Up to 1 in 4 adults "unfit for work" in parts of Edinburgh

Drew Busby !

The problem isn't the working class it's the underclass for whom working has never been on the agenda.

wheatfield to sheffield

In one place half way down Easter Road - eleven out of eleven adults are unfit for work!

:108years:

The problem isn't the working class it's the underclass for whom working has never been on the agenda.

The Lumpen Proles.

As Marx predicted.

Mac_fae_Gillie

When you got a day off have you ever gone into the pub during the daytime?

nearly everyone in there is on disability benefit of some kind,pure lazy gits.

Alot of them have mental issues which shouldn't stop them working.

I accept some people are not 100% but that just means there are some jobs they can't do,the government should get these people doing something instead of wasting away would do them a lot of good.

alwaysthereinspirit
A new social disease mate. Its called "bone-idleness".

Agreed. I grew up in one of the worst areas mentioned. Left school in 1978 and have worked ever since. Just like 10's of thousands of other people from the schemes who had a wee bit of self respect.

It all starts from the parents. Both my parents worked their a$$es off just so my siblings and I could have summer vaccations, Christmas, new clothes every summer and at easter.

The people standing at the bus stop every morning in these schemes are the ones who give a $#!t. The lazy no goods are up at 10 and in the paper shop getting their 2 rolls and a daily record every day for years. (night shift workers excluded)

I don't know if it is new or just more open, plus mny of the old timers were too proud to go on the buroo. It didn't affect one guy on East Preston Street, he used to call a cab to take him to the buroo at Tollcross and back to the Abbey. Now he was a true legend.:)

I'd like to see the breakdown of these figures according to age. I don't doubt that a large number of 50+ yearolds have been cynically classified as invalidity recipients rather than unemployed ... that old government trick reduces the unemployment figures of course.

utterly disgusting, makes me sick :mad:

the skivers should be out cleaning the streets and picking up litter before picking up there dole money,

Left school 20 years ago, and in all that time I have had about 6 weeks in total with no job. Ive been made reduntant no fewer than four times. My final stint without a job lasted about 2 weeks, by which time I was pulling my hair out - so I started working for myself. Never looked back. I just dont buy this "I cant get a job" pish. Theres always something.

jambos are go!

The figures are disturbing and a way has to be found to tackle the difference between cant work and wont work. But dont kid yourself that these people are living the high life . They have/settled for a low but sustainable standard of living without aspiration. If they get off their butts and work for/demand a bigger share of the cake then unless the cake gets bigger there will be less for everybody else. The poor/underclass can usually only get richer at the expense of the already richer. Lets hope it happens!!!

Archived