Players that won us over?

SupaJT

What about Robert Tomaschek,pretty gash at the the start then came on to a bit of a game!

Never quite won me over.

I thought when he started to play up to Hearts standard his performances where overstated. Perhaps if he stayed longer he would of won me over. Expect better from a slovakian captain (I think? memory hazy)

Recently, Karapidis and Zaliukas both come to mind.

From days of yore...and it's a wierd one...but Wayne Foster. I'm not even sure why but when he first came to the club I just didn't take to him. He definitley won me over though!

Broxburn Jambo
One for the oldies.

Stewart MacLaren.

Played sweeper in his first season 1981-82, having been signed from Motherwell. The dreaded season we stayed down in the 1st division.

Couldnt kick a barn door, no positional sense, used to stand on the ball all the time.

Then in 82-83 MacDonald and Jardine played him as the midfield enforcer and he literally kicked anything that moved. When he got the ball at his feet he was clearly told in no uncertain terms to make the simplest 5 yards sideways pass in the shortest available time.

First season back up 83-84 he was immense in winning the midfield battle. Never stopped running and tackling and the fans really took to him after giving him the worst stick I'd ever seen anyone receive.

Go Chopper!!!!

Pressley was used at right-back initially or even sat on the bench, and it took quite a while until he was finally accepted. He used to receive pelters. How times change: pelters/lauded/pelters.

That should read pelters/liked/lauded/loved/hero/legend/satan/pelters. :D

:laugh:

Gordon was getting a lot of stick from sections of the support towards the end of the 2004/2005 season after gifting a place in the Scottish Cup Final to Celtic.

He then went on to have perhaps the greatest single season from a Hearts goalkeeper ever.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Never quite won me over.

I thought when he started to play up to Hearts standard his performances where overstated. Perhaps if he stayed longer he would of won me over. Expect better from a slovakian captain (I think? memory hazy)

The legend of Tomashek seems to grow more and more than his ability ever did. He was pretty honking, TBH. Decent efort, and he got stuck in, but we wasn't a good player.

Gordon was getting a lot of stick from sections of the support towards the end of the 2004/2005 season after gifting a place in the Scottish Cup Final to Celtic.

He then went on to have perhaps the greatest single season from a Hearts goalkeeper ever.

I can't recall him getting any stick and it would be a bit harsh to blame him for the semi-final, if you are referring to Bellamy's goal.

I can't recall him getting any stick and it would be a bit harsh to blame him for the semi-final, if you are referring to Bellamy's goal.

The Bellamy goal and Sutton's opener when he came out to clear and missed the ball, allowing Sutton the opportunity to head into an empty net.

He was given a bit of stick for that and people were questioning some of the flaws in his game, inability to come for crosses being one of them. It wasn't along the same lines as the others mentioned in this thread (booing and hatred from the stands), just some mutterings on JKB and in the pubs.

The legend of Tomashek seems to grow more and more than his ability ever did. He was pretty honking, TBH. Decent efort, and he got stuck in, but we wasn't a good player.

scored a screamer vs motherwell at tynie IIRC

MacDonald Jardine
Now that Elliots back it got me thinking if will he be able to overcome the so-called boo boys and become a decent player for hearts.

There have been players that have done this in the past, my example would be Steven Boyack. He was useless to start with but eventually he won me over through sheer effort.

So who were the players you loved to hate, then just loved? :laugh:

Boyack won you over?:eek:

The best example is Pressley who was hated in his first season when he played right back.

Wonder how he's thought of now?

Francis Albert

Gary Mackay? In fact I am not sure he won over SOME fans until after he retired ...

Remembering his early year it amuses when he is described as a "legend" in the same breath as the other Mackay.

Also I have been told that at first some fans thought Bauld was lazy!

The Bellamy goal and Sutton's opener when he came out to clear and missed the ball, allowing Sutton the opportunity to head into an empty net.

He was given a bit of stick for that and people were questioning some of the flaws in his game, inability to come for crosses being one of them. It wasn't along the same lines as the others mentioned in this thread (booing and hatred from the stands), just some mutterings on JKB and in the pubs.

I get you now. I was a bit critical of his ability to deal with crosses at the beginning as well, but I was more enthused by his shot-stopping ability. I think we all knew he would iron out the problems and go on to be a great 'keeper.

Steven Boyack

Robbie Neilson

Ricardo Fuller

Steven Pressley

Bruno Aguair

juanjo

Paul Hartley

Boyack - pish

Neilson - pish

Jaunjo - quite pish

Drylaw Hearts
Now that Elliots back it got me thinking if will he be able to overcome the so-called boo boys and become a decent player for hearts.

There have been players that have done this in the past, my example would be Steven Boyack. He was useless to start with but eventually he won me over through sheer effort.

So who were the players you loved to hate, then just loved? :laugh:

I didn't hate him but Pressley was awful when he first arrived.

Have to say that Neil MacFarlane went from zero to hero for me.

I thought he was terrific for hearts. Never gave anything less than his all and tidied up around the fussy and sometimes messy players around him - making us a formidable force.

Archived