31rst Jan self assessment deadline

jambopompey

with the deadline of 31rst of Jan for online self assessment and paying tax due, how soon do you get a tax refund, filed my first one a few days ago and was informed i paid far too much tax and will be due a refund, just wondering how long that takes to come through, or is it wait till the end of this tax year, even though you have to pay any outstanding tax by the deadline date.

Daydream Believer

You won't have to wait till the end of the tax year because the return you submitted was for last year. As soon as the return is logged a refund will go out and it'll be checked later. I imagine it'll be quicker if you did it online, but it shouldn't take more than a few weeks either way. I don't think there's much in the way of backlogs for the paper copies.

i found the online system easy to use, i did get the paper one, which i tried to fill out but thought sod that, the online does give a hand in filling it out and when you don't fill in parts correct, also at the end it did state how much more i had paid in tax for the year, i chopped from self employed and being on the books (hit with basic tax rate for a while).

no doubt i missed out on a few more benefits that would have increased my refund, but from what im due back im happy with that amount.

Midloth_Iain

I got a refund within days (you give them your bank account details).

Only problem was they then stung me for some previous unpaid tax, so having spent the refund I was soon to be ?350 out of pocket.

Gits :mad::mw_rolleyes:

Archived