No Fire Sale In January

Genghis Khan

Was talking to someone fairly senior (sub-Board level) at the club earlier on in the week and once our business had concluded we talked about HMFC in general.

This could be reverse-spin so take it how you want.

There will be no 'fire sale' in January although if clubs do meet HMFC's valuation of any player, offers would be considered. IMO, that's quite positive as I would expect that to be the case anyway and given VRs record of getting top dollar, we might not see the exodus that some expected.

All of the players were paid on Friday but that becomes a story in itself as far as the Scottish media are concerned. There will be an injection of capital in January but the club are expecting another couple of PR 'hits' until then.

Reading between the lines, Larry will be away in January but maybe not too unexpected.

Just thought I would share this but don't shoot the messenger! :xmasbabe:

Was talking to someone fairly senior (sub-Board level) at the club earlier on in the week and once our business had concluded we talked about HMFC in general.

There will be no 'fire sale' in January although if clubs do meet HMFC's valuation of any player, offers would be considered. IMO, that's quite positive as I would expect that to be the case anyway and given VRs record of getting top dollar, we might not see the exodus that some expected.

All of the players were paid on Friday but that becomes a story in itself as far as the Scottish media are concerned. There will be an injection of capital in January but the club are expecting another couple of PR 'hits' until then.

Reading between the lines, Larry will be away in January but maybe not too unexpected.

Thanks mate. 67 reads of the post and remarkable no one has commented on some positive news, even if just spin!

I'd be happy with the OP's scenario.

Slightly off topic but given the agreement with Nuremburg for Jose was in euros not pounds (and worth more with every passing day) does anyone know if they are likely to buy him? Does he play and if so do they like him?

I'd be happy with the OP's scenario.

Slightly off topic but given the agreement with Nuremburg for Jose was in euros not pounds (and worth more with every passing day) does anyone know if they are likely to buy him? Does he play and if so do they like him?

He was starting pretty reguarly until he got sent off v Frankfurt a couple weeks back, been a sub pretty much sinse.

Was apparently playing decent before the red card and the fee was only €1.4m(i think?) so there's a decent chance i suppose.

What is sub-board level?

Someone that works in the shop?

I would actually quite like us to sell Kingston tbh. Good player when he wants to be, but does not turn it on enough to merit his huge wages. Of the players of value, IMO Kingston would be the easiest to live without.

Guest JamboRobbo

Cheers for the info. As I said already elsewhere, if we have to sell someone, Kingston is the one who we could get money for, could take money off the wage bill, and who we could survive best without IMO.

So if we have to sell someone, he'd be the one.

I'm hoping that in January we say goodbye to Kingston, Makela, Audrey and Zaliukas.

If we can get ?3M+ and save ?25K per week from the wage bill from that lot then we can still have a decent and solvent season IMO.

I'm hoping that in January we say goodbye to Kingston, Makela, Audrey and Zaliukas.

If we can get ?3M+ and save ?25K per week from the wage bill from that lot then we can still have a decent and solvent season IMO.

In light of the speculation, I'd settle for that.

Buffalo Bill

I would NOT like Zal to leave. He is too important and his increasing understanding with Berra is paying dividends. Our defence looks more solid than has for yonks !

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Larry goes for ?2m(+) and Csaba is allowed to bring in his own right mid (which my guess will be someone with a bit of pace).

Every team is a selling team. If the right offer comes in it is hard to reject and that goes for everyone.

But like I have said to a few folk if we can get through the window without losing too many important players with the addition of one or two it will be massive and I think it will show Csaba is building a real force.

lost in leith
What is sub-board level?

Someone that works in the shop?

Campbell Ogilvie is 'sub-board'. No idea if that is who the OP is hinting at obviously. I would imagine CO at least knows who is and who is not a Hearts player, which makes him better informed than Rodney :xmastongue:

He was starting pretty reguarly until he got sent off v Frankfurt a couple weeks back, been a sub pretty much sinse.

Was apparently playing decent before the red card and the fee was only €1.4m(i think?) so there's a decent chance i suppose.

The fee agreed was Euro3.0, which, at the time, equated to ?2.3m. With the Euro soaring against the pound, the fee is now around 2.85m sterling...and rising!

Come on Jose, win that move!!

Irrespective of what happens in January, (fingers crossed Bruno, Aguiar and Driver stay), a fee of approaching ?3 for Jose (along with, I understand, a wage reduction of ?6 per week) would, along with increased ST sales (if we get into Europe and if we continue to play exciting footie) go a long way to making 2009/10 season the one where we could expect to break even.

Keep Shabba on board, let him ship out a few who will not make an impact and bring in a few affordable players and the future is looking bright.

Libertonian_II
I would actually quite like us to sell Kingston tbh. Good player when he wants to be, but does not turn it on enough to merit his huge wages. Of the players of value, IMO Kingston would be the easiest to live without.

I don't agree with Kingston being expendible. Who will replace him? The guys a class act

I don't agree with Kingston being expendible. Who will replace him? The guys a class act

I think the point is, if we have to sell to get some cash in, LK looks like the best option to raise cash.

Plus we won a few games on the bounce when he buggered off to Ghana.

I can live with losing Kingston if we keep Bruno, playing as he is at the moment. My concern is what do we do with Obua. So far he has been a huge disappointment but I can't help think that Csaba wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't any good. My hope (ever the optimist) is that he might turn into a good player for us, although I've seen absolutely no evidence to support my optimism.

In January if the bids meet the valuations I think we'll see maybe 1 or 2 leave but it'll be for good cash. We need to sign Bruno onto a new deal so we can get a good price in the summer. We can't afford to let him sign a precontract with anybody.

I'd like to see us take a hit with a few similar to the Pinilla and Beslijia deals. Perhaps getting Makela, Jose and Banks off the wage bill. If we sell Kingston and 1 other for ?3-?5M

If Csaba gets maybe ?1-?2m to invest back into the team in fees and wages then I think we'll do OK in the 2nd half of the season.

Or we may just hold on to all our players and buy a few more in. Vlad may like pretending to everyone that we're totally skint when actually we're minted... OK I'm away for a lie down now.

In January if the bids meet the valuations I think we'll see maybe 1 or 2 leave but it'll be for good cash. We need to sign Bruno onto a new deal so we can get a good price in the summer. We can't afford to let him sign a precontract with anybody.

I'd like to see us take a hit with a few similar to the Pinilla and Beslijia deals. Perhaps getting Makela, Jose and Banks off the wage bill. If we sell Kingston and 1 other for ?3-?5M

If Csaba gets maybe ?1-?2m to invest back into the team in fees and wages then I think we'll do OK in the 2nd half of the season.

Or we may just hold on to all our players and buy a few more in. Vlad may like pretending to everyone that we're totally skint when actually we're minted... OK I'm away for a lie down now.

That's my type of Fire Sale. :xmasbabe:

Libertonian_II

Question remains the same, who is going to replace Larry?

Sell him for all you want, but unless you get similar quality for less, the team will be weakened. FACT

Sell him for all you want, but unless you get similar quality for less, the team will be weakened. FACT

Maybe for the 4/5 games where we actually get to see what he's made of. Maybe we can get someone in that will put in a shift every game?

No doubting the boy has talent but his application and effort to the HMFC cause has to be in question.

If Berra and Driver are still Hearts players by the end of January I'll be reasonably happy. I dont mind losing anyone else apart from those two as long as we are getting players in as well as losing a few.

I can see Kingston, Zal and Aquiar all going. That ought to be enough to see us through financially to the summer.

Kingston doesnt want to be here anymore I suspect, despite what he says publicly.

I know for a fact that Zaluikas WANTS away

I doubt if we'll be able to keep Bruno because he'd have to take a wage cut to get a new contract.

Libertonian_II
Maybe for the 4/5 games where we actually get to see what he's made of. Maybe we can get someone in that will put in a shift every game?

No doubting the boy has talent but his application and effort to the HMFC cause has to be in question.

Quality over quantity does does it for me

If Berra and Driver are still Hearts players by the end of January I'll be reasonably happy. I dont mind losing anyone else apart from those two as long as we are getting players in as well as losing a few.

I can see Kingston, Zal and Aquiar all going. That ought to be enough to see us through financially to the summer.

Kingston doesnt want to be here anymore I suspect, despite what he says publicly.

I doubt if we'll be able to keep Bruno because he'd have to take a wage cut to get a new contract.

I actually think Aguiar's contract situation will keep him here till the end of the season. He'll sign a pre-contract with someone, but I don't think he'll go. In the cirrent climate I can't see anyone shelling out mad Vlad's valuation for him when they can have him match fit and for free come May.

Just curious - why does Zaluikas want away?

Not anymore as far as I can see.

How do you know that' date=' mate?[/quote']

I know someone who knows him and the other Lithuanian players. ALL the Lithuanian players want to leave and NONE will be extending their contracts with Kaunus. They're a bit peeved that they are not on anything like the same money as other comparable first team players at Hearts. We are talking about a huge difference in money. Thats the main reason although there are other reasons.

Zal has said he would sign a contract with Hearts if the money was right, and he's not looking for a huge amount, but he thinks he's going to be sold, which he is quite happy about.

Johanes de Silentio

I know someone who knows him and the other Lithuanian players. ALL the Lithuanian players want to leave and NONE will be extending their contracts with Kaunus. They're a bit peeved that they are not on anything like the same money as other comparable first team players at Hearts. We are talking about a huge difference in money. Thats the main reason although there are other reasons.

Zal has said he would sign a contract with Hearts if the money was right' date=' and he's not looking for a huge amount, but he thinks he's going to be sold, which he is quite happy about.[/quote']

Good knowledge - cheers for that, mate!

I actually think Aguiar's contract situation will keep him here till the end of the season. He'll sign a pre-contract with someone, but I don't think he'll go. In the cirrent climate I can't see anyone shelling out mad Vlad's valuation for him when they can have him match fit and for free come May.

I think it would be morally the right thing to do for Bruno to sign a contract with a reasonable release fee on it. That way he re-pays the club for rehabilitating him and gets a move if someone comes in for him at the right price.

Not sure how that will end up. Hopefully he signs a contract and we keep him, but I think that can only happen if we sell at least two others for decent money and if push comes to shove I'd rather keep Driver and Berra than Bruno.

I think it would be morally the right thing to do for Bruno to sign a contract with a reasonable release fee on it. That way he re-pays the club for rehabilitating him and gets a move if someone comes in for him at the right price.

Not sure how that will end up. Hopefully he signs a contract and we keep him, but I think that can only happen if we sell at least two others for decent money and if push comes to shove I'd rather keep Driver and Berra than Bruno.

From the way Bruno has talked about his treatment by Hearts during his injury, I am sure he would sign an extension if it was offered. I guess that will depend on getting others off the wage bill in January.

That's interesting about Zal. I assume that's also why Miko and Chesney are keen to get away. Whilst none of them are brilliant, I think these 3 can offer us something and will be missed.

From the way Bruno has talked about his treatment by Hearts during his injury, I am sure he would sign an extension if it was offered. I guess that will depend on getting others off the wage bill in January.

That's interesting about Zal. I assume that's also why Miko and Chesney are keen to get away. Whilst none of them are brilliant, I think these 3 can offer us something and will be missed.

They might not all be going overnight of course, because whilst they are contracted to Kaunus they play where Romanov tells them they are playing. Apart from Zal, who I rate very highly, I dont think any of them are worth fretting about should they leave anytime soon. Also, I dont know if what I said applies to Kello, because he's only just got here and I didnt think to ask. I assume he's happy for now.

The club could only keep Bruno if he agrees new terms to his contract. That would need to be based on a low wage and high playing and win bonuses.

We cannot afford to keep Bruno on a high wage if he has the same injury record as before and Bruno might not re-negotiate a pay-for-play deal for fear of losing too much money.

Catch-22!

:sad::1232::peepwall::mystic::clock::toasting: Strachan=:boak:

I think the point is, if we have to sell to get some cash in, LK looks like the best option to raise cash.

Plus we won a few games on the bounce when he buggered off to Ghana.

Iain is spot on. If we have to sell anybody, it would be Kingston. In my opinion, losing Berra would be harder for this squad to take. However, it is very "of the time" to defend Kingston's ability. He is playing well at the moment, when did he last play well for a run of games for us? I am sorry, but in the current climate, a five figure weekly wage and we should see more from him than two or three good games a season.

As for replacements, it would depend on who leaves I suppose. Both Mikoliunas and Cesnauskis have been rumoured to want to leave, which would leave us with no obvious player for that position. Thankfully, Laszlo has already said he plans to sign a right midfielder, we can only hope that his January signings are better than his August signings.

Exactly.

He is a class act.

To those who say "he only plays when he wants to play'

Two things.

1 Nobody doubts his ability.

2 Isn't it up to the manager to motivate him to play his BEST in EVERY game..not just SOME games?

Exactly.

He is a class act.

To those who say "he only plays when he wants to play'

Two things.

1 Nobody doubts his ability.

2 Isn't it up to the manager to motivate him to play his BEST in EVERY game..not just SOME games?

1. That is the annoying bit. We all know he has "it", why doesn't he show us that more than he has?

2. I agree with you to an extent, however we cannot blame Laszlo for Kingston's lack of interest. Laszlo seems to have made a huge impact on the players, they all say so and the results are starting to show it. If one doesn't react then he is the exception as opposed to the rule. The only thing that Laszlo can do is to not play him, and that would open a huge can of worms with both the fans and VR for not playing our highest earner and a saleable asset.

Great thread.

I'm encouraged by the 'no fire sale' chat because the Return on Investment decision has changed so much in the past two months.

Point being, there is now some "upside" to balance the decision. Third place is realistic, and that brings European football. The bargain changes from a short term 'asset strip to survive' to a medium term 'assuming you survive, do you want UEFA football or not'. Its not just TV rights either, but the window in which players can perform - more visibility, better the valuations. Short term knee jerk reactions will trade off with medium term opportunities. As a going concern, we've now got something going for ourselves.

There's some deadwood in the squad that needs chopping, and some contractual issues that need smoothing and some transfer fees that are due for recouping ...all in all, lots of reasons to hold onto the starting eleven we've got and ride out the financial storm.

Kingston - I'd keep him. He's a big game player and our games are going to get bigger by default. There's going to be a plausible run in where its our performances vis-?-vis the OF versus Dundee Utd. That's not convieniant, but if its the case, I'd rather have Kingston in the side to ensure a point as opposed to no point, or maybe snatch all three.

I'd also keep Kingston on the basis that Csaba will find players (read; strikers) who can work with him. I've said on these boards many many times that a lot of the 'blame Kingston' camp fail to reailse the source of the problem is the fact he's one of the most gifted players we've ever had, and the other ten are not. Think about it; how do you think Larry feels when threading a ball forward for Nade to (ahem, cough) "chase".

All good though,and some great comments on this thread.

Deodato

Great thread.

I'm encouraged by the 'no fire sale' chat because the Return on Investment decision has changed so much in the past two months.

Point being, there is now some "upside" to balance the decision. Third place is realistic, and that brings European football. The bargain changes from a short term 'asset strip to survive' to a medium term 'assuming you survive, do you want UEFA football or not'. Its not just TV rights either, but the window in which players can perform - more visibility, better the valuations. Short term knee jerk reactions will trade off with medium term opportunities. As a going concern, we've now got something going for ourselves.

There's some deadwood in the squad that needs chopping, and some contractual issues that need smoothing and some transfer fees that are due for recouping ...all in all, lots of reasons to hold onto the starting eleven we've got and ride out the financial storm.

Kingston - I'd keep him. He's a big game player and our games are going to get bigger by default. There's going to be a plausible run in where its our performances vis-?-vis the OF versus Dundee Utd. That's not convieniant, but if its the case, I'd rather have Kingston in the side to ensure a point as opposed to no point, or maybe snatch all three.

I'd also keep Kingston on the basis that Csaba will find players (read; strikers) who can work with him. I've said on these boards many many times that a lot of the 'blame Kingston' camp fail to reailse the source of the problem is the fact he's one of the most gifted players we've ever had, and the other ten are not. Think about it; how do you think Larry feels when threading a ball forward for Nade to (ahem, cough) "chase".

All good though,and some great comments on this thread.

Deodato

Great post mate, especially re Larry.

I have been defending Larry against the "blame Kingston camp" all season because the guy is "quality" but he did have to be more consistent which he is now showing.

In saying that I believe he will be sold in January but we should looking at 2m minimum.

Finally there is no-one to replace him at the moment in the squad and as someone said earlier "quality not quantity" is what we need to carry on improving.

Jambof3tornado

Just curious - why does Zaluikas want away?

Think of the money he could be on in Russia,compared to the relatively low income he has at Hearts. Perhaps he sees what Velicka is on a rangers and wants a bit of that.

He has done well of late for us and I would be saddened to see him or Berra move on,but thats life as a jambo.

Bruno should be offered a new deal,Larry should be offloaded to save money,he is a class act but 5 games a season isnt enough.

Surprised the moaners haven't latched on to the two PR hits still to come. No doubt, it will mean another six threads on how Hearts are bust and will fold be the end of Jan. I have always been of the opinion, that things are never as bad as was made out recently, and this thread only helps reinforce that mood.

Surprised the moaners haven't latched on to the two PR hits still to come. No doubt, it will mean another six threads on how Hearts are bust and will fold be the end of Jan. I have always been of the opinion, that things are never as bad as was made out recently, and this thread only helps reinforce that mood.

Did anyone ever find out what the 2 significant Commercial announcements were that CO alluded too in a recent interview?

Did anyone ever find out what the 2 significant Commercial announcements were that CO alluded too in a recent interview?

Woolworths are our new sponsor and XL Leisure Group are the clubs official travel agents.

:xmasgrin:

Was apparently playing decent before the red card and the fee was only ?1.4m(i think?) so there's a decent chance i suppose.

And given how weak the pound is, we will get more pounds to the Euro.

The fee agreed was Euro3.0, which, at the time, equated to ?2.3m. With the Euro soaring against the pound, the fee is now around 2.85m sterling...and rising!

Come on Jose, win that move!!

Irrespective of what happens in January, (fingers crossed Bruno, Aguiar and Driver stay), a fee of approaching ?3 for Jose (along with, I understand, a wage reduction of ?6 per week) would, along with increased ST sales (if we get into Europe and if we continue to play exciting footie) go a long way to making 2009/10 season the one where we could expect to break even.

Keep Shabba on board, let him ship out a few who will not make an impact and bring in a few affordable players and the future is looking bright.

?6?

vlad will sell any player,...but the great thing is he does get top dollar for them(in fact i would say he fleeces people, but its a matter of opinion)

2-3 of the first team could go in my opinion without any great panick as i feel between the youths and transfer targets they can be rplaced. im more concerned bout clearing the decks of the ones like makela, that just aint worth having round the corriders anymore

That's okay, then. Our worries are all over. Makween is glad that Makween logged on and read this, as Makween had previously had some concerns, so it's good to know that everything's okay.

Archived