European games at Tynie?

Jamboy81

If we qualify for Europe which I think we might do will European matches be played at Tynecastle or will we have to go to Muddyfield again??

Probably muddyfield sadly!

Would always prefer Tynie! There is nothing like a floodlit game there.

Whether it be European or league/cup games.

tambothejambo

Under the impression that all european games will be at tynie. did they not get special dispensation to play european ties at tynie ?

:108years:

hope so murrayfield means more cash but tynie gives us a chance to do well. Nothing quite like tynie on a european night.

Murrayfield's a wholly depressing experience for me, although I'm sure the money men think it's a good idea. Crap food, crap atmosphere, 40,000 empty seats, it's just all a bit rubbish really.

Optimus Prime

I honestly don't see the financial logic in going to Murrayfield for a UEFA Cup 1st round tie against (for example) a random eastern European team. There is no way we would get anywhere near the crowds who went to the AEK and Sparta games now and with the cost of renting Murrayfield it would be a non starter IMO.

Perhaps if we made the group stages and got a glamour group with teams that bring big travelling supports (ie Schalke). Then it would be financially viable.

Romanov Stole My Pension
I honestly don't see the financial logic in going to Murrayfield for a UEFA Cup 1st round tie against (for example) a random eastern European team. There is no way we would get anywhere near the crowds who went to the AEK and Sparta games now and with the cost of renting Murrayfield it would be a non starter IMO.

Perhaps if we made the group stages and got a glamour group with teams that bring big travelling supports (ie Schalke). Then it would be financially viable.

I'm pretty sure that Hearts would have to declare which stadium they would be using for all European competition.

As you say, Hearts wouldn't get the 40k crowds like we did before. It's far more sensible to get a full house at tynie and hopefully the home advantage (unlike at murrayfield) would help us get through an extra round and make some extra dosh.

Still a long long way to go in the league this season.

Optimus Prime
I'm pretty sure that Hearts would have to declare which stadium they would be using for all European competition.

As you say, Hearts wouldn't get the 40k crowds like we did before. It's far more sensible to get a full house at tynie and hopefully the home advantage (unlike at murrayfield) would help us get through an extra round and make some extra dosh.

Still a long long way to go in the league this season.

Yes i think you are right with the declaring of the stadium. Quite agree with the home advantage thing as well. I've always wondered how we would've got on against AEK at Tynecastle. Tight pitch packed to the rafters, i don't think they would've fancied it. The wide Murrayfield pitch allowed them to play an expansive passing game and exposed the limitations of players like Robbie Neilson who was hopelessly out his depth against that guy with 99 on his back.

Has'nt Csaba got a 100% winning record at Murrayfield?

I would rather see us playing at a tight stadium where we are on top of the players, not like many stadium in Europe, so that would perhaps intimidate the opposition, unlike Murrayfield which is similar to a lot of European stadia!

I think what tynecastle gives us is a greater chance of a european run. Much harder place to come and play than Murrayfield, this in turn brings more financial benefit.

IIRC Campbell Ogilvie said that we were likely to use Tynecastle when we next get into europe (I think it was that time he communicated the plan for HMFC, maybe a year ago?) . They could easily change their minds but it was an encouraging sign.

Tynecastle was made UEFA cup compliant at the start of 05/06. Unfortunately it wasn't CL compliant and we had to play at Murrayfield when we qualified for that instead. When we fell into the UEFA cup we weren't alowed to change grounds during a european campaign.

Unless we manage to qualify for the CL, we should be having european games at tynecastle from now on

Archived