Future Maroon ?

CJGJ

In amongst all the fun and games today we should be happy about one thing ---

We have a group of youngsters -- some in the team and some in the squad that will improve.

Thomson when he was on was excellent

Jonsson -- great performance -- whatever position.

Glen -- signs of promise and looked a threat at times

Wallace -- has come on leaps and bounds this season

Driver -- has all the attributes to become a very good player.

Brown, Rapnik, McGowan,Templeton -- all showings signs that next season will be the one for them.

And a few more even younger --- of course not all will hit the heights (though if they did for a couple of years we would have some team until they were sold) -- but signs at this moment are good for the future.

Not viewing with maroon tinted glasses -- I just think we have a group that may well produce a few excellent players.

At this moment though we need the older, stronger players to supplement them.

In amongst all the fun and games today we should be happy about one thing ---

We have a group of youngsters -- some in the team and some in the squad that will improve.

Thomson when he was on was excellent

Jonsson -- great performance -- whatever position.

Glen -- signs of promise and looked a threat at times

Wallace -- has come on leaps and bounds this season

Driver -- has all the attributes to become a very good player.

Brown, Rapnik, McGowan,Templeton -- all showings signs that next season will be the one for them.

And a few more even younger --- of course not all will hit the heights (though if they did for a couple of years we would have some team until they were sold) -- but signs at this moment are good for the future.

Not viewing with maroon tinted glasses -- I just think we have a group that may well produce a few excellent players.

At this moment though we need the older, stronger players to supplement them.

Thomson - he was ok but it isnt going to happen, a lower SPL/first div Full back exists, nothing more.

Jonnnson - is there a position were he isnt excellent, probably the best of all the youths to come through our academy, with the right teaching he will be class.

Glen - excellent skills but needs to hit a gym and bulk up

Wallace - really like wallace and think we will see the best of him now he has made the LB spot his own, future scotland LB without a doubt for me, think he gets a hard time off our fans though at times.

Driver - as good as he is he lacks something which can hold him back, an end product in the most, we are also becoming too dependent on him so hope his nerves can hold the expectation.

Brown, Rapnik and McGowan all have a chance but really need to push on and start getting a game soon.

Templeton - as skillful as he is I suspect he might just not make it due to the physical aspects, didnt overly impress raith fans so has a lot of work to do and isnt a silly 17 year old now and is about to hit 20.

For me I think Husband is one you missed who really looks something special.

Jam Tarts 1874

With regard to Wallace - don't forget Ryan Wallace, he is very much Hearts version of McGeady - in a good way you understand!

Looking good.

And as posters here will tell you more are coming through at the u19s.

Hopefully your right about Ryan Wallace jamtarts1874, except lets hope he has an end product.

If Vlad doesnt lose interest or get crazy again, we could really be looking at a quality side in 2-3 years if we can keep most together before selling for big bucks.

Lets hope McGowan and Rapnik get some experience on loan, incase we sell Berra.

Craig Thomson is another, also is Deland.

jamboinglasgow

my run down of the promising youngsters and first team youngsters:

Thomson (J) - Thought he looked good in an odd posistion and I do think he is spl standard but not top spl. He is in a posistion that has two really good youngsters able to play it and Eggy.

Wallace (L) - I think he has come on this season, hitting the potential he first showed when he first broke through. Will come on again (though still stuff to work on.)

Driver (A) - Think he is a great player, can beat a man, cause havoc down the left wing, has a good shot. Just needs to work on crossing and making better descisions on whether to cross or shoot.

Jonsson (E) - Think hearts got a real gem when they signed him so young. He is showing versatilty, concentration and a real hard worker. The kind of player that endears themselve to the support and is wanted by so many clubs. (also look at his wikipedia page to see the many posistions.)

Glen (G) - I think that he has changed his attitude over the last month or so after the words from Csaba. The Glen in reserve matches was a bit lazy at times. But one from today was a hard worker who almost got a cracker goal. If he continue to works hard he will be a great striker.

Brown (J) - A player who can play LB or RB and is good at running down the wings and also a decent tackler, when he gets his chance I am confident he will take it well.

Rapnik (M) - Strong and powerful defender who I feel is the natural succesor to Berra.

McGowen ® - Another strong and skillful defender, but also a central midfielder who can go on great runs with the ball. An intelligent footballer who if he stays a few more seasons will be a future Hearts captain.

Templeton (D) - A player that could a useful player for Hearts, very skillful and can get past alot of defences coupled with a great strike. I do think people put him down because of his size too much. The player I saw warming up today is nothing like the skinny stick from a last season. I think people overstate the physical nature of the SPL. I would argue that in the reserves there are much more physical players and Templeton has shown himself a great player there. Its no surprise that best forwards and wingers are tiny, just look at Maradona, Messi and sergio Aguiro.

Husband (S) - I think he is a terrific player, whenever he plays he controls the game. A player who is most likely to do what Bruno can and be a good presence in midfield.

Wallace ® - Interesting to hear someone compare him with McGeady. If people think Templeton is tiny then Wallace is tom thumb. But he is a good player and can score, get past larger players and I recomend you see him jump as you will be blown away by how high he can get, I was.

Balatoni © - Another Center back who would become a solid defender such as we have had a come through tynecastle in recent years. Won U17 player of the year last year and will be a good center back.

McGowen (D) - Ryans brother and from some reports a better player. He is another defender who is very good.

Visconte ® - Oz winger who has been out for most of 2008 with an injury but has come back of late. Left winger and a good player on the wing. Have heard some coaches reckon he is a really great prospect (and one member of kickbacks fav youngster, he knows who he is.) Hopefully should be good.

Delands (M) - A decent LB and would argue in the Hutton mould, but better.

Thomson © - A great RB who is having a great season, great pace, and a great cross with a deadly shot. Could be an amazing player for hearts.

Cowan (M) - Hearts top scorer in the U19s, may not be the greatest striker, he is still one who can play as one upfront and finish well.

Novikovas (A) - He is a very good player, quite pacy, has a good touch and a lovely finish. Is able to play on the wing on up front.

Robinson (S) - I really like this player, and at 16 has a lot of potential. As a thread earlier today said, he has just come back from injury and I think Csaba will be a great benefit for him. A striker who can be a winger, very good prospect. He was the only 15 year old when he was picked for the Scotland U17s, U16s and U15s.

Ridgers (M) - Curious to see that there is an article on the website today with Csaba saying he can be as good as Gordon. Has come on a great deal since last season and should be a good goalie.

There is a run down of the most promising players at the hearts from U19 to senior. As always not all of these players will make it. But they have the most chance out of all the players.

As sad as it is (I used to have great hope for them) I feel that Branny and Copil will not make it at hearts (definatly copil wont.) Though I think that under the guidence of Csaba and his staff I think we are the best chance to develop the youngsters, though patientice and encouragement is needed from fans.

Jambo in Glasgow, great run down of the youth, cheers for taking the time to do that.

I had thought Husband was a winger, good to see hes a CM in a playmaking role - quite unusual for a Scottish youngster.

Good to see we have Delands and C Thomson ready to fill Eggert and Wallace's boots should they fulfill their potential and make us a mint - although im sure we can keep them for quite some time.

Im really excited about seeing Temps, im just a bit concerned that hes turning 20 and is not yet featuring. But thats encouraging that he has bulked up, as you said, messi etc are tiny, but it does help having a bit of upper body strength.

I saw some pictures of Ryan Wallace though, he looks about 8 stone, hopefully he takes a spurt then fills out.

Its weird that most of the technically gifted players produced in this country are always tiny.

jamboinglasgow
Jambo in Glasgow, great run down of the youth, cheers for taking the time to do that.

I had thought Husband was a winger, good to see hes a CM in a playmaking role - quite unusual for a Scottish youngster.

Good to see we have Delands and C Thomson ready to fill Eggert and Wallace's boots should they fulfill their potential and make us a mint - although im sure we can keep them for quite some time.

Im really excited about seeing Temps, im just a bit concerned that hes turning 20 and is not yet featuring. But thats encouraging that he has bulked up, as you said, messi etc are tiny, but it does help having a bit of upper body strength.

I saw some pictures of Ryan Wallace though, he looks about 8 stone, hopefully he takes a spurt then fills out.

Its weird that most of the technically gifted players produced in this country are always tiny.

Husband is a CM but is also a AMC. I think he could be pushed on the wing if needed.

I do think that Delands and C Thomson are going to be great full backs for us just think it will be a season before we might see them on the bench. But it does look a great future if these guys continue their progress.

As I said on the Scott Robinson thread, alot of skillful and technical players are small as they realise they cant use their physique to get round bigger players so learn how to get past these kinds of players at a young age.

As for Temps, I think it is slightly unfair to say at the age 20 it is dissapointing that he hasn't done anything at hearts. I think at any other club that would be fair but here the last two years are not great for any player and the experence at raith will have been valuable for him.

And wallace is pocket sized, though I remember on a recent FM2009 game, I was surprised to see a few months in that he had developed growth spurt. Going from 5 ft 6 (or whatever height he is) to 6 ft 5'.

Ryan Gosling

I understand what people say about 'pushing on and breaking into the team' but that just doesn't happen for defenders.

Yesterday for example, the natural change was Brown or Rapnik for Thomson. Those two and McGowan literally cannot do any more to break into the team, they need to wait for injuries or transfers and even if we did sell Berra, Zal and Kari, Csaba would probably sign new players instead.

jamboinglasgow
Probably a dumb question, but is Elias wagner away?

no he is still here, a decent player who could be a good player for us.

scott herbertson
I understand what people say about 'pushing on and breaking into the team' but that just doesn't happen for defenders.

Yesterday for example, the natural change was Brown or Rapnik for Thomson. Those two and McGowan literally cannot do any more to break into the team, they need to wait for injuries or transfers and even if we did sell Berra, Zal and Kari, Csaba would probably sign new players instead.

I don't agree Chris - for example Berra and Wallace have broken through despite a proliferation of incoming foreign players.

I thought bringing Glen on was partyl a desired tactical switch by Csaba because Fatty Patty had stiffened up the midfield and Csaba wanted to go for a more positive front pairing.

Also a derby isn't always the best atmosphere to bring on a new oyung defender.

Wouldn't be surprised to to see Rapnik get a game at some point on Wednesday

Ryan Gosling
I don't agree Chris - for example Berra and Wallace have broken through despite a proliferation of incoming foreign players.

I thought bringing Glen on was partyl a desired tactical switch by Csaba because Fatty Patty had stiffened up the midfield and Csaba wanted to go for a more positive front pairing.

Also a derby isn't always the best atmosphere to bring on a new oyung defender.

Wouldn't be surprised to to see Rapnik get a game at some point on Wednesday

Berra and Wallace were already established in the squad before the influx of foreigners though.

scott herbertson
Berra and Wallace were already established in the squad before the influx of foreigners though.

Don't think either were playing regularly before Burley?

Thomson and McGowan have already broken through into the first team

Rapnik and Brown have already broken into the squad

I'd be happy to bet that at least one yof the young defenders will get on the pitch before the end of the season

Ryan Gosling
Don't think either were playing regularly before Burley?

Thomson and McGowan have already broken through into the first team

Rapnik and Brown have already broken into the squad

I'd be happy to bet that at least one yof the young defenders will get on the pitch before the end of the season

Wallace had made 17 starts before Burley took over, Berra had made 20 appearances.

McGowan got 10 minutes against Gretna (and only because of an injury) which was an absolute joke considering the game meant **** all.

Charlie-Brown

Thomson & Glen have both played in the first team in the SPL before and I think Csaba went with their (albeit limited) experience- if it hadn't been a New Year derby and we'd been facing a bottom SPL team then would have been better chance of Rapnik or Brown making their SPL debut.

Jambo-in-Glasgow I'm surprised there was no mention of midfielders Johnny Stewart, Jonathon Woods or Danny Thomson in your summary of youth prospects as they are 3 very good players and would be the first choice U19 midfield trio barring injuries - they've also made some reserve appearance despite their young age.

scott herbertson
Wallace had made 17 starts before Burley took over, Berra had made 20 appearances.

McGowan got 10 minutes against Gretna (and only because of an injury) which was an absolute joke considering the game meant **** all.

Fair enough.. hadn't relaised they had started so often before.

Still think you ar enbeing a bit pessimistic about hte chances of one or mor eof the young defenders making it. I think Csabas wilingness to throw on Glen suggests he is a man who isn't stubborn and who will juudge each case , game and player on its merits.

Ryan Gosling
Fair enough.. hadn't relaised they had started so often before.

Still think you ar enbeing a bit pessimistic about hte chances of one or mor eof the young defenders making it. I think Csabas wilingness to throw on Glen suggests he is a man who isn't stubborn and who will juudge each case , game and player on its merits.

It took him nearly 5 months to use Glen. It's the one part of his management I wasn't happy with.

Tbh we throttle them to death

Im not saying throw them all in but Rapnik, McGowan, Husband, Templeton all need first team playing exposure.

I would suggest that all of them should have had between 5-10 appearences this season which looks unlikely now.

scott herbertson
It took him nearly 5 months to use Glen. It's the one part of his management I wasn't happy with.

I like Glen from what I have seen.

There was obviously an issue with his attitude as far as Csaba was concerned.

Going by yesterday's performance

a) Glen is just as good if not better than last year

B) Casaba has now not got a problem with him

I agree iot's a shame we have missed out on 5 months but I would hope that Csaba and co know what they are doing and it is fro the long term good of the player and the team

The Future's Maroon

With the title of the thread I thought someone was asking for me!

Got to say that the younger players we have do look to be excellent prospects, even the the ones we havent seen (going by posts for guys who watch the reserve/youth teams).

The Future's Bright - The Future's Maroon!

jamboinglasgow
Thomson & Glen have both played in the first team in the SPL before and I think Csaba went with their (albeit limited) experience- if it hadn't been a New Year derby and we'd been facing a bottom SPL team then would have been better chance of Rapnik or Brown making their SPL debut.

Jambo-in-Glasgow I'm surprised there was no mention of midfielders Johnny Stewart, Jonathon Woods or Danny Thomson in your summary of youth prospects as they are 3 very good players and would be the first choice U19 midfield trio barring injuries - they've also made some reserve appearance despite their young age.

I didn't mention Danny as I would wait until he comes back from injury but I would agree that he is a very good player.

Stewart and wood are decent players, Stewart has done well in the reserves and Wood is doing well in the U19s despite only in the last few months turning 17, so is quite young. I think as you say those 3 without injuries can be great central midfielders.

Plus I had taken about an hour to right that post (I was doing two things at once) so I didn't want to put too many players on one post. But a couple of players I can add are

Ross McKenzie: A winger (or according to the hearts website a striker) who when I watched the U19 match against St Mirren, my rangers supporting flatmate was really impressed by him a kept saying he will be a good player. Can beat a man and has a few tricks to do this by. Has a good shot and can cross.

Ben Long: Steve Banks' nephew. A central midfielder who looks decent enough. Scored a cracker of a goal against St Mirren.

Apart from that, there is no one else I can commit on. Saw Jordan Love for a short time so cant comment on him, nor on David Love or others.

Also does anyone know what Shaun Hill is like? I see on the U19 he is another 16 year old like Scott Robinson and I am sure I have heard posistive things about him. Anyone any idea if he is any good?

Also any idea on the U17s this year if they are any good like last years lot.

jamboinglasgow
Tbh we throttle them to death

Im not saying throw them all in but Rapnik, McGowan, Husband, Templeton all need first team playing exposure.

I would suggest that all of them should have had between 5-10 appearences this season which looks unlikely now.

In my opinon, if your building a team that sustains youngsters there is two methods. There is the Matt Busby method of bringing a group of quality youngsters in at once with a few experenced players, as there is a large group then it will mean your first season wont go as well and possibly the second but you will then have a strong team that can fight and win. Or there is the Arsenal method, have a strong team that is changed over a season or two until a system that allows youngsters to be able to move in easily at the right time due to a good mix of experenced players, younger players with some experence and even younger players with great talent but not much experence.

In my view hearts will be the later.

Archived