Nigel De Jong

Martin_T

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7834076.stm

He's a good player, but if City had waited just another 5 months they would have got him for ?16.2 million less. ?18 million now or ?1.8 million in the summer. Absolutely absurd again and yet another reason why I think the very future of their club is being severely compromised.

A good signing for them though but remember they are in a relegation fight and need him now.

Carl Weathers

He's a good player, but if City had waited just another 5 months they would have got him for ?16.2 million less. ?18 million now or ?1.8 million in the summer. Absolutely absurd again and yet another reason why I think the very future of their club is being severely compromised.

I'd laugh if they go down.

They are embarrassing to football, imo.

loveofthegame

Completely embarrassing, by far 1 of, if not the, the most ridiculous signing ever. ?5M would have been more than enough, who knows they might have let him go for slightly less.

To pay 10x what they could have got him for in the summer is mental institute stuff.

I'm starting to grow a strong dislike for City,and its not down to their manager or fans.

Drylaw Hearts
Completely embarrassing, by far 1 of, if not the, the most ridiculous signing ever. ?5M would have been more than enough, who knows they might have let him go for slightly less.

To pay 10x what they could have got him for in the summer is mental institute stuff.

I'm starting to grow a strong dislike for City,and its not down to their manager or fans.

It will all end in tears.

Don't understand this point, Martin. Unlike at Chelsea, or in a different way, Man Utd or Liverpool, the money City are spending isn't a loan, and the club hasn't been over-leveraged against its assets. It's a drop in the ocean to the owners, who do, believe it or not, have a plan: essentially, to popularise Abu Dhabi as a destination, attract investment there and so on.

I look at the way they've been embarrassed over the Kaka and Robinho sagas and laugh: it's typical City. I also find the amounts their spending seriously vulgar. But it's up to the owners: a player is worth what a club is prepared to pay for him. It'll have no material impact on City's future at all - and will at least ensure a bit of cash begins to circulate in these frozen up football markets too.

Don't understand this point, Martin. Unlike at Chelsea, or in a different way, Man Utd or Liverpool, the money City are spending isn't a loan, and the club hasn't been over-leveraged against its assets. It's a drop in the ocean to the owners, who do, believe it or not, have a plan: essentially, to popularise Abu Dhabi as a destination, attract investment there and so on.

I look at the way they've been embarrassed over the Kaka and Robinho sagas and laugh: it's typical City. I also find the amounts their spending seriously vulgar. But it's up to the owners: a player is worth what a club is prepared to pay for him. It'll have no material impact on City's future at all - and will at least ensure a bit of cash begins to circulate in these frozen up football markets too.

So who is paying these players wages in the interim Shaun? City will run at a massive loss each season paying transfer fees and wages that bloated. Will the Arabs being writing off these losses? I think that remains to be seen.

Spending vast amounts on a football club to popularise Abu Dhabi as a destination, is akin to using a bazooka to kill a fly.

So who is paying these players wages in the interim Shaun? City will run at a massive loss each season paying transfer fees and wages that bloated. Will the Arabs being writing off these losses? I think that remains to be seen.

Spending vast amounts on a football club to popularise Abu Dhabi as a destination, is akin to using a bazooka to kill a fly.

how many of our reserves and 19s are out of contract in the summer

The owners are - and yes, the losses are being written off. It's up to them what they want to do: Premier League football is a multi-billionaire's pishing contest now.

Charlie-Brown
how many of our reserves and 19s are out of contract in the summer

Quite a few I believe - not certain which ones though?

Very astute signing. If utilised properly, he will screen the defence and afford the attackers and defenders a degree of freedom and protection. Mascherano reportedly cost Liverpool around the same amount of money, so I'm not sure it is an exorbitant fee. Had they waited until the summer, teams from warmer climes may have enticed him.

The owners are - and yes, the losses are being written off. It's up to them what they want to do: Premier League football is a multi-billionaire's pishing contest now.

How can you know this when they haven't released any accounts since they took over? At first everyone assumed Roman was pumping money into Chelsea to cover the huge costs. As it turned out it was all being run up as debts.

How can you know this when they haven't released any accounts since they took over? At first everyone assumed Roman was pumping money into Chelsea to cover the huge costs. As it turned out it was all being run up as debts.

They've made this clear from the outset. Of course, if it's all a big lie, we'll find out soon enough; but I doubt it.

That was also the impression given at Chelsea. It turned out not to be true. As with Romanov here, it is unclear whether there is any real difference when the owner clearlly has sufficent assets elsewhere to cover the debt.

J.T.F.Robertson
It will all end in tears.

Now that rings a bell. :tongue:

I think the whole thing is obscene, though.

rudi must stay

in the long term it looks unlikely that their plan will work. If they have money to spend though why not spend it and De Jong is exactly the type of player they need

Unbelievable sum of money, but who can honestly say they are suprised?

Good signing for City though. They need to spend on defenders desperately, mind you.

Unbelievable sum of money, but who can honestly say they are suprised?

Good signing for City though. They need to spend on defenders desperately, mind you.

Really?

Ball

Ben-Haim

Glauber

Bridge

Dunne

Garrido

Logan

Mills

Onuha

Richards

Zabaleta

Kompany can also play centre half and has for most of his career

I think there main problem is midfield and its lack of balance.

Really?

Ball

Ben-Haim

Glauber

Bridge

Dunne

Garrido

Logan

Mills

Onuha

Richards

Zabaleta

Kompany can also play centre half and has for most of his career

I think there main problem is midfield and its lack of balance.

The ones in bold are average at best. Glauber i have to admit i've never heard of so there's only really 4 players there who can play defence IMO. de Jong is much better than any of the players in that list.

I do agree that they need someone for central midfield though. Diarra/Palacios would have fitted the bill perfectly IMO along with another winger and striker.

Archived