Whose been to Cancun?

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

Just looking for some advice. Me and the missus fancy it and after looking at countless sites i'm just curious as to where everybody stayed and what you thought of the place.

Do i want to stay near to Cancun itself or go for something a bit more secluded? Is all inclusive a must? Is there anything i need to know?

Cheers in advance folks!

Drew Busby !
Just looking for some advice. Me and the missus fancy it and after looking at countless sites i'm just curious as to where everybody stayed and what you thought of the place.

Do i want to stay near to Cancun itself or go for something a bit more secluded? Is all inclusive a must? Is there anything i need to know?

Cheers in advance folks!

I'm sure you'll get mixed responses on this one mate. We went there on honeymoon in the mid-1990's. Lot more good than bad to be had there in my opinion. It's (if I recall correctly) a man made peninsula basically created to build hotels on. In saying that, the hotels were fantastic. The beach is a (very) narrow strip but waters crystal clear. Lots of americans there obviously (it's their Tenerife I guess) but that also means that standards of service in bars & restaurants are high. If I had any advice, see if you can also spend a few days elsewhere. We spent a few days in nearby Cozumel (less developed at that time). And obviously you have to make time to see the Mayan ruins. I'd give it the big thumbs up !

400 miles down the coast mate, into Belize an stay on L'isla Bonita (San Pedro) still touristy but you would hire a condo and ur much closer to the barrier reef for scuba, snorkeling and fishing. I fly out next month, Belize itself is an amazing country to see, lots of Mayan sites to visit amazing jungle lodges to visit if it takes your fancy.

We are going for 3 weeks, 10 nights in San Pedro 7 nights on another island that has been turned into a golf course that has 20 villas on it then up into the jungle for a bit of an adventure.

Just a bit of a curve ball for ya.

jack D and coke
I'm sure you'll get mixed responses on this one mate. We went there on honeymoon in the mid-1990's. Lot more good than bad to be had there in my opinion. It's (if I recall correctly) a man made peninsula basically created to build hotels on. In saying that, the hotels were fantastic. The beach is a (very) narrow strip but waters crystal clear. Lots of americans there obviously (it's their Tenerife I guess) but that also means that standards of service in bars & restaurants are high. If I had any advice, see if you can also spend a few days elsewhere. We spent a few days in nearby Cozumel (less developed at that time). And obviously you have to make time to see the Mayan ruins. I'd give it the big thumbs up !

400 miles down the coast mate, into Belize an stay on L'isla Bonita (San Pedro) still touristy but you would hire a condo and ur much closer to the barrier reef for scuba, snorkeling and fishing. I fly out next month, Belize itself is an amazing country to see, lots of Mayan sites to visit amazing jungle lodges to visit if it takes your fancy.

We are going for 3 weeks, 10 nights in San Pedro 7 nights on another island that has been turned into a golf course that has 20 villas on it then up into the jungle for a bit of an adventure.

Just a bit of a curve ball for ya.

Magic guys thanks for that. I hadn't really though about doing a bit of exploring but i'll give that some thought. Not done the scuba diving for a few years as well. I haven't really had a bad report about Mexico tbh.:thumb:

Where have you been, so that I can start up a thread for you?

Nowhere really, I'm a boring fart to be honest who spends his time posting stupid replies on chat forums in the misconception that it means I have a life

excuse me while I curl into a ball in the corner and cry myself to sleep

'sob'

Nowhere really, I'm a boring fart to be honest who spends his time posting stupid replies on chat forums in the misconception that it means I have a life

excuse me while I curl into a ball in the corner and cry myself to sleep

'sob'

:placate:

Cheers in advance folks!

Mate, you want to stay in the Crown Paradise Hotel in Cancun right beside the beach. It is a five-star all inclusive hotel with a number of different restaurants and was easily my best ever holiday.

The variety of food and drink was unbelievable and you can't beat the on-tap Corona for free. :D It was fantastic.

Go to Crown Paradise!!! :)

http://www.crownparadise.com/cancun/crown/index.html

I loved Mexico! We stayed a bit outside Cancun (about 2 hours from the Airport) in a place called Puerto Aventuras, a lovely complex with marina and all, restaurants etc. All inclusive, I'd recommend it to anyone, i think they're great!

We only went to Cancun for a day trip (to swim with Dolphins) so i don't know too much about it, but i do know it's a busy place (i dont know whether you want that or not), and what Marbella is for the English, Cancun is for the Yanks. They're everywhere. So if you don't like loud annoying Americans (who doesn't!) you may want to think twice about staying inside Cancun. Definately go to Mexico though, it's got everything you want, weather, culture and amazing scenery.

siegementality
I loved Mexico! We stayed a bit outside Cancun (about 2 hours from the Airport) in a place called Puerto Aventuras, a lovely complex with marina and all, restaurants etc. All inclusive, I'd recommend it to anyone, i think they're great!

We only went to Cancun for a day trip (to swim with Dolphins) so i don't know too much about it, but i do know it's a busy place (i dont know whether you want that or not), and what Marbella is for the English, Cancun is for the Yanks. They're everywhere. So if you don't like loud annoying Americans (who doesn't!) you may want to think twice about staying inside Cancun. Definately go to Mexico though, it's got everything you want, weather, culture and amazing scenery.

Why did you go to Cancun to swim with the dolphins? Puerta Aventuras has it's own place at the marina.

iamcraigbeattie

i was over in Cancun last year. Stayed at the Rui Cancun. One of the best holidays ive ever been on. All really depends on ehat your looking for. Cancun - hotel zone is very touristy and is heavily focussued on nightlife.

Ive got a cancun guide on pdf somewhere on my laptop. Ill see if i can find it and ill email it accross.

Why did you go to Cancun to swim with the dolphins? Puerta Aventuras has it's own place at the marina.

Because we wanted to go to Cancun for the day.

We're looking at getting out of the Euro zone for holidays this year...

How pricey is Cancun? What sort of costs for a couple over 2 weeks?

I went to Cancun with my mates for Spring Break in 2007 - now THAT was an experience! Got kilted up and spent the week literally beating hot, horny American college chicks away with a stick! (Although that's not especially relevant to your question!! ;) )

There is about 100 hotels in Cancun all right on the beach. (If you don't know, Cancun is a tiny strip of land bordered by the Carribbean and an inland lagoon.)

By far the best hotel we seen was called the Maxim, absolutely beautiful it was - went there for a party.

The Dolphin place we went to was called Discovery Cove or something like that IIRC, got to swim with manatees and stuff as well.

In terms of price, we got all-inclusive, 3-star hotel for 700 each for a week in March.

HTH

Graeme

me and my wife stayed at the moon palace to the southern end of cancun and is easily the best hotel in cancun for me as it has its own private beach a golf course a night club and lots of gr8 restaraunts and also has a regular bus that takes u to its sister hotels in cancun which are also free for u to use.

me and my wife stayed at the moon palace to the southern end of cancun and is easily the best hotel in cancun for me as it has its own private beach a golf course a night club and lots of gr8 restaraunts and also has a regular bus that takes u to its sister hotels in cancun which are also free for u to use.

Was that pricey Begbie?

Ally Alexander

Has a week there in October followed by a week in Merida. . Cancun was too touristy for me. We went over to the Isla Mujeres - small and peaceful.

I enjoyed Merida far more than Cancun.

Can recommend Mexico. Any of the Mayan sites are well worth a visit but don't get a guide. Far too expensive.

generally Mexico was not expensive but not as cheap as one would expect. Food was excellent.

Sexton Hardcastle

My sister works out there. She used to work for Thomson but left and is now working in some hotel as a wedding advisor or something. If you need anything about hotels/trips am sure shed be happy to help out.

If you're going to Mexico i suggest Acapulco as a great holiday, i went there on Honeymoon it was the dogs danglies. Plenty of quality restaurants and bars as well as cliff divers and not to long a trip from white water rafting and the shotover jet.

heartschick14
i was over in Cancun last year. Stayed at the Rui Cancun. One of the best holidays ive ever been on. All really depends on ehat your looking for. Cancun - hotel zone is very touristy and is heavily focussued on nightlife.

Ive got a cancun guide on pdf somewhere on my laptop. Ill see if i can find it and ill email it accross.

Is that hotel good? I'm going there in July. Read some mixed reviews....Whats the food and drink like too?

Moon palace is amazing, was over there 3 years ago for my sisters wedding, probably the best hotel in the region. Its just far away enough that its nice and quiet, cancun is 10-15 mins away on the bus.

http://www.palaceresorts.com/resorts/moonpalace/index.asp

Governor Tarkin
Dunno about Cancun, but they wanted me to go to Rehab, and I said, 'No, No, No.'

Do you not need 6 months in quarentine before entering a foreign country? :tongue:

Has a week there in October followed by a week in Merida. . Cancun was too touristy for me. We went over to the Isla Mujeres - small and peaceful.

I enjoyed Merida far more than Cancun.

Totally agree Ally, Cancun is ok but not any different from any built up holiday resort really. Isla Mujeres has more of a relaxed backpacker feel and is just off the coast. You can get a ferry there for next to nowt and become a qualified scuba diver for under 50 quid. The food is great and inexpensive, the beer is cold, the 'devils dandruff' is as cheap as chips (cheaper actually), and the local exotic tobacco is both plentiful and powerful. Tulum just down the coast is more secluded as well and they even have Mayan ruins on the beach. It's only a taxi journey away from Playa Del Carmen too if you fancy something more lively. Merida defo worth a visit too. The main square is lovely and the Mexicans have a wicked sense of humour once you get away from all the American hang outs.

Get yourself over there :)

Spent a couple of weeks in Playa del Carmen. Not too far from Cancun. Smaller town, beautiful beaches, and lots of transportation to other spots, Cancun,Mayan Ruins, Cozumel although I didn't go there it is a short boat ride away, it is a popular cruise ship destination.

Hurricane season.

The weather could be very very bad.

Thought that. Well egypt looks my best bet with Brazil in Jan.

Hurricane season.

The weather could be very very bad.

I've been in October and the weather was terrific. I've also been in May when we caught the tail end of a hurricane (can't remember the name) which hit Florida. Was a bit windy for a few days. If your going to a tropical country I think you just have to hope for the best.

Thought that. Well egypt looks my best bet with Brazil in Jan.

I travelled through Southern Mexico in October a few years ago. Fantastic holiday with unbelievably good food - great places to visit in San Christobal, Palenque, all the Aztec and Mayan ruins such as Teotihuacan and Chitzen Itza, the markets in Merida, the huge Olmec heads from an ancient civilisation, Mole ***** (chicken in chocolate sauce) in Oaxaca etc. Driving around isn't the easiest of things to do (we absolutely hammered our hire car with all the mountainous driving and the topes on the roads), but the Yucutan is absolutely flat as a pancake with straight roads.

But we had planned to finish our trip with diving in Cozumel. We caught the tail end of the hurricane, meant no diving on that coast (and no swimming with the manatees either) - so had to boot it over to the other coast to Veracruz to get some diving.

jack D and coke
Mate, you want to stay in the Crown Paradise Hotel in Cancun right beside the beach. It is a five-star all inclusive hotel with a number of different restaurants and was easily my best ever holiday.

The variety of food and drink was unbelievable and you can't beat the on-tap Corona for free. :D It was fantastic.

Go to Crown Paradise!!! :)

http://www.crownparadise.com/cancun/crown/index.html

That looks amazing. Keeping that one in mind.

If you could mate that would be sound.

I'll check that one out too, cheers!

If you're going to Mexico i suggest Acapulco as a great holiday, i went there on Honeymoon it was the dogs danglies. Plenty of quality restaurants and bars as well as cliff divers and not to long a trip from white water rafting and the shotover jet.

Hadn't even gave Acapulco a thought.

I travelled through Southern Mexico in October a few years ago. Fantastic holiday with unbelievably good food - great places to visit in San Christobal, Palenque, all the Aztec and Mayan ruins such as Teotihuacan and Chitzen Itza, the markets in Merida, the huge Olmec heads from an ancient civilisation, Mole ***** (chicken in chocolate sauce) in Oaxaca etc. Driving around isn't the easiest of things to do (we absolutely hammered our hire car with all the mountainous driving and the topes on the roads), but the Yucutan is absolutely flat as a pancake with straight roads.

But we had planned to finish our trip with diving in Cozumel. We caught the tail end of the hurricane, meant no diving on that coast (and no swimming with the manatees either) - so had to boot it over to the other coast to Veracruz to get some diving.

Would love to do that but dont reckon she'd be up for it. Bit of a sun worshipper.

That looks amazing. Keeping that one in mind.

;) Good man. Can I come as well?

:laugh:

Keep us posted which one you choose.

jack D and coke
;) Good man. Can I come as well?

:laugh:

Keep us posted which one you choose.

Bit of a downer man there doesn't appear to be any availability for June, July or August:mad:

Just out of interest how much did it cost you and where did you fly from? If you dont mind me asking that is buddy?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived