when do we join the euro?

Quagmire

when do we join the euro?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. when do we join the euro?

• now - the pound's fecked, cut our losses
    • when/if the pound becomes worth less than a euro
    • when it's the ONLY option left to stop some kind of disaster (hyperinflation etc)
    • NEVER!!! no matter how dire things become, i love my pounds!
    • st johnstone

So why doesn't the Euro join the pound if the pound is currently stronger, it would be good news for them.

if only that logic actually made sense...:(

erm never, the pound next to the dollar is the most valuiable currency,

regardless if it has taken a knock.

its the 6th most important now unfortunately.

The only positive of the pound tanking is that our export sales should pick up and will hopefully help boost the economy

Carl Spackler
So why doesn't the Euro join the pound if the pound is currently stronger, it would be good news for them.

The EU does want the UK to be part of the Euro doesn't it? It's the UK that doesn't want the single currency (Ie the Euro does want to join the pound). It'll happen now probably. Even more reason for Scotland to be independent because the UK will be nothing more than a federal state of Europe if the boundaries keep getting broken down. Scotland may as well be it's own state, what's the point of the middle layer of government (ie Westminster).

Patrick Bateman
Never.

Euro & EU GTF!

Embrace Eurasia, you subversive.

Never would be too soon. It's imperative that we retain our cultural identity.

I thought that went in 1707.

Can u explain how we lose our cultural identity by mving to the euro?

Losing the Great British Pound would be a grievous blow, as it's symbolic of our splendid isolation. We wouldn't lose our cultural identity because of it, but it'd be a step in that direction.

Would the Euro even have Her Majesty the Queen's head on it? :sad:

ToadKiller Dog
Never would be too soon. It's imperative that we retain our cultural identity.

Bring back the Groat thats what i say!

Seriously i would be happy with the Euro just another token for me to buy goods services ,except that i can also use it when on holiday or with Hearts in europe next season ,dont see a coin as a part of my culture ,Most Continental Europeans have not lost there own nations cultural identity since switching.

Never.

Euro & EU GTF!

What are you actually on?

The fact the vast majority of Europe is on the Euro and it's doins fine is a good thing. Having being living in a Euro using country is brilliant as it shows me just how backwards the UK can be when it comes to currency.

Personally I couldn't care less what my or our money was called. We're still all Scottish / British and that's all that matters.

Never. Why the heck would we want to more European? I love being British, love Britain, love being Scottish, love Scotland, love the history of our proud nation and part of that is the pound!

Losing the Great British Pound would be a grievous blow, as it's symbolic of our splendid isolation. We wouldn't lose our cultural identity because of it, but it'd be a step in that direction.

Do you even look at the pictures on your bank notes or on the coins every time you pay for something!?!?! Who really cares if the queens head is on your coins or not, how does that affect your life????

Money in my opinion has nothing to to with culture, being part of the Euro would possibly have a strong positive effect on every UK citizens life - I don't care what my money looks like as long as i've got some and can use it to purchase the things I need and like.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A few points to hopefully bring some rational thinking into the debate: -

1. The UK is in no position to join the Euro with its budget deficit at ridiculously high levels. German surpluses are already bearing the weight of basket cases in Italy and Greece, to the extent that spreads on where the Euro is printed have meant that the idea of the Euro being 'legal tender' across the Eurozone is heading to laughable proportions, i.e. Germans don't want Euros issued by the Club Med countries.

2. The exchange rate is simply showing the fact that the UK is losing a lot of wealth that only ever existed on paper. The pound's strength was mainly due to the cheap money from China and Germany, creating a capital account surplus. This was, in turn, lent to UK citizens in the form of easy credit card and mortgage debt. Now that that tap has been effectively turned off, the market is readjusting.

3. The exchange rate advantage the UK will obtain can start to rebuild some of the other sectors of the UK economy that can export to other countries. This won't be immediate given the global nature of the recession.

The fact of the matter is that the Eurozone is an imperfect currency union as the one size fits all interest rate simply doesn't work. This is why Ireland and Spain will have severe recessions as they rode an even bigger property boom than that of the UK. In fact, if the UK had been in the euro, the UK would have had even lower interest rates during the boom. The carnage from the fallout is bad enough now but would have been even worse as this recession deepens.

And that is before the political aspects...

You're the Pub Landlord !

Together with David Icke and Ronnie Corbett, you're the third most famous poster on JKB.

Miller Jambo 60
Never. Why the heck would we want to more European? I love being British, love Britain, love being Scottish, love Scotland, love the history of our proud nation and part of that is the pound!

My feelings mate:)

Don't care who's on my money, I had Shakespeare and Adam Smith on my money and if I have enough of them I could by smokes.

Get the Euro with a picture of Martine McCutchen * on it and I'll be a happy man.

*credit to Frankie Boyle

What are you actually on?

The fact the vast majority of Europe is on the Euro and it's doins fine is a good thing. Having being living in a Euro using country is brilliant as it shows me just how backwards the UK can be when it comes to currency.

Personally I couldn't care less what my or our money was called. We're still all Scottish / British and that's all that matters.

You think the Euro and the EU exist to make things better for the people who live in the member nations? Do they feck. The whole thing is a sham. They are not trying to shrink the world for our good, it's to make it easier for the money makers to make more fecking money. Well the whole lot of the *******s can go and fly off a cliff, arsehole Eurocrats governing from their thrones in the ivory tower - burn it to the ground!

Europe is a continent not a country, they are trying to make it one so it's easier to cluster **** everyone.

I live five minutes from Belgium, thirty minutes from Germany, and less than an hour from France; the Euro hasn't made life worse for everyone.

I dont think the Euro is the way to go. I was in Slovenia over a year ago and they didnt really take to it very well. Made general products in their country alot more expensive.

I live five minutes from Belgium, thirty minutes from Germany, and less than an hour from France; the Euro hasn't made life worse for everyone.

Wow. If you were really tall (really tall) and had loads of legs (if you were a really big spider, for instance), you could stand in four countries at once.

Wow. If you were really tall (really tall) and had loads of legs (if you were a really big spider, for instance), you could stand in four countries at once.

beverley says "funny post makween!"

I dont think the Euro is the way to go. I was in Slovenia over a year ago and they didnt really take to it very well. Made general products in their country alot more expensive.

Yep, that's because people don't understand the currency at first and you'll always get a few sleekit feckers who'll try and pull the wool over some poor sod's eyes.

I live in Ireland and it's a bit more expensive here, but they have a different Tax system so everything works out fine :D

:xmashappy:

Archived