albert camus quote - no longer valid?

CF11JamTart

Amongst other things, writer and philospoher Albert Camus was a goalkeeper in his younger days.

This quote below is frequently paraphrased...

"After many years during which I saw many things, what I know most surely about morality and the duty of man I owe to sport and learned it in the RUA" (RUA= Racing Universitaire Algerios)

I can understand where he was coming from, but at present, I think our game stinks. Not just in Scotland, but pretty much everywhere. Greed, self-interest, cronyism, corruption (both explicit and unconscious), fear, empire-building is everywhere.

Maybe it was always like this, and maybe it is part and parcel of what happens when individuals, with individual agendas get involved in running organisations.

Happy 2009! But I'm just bemused by it all.

I guess the Zaluikas just puts the tin-hat on it for me.

Nope. In spite of everything, I disagree profoundly with the OP. Look at how Csaba's enabled a hitherto divided, poorly motivated, overpaid bunch of underachievers to pull together and start getting results. That's what football's all about: the team is more important than the individual, and it takes hard work and character in order to achieve things. Sport doesn't require character: it reveals character. And that's true for any successful team I can ever recall, at whatever level.

Amongst other things, writer and philospoher Albert Camus was a goalkeeper in his younger days.

This quote below is frequently paraphrased...

"After many years during which I saw many things, what I know most surely about morality and the duty of man I owe to sport and learned it in the RUA" (RUA= Racing Universitaire Algerios)

I can understand where he was coming from, but at present, I think our game stinks. Not just in Scotland, but pretty much everywhere. Greed, self-interest, cronyism, corruption (both explicit and unconscious), fear, empire-building is everywhere.

Maybe it was always like this, and maybe it is part and parcel of what happens when individuals, with individual agendas get involved in running organisations.

Happy 2009! But I'm just bemused by it all.

I guess the Zaluikas just puts the tin-hat on it for me.

Albert Camus on Kickback!Well i never!

One thing is for sure,mate,as long as we,the supporters,are here the passion will be in the game.We have to make sure that never changes.

The game may,one day,return to the ordinary man,maybe sooner than we think!

Have a good 2009,everyone,

Boab.

He didnt like dundee utd very much with his killing an arab thing !

Jamie

What was he in The Cure?

Johanes de Silentio
He didnt like dundee utd very much with his killing an arab thing !

Ah, L'etranger unless I'm very much mistaken.

Camus rocks!

The People's Chimp
He's on most days. Well at least his picture is as an avatar.

Indeed he is. The great man also said that 3pm was too late or too early, for anything you want to do. He can't have been talking about football.

In terms of Camus' morality, the quote still applies today. No matter what the efforts of the SFA or incompetent or even corrupt referees are, we still know about decency, duty and morality and in fact perhaps learn more about these things during times such as these, when they show us very little of any of them.

Archived