UFC Thread

Maroon Mayhem

Maroon Mayhem

Following on from the boxing thread I thought I'd start one up about the UFC which is establishing itself as a real alternative.

What's peoples view between it and boxing from an entertainment perspective?

Any hard core fans?

The next 3 look really good especially the Rampage v Silva one.Can't wait for that, Rampage has already lost to Silva twice but that was at Pride one of which was a first round KO.Can't wait until BJ Penn and St Pierre get it on as well.

My favourite fighter right now though is Kenny Florian he does not look much but seems to have everything especially devastating with the knees.

As for which is best between this and boxing i think both can live with each other but for consistant quality match ups it has to be the UFC.

Following on from the boxing thread I thought I'd start one up about the UFC which is establishing itself as a real alternative.

What's peoples view between it and boxing from an entertainment perspective?

Any hard core fans?

I usually find the first 10 seconds of each fight pretty good but it then descends in to two men grappling each other on the floor.

Maroon Mayhem
I usually find the first 10 seconds of each fight pretty good but it then descends in to two men grappling each other on the floor.

Couple of things on this.

The UFC have such a large number of fighters to pick from now guys can't afford to lie on top and grind out a result, they just won't get asked back.

Also, when you get into it the Jui Jhitsu fighters can be really entertaining.

Have a look back, you'll like it.

Maroon Mayhem
The next 3 look really good especially the Rampage v Silva one.Can't wait for that, Rampage has already lost to Silva twice but that was at Pride one of which was a first round KO.Can't wait until BJ Penn and St Pierre get it on as well.

My favourite fighter right now though is Kenny Florian he does not look much but seems to have everything especially devastating with the knees.

As for which is best between this and boxing i think both can live with each other but for consistant quality match ups it has to be the UFC.

Agreed about Florian, he seems a really hard working genuine guy too. Don't know if you saw Ben Saunders fight at UFN 18, his clinch and knees were superb.

i like the UFC, some of the finishes are breathtaking knockouts. think its better than the average boxing match to watch purely for the chance of something unexpected might happen.

The UFC have such a large number of fighters to pick from now guys can't afford to lie on top and grind out a result, they just won't get asked back.

I do like the way it's more about technique than size.

Agreed about Florian, he seems a really hard working genuine guy too. Don't know if you saw Ben Saunders fight at UFN 18, his clinch and knees were superb.

I agree about Florian, his Muay Thai is exceptional, elbows and knees are incredible. He also has a good grounding in Brazilian Jujitsu, so will certainly do some big things in UFC IMHO

Love the UFC...

Haye's said that he'll join once he's done all he can in Boxing.. ie win the heavy weight belt.

Are you sure it was Haye and not Enzo Maccarenelli? I am sure the latter already does some kickboxing and jujitsu and said he wants to don the small mitts and give UFC a go at some point? I may be wrong of course.

**Edit*** Just googled it and Haye does indeed want to do UFC as well as Maccarenelli

Are you sure it was Haye and not Enzo Maccarenelli? I am sure the latter already does some kickboxing and jujitsu and said he wants to don the small mitts and give UFC a go at some point? I may be wrong of course.

**Edit*** Just googled it and Haye does indeed want to do UFC as well as Maccarenelli

Didnt know Enzo wanted to do it as well.

Class.

Didnt know Enzo wanted to do it as well.

Class.

To be honest mate, I reckon they will both be out of their depth. Neither of them have good enough MMA skills and it will take A LOT of training in Brazilian Jujitsu/Muay Thai/Kung Fu/Capoeira/Greco Roman Wrestling to get anywhere near the boys who have been doing MMA disciplines for many years.

I think they will get hammered to be honest

Georges St Pierre is far and away the most talented guy in UFC, entertaining as hell to watch.

Watched the ultimate fighter finale last night...was some pretty good fights in there. Both winners look pretty handy, as do the runners up to be fair.

Just as a very slight aside, does anyone actually do any MMA disciplines or martial arts?

I used to train with the Elite Fighting System for a while in South East London, which is an MMA discipline. Some absolute nutters in amongst that lot I can tell you! Dave O'Donnell who runs it was featured on Britain's Hardest Men with that tw*t from Eastenders.

I now only do Muay Thai

What about everyone else?

tommythejambo

I laughed.

Always meant to watch it but just never got round to it.

IMO it's just two guys paggering and I can see that up the town any night I want.

Boxing is more like a ?150 bottle of champagne, to UFC's ?4 Cava out Tesco.

I laughed.

IMO it's just two guys paggering and I can see that up the town any night I want.

Clearly you don't appreciate the skill and dedication it takes to master greco roman wrestling or jujitsu - hence your disregard for the floor work in UFC and the effort, energy and skill required to manoeuver your opponent into a position where you can make him submit.

Each to their own of course, and the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed eh?!

Maroon Mayhem
I laughed.

OK I'll give you it was an unfortunate string of words! :xmaseye:

Peckham Jambo has already explained what I was going to so there's no need.

Boxing is to outbox ie hit and move before you're hit, that just isn't fighting in my book.

Also how many champions do you nee at each weight????

With the UFC you get one and one only.

I realise that there are other organisations but (with the exception of Fedor) most of the top fighters are in the UFC.

I have been a massve fan of UFC for over 5 years now, used to watch it online and on Bravo and loving that setanta now show every event live. I'm a bit old to participate in any MMA now but if I was 10 years younger I would definitely be interested if there were any clubs in Edinburgh. It is a brilliant sport with totally ddicated athletes, majority of which are skilled in many forms of combat. My personal fav fighters are Wanderlei Silve, Rampage Jackson, GSP and Clay Guida. The event on Dec 27th is a must see for any newbie to the UFC.

Just as a very slight aside, does anyone actually do any MMA disciplines or martial arts?

I used to train with the Elite Fighting System for a while in South East London, which is an MMA discipline. Some absolute nutters in amongst that lot I can tell you! Dave O'Donnell who runs it was featured on Britain's Hardest Men with that tw*t from Eastenders.

I now only do Muay Thai

What about everyone else?

Trained in Tae kwon do for years- i am currently the national team captain , been teaching for 5 years now .Martial arts and self defence is my life:) I had to give up my season ticket this year as national squad training was switched from Sunday to Saturday:sad:

I have been watching ufc for a few years now , i watch all mma and k1 and spend hours watching fights on you tube.

Spent a good few years in my youth doing judo, and did a wee bit of boxing training. Done my right knee in a good few years ago though, and it has always been a bit weak since then...so a UFC career is out the window, plus the excess weight and lack of fitness!

Archived