Interesting Article in EEN

loveofthegame

jamboinglasgow

It is an interesting read. I think Gray has been unlucky with injuries but it sounds like he is determined to excel on loan so he can get a contract extension. When you go to clubs like these you have to push yourselves all the time as there is serious talent in front of you. That attitude needs to be with all young/youth players no matter which club they are at otherwise they will falter.

Think there is always someone above you, and if you push yourselves you will pass them.

It's what we all said at the time he left - he'd have a far better chance of making it at Hearts than at ManU...

Is it really better to be playing for Plymouth or Royal Antwerp as a loanee than first team football at the club that owns you? I don't think so... How often is Fergie going to go see Plymouth? He may send scouts a few times but he'll likely have Manu scouts at Hearts games too, as they must have been watching the Hearts kids originally in order to see Gray.

Is it really that great to be a ManU reject, if that is what happens to him in the summer? Ask Mikey Stewart - it was only once he stopped seeing himself as Billy Bigbaws that he found any form at club level and that was after the scare of being dumped by Hearts and having to play for Hibs!!Being a ManU player probably slowed Stewart's progress by about 3-4 years!

Good luck to the guy and I hope he is one day good enough and in a position to play for the Famous, but I cannot help thinking he made a mistake in being wowed by the prospect of ManU before he was good enough or old enough...

you're gonna have to be a special player if you can break through at man.u. Rafael is already ahead of him and he's younger.

Fletcher is an example of a scottish player thats made it but i do think Fergie favours him somewhat.

you're gonna have to be a special player if you can break through at man.u. Rafael is already ahead of him and he's younger.

Fletcher is an example of a scottish player thats made it but i do think Fergie favours him somewhat.

Do they play the same position??

My mate is really good friends with him from school and was saying at the weekend he was captain in the reserves at some point so that suggests to me he is petty close to 1st team action

I agree with you about sir alex favouring Flecther

rudi must stay
Haven't seen it posted elsewhere, but an interesting article on ex-Hearts kid David Gray whose now attempting to break into the Man Utd first team...

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/ExHearts-kid-Gray-still-dreams.4896540.jp

I thought it was an interesting read anyway...

was always going to be hard to make it there. The bonus is though that if you've played with Man Utd you're supposed to be brilliant so it's easy to find a club

The article misses the point he is 2-3 years younger than those mentioned, has made his man utd debut and is very highly rated and still only 19.

Would be surprised if he doesnt get at least another year.

jamboinglasgow
It's what we all said at the time he left - he'd have a far better chance of making it at Hearts than at ManU...

Is it really better to be playing for Plymouth or Royal Antwerp as a loanee than first team football at the club that owns you? I don't think so... How often is Fergie going to go see Plymouth? He may send scouts a few times but he'll likely have Manu scouts at Hearts games too, as they must have been watching the Hearts kids originally in order to see Gray.

Is it really that great to be a ManU reject, if that is what happens to him in the summer? Ask Mikey Stewart - it was only once he stopped seeing himself as Billy Bigbaws that he found any form at club level and that was after the scare of being dumped by Hearts and having to play for Hibs!!Being a ManU player probably slowed Stewart's progress by about 3-4 years!

Good luck to the guy and I hope he is one day good enough and in a position to play for the Famous, but I cannot help thinking he made a mistake in being wowed by the prospect of ManU before he was good enough or old enough...

In a way you can compare him with Gary Glen. Glen was offered the chance to join Man Utd after a trial but turned it down as he saw it was better to go through Hearts.

He made his debut by the age of 16, scored his first goal at the age of 18 and looks a great prospect (I would be surprised if no other teams outside Scotland have looked at him.) If he continues like he has done then he will off to good clubs by the age of 21/22.

If he went to Man united he may of broken through at a similar age but it is hard to tell. Hearts with the right coaching and set-up (which it has) will be attractive to alot of youngsters and one where we will almost have scouts camped at Riccarton all the time.

also does anyone have any info on how the other former Hearts youngster, 18 y.o. Daniel Galbraith, is doing at Manchester United? All I can see is that he is in the reserves.

I would think that he may get his chance eventually, I would think that its unlikely that Ferguson would have him as reserve team captain if he didnt see something there. He's still young and going out to plymouth on loan isnt going to harm his chances. Does anybody know if Hearts have a sell on clause for him?

Do they play the same position??

My mate is really good friends with him from school and was saying at the weekend he was captain in the reserves at some point so that suggests to me he is petty close to 1st team action

I agree with you about sir alex favouring Flecther

they both play rb. Rafael has made a few starts for united in that position. Gray also mentions it in the article.

would love to see him get a run in the side though.

Playing for Man U didn't half slow down Mikey Stewart's career.

Did he not claim back in August that this was "only his fourth proper season as a pro"?!

WTF was that all about?

Buffalo Bill

It is an interesting read. I think Gray has been unlucky with injuries but it sounds like he is determined to excel on loan so he can get a contract extension. When you go to clubs like these you have to push yourselves all the time as there is serious talent in front of you. That attitude needs to be with all young/youth players no matter which club they are at otherwise they will falter.

Think there is always someone above you, and if you push yourselves you will pass them.

Recurring injuries during crucial years seem to be trend with young Scottish prospects. Gutting.

He may have just been joking, but if his approach is to just give the ball to Ronaldo or hope for the best when Ronaldo is coming at him then he won't make it at any level.

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment of this thread, breaking through and playing proper first team games at a younger age has got to be better for your development than spending your time idolising superstars in training and never believing that you can ever be that good. The only players who will get in Man Utd's team regularly as a teenager will be the seriously talented players who would make it to a club that size anyway, so you're probably better off at a smaller team regardless of how good you are.

I would think that he may get his chance eventually, I would think that its unlikely that Ferguson would have him as reserve team captain if he didnt see something there. He's still young and going out to plymouth on loan isnt going to harm his chances. Does anybody know if Hearts have a sell on clause for him?

Dont think so. IIRC as a sweetener we got Michael Stewart for zip for that season with Man Utd paying his wages and expenses.

Going on loan from United does sometimes help....ask Mr Beckham.

Going on loan from United does sometimes help....ask Mr Beckham.

For every David Beckham there are 20+ who get booted out though...

For clubs like ManU there is more money to invest at that level but there is also less of an incentive to recoup that investment. When Hearts invest in youngters I get the feeling the kids get every chance (Copil) to make it - indeed some probably get held onto for too long if anything. Man U know that they can sell the occasional Kieron Richardson for a million or 2 on the back of a successful loan, and that will pay for all the many youngsters that they eventually release.

Glenn Hoddle seems to have realised that there are a lot of kids being dumped by the big English clubs' Academies who may still make it in football - they probably wouldn't need his help if they'd stayed at clubs the size of Hearts...

Dont think so. IIRC as a sweetener we got Michael Stewart for zip for that season with Man Utd paying his wages and expenses.

Was that connected to the Galbraith deal? I thought Rangers passed on the opportunity to take Stewart before Hearts took him?

The example of Liam Craig should be given to any youth who thinks about doing a Gray or Galbraith.

Chased the dream at ipswich, was released at 18/9 without even getting near the first team and has spent the last few years trying to rebuild his career at falkirk and st johnstone - actually a decent player - whilst all the others who came through at hearts who were good enough are now regulars in the first team.

As for stats on how our 3 poached stars are doing.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={586F3BDA-BAD0-484E-AA1B-C0464DF06DF7}&section=playerProfile&teamid=435&bioid=91990

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={586F3BDA-BAD0-484E-AA1B-C0464DF06DF7}&section=playerProfile&teamid=435&bioid=92008

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReserveProfiles/0,,10303~889584,00.html

Would be surprised if at least 1 of them doesnt make it.

When we sell these players we should insist on first option when it comes to loaning them out or selling them in return for making the deals a bit easier to do.

Was that connected to the Galbraith deal? I thought Rangers passed on the opportunity to take Stewart before Hearts took him?

Completely correct.

there wasnt even a deal, we could do nothing to stop Galbraith moving.

I have heard suggestions that these players sign for Man Utd etc long before their 16th Bday and stay at hearts to get round the 90 mile rule and then when there 16 they move down south for the standard 50k

Glen turned man utd down Im sure i heard once

loveofthegame

When we sell these players we should insist on first option when it comes to loaning them out or selling them in return for making the deals a bit easier to do.

Agree that this would be a very good, sensible idea.

Agree that this would be a very good, sensible idea.

In fairness I suspect we do.

I believe as above we allow Man Utd to pick up the cream of our kids and continue to generate here til they can sign down south and it creates the relationship that we can get them back on loan etc later on if we want and they agree.

Obviously nothing formal can be in place but I suspect as previously rumoured unofficial links do exist

Salvatore's Tash

Gray another product of Loanhead Miners Welfare Boys Club. Amazing area for local footballing talent. Whether it be Loanhead, Rolsin, Bonnyrigg.

He may have just been joking, but if his approach is to just give the ball to Ronaldo or hope for the best when Ronaldo is coming at him then he won't make it at any level.

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment of this thread, breaking through and playing proper first team games at a younger age has got to be better for your development than spending your time idolising superstars in training and never believing that you can ever be that good. The only players who will get in Man Utd's team regularly as a teenager will be the seriously talented players who would make it to a club that size anyway, so you're probably better off at a smaller team regardless of how good you are.

I think you have read that wrong, I think he is saying that if Ronaldo is in front of you in the same side i.e. Gray at right back, Ronaldo on right wing then you pass the ball to him.

I think you have read that wrong, I think he is saying that if Ronaldo is in front of you in the same side i.e. Gray at right back, Ronaldo on right wing then you pass the ball to him.

Aye I gather that but if he intends to forge a career by just passing the ball to the guy in front of him, be it Ronaldo or anyone else, he isn't going to do anything in the game, especially not at a club like Man Utd. Young players stand out by showing initiative and courage on the ball.

Archived