing that would simply raise it off the chest of drawers, allowing the DVD to be under the tv, but cannot find anything suitable for my tv (all I have found seem to be for smaller tv's)

Anybody know of something I could buy to do this? If not, any of you a joiner and fancy a wee "homer"?

Before anybody says, I don't want to wall mount the tv.

Thanks in advance folks :)

[prepares myself for the homosexual references after using the term "homer"]

I am not sure if I can explain this properly, so bear with me! :)

I have an LCD tv in the bedroom and it sits on the chest of drawers. The stand for the tv covers most of the top of the chest of drawers. I would like to put my DVD recorder through there but space is an issue.

I have looked for some sort of plinth or stand thing that would simply raise it off the chest of drawers, allowing the DVD to be under the tv, but cannot find anything suitable for my tv (all I have found seem to be for smaller tv's)

Anybody know of something I could buy to do this? If not, any of you a joiner and fancy a wee "homer"?

Before anybody says, I don't want to wall mount the tv.

Thanks in advance folks :)

[prepares myself for the homosexual references after using the term "homer"]

Haha homer.:P Gay.

Do you want something which sits under the tv unit, but raised off the chest of drawers?

Haha homer.:P Gay.

Do you want something which sits under the tv unit, but raised off the chest of drawers?

Yes, I have a tv with an oval stand. I want something inbetween the chest of drawers and the bottom of the tv stand, to allow a gap for the DVD.

If I was looking to get something made, it would be relatively simple for a joiner, two bits of wood the same size and shape as the top of the chest of drawers and two "sides", making a boxey kind of thing.

So you want it going the length of the chest of drawers, for the tv unit to sit on.

Almost a table type thing?

59638_PE165526_S3.jpg

See this picture, I need something like that, but the shape of my chest of drawers and without the legs.

Obviously, not painted or anything, just plain.

59638_PE165526_S3.jpg

See this picture, I need something like that, but the shape of my chest of drawers and without the legs.

Obviously, not painted or anything, just plain.

Gotcha.

Shouldnt be too hard depending on what meterial and finish you are wanting.

I'm not a joiner btw, just to make that clear.:o

Gotcha.

Shouldnt be too hard depending on what meterial and finish you are wanting.

I'm not a joiner btw, just to make that clear.:o

Just plain old wood would do, no flashy finish required, just something plain again.

So, you asked me all these questions even though you cannot help me?

Cheers mate. :(

Just plain old wood would do, no flashy finish required, just something plain again.

So, you asked me all these questions even though you cannot help me?

Cheers mate. :(

I could design it nice looking, but to give it a decent enough build then in all honesty I'm probably not the man for the job.

I was just getting a good decription of what exactly it was, which will help anyone else.

Incidentally, whats the dimensions of the chest of drawers etc. IKEA do basic box units like that.

I could design it nice looking, but to give it a decent enough build then in all honesty I'm probably not the man for the job.

I was just getting a good decription of what exactly it was, which will help anyone else.

Incidentally, whats the dimensions of the chest of drawers etc. IKEA do basic box units like that.

;) I know man, I was just joking with you.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60093058

That is the exact chest of drawers. The top is 27.5 wide and 15.5 inches deep.

Ever thought of going to B+Q?!

DIY. Doesn't look that difficult to build!

Yes and no. It doesn't look that hard and it probably wouldn't for many folk, however I am really useless at these sort of things.:o

Yes and no. It doesn't look that hard and it probably wouldn't for many folk, however I am really useless at these sort of things.:o

MDF, drill, 8 dowels and some PVA glue...

;)

Scored four against the hibees!!! ;)

I dunno, I may try!!!

:laugh:

You cant go wrong with it. Theres no grain so you dont have to worry about how you cut it. It sands easily, and you could paint it easily too.

Very easy to work with.

Carl Spackler

You cant go wrong with it. Theres no grain so you dont have to worry about how you cut it. It sands easily, and you could paint it easily too.

Very easy to work with.

Don't breath the dust in though. Nasty stuff.

Get the joiner who did Dexters kitchen,once the job is done then simply dont pay him!!

Would that be your good self?;)

As for payment, it would depend on how much you wanted (or how many cans) as to whether I would pay or not. That big shiny shop of yours must do okay. :)

Don't breath the dust in though. Nasty stuff.

aye, and it smells like rotten eggs when you cut it. great to work with though.

incidently, i'm rotten at diy but made a magic wee table with mdf for my craft and design project in 4th year. 15 years on its still going strong, although its been modified to fit in with my furniture

Would that be your good self?;)

As for payment, it would depend on how much you wanted (or how many cans) as to whether I would pay or not. That big shiny shop of yours must do okay. :)

You would need to get the same colour material (is it beech or light oak?)

or it would look a bit shabby if different.

Why not stick the DVD in the top drawer wi the wifes panties!

Depending on how high the DVD player is couldn't you just rest the TV on 3/4/5 books at either end? Job done. sorted.

dryJTlaw,

It is beech and it is "my" chest of drawers, top drawer has my scarf, belts, cufflinks etc, missus' knicker drawer is not there! :laugh:

Stuart,

725233.jpg

That is the tv, the stand is oval and wouldn't stand very safely on books.

Cigaro,

it is a 32" tv and would probably go through my DVD.

dryJTlaw,

It is beech and it is "my" chest of drawers, top drawer has my scarf, belts, cufflinks etc, missus' knicker drawer is not there! :laugh:

Stuart,

725233.jpg

That is the tv, the stand is oval and wouldn't stand very safely on books.

Cigaro,

it is a 32" tv and would probably go through my DVD.

Ok, mine is only a 20" TV.

Do you have any old drawers lying around?

Ok, mine is only a 20" TV.

Do you have any old drawers lying around?

What is it with you and Stouty asking about the missus' undercarriages?!?!?!

:rofl:

Nah mate, nothing like that. I'll have a look and see if I think I can do it myself, if not I shall call a local joiner and see what they say. You know the dudes, "no job too small.."

It will be fairly easy I think.

As I said:

2x 27.5"x15.5" MDF

2x 4"x15.5" MDF

8x dowels (maybe 5/6mm)

Hand drill

PVA glue

Sand paper

What is it with you and Stouty asking about the missus' undercarriages?!?!?!

:rofl:

Nah mate, nothing like that. I'll have a look and see if I think I can do it myself, if not I shall call a local joiner and see what they say. You know the dudes, "no job too small.."

Al a would find the missus knicker drawer if a did the job but ma passport doesnt include newhaven!

portobellojambo1

That is why you have a Missus. Buy her a feckin saw, some wood and a bag of nails, tell what you want, go to the pub and tell her you want it finished by the time you get home.

i made a unit to sit on top of my daughter chest of drawers as the top was buckling with the weight of her tv, video, and dvd. Bought beach furniture board from wickes and made it out of that . Top, bottom and sides and a piece for the middle just like the pic above, did try dowels and glue first but ended up using screws as it was a lot more sturdier. Filled the screw holes with wood filler , job done .

Archived