Hearts Discipline - not such a problem...

Spellczech

Am bored at work so did a little bit of stat reviewing on the results page on the BBC site:

In Hearts games this season up to the Cup derby:

Yellow cards:

Hearts: 36

Opposition: 47

Red cards

Hearts: 6

Opposition: 3

Games in which Hearts have had more yellows than oppostion: 7

Games in which Opposition have had more yellows than Hearts: 12

Games in which both teams have had same number of yellows: 4

Red card stats are out of proportion to the yellows...So how can this stack up?

...Is it that opposing teams are routinely kicking the carp out of Hearts, and Hearts players are seeing red for reacting?

...or are referees showing Hearts players red whereas they are more likely to let opposition players off with a yellow?

Lets face it here it's an easy money maker for the SFA.

I'm sure that it must be in their rules that they can double up fines year after year for bad behaviour until clubs learn the lesson, but can this really be justified? I've never even heard of a club getting these level of fines before and don't believe Hearts are the dirtiest team in the SPL by a long way.

How are Hearts supposed to prevent the players getting sent off when it's up to a SFA employee to hand out the cards?

The only way I can think about doing this is to tell the players that any fine given to the club by the SFA will be taken from their wages - but I am sure Fraser Wishart would have that on the back page of The Sun in under 2 seconds.

Ally Alexander

Spellcheck,

A comparison of fouls conceded may also be of interest. More interesting though would be the average number of fouls conceded before a player gets booked.

Spellcheck,

A comparison of fouls conceded may also be of interest. More interesting though would be the average number of fouls conceded before a player gets booked.

From what I can see, our players don't actually have to commit fouls at all to be booked or sent off. This has been going on for several years now. Rudi's first 5 bookings (IIRC) were all for celebrating goals - utterly ridiculous.

Am bored at work so did a little bit of stat reviewing on the results page on the BBC site:

In Hearts games this season up to the Cup derby:

Yellow cards:

Hearts: 36

Opposition: 47

Red cards

Hearts: 6

Opposition: 3

Games in which Hearts have had more yellows than oppostion: 7

Games in which Opposition have had more yellows than Hearts: 12

Games in which both teams have had same number of yellows: 4

Red card stats are out of proportion to the yellows...So how can this stack up?

...Is it that opposing teams are routinely kicking the carp out of Hearts, and Hearts players are seeing red for reacting?

...or are referees showing Hearts players red whereas they are more likely to let opposition players off with a yellow?

my goodness is there no end to the fish related issues:108years:

stats can tell some of the story but what they don't tell you is that, IMO, some referees are applying the laws of the game against hearts with extreme zeal, while showing a degree of leniency against whichever team we are playing.

certain players are routinely given 6-7 fouls before they are shown a yellow for persistent fouling, while some of our players have been issued with one after 1, 2 or 3. i have even seen referees indicate around the field to show that the yellow has been given for persistent fouling when in fact the player has made his first foul.

whatever the reasons are behind it, it happens.

Not surprising but interesting to have it confirmed.

I don't suppose you'd have the time to count the fouls for and against?

I seem to remember that when someone did this before, in a previous season, they found that more fouls were committed against us than by us. That's what it feels like at most games anyway (but then I mainly go to home games).

Other than Zaliukas at Aberdeen which Brines got completely wrong, can any of the other red cards this season be said to be unjustified?

The TV pictures didn't pick up Stewart at St Mirren, so maybe that one? How many of the other 4?

Other than Zaliukas at Aberdeen which Brines got completely wrong, can any of the other red cards this season be said to be unjustified?

The TV pictures didn't pick up Stewart at St Mirren, so maybe that one? How many of the other 4?

Off the top of my head, the sending off against Celtic. The rule is quite simple. The defending player in committing the foul must prevent a clear goalscoring chance. In my book, it is not a clear goalscoring chance if the keeper is 75:25 favourite to get to the ball before the attacking player. That was the case in the Celtic game and therfore, it should only have been a booking.

So there we are - 50% of our red cards have been suspect to say the least.

While the second yellow cards received by Miko and Wallace were correct, I think it is fair to say that the first cards each received were never bookings in a million years and certainly would not have been handed out to players of other teams.

Hearts Heritage

In general Csaba Laszlo has instilled a far better discipline. Players in general aren't getting booked for 'stupid' things like backchat, goal celebrations compared to the last couple of seasons. And CL has been 'hooking' players before the 2nd yellow comes out.

We know there are certain refs that do have a 'black spot' re Hearts.

Archived