Gettting very bored with the press

Fulham Jambo

The latest press articles following our great result yesterday are full of the usual double edged complimients - they can't help but have a pop at the 'back office' problems...when are they going to give it a rest?

Funnily enough those of us who live in the REAL world....ie NOT sports journos who get paid for their hobby...are aware that at the moment we are going through what could be the worst global financial crisis since the 1929. And yet...Heart's are doomed ...tales of fire sales....unpaid wages....cash flow abound....

ahem.....hold on a minute....surely the evil rantings of Vlad are behind this!!! reading the article you could be forgiven for thinking so but the scribblers seem to miss the point that if we are still trading we are actually doing pretty well.

fire sales....look at Woolies FFS!

cash flow problems....ahem...both Scotland's banks have failed ladies and gents...Friday was the end of the Bank of Scotland. Those who survive have been bailed out by the government....ie US

What am I most grateful to Vlad for? Well, taking Hearts away from debt to HBOS and transferring it to what is essentially a much less sophisticated bank in UKIOS - a bank which is linked to a less sophisticated economy where things get made and people save money.

I work for a company that is responsible for making around 30% of all food found on a UK supermarket shelf. We mane thinks like Hovis, Kipling, Bachelors, tins of veg....the sort of food folk buy because they HAVE to. We turnover 3 billion - so we're a bit bigger than Hearts. We grew by 9% last year and profits are up ...yet our shareprice has lost 90% of its value over the last 12 months. My point is that well run and profitable businesses are all facing the cosh just now so how about giving Hears a bit of slack and giving us some unadultarated praise for wat has been a remarkable run.

Hearts have never been media darlings, but VR made it worse a few years back and they won't let us forget it as long as he is here. Let them have their little huff, don't buy their paper.

No-one likes us, we don't care.... :)

I suppose its not in their interests to talk Hearts up, as we showed in 2005/2006, we do have the ability to split the Old Firm.

The most frustrating paper is the EDINBURGH Evening News, the team should be getting lauded to the rooftops at the moment.

Lets hope that the up-turn in form is reflected in sales of half-season tickets/hospitality and other club merchandise.

If the club is now being left to stand on its own two feet, lets make that base as strong as possible.

Paisley Jambo

Livng through in the west of Scotland it has certainly become clear that the only news about Hearts the media is concerned with is bad news.

Everyday this week the Radio Clyde morning sports desk has had some negative story regarding Hearts. Never once was it mentioned that we were the form team in the country and how the manager had turned round playing performances in a short time.

We don't expect everything to be looked at through rose tinted spectacles but this week in particular from that Radio station has been a joke.

I would hope that events at Tynecastle would be reported in a more balanced way through in the east.

If the breakfast show wasn't worth listening to I would swith stations.

Douglas Alexander in The Times focuses on our time waisting, Laszlo's " incoherent ramblings ", fire sales, Blackburn's interest in our captain and the bizarre quality of our goal.

We must be doing something right at the moment.

The latest press articles following our great result yesterday are full of the usual double edged complimients - they can't help but have a pop at the 'back office' problems...when are they going to give it a rest?

Funnily enough those of us who live in the REAL world....ie NOT sports journos who get paid for their hobby...are aware that at the moment we are going through what could be the worst global financial crisis since the 1929. And yet...Heart's are doomed ...tales of fire sales....unpaid wages....cash flow abound....

ahem.....hold on a minute....surely the evil rantings of Vlad are behind this!!! reading the article you could be forgiven for thinking so but the scribblers seem to miss the point that if we are still trading we are actually doing pretty well.

fire sales....look at Woolies FFS!

cash flow problems....ahem...both Scotland's banks have failed ladies and gents...Friday was the end of the Bank of Scotland. Those who survive have been bailed out by the government....ie US

What am I most grateful to Vlad for? Well, taking Hearts away from debt to HBOS and transferring it to what is essentially a much less sophisticated bank in UKIOS - a bank which is linked to a less sophisticated economy where things get made and people save money.

I work for a company that is responsible for making around 30% of all food found on a UK supermarket shelf. We mane thinks like Hovis, Kipling, Bachelors, tins of veg....the sort of food folk buy because they HAVE to. We turnover 3 billion - so we're a bit bigger than Hearts. We grew by 9% last year and profits are up ...yet our shareprice has lost 90% of its value over the last 12 months. My point is that well run and profitable businesses are all facing the cosh just now so how about giving Hears a bit of slack and giving us some unadultarated praise for wat has been a remarkable run.

This is a terrific post, and serves to put the Hearts situation on context. I particularly liked the part in bold.

Its a point well made that we are given little credit for what is being achieved on the park, as journalists continue to have a pop at all things Heart of Midlothian. You just have to hope that it will make us stronger.

John

No matter how much you may dislike or even like VR he told the Weege Meed what they are and they didn`t like it and that`s one thing i like him for.

It rankles with them and now it`s cheap shots from them day in day out.

Douglas Alexander in The Times focuses on our time waisting, Laszlo's " incoherent ramblings ", fire sales, Blackburn's interest in our captain and the bizarre quality of our goal.

The incoherent ramblings jibe really gets on my wick.

Csaba makes more sense than the rest of Scottish Football combined. Listening to him talking to the press is like watching a professor educating a kindergarten.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
I suppose its not in their interests to talk Hearts up, as we showed in 2005/2006, we do have the ability to split the Old Firm.

The most frustrating paper is the EDINBURGH Evening News, the team should be getting lauded to the rooftops at the moment.

Lets hope that the up-turn in form is reflected in sales of half-season tickets/hospitality and other club merchandise.

If the club is now being left to stand on its own two feet, lets make that base as strong as possible.

As long as the Hearts support lauds the team on the pitch at every opportunity then i wouldn't worry what any of the second class journo's print.

But didn't you know, Heart of Midlothian are singularly responsible for the economic downturn in the world economy.

Additionally, Hearts fans would much rather watch their players under-achieve than play well and attract interest from top English clubs.

Csaba makes more sense than the rest of Scottish Football combined. Listening to him talking to the press is like watching a professor educating a kindergarten.

John. Hughes.

Incoherency personified.

Great thread ,Great origional post, Not one comment from the gloomers. Been saying for over a week now that the team are doing well and all the backroom stuff will muddle along and take what the press say with a pinch of salt. Or better still don't read their bile. What a festive season this would be. Pump the gers , draw with the tic beat DDutd and Motherwelland dump hubs out the BIG cup. BRING IT ON!! Merry Xmas!!!

I was at uni with someone who worked for Setanta and he was telling me how much Hearts (particularly Romanov) are despised by the media. He was telling me how he was working a game (think he said either Aberdeen or Dundee United) the day we were playing Gretna at home last season....Hearts were 1 nil up for Gretna to come back and equalize - which promted much high fiving from Setanta and BBC Radio reporters and messages of "Get it *** up them" and such like being sent around the grounds by the various BBC Radio reporters.

Think that pretty much sums up their feelings towards us.

see don't sink to their level! Suprevivero(sic) is a concept a Sicilain friend of mine taught me literally survive by swimming to the top. let the weegia aspire to the moral high ground we occupy:xmaseye::xmaseye:

Thats the thing thats always baffled me...

Not being from Edinburgh originally I find the lack of support and indeed the apparent eagerness to put the boot in to Hearts at every opportunity a complete mystery on the part of the local press :mw_confused:

Thats the thing thats always baffled me...

Not being from Edinburgh originally I find the lack of support and indeed the apparent eagerness to put the boot in to Hearts at every opportunity a complete mystery on the part of the local press :mw_confused:

That's because their main sports writer is a HOBBO. He can't stand being in our shadow.

Good thread this.

Fact is we're a threat. Plus we don't do things the good old Scottish/British way. The GFA, the media, the population at large don't like this.

How good would it be if by the start of February, the firesale hadn't happened and weegie mafia had to backtrack or put a negative spin on the fact that VR was too pig-headed to accept offers.

Fact is even if we sell 1 player, say Kingston, for ?3mill, this would be reported negatively cos we did it cos we're 'in crisis'. If Celtic, Rangers, Hibs sell one of their players for their market value, then it's prudent business.

Get it round them all.

BBC Scotland commentary was all about that yesterday too. It was literally a running commentary of WGS?s antics on the touchline and how he was trying to influence the 4th official and referee. I honestly got the impression that what they were trying to do was to impress upon the "Celtic minded" who were also listening that WGS is a man who is trying his darndest to do his best for their club... The football match, which was ongoing seemed secondary to this alternative agenda.

Generic Username

Don't let these fuds from the paper rain on our parade gents.

2 successive games against the OF and we've played them off the park both games, they are over there spewing about it and that's all this is.

If there's no story given to them thanks to a Vlad moment etc they'll just make up whatever they like to distract everyone from the fact that we're playing extremely well right now and have shown up the OF to be lacking in quality.

Gimps of the highest order.

ToadKiller Dog
BBC Scotland commentary was all about that yesterday too. It was literally a running commentary of WGS?s antics on the touchline and how he was trying to influence the 4th official and referee. I honestly got the impression that what they were trying to do was to impress upon the "Celtic minded" who were also listening that WGS is a man who is trying his darndest to do his best for their club... The football match, which was ongoing seemed secondary to this alternative agenda.

The Scottish media , paper /air /telly live in a bubble along with leading managers ,players and to some extent the SFA (Gordon Smith to be fair does not seem well liked).They are all mates and its in there interests to look after each other ,and from that comes a rather xenophobic and parochial out look ,which i assume that puts Hearts in its current set up out with there little scotlander outlook .

I think Csaba understands this and you can here this in the way he responds to the media comment ,he knows how to play there game.

The Scottish media , paper /air /telly live in a bubble along with leading managers ,players and to some extent the SFA (Gordon Smith to be fair does not seem well liked).They are all mates and its in there interests to look after each other ,and from that comes a rather xenophobic and parochial out look ,which i assume that puts Hearts in its current set up out with there little scotlander outlook .

I think Csaba understands this and you can here this in the way he responds to the media comment ,he knows how to play there game.

The press can't help themselves. They are ****, like the **** they write to impress. Her's a link to the mail, they can't even give praise to the ref FFS! they gave him 5/10 even after saying he only mad one mistake in not sending off Kingston.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/2008/12/14/celtic-1-1-hearts-78057-20969735/

the only way to hurt them and avoid being wound up is to not buy a scottish edited paper, i never ever do because the back bone of journalism is fair and balanced reporting. the scottish media is so narrowminded and bitter its worrying, like collective dogs with a bone as far as hearts are concerned..................

the turn around that csaba has performed in the last few weeks has been nothing short of amazing. yet they focus on time wasting at parkhead,amongst other negatives,****sake,do me a favour...............

Jambof3tornado

Most jambos are intelligent enough to realise that a positive story about Hearts(or any other non old firm team),doesnt make people buy papers. Therefore the only stories that gain decent coverage are all of a negative nature or have a west coast spin added to them to make them more appealing to old firm fans.

Dont buy the papers,they wont care because there man readerbase is made up of old firm fans.

As has been said already we are Hearts and we dont care!!!:xmaswoot:

Livng through in the west of Scotland it has certainly become clear that the only news about Hearts the media is concerned with is bad news.

Everyday this week the Radio Clyde morning sports desk has had some negative story regarding Hearts. Never once was it mentioned that we were the form team in the country and how the manager had turned round playing performances in a short time.

We don't expect everything to be looked at through rose tinted spectacles but this week in particular from that Radio station has been a joke.

I would hope that events at Tynecastle would be reported in a more balanced way through in the east.

If the breakfast show wasn't worth listening to I would swith stations.

The part highlighted above is very pertinent IMO. I don't view everything at Hearts through rose tinted spectacles and neither, I suspect, do the vast majority of Heats fans. We're all well aware of the negative stories but the fact that the media seem completely unable or unwilling to give either the team, or especially Csaba, any credit for their current form without throwing in some cheap, snide jibe speaks volumes.

Forgot to add, the fact that so many Hearts fans seem quite so willing to jump on their doom and gloom bandwagon is very disappointing.

Why any Hearts fan buys or reads either the ****** or the S*um in particular I have no idea.

jamboinglasgow

I think the problem for the press is they like nice punchy soundbite answers. So to the question "Is interference an issue for you" they would hope for "its not ideal but I can work with it" so that they can have the headline "Csaba to Vlad, let me run my team" but with explaining the whole system and giving how things work they have to select quotes correctly and find the right things to put down meaning alot more work for them.

He is a great manager for fans, and some press, but the standard of football journalists here he can be a pain.

Also we have to face that the media down south have Hearts as a team of ridicule. They dont follow scottish football much but like the idea of a crazy owner. The only way we can change that round is to get among the old firm again and be noted. Produce talented youngsters who premiership clubs want, become more finanically viable than we will gain the respect of the English media, the Scottish media may respect us one day but I guess we have to have the mentailty of "no one (in the media) likes us, we dont care."

On a sidenote, does anyone know if Roddy Forsyth hates us? I was listening to an old fighting talk from five live just after the Riccarton 3 incident and he was a panelist, he spent nearly all his answers going about hearts, critising ROmanov obviously, but ranting on and on about the fans being stupid. Also he said on newsnight that Hearts were more sectarian than celtic.

On a sidenote, does anyone know if Roddy Forsyth hates us?

Here's your answer....

I was listening to an old fighting talk from five live just after the Riccarton 3 incident and he was a panelist, he spent nearly all his answers going about hearts, critising ROmanov obviously, but ranting on and on about the fans being stupid. Also he said on newsnight that Hearts were more sectarian than celtic.

:D

Forgot to add, the fact that so many Hearts fans seem quite so willing to jump on their doom and gloom bandwagon is very disappointing.

Why any Hearts fan buys or reads either the ****** or the S*um in particular I have no idea.

I don?t actually think it is that many - but certainly JKB contains more people who read all the press have to say and a good number of these also lap it up as truth. There are a few posters on here with very high post counts who both genuinely love the club and seem to have deep-seated issues regarding the management and ownership. Vlad?s tenure is not ideal, but my frustration is that he seems intent on doing things the hard way - There are certain parties with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo no matter how much they talk about change, but it seems at long last that Vlad is getting it right.

I don?t actually think it is that many - but certainly JKB contains more people who read all the press have to say and a good number of these also lap it up as truth. There are a few posters on here with very high post counts who both genuinely love the club and seem to have deep-seated issues regarding the management and ownership. Vlad?s tenure is not ideal, but my frustration is that he seems intent on doing things the hard way - There are certain parties with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo no matter how much they talk about change, but it seems at long last that Vlad is getting it right.

good point

in these days of uncertainty when our very bedrock of economy has been questioned we should all question 'those' who claim to have the answers in the press. The press also need to take a long hard look at themselves - has it occurred that the very fact they enjoy focusing on bad news has a detrimental effect on the free market and therefore the value of companies.

Hearts are not alone. Our shareprice dropped by 25% early last week - all over the press - "hovis makers doomed" it jumps 40% on Friday - not a peep....anywhere

Archived