If we do sign an out and out striker?

alwaysthereinspirit

alwaysthereinspirit

Do we continue playing the same formation? Hate the one up front. Believe Nade is better as a knock down/holding up type forward with another forward than holding up for midfielders coming through.

I think its a good question.

Csaba seems to favour this tactic too much to just change it, too play as a lone striker you need certain qualities and normally being a prolific goalscorer and these don't go hand in hand.

I can't see Nade being dropped or the tactics changing so whoever comes in will have to be a sub or push Aguiar back.

at this time I would be happy to leave a striker as come the summer our wage bill will be extremely lighter and we should have more options rather than a rush buy on cheaper money.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I think its a good question.

Csaba seems to favour this tactic too much to just change it, too play as a lone striker you need certain qualities and normally being a prolific goalscorer and these don't go hand in hand.

I can't see Nade being dropped or the tactics changing so whoever comes in will have to be a sub or push Aguiar back.

at this time I would be happy to leave a striker as come the summer our wage bill will be extremely lighter and we should have more options rather than a rush buy on cheaper money.

Are you for real?

Do you not want us to do anything of note this season?

Are you for real?

Agreed need someone in now.Could be the difference between 3rd and 5th.

Do we continue playing the same formation? Hate the one up front. Believe Nade is better as a knock down/holding up type forward with another forward than holding up for midfielders coming through.

If we go 4-4-2 we'll also have to change what we do in midfield, particularly in terms of the two wide players we currently play with.

We'd get over run in midfield playing just two in central midfield IMO and if we're playing 2 up front you either have to create chances for them from wide areas or play it long.

I'd rather play 4-5-1 with a forward thinking player supporting the striker. The overriding problem is that Nade is NOT the answer up there on his own (he will NEVER be the answer because he will NEVER have the pace to be the answer) so you either change the player in Nade's position (the easiest and cheapest option IMO) or you change the system to suit Nade and Glen (or another striker we havent signed yet.

This thread is better than D-McG's ;)

I do not see Laszlo changing his formation, which he will tell you has two up front (:rolleyes:) to two proper strikers. I feel we will simply look to sign replacements for Nade.

Are you for real?

I just don't think we are in the best position for recruiting the striker we need, we could get someone in no bother, I am just not convinced they will play often enough or fit into the tactics to justify it.

As long as Nade stays fit I cant see anyone else getting the nod, and I feel elliot and glen give us sufficient substitute options, as could Templeton.

In the summer we will hopefully have managed to bring in a couple of million, get rid of Makela, Basso and a few other high earners and for the first time in a while be in a position to expand the squad as we need it with less of the constraints caused by being saddled with too much deadweight.

If someone does come up in January then yes take them, I just dont think we should buy someone for the sake of it as although we are short up front we are managing to get by with it.

I also think the current squad even if we lose 1 or 2 players will finish 3rd or 4th and I dont think a new striker will change that anyway.

Nade is a good holder of the ball, I thnk if he gets an out and out goalscorer we are in for a goal fest

I just don't think we are in the best position for recruiting the striker we need, we could get someone in no bother, I am just not convinced they will play often enough or fit into the tactics to justify it.

As long as Nade stays fit I cant see anyone else getting the nod, and I feel elliot and glen give us sufficient substitute options, as could Templeton.

In the summer we will hopefully have managed to bring in a couple of million, get rid of Makela, Basso and a few other high earners and for the first time in a while be in a position to expand the squad as we need it with less of the constraints caused by being saddled with too much deadweight.

If someone does come up in January then yes take them, I just dont think we should buy someone for the sake of it as although we are short up front we are managing to get by with it.

I also think the current squad even if we lose 1 or 2 players will finish 3rd or 4th and I dont think a new striker will change that anyway.

We have already dropped points due to our scoring record. We are the 6th lowest goal scorers in the whole of Scotland.

And if Csaba isn't going to drop Nade or change it about then why has he been on record saying they have a list of 25 strikers they are looking at and we have shown interest in Porter? Do you think he's going to come for a seat on the bench? No chance.

A striker is a vital signing this window. Preferably before our next game.

We have already dropped points due to our scoring record. We are the 6th lowest goal scorers in the whole of Scotland.

And if Csaba isn't going to drop Nade or change it about then why has he been on record saying they have a list of 25 strikers they are looking at and we have shown interest in Porter? Do you think he's going to come for a seat on the bench? No chance.

A striker is a vital signing this window. Preferably before our next game.

A striker to play alongside Nade or instead of him though.

Bearing in mind that to play 4-4-2 you HAVE to take a player out of midfield.

No-one has ever come up with a 4 man midfield from our current squad who can provide the same level of protection for our defence AND ensure service to two strikers

We cant play 4-4-2 AND have two wide midfield players, so whats the answer in midfield ?

4-4-2 at home to Hamilton might work but we'd get murdered in midfield at places like Aberdeen and Tannadice. Is changing the system and the personnel every week to suit the oposition desirable ?

Yes, I think so.

What makes anyone think we are going to change they way we play?

as it is just now, the preferred system is any variation of the 4-5-1. the simple matter of it is that when this system is played, the goals will not come from the striker, they will invariably come from the midfielders and a few from defenders at set pieces. if an orthodox 4-4-2 is played then you would see more goals coming from the strikers.

do we sign a striker? of course we do, we have to. nade might get injured and we simply can't rely on elliot to perform the same role.

does it mean a change of formation? probably not. it means competition for nade and the rest.

if we were going to see a change to a 4-4-2 we would have seen it by now, it's not going to happen. the plus side is what happens at the other end because we have a tremendous player protecting the centre halfs in karipidis. right now we don't lose many goals and it would be a brave decision to compromise that.

A striker to play alongside Nade or instead of him though.

Bearing in mind that to play 4-4-2 you HAVE to take a player out of midfield.

No-one has ever come up with a 4 man midfield from our current squad who can provide the same level of protection for our defence AND ensure service to two strikers

We cant play 4-4-2 AND have two wide midfield players, so whats the answer in midfield ?

4-4-2 at home to Hamilton might work but we'd get murdered in midfield at places like Aberdeen and Tannadice. Is changing the system and the personnel every week to suit the oposition desirable ?

Take a leaf out of Burleys book?

We had Rudi and Hartley going forward and brought in a solid RM (Camazolla) and the midfield was a lot tighter.

Driver - Karipidis - Bruno - Solid/defensive right midfielder

Nade - Goal scoring striker (who can drop in if he must)

I can't see any other reason why we would be in the hunt for a striker. I would be disappointed if he dropped Nade for a new signing. He has got a lot to offer with a partner to help him.

We had Rudi and Hartley going forward and brought in a solid RM (Camazolla) and the midfield was a lot tighter.

I can't see any other reason why we would be in the hunt for a striker. I would be disappointed if he dropped Nade for a new signing. He has got a lot to offer with a partner to help him.

Eggert.

Personally think any striker we do sign will start off as a late sub for Nade and it will be upto them to score goals and displace Nade.

Don't think they have any intention of playing two strikers.

Porters been mentioned too, simply cannot see that happening as he obviously isnt inclined to stay in the SPL

I posted on D-McG's stonking thread:

"To be honest it depends on what kind of striker we get. If it is Porter or someone like him I reckon it would still be the same system with Aguiar playing off him.

If someone smaller, quicker for example I could see Csaba trying to fit him into the team along with Nade and Aguiar.

But to be fair I don't have a scooby."

I would also add that we could play Nade, new striker and Aguair in his "hole" position if we just forget about width. ie Stewart, Ruben and Kari in midfield, Aguiar in front of them but behind the two strikers. But that would mean leaving Driver out...unless he is sold.

Sorry but that midfield doesnt carry anything like the threat that Skacel and Hartley carried. We also had Brellier (a limited but effective player at one specific job) looking after the back door for them. We were beating teams then because our attacking threat from various players was so powerful. We simply dont have that kind of threat in our midfield

Camazola hardly ever played for Hearts and was a complete and utter disaster at Easter Road, the first time he was tested defensively.

We are in the hunt for a striker because NONE of the ones we have are capable of scoring goals in decent numbers, whether you play two of them or one of them.

that's right, nade has made the position his own. what he brings to the team effort is what we see, the hold up play, the flick ons, the wee runs into corners and turns and passes which bring others into the game. he's never going to score goals. it would be madness to drop nade right now. unfortunately some people only deal in goals and see nade as a 2-goal striker and judge him on that alone. it's ridiculous.

Sorry but that midfield doesnt carry anything like the threat that Skacel and Hartley carried. We also had Brellier (a limited but effective player at one specific job) looking after the back door for them. We were beating teams then because our attacking threat from various players was so powerful. We simply dont have that kind of threat in our midfield

Camazola hardly ever played for Hearts and was a complete and utter disaster at Eater Road, the first time he was tested defensively.

We are in the hunt for a striker because NONE of the ones we have are capable of scoring goals in decent numbers, whether you play two of them or one of them.

I'm well aware that it doesn't carry the same threat, however it's all about building a successful team and that is a possible way to go, imo.

You are not going to change your mind about 4-5-1 but you can't just dismiss other suggestions. There are definitely more ways to play and fit another striker in.

We can't go on forever sitting in against pish teams and winning by the odd goal. After a while you want to start controlling games and beating teams convincingly.

Our midfield are working so well right now that it would be risky to put them a man down.

IF we did go 4-4-2, it would have to be in a diamond with the guys on the wings tucking in, to make it basically a 4-1-3-2 formation on the defence and a 4-4-2 diamond going forward.

I'm well aware that it doesn't carry the same threat, however it's all about building a successful team and that is a possible way to go, imo.

You are not going to change your mind about 4-5-1 but you can't just dismiss other suggestions. There are definitely more ways to play and fit another striker in.

We can't go on forever sitting in against pish teams and winning by the odd goal. After a while you want to start controlling games and beating teams convincingly.

Seems to have been pretty much what Levein has done with his management career and it seems to work

Seems to have been pretty much what Levein has done with his management career and it seems to work

Oh aye he's certainly doing that at Dundee United. :mw_rolleyes:

He played with 2 strikers at Hearts as well and we pumped many teams. Including Hibs (5-1) and Dunfermline (7-1)

Csaba has and he is boss. If we sign another striker the system remains the same.

You can carry on dreaming about 4-4-2 but it is not going to happen.

On the contrary I am all for 4-4-2 and would prefer to see us aiming towards playing that as a default system.

But its not simply a case of dropping one from the midfield and putting an extra striker on. If it was that simple we'd have done it as soon as it became apparent we were suffering from lack of goal threat.

I wouldnt play 4-4-2 with our current midfield choices. In my opinion we are playing the correct system for the squad of players at our disposal and it wont change simply by signing one striker.

If we sign a couple of multi-skilled midfield players in the summer plus a couple of options up front then we might switch to 4-4-2. Until then we wont and shouldnt.

Oh aye he's certainly doing that at Dundee United. :mw_rolleyes:

He played with 2 strikers at Hearts as well and we pumped many teams. Including Hibs (5-1) and Dunfermline (7-1)

And lossed heavily almost every time we went to Ibrox or Parkhead

Csaba has and he is boss. If we sign another striker the system remains the same.

You can carry on dreaming about 4-4-2 but it is not going to happen.

Any quotes from him saying that?

If thats true there is no point going for strikers like Porter because they aren't going to sit on the bench or rotate with Nade.

May as well stick with Elliot and Mole who will be happy to be back up.

We would be comfortably 3rd by now if we had a goal scorer. Shame so many people are content to stick with what we've got.

IMO....

Eggert's a CH. And a damn good one.

I just don't see him at RM at all.

I think his best position is full back to be honest, but as temporary solution to shore up the midfield if we were to go 2 up top I think he's the sort of player to give some balance to the team on the right.

And lossed heavily almost every time we went to Ibrox or Parkhead

Many teams have lost heavily in Glasgow. What's your point?

A manager should be able to demonstrate tactical awareness and change tactics depending on the opposition. I'd be more than happy to play 4-5-1 in Glasgow. It makes sense.

Playing it at home to Hamilton? Na.

Guest jambomickey
IMO....

agreed! i'd play him there beside berra instead of zaliukas.

I would prefer it to work like this

Rangers and Celtic home and away 4-5-1

Hobos away 4-5-1

The rest of the teams 4-4-2

maybe 4-5-1 united and the dons depending on form away 4-5-1

PresidentRomanov

If we changed our formation, would we still be able to play someone in the hole? :laugh:

of course there's a point to buying a new striker like porter.

1. competition for nade.

2. how do we know nade is going to be here next season?

3. nade may get injured or suspended.

4. nade wont last every game for 90 mins.

5. if we're being pumped then csaba might decide to change the system later in a game.

madness. first we scream about signing a striker, now some folk are saying we don't need one after all. we do.

IMO....

Besides Berra maybe but not so sure as a direct replacement, his passing is what lets his game down, but its the SPL.

of course there's a point to buying a new striker like porter.

1. competition for nade.

2. how do we know nade is going to be here next season?

3. nade may get injured or suspended.

4. nade wont last every game for 90 mins.

5. if we're being pumped then csaba might decide to change the system later in a game.

madness. first we scream about signing a striker, now some folk are saying we don't need one after all. we do.

I never really meant it like that. I meant whats the point in approaching him, he wont come to sit on the bench.

Archived