River Plate Finish Bottom

Rawrrrrrrr

Akin to one of the OF finishing bottom.

They don't go down though, as relegation is based on the previous 3 seasons, and I thought the OF were corrupt.

Apparently they still qualify for the Copa Libertoes too....

Its nice to see they are feeling finishing bottom

Dougie Masterton

They don't go down though, as relegation is based on the previous 3 seasons, and I thought the OF were corrupt.

Is there any chance of you finishing at the bottom of the river Plate?

Is there any chance of you finishing at the bottom of the river Plate?

how does the old saying and the wish became father...........?:xmasgrin:

this will be the next idea which will come out from the "think tank" :xmaseye:

They only finished bottom of the Apertura of which there is no relegation. So even if they had proper rules rather than the ridiculous aggregate system, River would not be going down at this stage....

They also qualified for the Copa Libertadores due to the fact they won the Clausura Title 2008.

The aggregate system is there to protect clubs such as River for the simple reason Argentinean football couldn’t survive financially without the likes of Boca, River, Independiente and Racing. As South American football isn’t awash with cash, it’s always a possibility that one of the major cash generators i.e Boca et al could be relegated thus shafting Argentinean football in the process.

I’m sure Brazil implemented this system after one of their large clubs got relegated and nearly brought the national federation to its knees. The truth is, South American football isn’t awash with cash, so it makes sense to protect the clubs that help to generate international intrest.

More upsetting is Vasco de Gama getting relegated in Brasil! Gutted.

And I heard Pinilla was doing well for them before.....................yes he picked up an injury

The aggregate system is there to protect clubs such as River for the simple reason Argentinean football couldn?t survive financially without the likes of Boca, River, Independiente and Racing. As South American football isn?t awash with cash, it?s always a possibility that one of the major cash generators i.e Boca et al could be relegated thus shafting Argentinean football in the process.

I?m sure Brazil implemented this system after one of their large clubs got relegated and nearly brought the national federation to its knees. The truth is, South American football isn?t awash with cash, so it makes sense to protect the clubs that help to generate international intrest.

Dont think they did, hence Vasco going down this season, Corinthians (who apparently have the second biggest fan base after Flamengo) going down last season

The aggregate system is there to protect clubs such as River for the simple reason Argentinean football couldn?t survive financially without the likes of Boca, River, Independiente and Racing. As South American football isn?t awash with cash, it?s always a possibility that one of the major cash generators i.e Boca et al could be relegated thus shafting Argentinean football in the process.

I?m sure Brazil implemented this system after one of their large clubs got relegated and nearly brought the national federation to its knees. The truth is, South American football isn?t awash with cash, so it makes sense to protect the clubs that help to generate international intrest.

Sounds like you could be talking about scottish football..

Surprised the OF havent mooted a similar idea for scotland yet just to be sure.

Dont think they did, hence Vasco going down this season, Corinthians (who apparently have the second biggest fan base after Flamengo) going down last season

iirc, it was implemented a good few years ago for this very reason. However, if clubs consistently finish near the bottom of the table, then no amount of rule changes are going to stop certain clubs from going down eventually. FIFA just wouldn't allow it.

iirc, it was implemented a good few years ago for this very reason. However, if clubs consistently finish near the bottom of the table, then no amount of rule changes are going to stop certain clubs from going down eventually. FIFA just wouldn't allow it.

The system was implemented for only one season in Brazil, hence why a team like Vasco have been relegated.

I think that the system that Brazil introduced briefly but then abandoned was that a club couldn't be relegated if it had ever won the league, however long ago.

The system was implemented for only one season in Brazil, hence why a team like Vasco have been relegated.

I really don't know anything about Brazilian football, only Argentinean football because I happen to like Racing, so I?m in no position to debate the ins and outs of Brazilian football, but bringing in a percentage based system means it?s there to protect the large clubs in any given league. There?s no other reason for it.

I completely understand Scottish football isn?t exactly awash with cash, but when you consider the poverty and depravation that?s rife throughout South America, it makes both financial and footballing sense to protect the likes of River and Boca. Even more so when you consider the Argentinean economy is a shambles. Lose River or Boca and there?s a chance the whole Argentinean football association goes tits up with them.

I really don't know anything about Brazilian football, only Argentinean football because I happen to like Racing, so I?m in no position to debate the ins and outs of Brazilian football, but bringing in a percentage based system means it?s there to protect the large clubs in any given league. There?s no other reason for it.

I completely understand Scottish football isn?t exactly awash with cash, but when you consider the poverty and depravation that?s rife throughout South America, it makes both financial and footballing sense to protect the likes of River and Boca. Even more so when you consider the Argentinean economy is a shambles. Lose River or Boca and there?s a chance the whole Argentinean football association goes tits up with them.

Steady on there dude! Im no daft. I know exactly why it was implemented! I was only pointing out that Brazil scrapped their system after much opposition to it as many thought it was unfair.

I know the Argentine league better too. They changed their structure twice in a small time span as River should have been relegated. Regardless of finances, its hardly a fair system. Why should a team in the Second Division not come up because they had a couple of poor ones previously? Its nearly as bad as the stadia rule in Scotland!

But the fact is (going back to the OP) River would not have been relegated at this point in time, as it has to be over the whole season and not just the Apertura start.

Archived