Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

Buffalo Bill

Is it just me, or are more and more of our defeated opponents becoming more and more detached from the principle that football is a game about out-scoring your opponents?

In the last two weeks, we?ve had Tatty-Heid blaming Berra theatrics; despite the fact that our captain?s metatarsal was on the receiving end of a hot-headed two footed challenge; a snivelling Pat Nevin ungraciously claiming Hearts were no better deserving than his beloved (and howling) opponents. We then had Alan Combe?s belly-ache, slating our match-winning play before and after kicking out at our goal-scorer. And the papers too continue to wax lyrical about the Leith Flairmeisters and how Killie were cruelly denied a ?just? victory.

This is the news:

Football, is a game about winning. To win, you have to score one more goal than your opponent.

I would argue that a team has 90 minutes to win a match. It only takes a few seconds to score a goal. Therefore, if a team can?t create and convert their chances then they don?t deserve to win.

Hearts deserved to beat Hibs because we scored two goals and they scored none.

Hearts deserved to beat Killie because we scored two goals and they scored none.

In Bordeaux, the home team pressurised us for 89 minutes, but we still deserved to win on the night because they couldn?t score and we could.

We deserved to win the Scottish Cup in 2006 because Gretna couldn?t score their penalties and we did it with ease.

Football = goals = winners.

Losers = moan to the press and go on about how they were robbed.

Winners **** the Prom Queen.

Buffalo Bill

ginger jambo98

Agree with all of that. I think JJ and Combe have forgotten that whilst they were the dominant team in the first half they were benefitting from a howling gale so it was always going to be the proverbial hame of 2 halves. We picked up in the second half and created some good openings, scoring twice.

If they can't take a defeat, they are in the wrong game. Only 1 thing guaranteed in football - disappointment !!

Absolutely correct.

We won ugly against Killie, but it still counts.

The Hibs game I can understand, they were hulmiliated and did most of the damage themselves.

But the Killie game is just one of those things in football, the better time might not neccesarily win. Its a good sign that we can win when not being the dominant team.

Ive not seen Csaba acting ungraciously after a defeat.

I get the feeling he is not the type. Or maybe he just understands football - the good and the bad - a bit better than others.

Is it just me, or are more and more of our defeated opponents becoming more and more detached from the principle that football is a game about out-scoring your opponents?

In the last two weeks, we?ve had Tatty-Heid blaming Berra theatrics; despite the fact that our captain?s metatarsal was on the receiving end of a hot-headed two footed challenge; a snivelling Pat Nevin ungraciously claiming Hearts were no better deserving than his beloved (and howling) opponents. We then had Alan Combe?s belly-ache, slating our match-winning play before and after kicking out at our goal-scorer. And the papers too continue to wax lyrical about the Leith Flairmeisters and how Killie were cruelly denied a ?just? victory.

This is the news:

Football, is a game about winning. To win, you have to score one more goal than your opponent.

I would argue that a team has 90 minutes to win a match. It only takes a few seconds to score a goal. Therefore, if a team can?t create and convert their chances then they don?t deserve to win.

Hearts deserved to beat Killie because we scored two goals and they scored none.

In Bordeaux, the home team pressurised us for 89 minutes, but we still deserved to win on the night because they couldn?t score and we could.

We deserved to win the Scottish Cup in 2006 because Gretna couldn?t score their penalties and we did it with ease.

Buffalo Bill

Completely agree with all of this. I had this debate with a well known flag bearing poster during Frail times, the team that scores the most goals deserves to win.

Having said that, I actually like it when they (the vanquished opposition) go down the "we didn't deserve that" route. It shows how much we have hurt them and how little they like us. I much prefer the "no-one likes us, we don't care" attitude as opposed to the smelly docksiders that play the "we are a flair team" myth with the press whilst they knock their long balls about. They are no threat and are a nice wee fluffy team for the Glasgow mob to like.

The Old Tolbooth

Absolutely!

I'd rather learn how to, and know how to win ugly, than play pretty patterns and lose!

Good post BB

Nelly Terraces

People who've got their backs up about us in the last week:

1. Fathead at the San Giro.

2. Alan 'the white round thing is behind you - in the net' Combe.

Pretty much mission accomplished there then.

Let these bleating losers whinge on about us, just let us concentrate on winning football games.

Fitba's about winnin. Well said BB

It's like the debate about Rangers' tactics last season. They got to the UEFA cup final and deserved to be there based on the very fact that they DID get there. Glad they got pumped mind!

The Hibs thing is magic. We pass them off the park and they're the flair team. I know they were down to 10, but the first 15 mins of the 2nd half last week was a lesson for them.

And they didn't deserve to win cos they lost their discipline which is a massive part of winning football matches at any level. 'We were better until we got a player sent off'. Shouldn't have got a player sent off then eh!

And anyway, while i'm here, I didn't think they particularly were the better team before Fletcher was rightly sent off. We got in behind them twice, they got in once. We had 55% possession at that point of the game too. They were simply in our half more which we were dealing with, waiting for them to either puff themselves out, or lose discipline. Csaba 1, Fat-heid 0

Totally agree

ffs I was at Kilmarnock and neither team could play football in what was shocking conditions. True Danny invisible made a right mess of what was a golden opportunity but reading the papers yesterday between Jeff and Combe you would have though Killie battered us. Just didnt happen and we took two good chances they took none end of.

I too am sick of sniveling teams who know fine well if they say something about Hearts that is controversial or in any way bad it will get printed while the likes of the infirm "grind" out results and show guts to "win ugly"

you couldnae make it up

Agree with all of that. I think JJ and Combe have forgotten that whilst they were the dominant team in the first half they were benefitting from a howling gale so it was always going to be the proverbial hame of 2 halves. We picked up in the second half and created some good openings, scoring twice.

If they can't take a defeat, they are in the wrong game. Only 1 thing guaranteed in football - disappointment !!

I couldn't get to the game but recorded it off Abla. I watched 20min of the first half due to time restrictions and in no way would I say Killie DOMINATED. I thought we had some nice passing and could with more luck scored. The movement and passing for the fist goal would have had Flairmeisters creaming themseves and the second goal was textbook back post header into the danger area. We won fair and square.

The People's Chimp

It's bloody good to get it right up all of them. That leads to the only thing missing about the csaba machine; we've yet to absolutely pump someone and get it rammed right up them. I'd love to hammer utd, aberdeen or motherwell at tynie this season. It's more than deserved.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agreed opposition managers and fans do exactly that.

At the same time, many of our fans and management do exactly the same when we lose, blaming refs or SFA or media and making excuses, rather than looking to find what the problem really was, and fix it for next time.

At the same time, many of our fans and management do exactly the same when we lose, blaming others and making excuses, rather than looking to find what the problem really was, and fix it for next time.

Our fans do, but i dont think our current management do.

I like Csaba after defeats, he tells it as it is and says we was pish. He said after Motherwell that it was good longterm cos he has learnt some things about the team and i like that

He also says things like that after some victories. Not happy, and we can improve. Like that too

Guest JamboRobbo
Our fans do, but i dont think our current management do.

I like Csaba after defeats, he tells it as it is and says we was pish. He said after Motherwell that it was good longterm cos he has learnt some things about the team and i like that

He also says things like that after some victories. Not happy, and we can improve. Like that too

Agreed Csaba doesn't, which is one of the reasons I'm so impressed with him.

Our sporting director, our website, and our owner on the other hand......

I was at the game and in my view both teams were made to look crap by the conditions.

You took your chances, we didn't.

That's football.

Agreed Csaba doesn't, which is one of the reasons I'm so impressed with him.

Our sporting director, our website, and our owner on the other hand......

aye, give you that. they've been quiet of late though!

Cant say I hold with the 'winning is everything' mentality myself :peepwall:

Yes I'll take the 3 points but I'd also feel hard done by if we'd played all the

football and yet come away with nothing

However that's how I'd expect opposition managers and players to see it, as in ......"ach it just wasn't our day today.......but that?s football" :tongue:

What we are seeing at the moment though is ANYBODY who is willing to have pop at us is happily being given that platform by the Weegie weighted media :mad:

Anyway, has there been any comment about the keepers blatant swipe at Kari ?

At the same time, many of our fans and management do exactly the same when we lose, blaming refs or SFA or media and making excuses, rather than looking to find what the problem really was, and fix it for next time.

The problem is JR that in a great many cases it is the officials that " do" us. Take a couple of incidents from this season. We had a penalty over turned at the Sheep. Yes it may not have been a penalty, but how did the linesman see it? Would he have done the same with the OF? I suggest that had the penalty been taken we would have won the game.

Then the fouth official getting invovled. Would he have done so with the OF? NO I am more than sure he wouldn't. Therefore we do get bad officials or at least in my mind, we get the worst of things over other teams, the whole season.

Guest JamboRobbo
The problem is JR that in a great many cases it is the officials that " do" us. Take a couple of incidents from this season. We had a penalty over turned at the Sheep. Yes it may not have been a penalty, but how did the linesman see it? Would he have done the same with the OF? I suggest that had the penalty been taken we would have won the game.

Then the fouth official getting invovled. Would he have done so with the OF? NO I am more than sure he wouldn't. Therefore we do get bad officials or at least in my mind, we get the worst of things over other teams, the whole season.

I rest my case. :tongue::)

I rest my case. :tongue::)

So you honestly beleive that officials go to a game without preconceived ideas about the teams they are going to officiate? Do you honestly beleive that every ref makes " honest" mistakes? Do you honestly beleive that every decition against us was right?

If you can't come up with a more reasoned answer then why bother?

Guest JamboRobbo
So you honestly beleive that officials go to a game without preconceived ideas about the teams they are going to officiate? Do you honestly beleive that every ref makes " honest" mistakes? Do you honestly beleive that every decition against us was right?

If you can't come up with a more reasoned answer then why bother?

I think you can only change things within your control. Trying to change things outwith your control is pointless. I'm glad Csaba realises this.

Victor Meldrew
I think you can only change things within your control. Trying to change things outwith your control is pointless. I'm glad Csaba realises this.

I agree with you about only trying to change things within your control, but wouldn't your view have stopped Hearts from makin a fuss about Zaliukas's sending off at Pittodrie? I know that the decision hasn't been overturned, but at least there will be some form of review of the referee's ability to prevent his decision from being challenged - that has to be good, and wouldn't have happened if we hadn't moaned about it!

Of course, given your views on Zaliukas, you'e probably pleased when he's not on the pitch ;)

jamboinglasgow

I do not know when these managers and players get the idea that they "deserve" to win the game. It happens all the time in footy that the team who played "better" does not win to a team who knows how to put the ball in the net. The OF (especially Celtic) are masters at it, scoring an equaliser and a winner in the last few minutes when the opposition plays their heart out. It means your a winner.

Also I dont think we play boring and poor football. Against Hibs we dominated and created many more chances. Against Kille both teams fought against the weather and we managed to finish when we had the advantage unlike them.

But I like the idea of opposition being annoyed and saying this as it means we are winding them up.

Great lets sit back and take the *****. By your method nothing would change and the world would now be under German control. You can change things outwith your control ,you have to be patient but you can do it.

As pointed out, the rules are being changed, where the refs are no longer in charge of appeals.( they should never have been anyway) But you would be happy if they were still in charge?

Try having a more possitive attitude you will find it helps in all walks of life.

From a philosophical point of view, I would argue that in a fair playing field: teams get what they deserve, even if they have 99% possession but lose 1-0.

I rememeber an Everton/Villa game a few years back. Everton threw everything at them at Goodison before Villa scored a flukey late deflected goal. But at the risk of offending my mate Borthers, I'd say Villa deserved it because they did the one thing that needed to be done to win the game.

Was it fair that Fletcher got sent off? Well by the letter of the law, it was a dargerous lunge that warranted a red. Berra didn't ask him to do it. As someone said: part of the game (and not least in a Derby) is to keep discipline. Hearts did it:Hibs didn't.

Was it unfair Hearts lost to Rangers in Feb 05 because the linesman was a cheat? Yes, it was unfair: because it wasn't a fair playing field. Or, should we have taken that into account and avoided conceding the possession we had and playing too deep when we were nearing the end of the game?

Buffalo Bill

Victor Meldrew

Until they start giving out points for artistic merit in football, I'd rather my team mastered the art of winning ugly.

For anyone to say that a team 'played better' and lost is almost certainly nonsense. It could happen in an 'Andy Davis' type situation where a team is cheated by the incompetence of officials, but otherwise, given the rules of football the 'best' team must be that which achieves the object of the game, namely scoring the most goals in a game, whether that goal be a punt from the half-way line, a goalkeeping error or a magical flairsome move (which our first goal was btw!!).

This sort of nonsense is what losers do. Winners just tae the points home.

WE should wear this as a badge of honour in the way that the Arsenal fans did under George Graham: '1-0 to the Arsenal' and 'Boring Boring Arsenal' were chants they were proud of and **** what anyone else thought about how they played.

It would seem that Hearts are culpable for Killie's striking frailties.

How many more points would we have but for the lack of a decent strike-rate.

I can't recall us blaming anyone but ourselves.

The sour grapes from Jim Jeffries is particularly disappointing.

Life advice from JKB now. :rofl:

It's strange how you have opinions on nearly every thread on here but when a specific point is put to you, you never reply. Is it any wonder there are plenty on here who think you are a fud on the wind up?

Guest JamboRobbo
It's strange how you have opinions on nearly every thread on here but when a specific point is put to you, you never reply. Is it any wonder there are plenty on here who think you are a fud on the wind up?

yet more abuse. :mw_rolleyes:

It would seem that Hearts are culpable for Killie's striking frailties.

How many more points would we have but for the lack of a decent strike-rate.

I can't recall us blaming anyone but ourselves.

The sour grapes from Jim Jeffries is particularly disappointing.

But not really surprising.

yet more abuse. :mw_rolleyes:

Once more with the non reply. At which point did I give you abuse? I asked a question and pointed out what other have stated. Nowhere did I abuse you or make any statment about you. However you have proved my point admirably.

I agree.

But you have to say that some managers/players take it to another level with their post match comments.

Some are just absolutely embarrassing.

I agree.

But you have to say that some managers/players take it to another level with their post match comments.

Some are just absolutely embarrassing.

Jimmy Calderwood calling Nade 'lazy' after scoring the winner at the Cod Heids a while backs.

Er, well your team gave him the ball, ya fat tw**.

Buffalo Bill

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I laugh when I hear idiots like Jefferies, Mixu and Tangoman lamenting the style of play of opponents when their teams lose. The SPL is one of the worst leagues in the world in terms of the quality of play - absolutely howfin'. The English Conference has more ball skills. Every team who wins a match in the SPL wins dirty - it's all they can do. In Italy, sitting in and hitting on the break is a desired quality, an artform, a means to success. Our coaches are too thick to see that and just lash out at any team that doesn't all rush forward 'hae'in a go" in the traditional Scottish way.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that every team who wins a game deserves it just because they have put the ball in the net the most times. That would be to accept that Rangers weren't the biggest gang of cheats ever to disgrace a football field.

On the other hand, none of the recent criticism from brain donors like Combe or Mixu is justified as the games were all pretty close, even when they were 'completely dominating' them. There does seem to be a general reluctance to give us any credit whatsoever, but the more we annoy idiots, the less bothered I am.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that every team who wins a game deserves it just because they have put the ball in the net the most times. That would be to accept that Rangers weren't the biggest gang of cheats ever to disgrace a football field.

I did though, make my premise on the basis of a 'fair playing field' (i.e. not cheating).

It's all theory mind!

Buffalo Bill

Old Pivotonian
Once more with the non reply. At which point did I give you abuse? I asked a question and pointed out what other have stated. Nowhere did I abuse you or make any statment about you. However you have proved my point admirably.

You said 'Is it any wonder there are plenty on here who think you are a fud on the wind up? ' I think that most people would read that to mean that you think that he is indeed a 'fud on the windup'. The clue is in 'is it any wonder'. Anyway, if you genuinely didn't mean that then what point of yours did he prove admirably?

siegementality

This is the news:

Buffalo Bill

I always just smile and wink at whoever has a pop at Hearts in these circumstances. It's amazing just how much that fecks them off!

You said 'Is it any wonder there are plenty on here who think you are a fud on the wind up? ' I think that most people would read that to mean that you think that he is indeed a 'fud on the windup'. The clue is in 'is it any wonder'. Anyway, if you genuinely didn't mean that then what point of yours did he prove admirably?

The point that he comes onto thread with a bullish attitude, he jumps into other conversations and acts like some poeple on here have called him. But when someone asks for an explaination or what his veiw is, he answers with a couple of words and a similey. The keyboard hardman seems to think he owns this board and no-one can question his statments or opinions.

MacDonald Jardine
I couldn't get to the game but recorded it off Abla. I watched 20min of the first half due to time restrictions and in no way would I say Killie DOMINATED. I thought we had some nice passing and could with more luck scored. The movement and passing for the fist goal would have had Flairmeisters creaming themseves and the second goal was textbook back post header into the danger area. We won fair and square.

I've seen nothing of the game but according to Scotland on Sunday we did absolutely nothing for large parts of the game.

But the possession was 53% to Hearts.

How does that work?

I've seen nothing of the game but according to Scotland on Sunday we did absolutely nothing for large parts of the game.

But the possession was 53% to Hearts.

How does that work?

Allow me to answer that one, MJ.

Whilst not exactly setting the heather on fire, we passed and moved, passed and moved for large parts of the game, like we did with our 68% possession at Easter Road.

Eventually, oppertunites arise.

I wonder if 'they' will ever get that. :mw_rolleyes:

Buffalo Bill

This is the news:

Buffalo Bill

Bravo. At times it seems like we are the ONLY team in the league that get`s disrespect from the oppositon manager. I`ve always said Hearts look at their own faults in defeat and don`t look for excuses.

Yes, we may have a moan about refs now and again but i can`t remember a time when the Hearts manager has had underhand swipes or openly whinged about the opponents being lucky. Feckin hate the rest of the SPL.

Archived