wireless broadband question!

Mr Sifter

i have just been given ma mums old computer and have set it up in my house. I cant see any mention of it being wireless enabled, but i DO have wireless broadband in my house. Is there a way to make my mums computer 'wireless enabled' if it not already is? In fact, how do i know if it is? I want to put the computer into one room, my broadband phone point is in another, so a 'wired' connection is not an option. Cheers!

usb wireless dongle for ?10 from PC world

So how does that work then? I take it it picks up ma house wireless signal? Is it easy to use, whats the strength like? Sorry for all the questions mate, but i am a complete gimp re computers lol

The USB wireless dongle (or wireless card) on your computer will detect all the nearby networks and you then select the one you want to use, your one obviously, not your neighbour's. Don't forget to make it secure.

sounds easy enough to use.....and if the neighbour has not secured their connection then hard lines, mr sifter the wireless squatter is movin in lol

I have just bought a netbook for my other half, I already have bt wireless broadband in the house and all I had to do was take note of 16 digit number on back of router and put that into netbook and wireless was connected

Over Xmas 2 people brought their lap tops and we just again typed in the number and they were live and running

do not know if any help or not

I have just bought a netbook for my other half, I already have bt wireless broadband in the house and all I had to do was take note of 16 digit number on back of router and put that into netbook and wireless was connected

Over Xmas 2 people brought their lap tops and we just again typed in the number and they were live and running

do not know if any help or not

Thanks for the reply, but thats not guite what i meant. Sounds like your new laptop was wireless enabled. My 'new' computer is not. I need to know how to make it wireless, although the wireless dongle mentioned above sounds as if it will do the trick. Cheers..

usb wireless dongle for ?10 from PC world

Sorry to be a pain bud, could you get me a link for this? I am using ma mobile phone and tryin to find anything on it is a nightmare! Thanks mate.

Archived