Difference between rugby and football...

Acey

If anyone's watching the Scotland game at the moment, you'll have seen the headbutt from Henderson on the French boy after their try.

The pundits have correctly said that, had that happened in a football match, there'd be an outcry, long suspensions etc. In rugby, the referee was told that there'd been a blatant headbutt, and not even a yellow card.

Football is played by wusses.

Oh and none of tis nmaby shepparding the ball out just hold the guy back and punch out at him instead eh?

I see ford are advertising their offroader right next to the Murray adverts for the govanites too!

key difference if you ask me, is the professionalism of the referees!! Clearly explaining all decisions in detail, a standard or fair honest refereeing that football fans can only dream off!

rudi must stay
key difference if you ask me, is the professionalism of the referees!! Clearly explaining all decisions in detail, a standard or fair honest refereeing that football fans can only dream off!

the refs ruin the game imo. They stop the games every 2 seconds, least in football the games can be end to end

That'd be such a good change for football to make. TV audiences need to hear why decisions are given.

I'd make players shape up, too, if they knew that they could be heard.

That'd be such a good change for football to make. TV audiences need to hear why decisions are given.

Don't know about that - I'd get a bid fed up of hearing "it's because he a Lithuanian" or "it's because it's Rangers/Cetic you're playing" !!!!

The money that we pay whey the feck should we not get a explanation of why decisions are made, i think most people could hazard a guess as to why this will never hapen in football. Scotland are Colin Nish by the way!

Said the same thing in work on Fridaty night. Rugby's **** IMO, but I would definately welcome their referreeing and use of technology in football.

If anyone's watching the Scotland game at the moment, you'll have seen the headbutt from Henderson on the French boy after their try.

The pundits have correctly said that, had that happened in a football match, there'd be an outcry, long suspensions etc. In rugby, the referee was told that there'd been a blatant headbutt, and not even a yellow card.

Don`t know if that`s tongue in cheek acey, but disagree if your serious.

The two games are so different and anyway, there has to be rules FFS! Football would go out of control if players got away with punching and headbutting.

Is there a proper sport we are even mediocre at?

Indoor bowls? Curling? Or are they too Scottish?!

We're s***e and we know we are,

We're s***e and we know we are!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What does it say about the game when they get away with headbutting each other though?

Take it they are allowed to gob in each others face as well since it's a mans game?

Him not being sent off wont be the end of it, watch out for the ban that will be coming his way. ;)

What does it say about the game when they get away with headbutting each other though?

Take it they are allowed to gob in each others face as well since it's a mans game?

I think thats the real difference, rugby players wouldnt gob on each other they would just punch and headbutt instead. :)

I know a couple boys who play both egg chasing and footie, and they think you get many more injurys playing football, more kicks to the knees ect, where as in rugby your upper body is built up to withstand the blows....

and rugby is s****

Henderson should have been booked for his headbut on the French player (who it was shown threw a punch at him before the try was scored) but the video ref highlighted to the ref it was a "small headbut" so he took no further action.

They have to be more lenient in Rugby because being a player down can arguably have a huge impact on the game, even greater than in football. Esspecially red cards - If Henderson had been sent off after 10 minutes the match would have been a right off from that point on.

It is not really a fair comparison to make Acey.

Henderson will probably be brought up before sitations panel.

Differences...

...well football players aren't allowed to handle it. Unless they're the goalkeeper. Or Barry Ferguson.

...rugby players aren't allowed to pass the ball forward, which is a bit like us most of the time

...rugby players frequently kick the ball up the park and out of the field of play .... hold on Robbie does that same thing several times in every game

Hold on here ... what are the differences again ??? :laugh:

They already tried that in the late eighties in the old English first division, Arsenal were one of the teams. They never repeated the experiment due to the amount of swearing broadcast to the whole stadium.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm all for football and rugby swapping ideas to improve both sports.

Football would definitely improve if only the captain could talk to the ref and video evidence was introduced.

Rugby would improve if it had the excitement and skill levels of football. :)

rugby is a rural game played by agricultural types

I was going to North Berwick the day and was suprised at the amount of traffic comin into Edinburgh

Is that cos all the East Lothian types [middle class and tories no doubt] driving up to the rugger in their 4by4s

Borin game, rules are far to subjective and open to misinterpretation plus they get away with much worse behavior than footie fans sometimes

had the misfortune to be in a bar when a rugby team were on their night out, most aggressive and trouble some they were as well.

Any game where you can catch an ailment called 'scrumpox' does not get my juices flowing

Maybe i wouldnae be so negative if we were actually good but we seem to be serially p!sh

rules are far to subjective

Have to agree with Acey, this is one of the more bizarre claims made against rugby on here today (in amongst all the tedious stereotypes). Struggling to think which rugby rules are thinking about. Football rules that are subjective are easier to think of:

- Offside player interfering with play

- Handball vs. ball played man

- Player slips, goes down in the tackle vs.diving

- Clear goal scoring opportunity

- Player shepherding ball out of play has it under control vs. obstruction

- Shoulder charge vs. barge

etc. etc.

Don't understand why the fans constantly have to compare the two. Some like one, some like the other, some like both. Never seen fans feel the need to compare football to golf or rugby to netball. Personally I enjoy watching and playing both (although football is my favourite). For the record, like hundreds of other kids in Edinburgh I played rugby at a state school in the city.

Football for watching.

Rugby for Playing.

Sorted.

(No gay jokes please. Just because I would rather play a fun team game than kick a ball about with a bunch of hogging bassas)

I know a couple boys who play both egg chasing and footie, and they think you get many more injurys playing football, more kicks to the knees ect, where as in rugby your upper body is built up to withstand the blows....

and rugby is s****

I don't think that's necessarily true. You'll get different injuries in rugby than you will in football but upper body strength doesn't save them from much. It just enables them to contribute in a scrum or push their way through opponents. It certainly doesn't save them from broken collar bones which is what almost every rugby player I know has had at some point or another!

And rugby is not better behaved at all...if you watch any game and look closely at what's happening in a scrum, you can see everything from spitting in each others' faces to eye gouging...in a ruck there's always plenty of stamping, scraping studs down whatever part of the body they can reach...you name it. But it's part and parcel of the game apparently. 'Gamesmanship' in rugby involves doing these things out of sight of the referee, that's all.

Anyhoo, it's all a bit stop & start for me...games are never allowed to flow because of all these daft rules. They could do with dropping a few of them and it would be so much more watchable.

I saw a New York Rangers Ice Hockey match last year where two players knocked the sh*t out of each other (the refs don't interven until they're on the deck). I asked one of the locals what the punishment would be, expecting the answer to be a 5 match ban (or thereabouts). 5 minutes in the sin-bin - brilliant.

An example:

watch?v=0sjN2Sc6I8w

Is that cos all the East Lothian types [middle class and tories no doubt] driving up to the rugger in their 4by4s

You ever been to Tranent or the Pans?

By The Light..

walking from Haymarket today to the game at 2:30 and a mini-bus with Sauchie Juniors on it stuck in the traffic, full of rangers fans, singing your only egg chasing b'ds waving a union jack at scotland fans, you've got to laugh!

I hope they lose the replay :ninja:

In my lifetime Scotland have only ever had one really good rugby team (1984, 1990 was a fluke) and that didn't last long. We perpetually drop the ball far more than any other team I've seen - Scottish footballers can't keep possession either. We can't run - we must have the slowest backs, but then our footballers have no pace either. There are differences however. The rugby team is hard as nails and train and play in appalling conditions. I doubt the footballers could live with their fitness regime. They don't simulate and they don't cry to the ref. Rugby is a full contact sport, football isn't. If someone headbutts someone it's less serious in my eyes because the whole game someone's probably been poking his eye, grabbing his b*llocks and punching his ears.

Having said that I still much prefer football.

I was told earlier that at one point (and from someone who really doesn't give a toss about "rugger") that he fianlly got my point about the sport when he saw a Scotsman tackle one of the French boys by jamming his left hand on Pierre's shoulder, and sticking his right thumb up his farter.

Smashing. No idea if Scotland won btw, nor do I care.

I do however realise that Scotland as a country RULES because england got beat yesterday by Wales.

:rolleyes:

ach... if he'd pulled his head back and nutted him them that would have been a headbut - as is he just gave him a wee nudge....handbags.

What was funny was when John Inverdale asked Rafa Ibanez at half time what he thought and Ibanez said he wouldn't want to comment as he was under investigation for a citation himself, mind you he's a hard wee b*stard.

Personally I've played both ruby and football and enjoy watching most sport especially live. I don't buy into this sterotyping - you try asking a welshman if rugby's a middle class game and see where your teeth end up.

IMHO football is a better game than rugby simply because they don't change the rules every 5 minutes and because of that brinkmanship is reasonalby rare in football where as cheating in rugby is pretty rife at the moment.

rugby is definately a more violent game and fights are pretty frequent however - football injuries are usually much nastier.

also - and this is speaking from experience - you can get away with being pretty unfit at amature rugby where as 11 a side is a killer. I stopped playing footie when I was 24, rugby when I was 27 and then played American Football for a couple of seasons in the Scottish league - that was fun - you got to beat the cr@p out of people off the ball and you got paid as well.

as others have said, footy might be better but in terms of using technology and refereeing it is miles behind, its pretty embarassing really how backwards football compared to other sports, not just in Scotland but all over the world.

Here's the difference. Gabriel Agbohlahor out of the England squad with pulled hammy, some english rugby guy out with a bruised liver - ouchy:eek1:

I'm willing to bet that Barry Ferguson would have got off with it, and the other player booked for hiting Bazza's head with his nose.

I like the way that in rugby you can have a full blown punch-up and the ref will simply let it run it's course then say 'calm down lads, penalty to blues' and the players will just nod their heads and get on with the game.

BTW Scotland were utterly pesh yesterday.

PS I also like the way that the game carries on while a player is in the background surrounded by trainers getting his leg sewn back on. Not like football where players go down after damaging a hair folicle heading the ball and have to be stretchered off before they are allowed back on.

Flippin hate rugby.

Aye, lets kick lumps out each other and scrape studs down each others faces for 80 minutes and then we'll all shake hands at the end of it and go back to the changing rooms for some "manly banter".

Weirdo's. Ugly fecking weirdo's.

Football players arent gay / wusses - football players are normal folk who feel pain in a normal way. Rugby players are just numbnuts who have been bashed about the head one too many times to feel the pain any more.

Many rugby players are excellent physical specimens, but the game does accommodate the "roly-polys" as well.

Yesterday a Scottish player, (I'm not a rugby fan so I can't tell you his name or position), got the ball in the clear and was running for the line. It was obvious that wind resistance would not let his podgy legs propell him at more than 2-3 mph, and he was promptly caught.

I could have caught him, and my footballing days are long gone.

The wrong player, in the wrong place. (Like Petric in front of an open goal).

Such a figure would be laughed off a football field, but it seems that, in rugby, bulk can be more important than fitness.

I like my athletes to, at least, look the part.

The pomposity of some rugby fans, and the way the look down their noses at our game, also irks me.

here's a debate that i got involved in once:

a year or two ago, while speaking to my posh egg chasing friend, i flippantly claimed that although rugby was good, you required far more technical skill to be a football player - cue OUTRAGE from rugby boy, thought his heid was gonnae explode! looked like one of those radges from Dragonball Z when they get wound up.

i cant understand how anyone can say you need more technical ability to play rugby personally - back me up people?

here's a debate that i got involved in once:

a year or two ago, while speaking to my posh egg chasing friend, i flippantly claimed that although rugby was good, you required far more technical skill to be a football player - cue OUTRAGE from rugby boy, thought his heid was gonnae explode! looked like one of those radges from Dragonball Z when they get wound up.

i cant understand how anyone can say you need more technical ability to play rugby personally - back me up people?

I wouldn't say it requires more or less skill than football - if you want to find a way of getting around a 20 stone guy that can do 100m in 11 odd seconds and is playing within the rules when he flattens you, be my guest.....

It does, however, require a totally different mindset. If you threw yourself on the ground and started screming like a pansy (a la Dida, Nakamura and, unfortunately, Miko) for anything less than a real injury, you'd be more likely to get a shoeing from your own team than the other side.

The officiating is also of a much higher standard. IMO. But I'd rather be watching the Jambos!

I wouldn't say it requires more or less skill than football - if you want to find a way of getting around a 20 stone guy that can do 100m in 11 odd seconds and is playing within the rules when he flattens you, be my guest.....

It does, however, require a totally different mindset. If you threw yourself on the ground and started screming like a pansy (a la Dida, Nakamura and, unfortunately, Miko) for anything less than a real injury, you'd be more likely to get a shoeing from your own team than the other side.

The officiating is also of a much higher standard. IMO. But I'd rather be watching the Jambos!

but at the same time..if your fast as feck and built like a brick outhouse, you can just run through him...

Archived