death of a legend (NHC)

kevinref

Meanwhile, sad news for Accies fans was received at lunchtime today with news of the death this morning of our infamous fan Ian 'Fergie' Russell who was 71. Ill health meant he hadn't attended a match for six years, however the club still received regular enquiries about him. Known throughout the country to players and fans for his unique vocal support of the club, particularly throughout the 1970s-1990s, he was certainly a character.

think he was the only guy you could here on the tele at accies games

Never in all my life have I heard anything like him. you could stand behind the goals (at the bottom of the massive hill) at Douglas Park and still hear him from 100 yards away.

a Character alright.

Whilst I do not wish to speak ill of the dead, wasn't that the dude that got banned (for a short time) by Hamilton due to his offensive remarks?

Whilst I do not wish to speak ill of the dead, wasn't that the dude that got banned (for a short time) by Hamilton due to his offensive remarks?

he did, aye. I think it was the industrial nature of his language. He could have stripped paint off a wall.

I remember him from the dark days of us having to play Hamilton at the old Douglas Park.

Never heard someone with such an unremitting, loud voice.

Never heard someone with such an unremitting, torrent of foul-mouthed abuse aimed at his, yes, his team.

I'm talking '77-'83, judging by London Hearts ...

he did, aye. I think it was the industrial nature of his language. He could have stripped paint off a wall.

Thought as much.

Every club has a "sinky".

RIP.

loveofthegame

So he's just a loudmouth fan who swore a lot?! I wouldn't wish death on anyone but i certainly don't feel so ignorant anymore from not having heard of him. Maybe the word ''legend'' is a bit much.

So he's just a loudmouth fan who swore a lot?! I wouldn't wish death on anyone but i certainly don't feel so ignorant anymore from not having heard of him. Maybe the word ''legend'' is a bit much.

Exactly!

Maybe it should be "character" rather than "legend" but the guy has passed on so I'm sure in the eyes of those closest to him he was a "legend".

I remember going to Douglas Park whilst about 7 and hearing him all throughout the match. Alex McDonald's Father once told my Dad and I that after a Rangers game there "Wee Doadie" hide amongst the strip hampers on the way out to avoid Fergie who was waiting to give him dogs abuse outside the ground entrance!

Miller Jambo 60
I remember him from the dark days of us having to play Hamilton at the old Douglas Park.

Never heard someone with such an unremitting, loud voice.

Never heard someone with such an unremitting, torrent of foul-mouthed abuse aimed at his, yes, his team.

I'm talking '77-'83, judging by London Hearts ...

Remember him well ,sad to hear of this.

RIP mate.

And bye the way he was louder than me.

that takes some going.

He is a legend, albeit in a Maurice Flitcroft rather than a Bobby Jones way.

scott herbertson

A silent movie memory of Fergie

well he may have been a bampot but he was a funny one too.

I remember reading an article about him in the seventies when he had been banned from the ground by the chairman.

The chairman said he was in his front garden one day shortly after and had the strange feeling someone was looking at him.

He looked around and noticed a corporation bus stopped outside his house picking up passengers.

On the top deck a gigantic naked bum was pressed against one of the windows. Guess whose!

I remember him. Gawd he was loud! and foul! Was definately a character though.

Lynn:ninja:

I have the best story on him : -

Hamilton were playing at Brechin and Fergie was there giving the players pelters during the game. Funny thing was, Accies won. Anyway, the supporters bus were getting so fed up with him that they left him after a stop on the way down. Fergie then tried to hitch a lift when the team bus stopped for him. He thanked them, but minutes after getting on, he laid right into the players and the manager. They dropped him off in Dundee and told him to make his own way home. Now that's a classic!!!

Archived