Reasons for a winter break?

3inaBednar

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/23/scottish-football-summer-winter-break

Jambo Ewan Murray in the Guradian, think this is spot on and about time we had a month off after the January 1st fixtures. Would let pitches and players rest and give our wallets a rest for a month which would maybe see away supports bigger in February, especially the first couple of games back.

good article Ewan.

and the season then runs on well into May, possibly June and the fans tail off as summer holidays start or people start saving.

As for the break, any professional footballer shouldnt need it.

I can see reason for lower leagues to have breaks as the pitches cant cope but for me there is no need for the SPL or any other top league to have one.

I would also add the breaks in the past were not as great as people claim they would be.

Season wouldn't run on to May if we had a sixteen team league with each team playing twice rather than the nonsense of 4 games against each other if there wasn't the stupid split. 32 game season would end in april, nae probs, thus allowing a winter break The winter break isn't about the players getting a rest, it's about the pitches, the standard of football in winter conditions and giving fans wallets a rest after xmas.

After his scaremongering about fire sales and take overs ect back in December I wouldn't read anything he writes or the rag of a paper he writes for. Good Jambo my arse.:mad:

After his scaremongering about fire sales and take overs ect back in December I wouldn't read anything he writes or the rag of a paper he writes for. Good Jambo my arse.:mad:

Ewan is a very good Hearts man, FACT!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/23/scottish-football-summer-winter-break

Jambo Ewan Murray in the Guradian, think this is spot on and about time we had a month off after the January 1st fixtures. Would let pitches and players rest and give our wallets a rest for a month which would maybe see away supports bigger in February, especially the first couple of games back.

good article Ewan.

A winter break makes no sense.

What do we do when there is a World Cup or European Championships? There would be no recovery times for players, unless they paly more midweek games, which often are inconveneient for supports resulting in smaller crowds and is someting teams and players moan about if theyconstantly play Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday-Saturday.

Also a lot of people go on holiday in the Summer, so will miss games, and you only need to miss two or three games to make in savings in season tickets not worth while.

Thirdly, when will we have it, in Scotland the weather is crazy and I have seen many a January day being warmer than a February, March or Apri.

Next up, it could affect clubs finances if they have a full month with no attendance income.

Then, a lot of tema have spent a lot of money on ubndersoil heating - if a rule comes in, sayinging we can not play in the cold, what was the point?

Finally, I played five a side for about 10 years with my mates, without the need for a winter break, yet I am not a professional sportsman, they are.

Season wouldn't run on to May if we had a sixteen team league with each team playing twice rather than the nonsense of 4 games against each other if there wasn't the stupid split. 32 game season would end in april, nae probs, thus allowing a winter break The winter break isn't about the players getting a rest, it's about the pitches, the standard of football in winter conditions and giving fans wallets a rest after xmas.

Which is 8 games less a season not to mention at least one OF game less, possibly two depending league positions so is a no no financially.

The problem with the current set up is the clubs need the money from the games, I would strongly suggest anything which reduces the games, especially old firm games a season will be extremely well fought against by clubs like us, hibs, dundee utd , aberdeen who would be big losers.

Get over yerself, Ewan is a massive Jambo. He always has a better take on the goings on at tynie than the weejia, who spout this crap on a daily basis.

Drylaw Hearts

I'll say one thing about the 'Fire Sales'.........

As no Club appears to have made a bid for any of our players there isn't much chance of us being able to sell them.

And as other have said EM is a good Jambo and travels home, away and to europe.

Mr Brightside
A winter break makes no sense.

What do we do when there is a World Cup or European Championships? There would be no recovery times for players, unless they paly more midweek games, which often are inconveneient for supports resulting in smaller crowds and is someting teams and players moan about if theyconstantly play Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday-Saturday.

German and Italian leagues have a winter shutdown, I wonder what there records are at world cups;)

I don't see a problem with an increase in the season untill mid to late May, bearing in mind the Champions league final is not usually until the penultimate week in May.

I'll say one thing about the 'Fire Sales'.........

As no Club appears to have made a bid for any of our players there isn't much chance of us being able to sell them.

And as other have said EM is a good Jambo and travels home, away and to europe.

In reply to all the others too, IF he is such a great Jambo, why did he join in with the myth we were going under, and all our players would be sold. Look back at the thread in December, and you will see a poster from down south defending him, but he still managed to toe the weegie line and put the boot in. IMHO no sympathetic journo would repeat a manufactured story and twist it to being his own work. No pro Jambo would allow this myth to be relayed as FACT. He along with all the other reporters are simply trying to sell papers and have no regard for the TRUTH!

Archived