Number two from Sandy Clark....

Debut 4

We are the Gorgie....Jam tarts!

Following on from the Jimmy Bone thread, it got me thinking about a subject a few of my fellow Jam Tarts were discussing in the boozer a while ago.

When was the last time you can remember someone decent in the air, not just for Hearts either, in the Scottish game? It does certainly seem a dying quality in the game.

JB and SC were experts. They got up and would nod them in for fun but they had that ability to head it meaningfully for a player to run on to. It`s a real shame in my opinion.

But what`s the reason? Is it because football has a culture now that it`s obsessed with pass, pass , pass or is it simply because the talent just isn`t there? Do`nt know about you but these guys were priceless and having great ability in the air seems very underated today.

Aha ze British style football!

I think the English ban from Europe then followed by Bosman meant that British clubs changed their style of football.

A big competent centre forward is still worth his weight in gold but there just aren?t so many around anymore as you note. Why? Well I reckon coaches got wise to Route 1. A couple of big centrebacks are pretty much a fixture of any team nowadays, and CBs don?t need to be able to direct their headers too well, just get the ball clear. There is a tendency to stick any big guy who is good in the air at CB rather than CF now...

scott herbertson
Aha ze British style football!

I think the English ban from Europe then followed by Bosman meant that British clubs changed their style of football.

A big competent centre forward is still worth his weight in gold but there just aren?t so many around anymore as you note. Why? Well I reckon coaches got wise to Route 1. A couple of big centrebacks are pretty much a fixture of any team nowadays, and CBs don?t need to be able to direct their headers too well, just get the ball clear. There is a tendency to stick any big guy who is good in the air at CB rather than CF now...

Also teams, apart from Hibs, have abandoned hoof ball football

Hence the dinosaur that is Nish, and the giraffe that is Jones

Believe it was followed by..............

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to beat the hibs on new years day.

:xmasgrin:

Doctor FinnBarr
Believe it was followed by..............Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to beat the hibs on new years day.:xmasgrin:
FTH

Henrik Larsson was always a danger in the air.

He got a lot of goals from his head.

Henrik Larsson was always a danger in the air.

He got a lot of goals from his head.

I`m talking about quality in the air:xmasgrin: and i don`t think necessarily the style change has contributed to that.

High balls and crossing will always be a part of the game even if your own team/club`s style is geared towards passing.

I find it`s an art of the game being able to hang in the air and meet a cross perfectly or having that control in the air to make the ball go where you want it, and i feel a quality centre forward with these attributes would have a field day in the SPL.

Also, who mentioned hoofball? Most teams try to play on the deck when they can but you`ll NEVER avoid long balls or high balls in a game.

My point is there`s no real quality centre forwards with ability in the air when required.

Hackney Hearts

Oddly enough there was a rare headed hattrick at the weekend (Motherwell)...

I love diving headers - my favourite kind of goal.

Hackney Hearts
Also, who mentioned hoofball? Most teams try to play on the deck when they can but you`ll NEVER avoid long balls or high balls in a game.

Yup. Hitting the byeline and whipping in a head high ball isn't exactly hoofball.

My point is there`s no real quality centre forwards with ability in the air when required.

Which is rarer, good crossers of the ball or good centre forwards to meet the crosses.

We could have a CF who is great in the air but only Aguiar can put in a good ball. Kingston, Wallace and Chesney can occasionally deliver a good ball. Miko, Driver, Neilson and Stewart are all dreadful crossers.

Which is rarer, good crossers of the ball or good centre forwards to meet the crosses.

We could have a CF who is great in the air but only Aguiar can put in a good ball. Kingston, Wallace and Chesney can occasionally deliver a good ball. Miko, Driver, Neilson and Stewart are all dreadful crossers.

Mark Hateley hated him playing against us

for us Coco McAdam SC mark 2

Charlie-Brown

I thought Lee Miller was very good in the air when he played for us.....Andrius Velicka was also good in the air and scored some good headers.

Archived