Hobo GK Howlers.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

In what must be very distressing times for them, it's nice that the guys on Trout.net took the time to compile a definitive guide to hobo goalkeeping errors against Hearts in the last few years.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=140053

It's actually quite startling when you see just how many erse up's they've made against us.

Again guys, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

:108years:

In what must be very distressing times for them, it's nice that the guys on Trout.net took the time to compile a definitive guide to hobo goalkeeping errors against Hearts in the last few years.

It's actually quite startling when you see just how many erse up's they've made against us.

Quality,but i can't believe not one of them has mentioned Leighton,he had a few howlers against us and john burridge at tynie when Robbo scored.

There's no self-flagellation quite like Hibernian self-flagellation, it seems. The bit that amused me was they don't seem to have grasped that, however good Glen's finish was, Szamotulski made a flump of himself for our second too!

Old Man Budgie, when Baird scored with a diving header. The ball was 2 feet of the deck and it still managed to squirm over his shoulder:laugh:

Chad Sexington
Quality,but i can't believe not one of them has mentioned Leighton,he had a few howlers against us and john burridge at tynie when Robbo scored.

No mention of Fatty Rough either.

I seem to recall him in headless chicken mode at the edge of his box allowing Robbo (or was it JC? :dozey:) to score into an empty net.

Drylaw Hearts

One of them jokingly suggests a DVD of Hobo Goalie Howlers.

I think it would have to be a 4 disc effort.

Francis Albert
The bit that amused me was they don't seem to have grasped that, however good Glen's finish was, Szamotulski made a flump of himself for our second too!

Just read the Scotsman's match report yesterday which put the second goal down to a goal keeping blunder comparable to Makalambay's, with no credit for Glen's run, Karapidis pass, and Glen's superb first touch. Apparently the keeper shouldn't have come out because someone else (who must have made himself invisible) was covering Glen's run. Much as I enjoy mocking Hibs keepers and am in favour of doing everything to undermine their confidence, I don't thing goalkeeping error coontrinbuted much to G;len's goal.

Chad Sexington
Just read the Scotsman's match report yesterday which put the second goal down to a goal keeping blunder comparable to Makalambay's, with no credit for Glen's run, Karapidis pass, and Glen's superb first touch. Apparently the keeper shouldn't have come out because someone else (who must have made himself invisible) was covering Glen's run. Much as I enjoy mocking Hibs keepers and am in favour of doing everything to undermine their confidence, I don't thing goalkeeping error coontrinbuted much to G;len's goal.

I concur.

He may have committed himself a little early, but it was great play from Hearts.

Glen's run and first touch were superb.

It barely registers on the flap-o-meter when compared to some of the classic moments over the years.

I disagree. The biggest single factor, of course, was Hibs' central defender (Jones?) being way up the park in search of an equaliser; but if the keeper hadn't come out, Glen would have had a lot more to do. Chad's right in that it barely compares to all manner of blunders we've seen over the years, though.

No mention of Fatty Rough either.

I seem to recall him in headless chicken mode at the edge of his box allowing Robbo (or was it JC? :dozey:) to score into an empty net.

It was Robbo mate who scored, early in the 87/88 season.

In fact that game, in which we won 1-0 was the 17th (and sadly last) game unbeaten against them. They won the next one at ER; their first win of the 80s. A year and a half later, '22 in a row' began.

This post was sponsored by The Open University's statistics dept.

Buffalo Bill

I would definitely buy a copy, it would be fantastic :laugh:

Chad Sexington

In fact that game, in which we won 1-0 was the 17th (and sadly last) game unbeaten against them. They won the next one at ER; their first win of the 80s. A year and a half later, '22 in a row' began.

Buffalo Bill

Yeah, remember it more clearly now mate.

Fatty Rough was majestic that day.

I just remember him totally out of position, almost running the length of the 18 yard box like a floundering fool, chasing after a ball he was never going to get.

He set the benchmark that today's hobo goalkeepers must aspire to.

VFW%20Salute.jpg

If they can sucessfully blame the keeper for a balls up then the rest of the team couldn't be at fault so keeping the myth about the hibernian galacticos alive:108years:

Out of interest, and not having been around at the time, was Goram always flawless against us? I know about the famous 3-1 win in which he was so good the Hearts fans ended up cheering him; but did he ever make any blunders at all?

I think we should give every opposing goalkeeper the same amount of stick we give Hibs keepers at matches. The thought of making a mistake is enough to make someone make a mistake. We'd be quids in.

Chad Sexington
Out of interest, and not having been around at the time, was Goram always flawless against us? I know about the famous 3-1 win in which he was so good the Hearts fans ended up cheering him; but did he ever make any blunders at all?

He was incredible that game.

I was right behind the goals at the school end and couldn't believe some of the saves he pulled off.

One save from a point blank Crabbe volley was absolutely stunning.

He saved them from a serious doing that day.

He was incredible that game.

I was right behind the goals at the school end and couldn't believe some of the saves he pulled off.

One save from a point blank Crabbe volley was absolutely stunning.

He saved them from a serious doing that day.

Utter lunatic of an individual, but an awesome goalkeeper. Best Scottish keeper ever, quite possibly. Other than his mistake with Adam's goal in the '98 final, I'm struggling to recall any major errors he made at all.

Goram made two errors in the Jan 2nd 1991 game at ER.

Firstly, he let a 30 trundler from Tosh get past him, and then he had a meltdown to chase a hopeless ball that Gary MacKay ended up sticking in his net.

Throw in another couple of from Big Davie and Levein and you have a classic Derby pumping.

Buffalo Bill

Goram let in plenty of soft goals against Hearts over the years.

Perhaps none more than in his first game at Tynecastle as a Rangers player, Aug 17th 1991.

Buffalo Bill

Chad Sexington

Perhaps none more than in his first game at Tynecastle as a Rangers player, Aug 17th 1991.

Buffalo Bill

Was that the Scott Crabbe 40 yarder, IIRC?

Goram made two errors in the Jan 2nd 1991 game at ER.

Firstly, he let a 30 trundler from Tosh get past him, and then he had a meltdown to chase a hopeless ball that Gary MacKay ended up sticking in his net.

Throw in another couple of from Big Davie and Levein and you have a classic Derby pumping.

Buffalo Bill

Wouldn't blame him for the first, as Willie Miller dummied it about 10 yards from goal. soft shot but no really Fattie's fault. The Mackay one was a mistake.

I recall Goram letting in a Robbo free-kick that was very saveable.

don't mind that one, what game? I remember Bryan Gunn letting in a free kick that was right down the middle of the goals. come to think of it, was it at Easter Road and low round the wall in about 93 or 94?

Drylaw Hearts
don't mind that one, what game? I remember Bryan Gunn letting in a free kick that was right down the middle of the goals. come to think of it, was it at Easter Road and low round the wall in about 93 or 94?

That sounds about right.

Francis Albert
I disagree. The biggest single factor, of course, was Hibs' central defender (Jones?) being way up the park in search of an equaliser; but if the keeper hadn't come out, Glen would have had a lot more to do. Chad's right in that it barely compares to all manner of blunders we've seen over the years, though.

Put it this way. For Glen's goal to make it onto a DVD of great Hibby goalkeeping blunders, you'd need something the size of the Complete Sopranos box set.

That sounds about right.

thinking about it, I think it was earlier than that. Was it the game Mickey Weir scored in for them and Robbo got the winner with a header right after half time? also the day Neil Berry crippled Paul Wright.

March 1990 I think.

Buffalo Bill

You really, really loved that half a season, didn't you? You always speak about it with real reverence, it seems to me. Strange how we could've had such a strong side yet it all just faded away. Had three points for a win applied that year, we would've had 66 points from 28 games, which is frankly awesome - and would've ended up on 90 from 44, which is very, very good going. Our best in the modern era, in fact.

Must've been later than that: '98 I'd have thought. Circa 93/4, he was in the form of his life at Carrow Road.

Must've been later than that: '98 I'd have thought. Circa 93/4, he was in the form of his life at Carrow Road.

my fault, mixed messages from the post. Gunn's one was the game at Easter Road in 98 just before we won the cup and they were relegated. The Goram one was March 1990, yet another game in which the destroyer scored against Hibs. twice.

Francis Albert

More seriously than my last reply, I struggle to see how it can be described as a blunder at all. If he'd stayed back, Glen would still have been clean through one-on-one with the goalkeeper and more time. When he came out, if Glen's first touch hadn't been so good (if say it had been of similar quality to Fletcher's when he was clean through on an advancing Balogh) there is every chance the keeper would have brought off what everyone would have described as a great save.

More seriously than my last reply, I struggle to see how it can be described as a blunder at all. If he'd stayed back, Glen would still have been clean through one-on-one with the goalkeeper and more time. When he came out, if Glen's first touch hadn't been so good (if say it had been of similar quality to Fletcher's when he was clean through on an advancing Balogh) there is every chance the keeper would have brought off what everyone would have described as a great save.

Maybe. My instinct is that he came out too far: about halfway between the goal and where he ended up would've been about right, I think. All just supposition really though.

my fault, mixed messages from the post. Gunn's one was the game at Easter Road in 98 just before we won the cup and they were relegated. The Goram one was March 1990, yet another game in which the destroyer scored against Hibs. twice.

Ah, cool. Gunny had lost it completely by '98 - or a couple of years earlier, to be more accurate. I couldn't believe it when Hibs signed him. No, scrap that: I could certainly believe it when Hibs signed him! :D

Shaun, yes 1991/92 was fantastic from Aug - Jan and we were a very good team; although nowhere near as pretty on the eye as the other great seasons we love. Strangely, I think it's somehow 'forgotten' a bit on here. 'Powerful', is how I'd describe us back then. Of course, it all went Pete Tong and we ended up playing out the season in front of 5,000 fans.

Deigo, I still think Goram was at fault, but yes Miller lifted his leg like a dog up against a lampost.

Chad, Crabbe's "40 yarder" from 20 yards out was indeed the goal that I meant! :tongue:

Buffalo Bill

Chad Sexington

Chad, Crabbe's "40 yarder" from 20 yards out was indeed the goal that I meant! :tongue:

Buffalo Bill

Come on, it was at least 30 yards. :tongue:

Even after years of jazz cigarettes and cheap lager, I can remember that much. :mw_rolleyes:

Come on, it was at least 30 yards. :tongue:

Even after years of jazz cigarettes and cheap lager, I can remember that much. :mw_rolleyes:

Might have to bet you ten press-ups buddy.

I'm quite sure you'll be right though. Remember 'Magical Mystery Tour'? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Buffalo Bill

Chad Sexington
Might have to bet you ten press-ups buddy.

I'm quite sure you'll be right though. Remember 'Magical Mystery Tour'? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Buffalo Bill

jose-and-boris.jpg

That was the best ever goalkeeping display I have witnessed,Crabo just held his head in his hands after one unbelievable save.

The guy was truly world class.

That was the best ever goalkeeping display I have witnessed,Crabo just held his head in his hands after one unbelievable save.

The guy was truly world class.

One of my all-time favourite games played out on a mild spring afternoon. Hearts scoring three goals in the space of about 10 minutes. Great times in The Shed.

Levein

Wright

Tortolano

Robbo

Man of the Match: Mr A Goram

Asked how he felt after the game about Gorman's performance, Scott Crabbe - who never scored for Hearts aganst Hibs, said that he was "nearly greetin".

On another day, it could've been 6 or 7-1; and only league reconstruction saved the Hibernians from relegation.

Buffalo Bill

Shaun, yes 1991/92 was fantastic from Aug - Jan and we were a very good team; although nowhere near as pretty on the eye as the other great seasons we love. Strangely, I think it's somehow 'forgotten' a bit on here. 'Powerful', is how I'd describe us back then. Of course, it all went Pete Tong and we ended up playing out the season in front of 5,000 fans.

Deigo, I still think Goram was at fault, but yes Miller lifted his leg like a dog up against a lampost.

Buffalo Bill

Eoin Jess finished that season for us.

What a performance from him that day when Aberdeen hammered us in January 92. It all crumbled after that.

The poster "Carlsberg" over there is either an undercover Jambo with a lot of posts or needs help. First he wants a link to Brown's mistake at Tynie and then asks for a definitive list of Derby ******-ups!

Buffalo Bill

I take it Roughie never played in the next game they won that you mention.

If memory serves me right i don't think he played in a winning team against us.

Hence why he is a bitter fat b******.

I take it Roughie never played in the next game they won that you mention.

If memory serves me right i don't think he played in a winning team against us.

Correct.

Buffalo Bill

No blunders that I can recall but he didn't win many derby games.

I thought the one at ER when levein headers it down towards goal and robbo trys to hook it in but doesn't manage to touch it was a bit of a howler.

Cheers mate,out of interest who was their keeper that day?.

Some punk called Andy Goram.

Buffalo Bill

90_goals_against_hibs_dvd_thumb.jpg

It's already out and it has all the classics except those at the weekend.

my fault, mixed messages from the post. Gunn's one was the game at Easter Road in 98 just before we won the cup and they were relegated.

Robbo's last of many against the wee team, it's sad when you see it again as when he's celebrating it's as if he knows it

One of my all-time favourite games played out on a mild spring afternoon. Hearts scoring three goals in the space of about 10 minutes. Great times in The Shed.

Levein

Wright

Tortolano

Robbo

Man of the Match: Mr A Goram

Asked how he felt after the game about Gorman's performance, Scott Crabbe - who never scored for Hearts aganst Hibs, said that he was "nearly greetin".

On another day, it could've been 6 or 7-1; and only league reconstruction saved the Hibernians from relegation.

Buffalo Bill

We had our supporters club dance that night,George Wright was quite sheepish about his goal after Gorams performance,Crabbo just didn't want to talk about it.

I'm too young to remember properly but surely Leighton had a few as well.

Did Mickey not lob him from 30 yards after a dodgy kick out?

Archived