All Footballers must speak English

Rawrrrrrrr

From now on according to a deal thrashed out between the government and FA's.

They get a 12 month grace period and if they can't pass a test after it they are getting booted out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

They get a 12 month grace period and if they can't pass a test after it they are getting booted out:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Umm... link?

marshallschunkychicken

Ridiculous idea.

I thought they would be trying to prevent the flow of foreigners into this country....

:o

Does it count for managers too, 'cause if it does John Hughes better get practicing his diction.

Yep everyone involved in football

Its on SSN. Just had a bit more on, it is saying its only the english FA, however, the government source interviewed then basically said it affected everyone in the UK.

Basically everyone involved in football will get 12 months to prove themselves under the foreign worker legislation and if they didnt would face removal.

Its on SSN. Just had a bit more on, it is saying its only the english FA, however, the government source interviewed then basically said it affected everyone in the UK.

Basically everyone involved in football will get 12 months to prove themselves under the foreign worker legislation and if they didnt would face removal.

How, if its only the EFA, can it affect the whole of the UK, unless it its being brought in as law?

Or is it another case of UK=England?

How, if its only the EFA, can it affect the whole of the UK, unless it its being brought in as law?

Or is it another case of UK=England?

Well its the same government responsible for work permits and immigration UK wide. They are hardly going to tell the english FA they need to have english speakers and let everyone do differently.

The government source also indicated all FA's were advised of the same requirement.

Its political non-correctness gone MAD

GC

Is it?

We have the prospect of increasing unemployment and yet foreigners can enter the country and take up the jobs. I know a lot of the jobs our people would not wish to do but I suspect they will be told they'll have to, or forgo benefit. Football should not be treated any differently from the rest of the labour force.

As a separate issue I cannot believe the rule could apply to EU incomers who cannot speak English.

If it did/does apply in Scotland then Nakamura will have a bit of catching up to do!

What would happen if someone was punted after 12 months but signed a 3 year deal or something?

Would the club be liable?

Remindes me of Paul Whitehouse( I think that's his name) when he did the player coming to Newcastle. At first he couldn't speak English and by the end of the skit he was saying things like "waye aye man me and lads wir doon toon."

Found it here:

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=paul+whiehouse+newcastle+footballer&aq=f

Sub4TiddlerMurray

If true, i can only apply to non-EU countries. EU 8 countries such as Lithuania, Poland, etc. have full employment, benefits & housing rights from April 1. A2 countries Romania & Bulgaria will still have to have worker registration docs but can't, be stopped from residing here on the basis of language as I understand it, they will also get full rights in due course.

The restriction can only affect players with work permits from outwith the EU

Is it?

We have the prospect of increasing unemployment and yet foreigners can enter the country and take up the jobs. I know a lot of the jobs our people would not wish to do but I suspect they will be told they'll have to, or forgo benefit. Football should not be treated any differently from the rest of the labour force.

As a separate issue I cannot believe the rule could apply to EU incomers who cannot speak English.

Certainly dont want to get into a political row but surely the highlighted section of your post rather undermines the first sentence.

Or are you suggesting that Scottish people ought to be allowed to say

(i) I dont want that job as its too menial for me; AND

(ii) I dont want my benefits cut; AND

(iii) No foreigners should be allowed to come in and get jobs because of all the unemployment.

Because that's how your post reads to me.

Anyway, my original post which you quoted was supposed to be tongue-

firmly-in-cheek.

GC

If true, i can only apply to non-EU countries. EU 8 countries such as Lithuania, Poland, etc. have full employment, benefits & housing rights from April 1. A2 countries Romania & Bulgaria will still have to have worker registration docs but can't, be stopped from residing here on the basis of language as I understand it, they will also get full rights in due course.

Yep just had more info on it, involves non EU players.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Yep just had more info on it, involves non EU players.

So it only counts for non-EU players?! So if we had one Lithuanian and one Brazilian, neither of whom could speak English, the Brazilian would be deported but the Lithuanian wouldn't?! That's ridiculous!

I was just about to ask that, this rule would be completely unenforceable for EU members.

So it only counts for non-EU players?! So if we had one Lithuanian and one Brazilian, neither of whom could speak English, the Brazilian would be deported but the Lithuanian wouldn't?! That's ridiculous!

Hmmm.... Chessy or Miko v Cammazola

:mw_rolleyes:

Bang goes the world cup stars dream eh?;)

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Can I stress I was only using those countries as a hypothetical example, and wasn't thinking of any players in particular.

Frankenstein Jambo.

It just goes to show how arrogent the EFA are and in many cases the goverment as well. They think English is the proglonged language of the world but should the same not be said to anyone who is working or playing football in spain? Amagine kicking someone out because they have found it it dfficult to learn how to speak the language. Nakamura better get his thumb out because apparently he hasn't been able to grasp English

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jan/16/tefl-football-immigration-language

"Having muscled their way past the 49-page application form, footballers from Argentina to Zambia will need to show linguistic aptitude at level A1 of The Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference.

Classified as a "breakthrough level for basic users", A1 is the first of six such levels for reading, listening, speaking and writing. A Home Office official confirmed that the required standard includes the ability to introduce themselves, as well as asking and answering simple questions, but is nowhere near fluency."

There are various people offering exams that would satisfy the qualification. The link below shows the past paper for one of them.

http://www.pearsonplt.com/VirtualContent/85864/Session_One___Level_A1_Written_Paper.pdf

Always remember when Hearts signed Juanjo and got him started on learning English by attending day classes at Ainslie Park.

After a month every second word was a well pronounced "F".

Certainly dont want to get into a political row but surely the highlighted section of your post rather undermines the first sentence.

Or are you suggesting that Scottish people ought to be allowed to say

(i) I dont want that job as its too menial for me; AND

(ii) I dont want my benefits cut; AND

(iii) No foreigners should be allowed to come in and get jobs because of all the unemployment.

Because that's how your post reads to me.

Anyway, my original post which you quoted was supposed to be tongue-

firmly-in-cheek.

GC

Apologise for any ambiguity.

I was saying that, at present, British people turn down less attractive jobs and foreigners come in and do them. In future it is highly likely that British people will have to take these jobs or have their benefits cut, meaning there will be fewer jobs available for foreigners and if they can't speak English they would not qualify anyhow.

This is not actually a football issue.

THe government as part of the new citizen drive, is requiring all foreign workers (ie non EU nationals) who are working in the uk via a temporary working visa, to have a very basic command of English if they wish to be granted an extention to the initial one year visa. It really designed to prevent too many foreigners coming in and working in domestic service, hotels etc in london and the south east.

Just happens that football has a lot of these foreign workers too!

Learning English was the easy part.Its his passing,shooting and crossing that he is struggling on.:laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jan/16/tefl-football-immigration-language

"Having muscled their way past the 49-page application form, footballers from Argentina to Zambia will need to show linguistic aptitude at level A1 of The Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference.

Classified as a "breakthrough level for basic users", A1 is the first of six such levels for reading, listening, speaking and writing. A Home Office official confirmed that the required standard includes the ability to introduce themselves, as well as asking and answering simple questions, but is nowhere near fluency."

There are various people offering exams that would satisfy the qualification. The link below shows the past paper for one of them.

http://www.pearsonplt.com/VirtualContent/85864/Session_One___Level_A1_Written_Paper.pdf

Looks solid :laugh:

Archived