Home grown......a first?

janie jones

All the defence that started today - Macdonald, Neilson, Jonnson, Berra and Thomson are all home grown players - one for the stattos but I doubt this has ever happenned before. Good to see IMO.

All the defence that started today - Macdonald, Neilson, Jonnson, Berra and Thomson are all home grown players - one for the stattos but I doubt this has ever happenned before. Good to see IMO.

Eggert has been here for a while but he is far from home grown tbh. However, I get the point. It is a good sign when we are bringing through our youngsters to first team standard.

Malcolm Tucker

They've all come through the youth system/ranks, and I think that's brilliant I really do. With Driver and Glen playing parts today as well, that's a really great statistic.

Was meaning the whole defence - back 5. James came from Falkirk.

In terms of Jonnson - I was referring to players that had came through the ranks.

So taken both those into consideration I'm not sure we have started a back five in recent times that have all came through the ranks?

It's happened before. Alot.

Murray James Pressely Naysmith

Since Romanov, maybe.

It may well have done but Pressley was not home grown, neither James.

What is even more pleasing is the fact that Macdonald started between the sticks and i think for his third start ( shoot me down if im wrong ) and that was his second clean sheet.

Eggert has been here for a while but he is far from home grown tbh. However, I get the point. It is a good sign when we are bringing through our youngsters to first team standard.

He's been here since he was 16 si I would say he is home grown, how many of our current youths were with the club at u12, u14 etc?

Also McGowan was here at the age of 16, does that mean he isn't home grown?

What is even more pleasing is the fact that Macdonald started between the sticks and i think for his third start ( shoot me down if im wrong ) and that was his second clean sheet.

yes, spot on

Had a good game too by all accounts

Was meaning the whole defence - back 5. James came from Falkirk.

In terms of Jonnson - I was referring to players that had came through the ranks.

So taken both those into consideration I'm not sure we have started a back five in recent times that have all came through the ranks?

I still disagree. Elias Wagner will not fall into that category either. Just because we sign them young (oooh errr!) doesn't make them home grown.

I still disagree. Elias Wagner will not fall into that category either. Just because we sign them young (oooh errr!) doesn't make them home grown.

I would say it does, irrespective of nationality.

I would say it does, irrespective of nationality.

Elias Wagner : Home grown by Admira Wacker, Hibs and Hearts. :mw_rolleyes:

We are in danger of getting into a pedantic debate which is unneccessary tbh. I have clarified what I meant. A whole back 5 that have came through the ranks that we sign a youth players. Wagner was at Hibs but all of todays starters to my knowledge started their professional career at Hearts.

Anyway hopefully we can agree its good to see and a clean sheet to boot.

HHGH

Malcolm Tucker

Jonsson is a lot like Neilson though, signed as a 15/16 year old then brought up through our youth system.

I say it makes them home-grown, but it doesn't really matter. The point made is still valid :)

I think UEFA definitions of home grown is just developed in Scotland, they have a seperate requirement for your own academy

:laugh:

Is that from some sort of rule book? :)

It is actually, the UEFA rulebook. You need to have 8 players from your youth system in a European squad, 4 from your own country I think. Youth system means any player from the U19s and below.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php/news/reuters/2005/04/22/sport/uefaadoptshome-grownpolicyfrom2006.html

Ahem -

'The problem was to devise a system that did not conflict with the EU’s eligibility laws as there are no longer any restrictions on player movement in Europe.

So, a young player of any nationality can be developed between the ages of 15 and 21 for three years as a junior and be eligible as a home-grown player.'

We are in danger of getting into a pedantic debate which is unneccessary tbh. I have clarified what I meant. A whole back 5 that have came through the ranks that we sign a youth players. Wagner was at Hibs but all of todays starters to my knowledge started their professional career at Hearts.

Anyway hopefully we can agree its good to see and a clean sheet to boot.

HHGH

I know, I know. I also attempted to sidestep the debate in my first post by stating that I saw what you meant and agreed with the general happiness. :)

Jonsson is a lot like Neilson though, signed as a 15/16 year old then brought up through our youth system.

I say it makes them home-grown, but it doesn't really matter. The point made is still valid :)

Again, I said that I felt it was valid, just that I disagreed with the statement that a player we signed from another club can be our home grown player.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php/news/reuters/2005/04/22/sport/uefaadoptshome-grownpolicyfrom2006.html

Ahem -

'The problem was to devise a system that did not conflict with the EU?s eligibility laws as there are no longer any restrictions on player movement in Europe.

So, a young player of any nationality can be developed between the ages of 15 and 21 for three years as a junior and be eligible as a home-grown player.'

Thank you.

The above states that such a rule was created purely to fall into line with the EU's laws and only to ease selection issues for European games. Seems that the term "home-grown" means "trained at the club for three years". By that rationale I concede that Jonsson is "home-grown" as he has trained with us for three years. :)

I know I'm being pedantic (and possibly even wrong) but is that not Jamie's first clean sheet. I think his 2 previous games were against Rangers, a 2 - 0defeat and a 2 - 1 victory.

Malcolm Tucker
Again, I said that I felt it was valid, just that I disagreed with the statement that a player we signed from another club can be our home grown player.

Indeed, and I said I felt both viewpoints explode into meaninglessness anyway because either way they have been here through the majority/entirety of their football career, and it's great to see. :tongue:

'Mon the Hearts :)

I know I'm being pedantic (and possibly even wrong) but is that not Jamie's first clean sheet. I think his 2 previous games were against Rangers, a 2 - 0defeat and a 2 - 1 victory.

Yes your right, I forgot the Kari OG

Yes your right, I forgot the Kari OG

It's great if he looks like another keeper we can rely on. We've had some cracking keepers over the years but some very dodgy backups.

It is good to see. Last season the youth set up was taking all sorts of flak but it is time they got a bit praise.

Archived