windows update virus

Tynecastle Valhalla

Tynecastle Valhalla

i was asked to update windows using a microsoft update which all looked genuine.

i dowloaded it and now the internet doesnt work.

unfortunately my anti virus protection norton ran out at the end of last year !

has anyone else experienced this and if so has it been resolved?

A poster(sorry) suggested I use malwarebytes to clear everything like that up and it worked perfectly.

Google and download that.

Although I am going to ask how you managed to post on an internet forum with internet which doesnt work?:P

Tynecastle Valhalla
A poster(sorry) suggested I use malwarebytes to clear everything like that up and it worked perfectly.

Google and download that.

Although I am going to ask how you managed to post on an internet forum with internet which doesnt work?:P

Thanks, advice is appreciated.

the problem is on my home laptop. i am at work on a pc.

how did you download it on google if the net wasnt working?

could potetnially download it to a disk/cd?!

Sexton Hardcastle

Norton is horse. Dont go anywere near it. Sack it and get one of the free avg's or sumin.

Try restoring your pc to before you did the updates. Mite work.

i was asked to update windows using a microsoft update which all looked genuine.

i dowloaded it and now the internet doesnt work.

unfortunately my anti virus protection norton ran out at the end of last year !

has anyone else experienced this and if so has it been resolved?

How were you asked to update windows - was it while you were surfing on a particular web site?

What operating system do you use?

What do you mean by the internet not working?

Download it on the pc and put it on a memory stick to move across. I did that as the problem was on my dads PC.

Its a small file, install it and run it.

Thanks, advice is appreciated.

the problem is on my home laptop. i am at work on a pc.

how did you download it on google if the net wasnt working?

could potetnially download it to a disk/cd?!

You want to download Malwarebytes plus an anti-virus like AVG (http://free.avg.com/) and possibly also SuperAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/) and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free (http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=adaxis.net) and then either burn them to a CD or put them on a memory stick. You then insert the CD/memory stick into your laptop at home and run these setup programs (assuming that the problem isn't deeper than it sounds) to install the programs. You then do a complete check of your laptop for malware using each of these programs in turn.

Tynecastle Valhalla
How were you asked to update windows - was it while you were surfing on a particular web site?

What operating system do you use?

What do you mean by the internet not working?

from memory it was a box that appeared on the desktop. i checked at the bottom right on the windows updates icon and it said i needed to install 2 updates. i then assumed it would be fine and downloaded the update. it took absolutely ages to do and then restarted my computer automatically.

i have windows vista on my laptop.

when i open up internet explorer there is an error message saying that internet is not working or connecting - the usual messgae when it doesnt work....

apparently someone's parents at my work have the same problem with the same outcome.

from memory it was a box that appeared on the desktop. i checked at the bottom right on the windows updates icon and it said i needed to install 2 updates. i then assumed it would be fine and downloaded the update. it took absolutely ages to do and then restarted my computer automatically.

i have windows vista on my laptop.

when i open up internet explorer there is an error message saying that internet is not working or connecting - the usual messgae when it doesnt work....

apparently someone's parents at my work have the same problem with the same outcome.

Usually when the wee yellow shield icon is displayed at the bottom RHS then it means that Windows has already downloaded update(s) and just needs to install it/them. There may be a little notification window in that area letting you know about this but not a big window on screen.

If it's a genuine problem with an update then you can try restoring the system (search Help for "System Restore") to an earlier point before the downloads were installed. However I'd still recommend that you do a full check for malware in any case.

weaversknowe jambo

I had the same problem when I installed WinXP Service pack 3. To resolve it, all I had to do was to uninstall the update.

Archived